Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome II - 2 Months Later - Feedback needed

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Rome II - 2 Months Later - Feedback needed

1-What would you give the game out of 10?
    If a 0 is a total train wreck of a game, both insulting and offensive, on top of being no fun to play -- and a 10 is enlightened perfection, a dream to play and a wonder to behold that both educates and inspires, then Rome II is a 4.9 (this is up from 3.5 at launch).

2-What are you most upset about currently? (if anything).
    The overall simplification of the game, dumbing down the whole experience to the point of being offensive to a thinking person looking for a real experience. Additionally the dearth of features and things to do with day to day empire building and planning is just sad. Lastly, 90% broken siege AI, 50% broken campaign AI, and the child safety features like Army transformer fleets.

3-Have Creative Assembly been doing a good job with updates and fixes?
    No, I wouldn't say a good job. They have been doing A JOB. Nothing more. Give them credit for working, but with the backward steps they have introduced at the same time, it cannot be called "good." What's been even better than their efforts BY FAR, is the modding community at TWC. It's why I'm still even bothering to play from time to time. Also, releasing paid DLC's at the same time flies in the face of doing a good job fixing the game.

4-If you had a friend who plays Shogun 2, would you recommend them Rome 2 now?
    No, I have already advised several people not to buy, and they haven't as a result of my review + the entire world wide web's reaction to this general failure.

5-What price is this game worth in your opinion?
    Currently $10. (Up from nothing at release).

6-What are you most impressed with in the game?
    The attempt to provide a measure of historical accuracy to the units, as yet unseen in a TW game. Along with this, I am very impressed by the amount of realistic diversity within any given unit, and the built in capacity for any unit to be more broadly composed of individuals wearing even completely different clothing and armor, even using different weapons (although no one has taken advantage of this yet).

7-In your opinion what needs to be done to improve the game? (if anything).

Features from Rome I, including features from the mods RTR, and EB should be implemented wherever possible to start, if they are not already.

The political intrigue component of the game is a total joke and is keeping the entire campaign play 2D. It needs complete revamp with features that add depth such as an interactive family tree, and a place/ways to interact with the characters in a meaningful way.

AI needs fixing across the board as mentioned above, and then further improving once it's fixed!

Armies must be restricted from transforming into naval fleets at their whim. UI overhaul. Unit re-balancing.

Building and economy overhauls, including more building slots for all cities.

Naval battles are awful. Where are the opportunities for tactics beyond blobbing masses of ships into a ramming orgy? Total naval overhaul with realistic handling characteristics, real wind gauge, greater ship diversity including ships with sails, ability to capture ships and/or loot scuttle them (WHERE IS THIS?), real ship-to-ship battles such as was in Empire, not blobbing mosh pits with men flying on invisible trampolines onto other ships.

Options to remove all extraneous graphical effects and icons, especially, the bright red and yellow icons marking gates and towers in sieges (who are these things for? For people who can't tell what a tower or gate looks like?! I THINK THEY ARE PROBABLY IN NEED OF GREATER HELP IN THAT CASE THEN).

Mods again have fixed this but an official 2 turn per year patch is needed with Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter season.

There are too many other improvements to list.

8-How many hours of Rome II have you played?
    9-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer?
    No, none of my friends have the game as mentioned above, save 1 who pre-orded, but due to the broken state of the game + constant patching & mod updating cycle, we have not even remotely wanted to try.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoman View Post
    7.5/10 and that's because I like the idea/design though some implementation of the design as of current status left much to be desired

The ideas/design that were not properly implemented like civil war, politics and families that were just 'thre' without actually doing anything or having an impact in the grand scheme of things. Even the 'delimma' does not feels like adilemma as I can choose anything with little or no consequences.

Fairly good. Free DLC offered one week before going on sale is a nice tough.

I guess my 'friends' are pretty matured and they can decide themselves. I'm not the type of person who will try to persuade anyone, for or against something as trivial as video games. Now if they want to borrow money from me to purchase a game then it's another question altogether.

USD34, the same as I have bought it.

The ideas, the scope, the modding potential.

Better optimization of course. The campaign AI to be a bit more aggresive will be better. As of now it seems a bit passive though maybe because of the way I'm playing affected this especially when I control much of the territories and have an army in each province that I have.

