Thread: PaulH's Mods Updated 13/11/2013 - No Air Units Beta

Default PaulH's Mods Updated 13/11/2013 - No Air Units Beta

PaulH's No Air Units Mod - BETA

Today I hit my limit with this mod. An army of Yvressian Sea Guard (16 Units), a General, and two Bolt Throwers were wiped out by a single unit of Great Eagles. Now, I am fine with the idea of Flying Units in games but sadly Total War doesn't work for them, and after being pissed off after such a massive loss, I have made this mod. I should warn you that it is in it's beta, so it is highly likely that it will have some problems, especially since it is my first time ever editting the export_descr_unit file but it did seem to work on the small bit of testing I did.

The features this mod has thus far:

- Removed Manticores from Naggoroth and the Dark Elves by setting their only available faction to Slave.
    - Removed Dragon Riders from Caledor by setting their only available faction to Slave.
    - Removed Griffons from Yvresse by setting their only available faction to Slave.
    - Removed Great Eagles from Saphery and the High Elf faction by setting their only available faction to Slave.

What this mod still needs to do:

- Completely remove unit entries for all flying units
    - Give Yvressian Faction Leaders a different bodyguard unit as they currently still use Griffons, I am either going to give them Noble Cavalry or Yvressian Sea Guard
    - Give Caledor Faction Leaders a different bodyguard unit as they currently still use Dragons, I am considering giving them Dragon Princes instead.
    - Look into whether there are any other pesky flying units hidden out there in the shadows.

Download Here. 294.52kb

To install this mod, just download the file and then go to your Medieval 2 Total War folder, then go to the Sundering Mod folder, then data. On my computer it looks like this:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\The_Sundering\data

Just copy and paste the new export_descr_unit file into the data folder. Be sure to make a back up of the original export_descr_unit file just in case my mod has unforeseen problems.

Hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: FURTHER TESTS HAVE SHOWN THAT IT WILL CRASH IF YOU TRY TO LOAD AN OLD SAVE, THIS MOD WORKS FINE ON NEW CAMPAIGN SAVES SO FAR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaulH's New Loading Screens for
    The Sundering: Rise of the Witch King

After noticing that my previous additions to the loading screens (found elsewhere in the forum) were not added to the latest release I have decided to tweak them for a new style, and to add a couple of new ones in. I hope you enjoy the new style, I found it easier to read the quotes using it. Please note that all the original loading screens have been editted to suit this new style.

An Example Image:

Download Here. 16.58MB

This Pack contains 16 Loading Screens.

To install these loading screens, just open the .RAR file and then go to your Medieval 2 Total War folder, then go to the Sundering Mod folder, then data and then Loading Screen. On my computer it looks like this:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\The_Sundering\data\loading_screen

Just copy the loading screens from the .RAR file into the loading screen folder. Be sure to make a back up of all the old loading screens just in case you do not want to keep my ones.

Hope you enjoy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #1

I made an alternative version using the same border but instead finding artwork instead of computer graphics for the image. The number of wallpapers in this one are double that of the last one. I hope you enjoy them.

An Example Image:

Download Here. 34.96MB

This Pack contains 31 Loading Screens.

Install these images to the same location as shown on the original loading screen pack:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\The_Sundering\data\loading_screen

Or the equivilent install location for The Sundering.

Again, I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by PaulH; November 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: PaulH's New Loading Screens - Updated 27-10-2013

Good job, I'll take an artwork version, thank you very much. +rep
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Thank you very much "the man, the myth, the legend"! I'm aiming on releasing a few other tweaks in the future, and once Struggle for the Old World gets released I will be doing another art pack of loading screens for it.

First post updated with No Air Units BETA release.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: PaulH's Mods Updated 13/11/2013 - No Air Units Beta

hum... I've tried these eagles ingame and they are really immortal.

but why that? it is because they are flying so units cant hit them? or maybe their stats are no sense or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    hum... I've tried these eagles ingame and they are really immortal.

but why that? it is because they are flying so units cant hit them? or maybe their stats are no sense or something like that?
    My personal theory on this is that their speed is so immense that it makes it nigh impossible for the units capable of killing them by shooting to hit their target. Their movement is very fast, faster than anything I have seen on Total War before and they move so erractically as well that the units that shoot have no hope of hitting them.

the animations and models fo these eagles are so cool that I think it worth it to change their status to try something. Maybe we can get them to work properly.

the animations and models fo these eagles are so cool that I think it worth it to change their status to try something. Maybe we can get them to work properly.

Ever you build stakes to kill manticore?

They are very well made, and are probably the best implemented flyers in any Total War mod I have played except for their total imbalance. I'm not a fan of air units in Total War really as I feel they just don't work so for now I'm working on making a submod that removed all flyers entries in the games, but maybe after that I could try tweaking with their stats although it will be a first for me. I think if they are to be balanced they need to be susceptible to normal arrow fire, and their speed needs to seriously be reduced. That may help make them less of a cheat unit.

I've messed with some unit stat values for the eagles. I can make them to move slower, but that actually changes nothing on our problem. I also lowered their attack, hit points and defense, but they are still immortal.

I've messed with some unit stat values for the eagles. I can make them to move slower, but that actually changes nothing on our problem. I also lowered their attack, hit points and defense, but they are still immortal.
    That seems very unusual, I would have thought that a speed reduction would have at least made them more targetable by bolt throwers and mages, I wonder what could be causing their immortality.. Unless they have been given an armour type/defence value (I don't know how these work) that makes them invulnerable to most forms of weaponry? It's definitely something that needs looking at for the main mod, as it is basically a game breaking unit.

i tried spears (lots of them) and arrows.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Any updates on this leo, i agree about the immortality of flying units in this mod but i think removing them entirely is not the solution (they are just too awesome). Anyone come up with something to make them less immortal?

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

You could slightly decrease their defense stat in the EDU until you find them balanced ^^