Civil war to be more meaningful and with far gravest consequences. Like now some stacks spwns outof nowhere which can be killed within 5 turns. I would imagine like half you settlement, depending on their loyalty rebelled and half your army with low loyalty general rebelled and since this should happen 3/4 of the game where player is already strong the other factions will side with you or with your rebel factions. The FOTS realm divide concept in much more interesting.

140 hours or something.

Nope. Haven't played MP.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

1. 8/10 Could easily be the best TW if some of the potholes are filled.
    2. Siege AI is still dicey. I have battles set to 20 mins because 1/2 of AI assaults glitch out.
    3. I would say yes. I might be one of the luckier ones, but i never had performance issues after patch 1 and any crashes I experienced were quickly addressed in weekly patches. I am quite happy how the game runs on my system and have been since patch 4. Rome 2 runs better for me than either ETW, NTW or S2 with similar settings. Go figure.
    4. Yes, but S2 is a different kind of game. I much prefer the wide open sandbox R2 offers over the linear track we got in S2. I also missed the Grand Campaign of ETW when i played NTW for the same reason.
    5. $50 USD/CAD
    6. The CAI (since patch 4) followed by the very immersive battles we get in R2. I really like the attention to detail, the sounds, banter and action up close. I like the Hollywood-esque spectacle I get in my battles. All i need now is a blood pack. Beyond that, I like the new provincial system. I like the added strategic layer of multiple faction in the same province and I like that I do not have to resort to auto-manage when the tedium of managing a large empire sets in. I am not the same gamer I was ten years ago when i had all that extra time to count squalor and farms. These days, game time is at a premium, I want to quickly survey my empire, adjust as needed and then get to the fun parts: diplomacy, managing armies and having battles.
    7. They need to revisit the politics system. As it is, it hardly makes sense and those "events" that require my attention are just pointless. They also need to make the UI more user-friendly. It isn't very intuitive, or not what I am used to from TW games. I do not need to mention BAI since we all know there are still problems with sieges and such. That said, I still lose to the AI when i am out-numbered and the CAI seems pretty good at positioning their armies on the campaign map to set that up
    8. 60 hours or so
    9. I haven't played MP

cheers
    Last edited by Torio; October 30, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

6/10. Because a 9 would be a nearly PERFECT game and this one is a modest good one. But I fancy a lot of gameplay mechanics and deep strategy decisions and a demanding AI more than just juicy graphics.
    The skeuomorphistic UI that ruins immersion and the lack of different gameplay mechanics for the different cultures. In fact they are all the same. A good counterpart would be Crusader Kings 2 (with DLCs) where playing as a christian feudal lord or a republic patrician or a pagan viking raider or a muslim ruler offers different games.
    Not yet. But one does not climb a mountain with five steps.
    Not yet. Let's see how modable it is in it's core.
    30€
    The scale of possibilities that they could have had if they would had put more effort on strategy than on casual arcade gaming.
    Way more gameplay mechanics, an AI that can nearly handle the scale of the game and A LOT OF PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZING
    Nearly 1509-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer?
    Not yet.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

two months later??? the game still sucks...buggy as hell, with end turn crashes/ai turn crashes because they still refuse to fix autosave/quicksave feature...whopping "2"
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Rating: 6/10

The game feels 60% complete, and so 6/10. In terms of content, I'd say the same.

Battles and how armies fight. This to me is the core of any TW game. I can skip all other important things in the campaign map, but battles should be as close to perfection as possible.

There are still bugs, but yes, I believe they have. The problem is the rate at which they are able to churn out the fixes. However, reading what other's say, I believe there are still core issues that need to be addressed instead of saying the "only 2%" thing.

Definitely not. But if he really wants to, I'd tell him not to expect gaining much from it. The Era is good, and the theater, but that's about it.

20$

The game hasn't given me the "ooh!" factor. So none. If you really want something, maybe when having a Fawn turn into a beautiful white horse.

There's a lot. More depth. Time limited objectives with consequences. Generals and Defections. Deeper politics, AI, UI, campaign, events, etc.

Steam reports a lot. But hey, that doesn't mean anything. I would have spent days straight playing this game had it been good enough. But the first day I played, after 6 hours, I immediately started looking for PFM. Within those hours, trying to find fixes.

Currently I'm playing it to test mods or make one. That's it. But the base game, if modding was absent, I don't know.

No, I haven't. I don't enjoy multiplayer. Hacks and quacks everywhere. Besides the only way for me to enjoy MP is if my opponent had the same mod. The base game is just terrible for MP.
    Last edited by GnaReffotsirk; October 30, 2013 at 03:48 AM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Keep it on-topic guys.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Libertus

7/10 - trying not to let my high expectations of the game and my love of the era influence my judgement

- over-simplified family/faction politics, including civil war (aka "realm divide light")
    - campaign UI (clicks-to-information ratio is way too high, limited key customisability)
    - battle speed
    - map design (grossly overblown terrain obstacles and cities)
    - multiplayer is a step backwards from S2TW

YES, due to frequent patches, some free DLC and feedback in their forum

YES, absolutely

30 EUR + eventually 10-20 EUR for future expansions

- not really "in the game": the TW series fan base and the modding community are awesome
    - seriously, I think CA has done a very good job with the AIs; they are not perfect, but at least meaningful throughout the game
    - battle graphics
    - amphibious battles

- more work on units and battle mechanics
    - get rid of the torches once and for all, bring back sappers asap
    - work on multiplayer/avatar campaign options
    - sadly, after just a few weeks I already think that, just as with RTW, only an expansion will really make R2TW shine

ca. 150hs

no

Indefinitely Banned

Good thread, sorry ive still made a mess of it when answering these questions, slighty rushed atm, but it nice to get a more direct picture of what the community thinks needs improving, instead of zerg threads flogging the same dead horse. Hopefully people will touch up on alot more points on an average that would or could have helped to improve the game as a whole.

6.9/10

Political system lacking a bit, BAI isn't great, Sieges need improving, blobbing, which makes the small unit sizes of vanilla seem smaller, general arcadey feel, battles seem to happen to quick, unless using a mod to increase unit sizes and HP a bit.

Should have been more turns a year to represent seasons a bit better. Should have had some more diplomatic options, like ending/peacing out wars for client state as a war leader or such, like what you would find in victoria two (it would have helped juice things up in a MP campaign)

The game still felt it lack some immersion, i would have liked to have seen chariot races or gladitor fights better represented, with an option to view ongoing races and place a bet or send your champion to represent your house in the games, even if represented via random chances agent video's. The game should have been more of a challenge on legend, although the BAI still would not have done it much justice unless given stacks to spam.

Sometimes CTD if assaulting walls with siege equipment, which could be annoying ina MP campaign. Should have been more victory conditions for MP campaign, so players are given more then one way to skin a cat, instead of just taking the capital and winning, like that of singleplayer. The mini goals of singleplayer should have been in the MP campaign also, as this had the chance of causing a player to take unnecessary risk to fulfill goals for cash sums that could end up being more costly anyway.

Battle maps seem quite small, almost all 1v1 ish, which is a shame when line of sight is a feature of this game, and map edges can be a exploit. Singleplayer could have done with just a bit more oomph and immersion, aswell as difficulty. Should have had beta testing for all those who pre ordered.

Yes, slowly but surely, hopefully they are getting there, although with the previous patches, i can't see any huge improvement or impact upon gameplay.

To be honest, i got alot of friends to pre order, but would tell any future buyers to wait until the sales are on.

I bought the collector edition, which to be honest, now seems quite steep, the actual game itself is probably worth £20 - £25 because of the bad BAI.

The Campaign map is impressive, but still seems kinda small, the idea behind provinces is good, aswell as army traditions and stances. The overall concept was good, The naval landings are good. Game does work fairly well in MP, and does seem more streamlined for competitive MP campaigns, much like that of NW:TW imo. Compared to Empire, ths release wasn't as buggy, but seemed very bland unlike empire at first.

Sorry didn't really set out my response before getting to this question, but hopefully your be able to see what i think needs improving via the other questions, there are a few other things that don't come to mind just yet, but i think working on the BAI/CAI could help hugely, also mod tools for modders to help flesh out the singleplayer some more, and maybe see some MP varient mods that can be used. Also blobbing doesn't do much for immersion with such small vanilla unit sizes.

228 hours

For me, MP versus campaign is were the game gets to shine, since all armies will be played controlled, and keeps things by far, more interesting. Singleplayer won't be a challenge unless using mods. Also there is a bug in MP versus campaign, that for some reason if 3-4 armys engage, 3 of them being ai armies, both human players can end up playing on the same side, which defeats the purpose of a versus campaign and attempting to hamper your foe. I have posted this bug a while back, but not sure if it as been fixed yet.
    Last edited by AgentGB; October 30, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

This is all great stuff thanks for the many replies!

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

wow. i am surprised that almost none of you here play mp...
    i played 150 hour so far and only MP . ^_^
    i would give 8/10 for MP.

7/10

The lack of creativity in all factions other than Rome; A pointless political system; That the faction selection screen never turned out to be this; BAI doesn't know what flanking means; I personally don't think anything should cut public order by -10 as in my opinion it leads to some seriously under-developed provinces because you just can't deal with the unhappiness just yet; Generals die too quickly (I've never had a max level general); Certain buildings aren't represented on the campaign and battle map that could totally be represented on the map (e.g. farms, "flocks of sheep," temples, taverns, slave markets; Sieges feel like attacking an empty city which I believe CA will need to consider for upcoming games. That's just a few things.

Oh yeah, game runs much better now, but the graphics are still not what they advertised.

My friends who played S2 play R2 too.

Maybe £20.

The scale. It definitely feels like a much bigger game with a lot more to have to consider in the campaign.

Eliminate CTD's, improve AI, optimise the game more, add more units for other factions other than Rome and also make the other factions feel like they're developing too. I mean, why the heck don't we get provincial units? If I own Thrace, I want Thracian Peltasts.

59, totally campaign based.

Nope lol.

Hope that helped

6/10 for the up to date vanilla version

Sorry I cant choose just one - AI is still terrible and nonensical both in battles and campaign. Armies simply do not behave like armies. Roman armies are hugely underpowered. Combat is still over too soon with too many casualties too fast. Units dont keep formation, even worse with the new "rotating units" bug. Still no guard mode - "hold the line" command. Legionaries dont have the ability to throw javelins defensively. Units are too "template"-ish - eg all melee infantry throw javelins before charge. Hoplite phalanx does not work. 1tpy is pathetic. Current political system is pathetic, absolutely brainless. Civil war mechanism is contrived and nonsensical.

Yes, but still a long way to go.

Yes, Shogun 2 started this arcadish trend in Total War games. I will especially recommend if Shogun 2 is the ONLY total war game the friend likes.

USD39

The current state of Pike Phalanx after patch 5. I have had most fun in my Macedonian and Seleucid campaigns. I like the audio-visual feel of battles. Also the combat animations obviously are great. But I would rather they focus on tactics and historicity.

See my response to Q2. All those issues should be fixed.

200+

No, I hate multiplayer. Focus on fast pace and "streamlining" for multiplayer is one of the main reasons Total War is getting worse.
    Last edited by prithupaul; October 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

1. 8/10 (with mods) 6.5/10 (without mods)

2. Siege and naval battles are still broken, AI is very badly done in that view.

3. I can not say that they are doing a bad job, they have certainly fixed the game up and more patches are coming so I can only hope that all issues will be fixed.

4. I would recommend that they wait 1 or 2 moths before purchasing it.

5. 40$ imho, but as patches come who knows.

6. Graphics, unit detail (they really look alive), immersion, campaign AI works perfectly unmodded now...

7. Battle AI needs tactical improvement, Siege AI needs major fixing, Naval Battles need to be overhauled as a whole since they are truly unplayable and performance could be tweaked a bit more.

8. Over 100.

9. Nah, I'm more of an introvert and I'm waiting for more fixes before I try Multiplayer.

6/10 only because the lack of optimisation make the huge battles impossible even on good computers, for me tw games have to show huge battles with 20000, 30000 men on battlefield.

1/CPU bottleneck and lack of optimisation
    2/The unit multiplier that has disapeared
    3/Some bad animations (for elephant for example, or swords that kill without touching etc.) or men sliding on the ground
    4/ I still don't like unit cards, luckely it will be easely modded.

No, the worst things remain fps drops and lags, no real improvment for the moment.

No, because of the problems of optimisation.
    It's not a question of money, if the game is good, spending money is not a problem.
    unit variety, I like also the possibility of changing your maps easely, even if some are repetitive, I like big cities too.

A big big work to bring back huge and epic battles: optimisation and unit multiplier please, some animations need to be redone. An option need to be done to port battlefields from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 if needed (specially for naval battles). It could be very good also to decide yourself, before the battle, where the deployment zones will be.
    185 hours but at least half were spent trying to fix all the problems of lags and performance.
    no. A thing that CA should know is that most of the players don't like TW games because of multiplayer, it is no need to loose his time on multiplayer, better work on optimization next time.

10' : I would add that Total war needs really a new engine:
    to improve performances, to bring back huge battles and even to reach 40000 or 50000 men in battle (no need to get higher and higher models quality if you have to play with 2000 soldiers only), have better siege battles, better AI etc. A lot of errors have been done also concerning animations and bad physics.

TO sum up, the main thing that annoys me is that we can't play huge battles anymore, which was for me the main advantage of Total war games.
    Last edited by panzerschreck; October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi there, I'm doing a video for the site about the state of Rome II 2 months after release.

I wanted to get some feedback about the game from everyone. I have been scouting the forums and looking to see what people think but I still have some questions that need to be asked.

Bear in mind that there we are 4 patches in, and there has been several DLC drops (Greek States, Seleucid and Nomadic Tribes packs)

I will ask you to pretend as if the game has just released (in this state). FORGET ANYTHING YOU THOUGHT BEFORE PATCH 4.
    and please dont just spam hate on the game, please just be reasonable.
    the purpose of this video is to inform people of the game's current state, if they should purchase it, or if the game is now acceptable or better to the people who originally gave it 0/10 on metacritic.

still a 5 out of 10

performance issues for high end computers and maxed out settings, cut content compared to Rome 2, streamlined functionalities and degrade of graphical features compared to Shogun 2. And because it is unplayable for MP in teams 2v2 and bigger because
    of network issues (or at least lags for non hardware related issues)

Partly. I am curious about why they dropped the weekly beta and seem to be delayed since patch 4. I wonder also why they make beta patches when not reacting on issues like since patch 4 the dropped maxed out settings by 12,5 % based from an already awful level of 30 fps on my rig (Shogun 2 - 77 fps)

NEVER, I do not hold back to not recommend him this crap it is since release. I am very unsure if core aspects can be fixed / modded from the information I have.

I paid 27 € incl preorder "gifts". The price I PAID is reasonable if I take into account you already got "a lot" factions for free now. The price other people paid and even those for the collectors edition is painful.
    In some cases you need also consider people spent hundreds even thousand of bucks more for hardware which reveals to be USELESS in Rome 2 compared to Shogun 2.

The trees and cities look beautiful. The unit and map details on maxed out settings are pleasure for your eyes, but they could be better still.

Performance, performance, performance, (Steve Ballmer: Developers! Developers! Developers!) and the siege AI. The replays need to be fixed, unit size issue, global chat lobby and chat usability.
    They will be busy enough with that but there are so many issues left aside that. "Free for all" would be nice to have back.

38 hours. A lot of them for testing patch behaviours and benchmarking reporting and recording bugs for CA!

I do play only multiplayer and multiplayer campaign (if it would be possible even)
    Thanks very much everyone.

For those who have commented and may be represented or quoted, they will appear in this channel:

youtube.com/darrentotalwar

Subscribe to see the video on November 3rd. Rome II, 2 months later.

I'd just like to thank all of you who have responded to this and to those who gave me +rep for it. The more the better so keep the feedback coming, hopefully the video will be done by november 3rd and can shed some light on the state of the game currently.
    Last edited by alQamar; October 30, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

1-What would you give the game out of 10? Probably 8, possibly 9, around 4 at release.

2-What are you most upset about currently? (if anything). Family politics. Still seems detached from the rest of the game.

3-Have Creative Assembly been doing a good job with updates and fixes? Yes, not finished yet but massively improved from release when I found the game virtually unplayable.

4-If you had a friend who plays Shogun 2, would you recommend them Rome 2 now? Yes, I'd lend them the cash and give them my car in order to be able to get this game.

5-What price is this game worth in your opinion? £30 - £40, I paid £25, which even at the time I thought was cheap for a game of this scope.

6-What are you most impressed with in the game? How improved it is since release. I now regard it as game worth playing, rather than a waste of money, as I thought after my initial purchase.

Faction politics without doubt. Also tweak the 4th level buildings a little - currently they aren't worth bothering with.

8-How many hours of Rome II have you played? 2009-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer? No, have never played multiplayer and am not planning on doing so.
    Aymez Loyaulté

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Before any patch : 3,5. Now : 3,5.

I despite pretty much everything thing from this game except the TW formula campaign/battle. If I need to mention a single one then it is the transformer armies/navies. because of it, the campaign map is threatened in its most basic aspect, land and sea are not anymore radically different environment and the what happens on the map does not makes sense anymore. Iberian tribes raid Sicily, Tunisia and even Italy itself just because they happened to have a single military incident with Carthage and/or Rome. Sparta sue the sea as an highway to attack Epirus in the first 5 turns. Etc ...

Difficult to say. They have not radically changed the game to fix it but how could we ask them to successfully do in 2 months what they failed to do in 2 years ? Even then it took a full month and 4 patchs to finally have the unit slider working as it should ... So the support seems as mediocre as the game was at release.

No. Not even to a fan of TW and ancient time warfare. I'm actually encouraging a friend to get FotS after his disappointment with RII.

5 euros. Not a single more. 10 euros for the game and all its dlc that have been released and all who will be released in the future. I am ready to spend 30 to 40 euros for a complete expansion like NTW who would fix most problems of RII.

No positively ? Really difficult to say. I like ... the close up camera and the animations prior to fighting. When they soldiers are hurling, trying to intimidate their enemies, smash their shields to encourage each others. The camera is not really worth mentioning as it existed in one way or an other in each TW titles but CA did a good job with the non-combat animations. It must be the only thing I like in this game with the historical setting.

Completely re-make the game. I have been a partisan of great "reforms" in TW prior to RII release but in this case I am talking of a complete rework "vanilla touch" if I could say so. I bought FotS just before RII release during a steam sales and while there are things I don't like in this title, I have been enjoying a lot this game without any mod as I did with NTW and S2 to name the most recent.

In case of greater change I would like to see everything changed. Among them there is the map. I would take any day a smaller map in term of geographical area represented for a more detailed map with a better scale. How could we miss cities like Corinth or Capua ? How could Alexandria takes a third of Egypt ?

Around 60 hours. A good third of it working on and enjoying a battle mod limited to Rome and Carthage.

No. I am a single mode player. More interested in immersion and atmosphere than competition so that's certainly not the fault of the game if I did not tried the multiplayer.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; October 30, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Bear in mind that there we are 4 patches in, and there has been several DLC drops (Greek States, Seleucid and Nomadic Tribes packs)

I will ask you to pretend as if the game has just released (in this state). FORGET ANYTHING YOU THOUGHT BEFORE PATCH 4.
    and please dont just spam hate on the game, please just be reasonable.
    the purpose of this video is to inform people of the game's current state, if they should purchase it, or if the game is now acceptable or better to the people who originally gave it 0/10 on metacritic.

Sieges. Romans don`t fight like Romans would. Fire pilums everywhere. Terrible family mechanic, nothing means anything. Awful civil war.

Average.

No.

£5.

Fight animations, general graphics, huge map. Number of random factions.

FIX sieges. Add much more depth to Family\senate mechanic. Realistic reason for civil wars that don`t feel like its on a basic script.

Not much, mostly just testing.

No.
    Thanks very much everyone.

Thanks to you.

I caution you away from rating the game on a 10 point scale. First putting a number on a game is mostly meaningless.
    Secondly people auto acquaint 10 and 100 point scale to the grade scale they grew up with where anything under
    6 is a failure making half the scale meaningless. And third and most importantly there are definitely three separate scales
    development/beta/release. Release would qualify that all the systems in the game have their basic functionality working
    and since offensive siege ai and multiplayer are completely broken R2 is actually in final development versioning. Once the siege ai is fixed we will
    have a pretty good beta build. So

5 / - / -

They released an unfinished game, they were at least 6 months too early by my estimates off all the builds we have seen.
    Even the campaign AI which some people have said is working better is basically at the leveling of "working" it still runs
    into the ocean to chase units and leaves itself exposed and can barely defend its cities. When it does defend its cities the defensive AI
    can basically defend a single gate. Naval battles are basically meaningless as the auto-resolve almost always yields a better result even though
    transports were nerfed.

No because that doesn't apply, what were seeing is iterations of development builds.

No.

$0 it's not finished

Graphics.

Redesign the gameplay and focus on a shorter period of history. Go back to 4 turns per year (which would fix the general don't matter issue), introduce weather in a more realistic manner with seasons.
    Actually introduce supply concepts to the campaign map. Make army and general attributes meaningful and require decisions instead of being luck based and mostly meaningless. Totally revamp politics.
    Spend ALOT more time on all aspects of the AI. Bring back the guard button.

66 at current steam count

? Its basically broken.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast