Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Still working furiously on RS2 settlements...just an update so you know I haven't quit.

New palaces and colonnades in Rome:

Updated an enhanced Forum Romanum:

New Basilica added to Rome:

Redone Roman tenament building:

Rome is finished. The Roman settlements that will be used in Italy and Sicily are all finished (town to huge city).
    The default Roman large and huge city is done....working on the Roman city level which will include a fort on a hill surrounded by the settlement. It currently looks like this, but it's not finished:

This particular settlement 'set' will progress from a town with a complete fort in it (styled after archaeological reconstructions as much as possible), that grows through stages where the fort walls are all that's left at the city level, and then gone at the large city and huge city level. The intention is to better represent the 'colonization' of the Romans around forts and fortifications.

When the Romans are finished I will start on the Greeks, because I need to know what I will have available to use in Eastern and Egyptian settlements. I basically had to step back and plan all this out a bit better, because I was getting too confused and excited about all the things I could do....and the things I WANT to do.

Reposted here since I originally put it in the wrong place.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Still working furiously on RS2 settlements...just an update so you know I haven't quit.

New palaces and colonnades in Rome:

Updated an enhanced Forum Romanum:

New Basilica added to Rome:

Redone Roman tenament building:

Rome is finished. The Roman settlements that will be used in Italy and Sicily are all finished (town to huge city).
    The default Roman large and huge city is done....working on the Roman city level which will include a fort on a hill surrounded by the settlement. It currently looks like this, but it's not finished:

This particular settlement 'set' will progress from a town with a complete fort in it (styled after archaeological reconstructions as much as possible), that grows through stages where the fort walls are all that's left at the city level, and then gone at the large city and huge city level. The intention is to better represent the 'colonization' of the Romans around forts and fortifications.

When the Romans are finished I will start on the Greeks, because I need to know what I will have available to use in Eastern and Egyptian settlements. I basically had to step back and plan all this out a bit better, because I was getting too confused and excited about all the things I could do....and the things I WANT to do.

Reposted here since I originally put it in the wrong place.
    how wonderful.

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

Are u planning to use the possibilities unlocked by memory editing?
    You already have readdy additional factions, like Bithynia, Massalia, Pergamon, Galatia etc, would be amazing to put them all together in one campaign.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

great idea to build the roman settlement around the fort.maybe thats an option also for roman towns, walled fort in the midddle holding the square and unwalled settlement around it.
    and only the stone wall shoud be buildable from large city onwards?so you have an unwalled settlement when town,large town and city.

iv played the new RTR project recently and they have a verry nice wooden wall model,it looks perfect to use as fort walls and for the fort like you used inside the settlement.
    maybe ask permission to use it. gonna take a picture from it and post it here....
    Sleepysmoo and florin80 for their Wall Mod.they made the mod i believe

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by tungri_centurio; June 04, 2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: adding pictures and names of makers
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great work!!

I have played XC a lot and it also had those wooden walls.
    They are very fun to play with but they didnt have animations for collapse of sections/towers.
    Not sure if thats hardcoded or if it was a problem with the mod.

I think it would be interesting to add them to the mod since we wont have large and epic walls anymore.
    They are not too tall and they could be the second level wall.
    Pelisade>Wooden Wall>Stone Wall
    It would also give barbarians more choice in walls(not just fence or stone).

Patrician

New Roman fort:

Actually found the barracks buildings for this fort (the long ones that are lined up in rows) existent in the game...though they were never used anywhere. Pictured you will see the Preatorium in the center, the Principium behind it, a cavalry barracks in the far left corner, and a couple granaries.

I'm thinking of using this layout as the default 'Roman Town'....adding a few buildings so as to follow the theme that Roman settlements were often built up around existing forts.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Now that's very nice! And whilst I look at it and think of those little arrow towers - can I make a little plea when you are looking at your towns and the early wooden walls? For there often seems to be a massive distance between towers and/or just missing or in the wrong places - and it would be nice if they did cause at least a few casualties.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Now that's very nice! And whilst I look at it and think of those little arrow towers - can I make a little plea when you are looking at your towns and the early wooden walls? For there often seems to be a massive distance between towers and/or just missing or in the wrong places - and it would be nice if they did cause at least a few casualties.
    I'll check them out.....it may be just a limitation in how the walls are put together by RTW, but I'll see what I can do.

Speaking of forts, I have an idea I want to run by people before I actually DO it, because it's a bit of radical change from what people are used to regarding forts. LT1956 explained to me not long ago why the AI doesn't attack forts the way it should...this was a 'bug' actually introduced by patch 1.3. Apparently, there is a discrepancy between how many turns the AI 'thinks' it needs to wait in order to attack the fort during a siege, and the actual number of turns it DOES have to wait. The AI 'thinks' it has to wait three turns, but the game says it has to wait two turns...the result is that the AI will never assault a fort. You just end up waiting two turns, and then you go to the battlefield and you have to sally out of the fort to attack the AI...it will not attack you.

I often wondered why that was, but had no explanation. What I propose to fix this would fix two things, actually. First, it would allow forts to have stone walls....which they cannot now have (as the AI will never have the right equipment to attack them anyway). BUT....if I set the stone walls in place already, and use the 'borders' from another settlement layout, there can be stone walls, but the gates will always be 'open'. In this case, the AI will likely attack a fort quickly (within the one or two turn limit), and would need no siege equipment. I haven't tested this, but I think it would solve this problem.

What do people think? I think it would make forts a bit more interesting, and not force the player to always have to sally forth to engage the AI. Instead, you'd have to defend the gates, and you could have men on the walls.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Making towers more dangerous is an interesting idea.
    Capturing one would be a bigger deal in the first phase of an assault and since DVK is getting rid of Epic walls/towers that fire nukes they wont be as important(in their current state).

Patrician

As I suspected, you can't connect a tower section to another tower section...there needs to be a straight section in between them. I actually changed the wall layout by substituting a tower section for a straight, and the game just ignored it.

The Romans are finished for now, anyway......on to the Greeks!!

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I like your idea of improving the forts but i think the AI will get into a bottleneck at the gate.
    Maybe you can have the fort walls damaged a bit when the siege starts to give the attacker more options.

To be honest i had no idea that forts in RS2 looked differently than vanilla.
    The AI never really attacks them and also never uses them.

I'll leave my suggestion here: it would be good to have ALL units available for custom battles. I don't if this is a bug happening only to me, but several units (such as the Corinthian and Athenian Hoplites) that are available in the campaign aren't available for the custom battles. I know the list would be huge, but why not?

I think that is a problem with engine limits.
    Perhaps the "best units" should get priority over ones.
    Of course it would be nice to have all of them but if i had to choose between 5 archer/slinger/javelinmen and 5 cool other units it would be an easy choice.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    I'll leave my suggestion here: it would be good to have ALL units available for custom battles. I don't if this is a bug happening only to me, but several units (such as the Corinthian and Athenian Hoplites) that are available in the campaign aren't available for the custom battles. I know the list would be huge, but why not?
    Only 100 units will show up in custom battle menu...and of those, any units list after about 430-ish in EDU show up with a white unit card. In short, RS2 has gone beyond what RTW's UI can handle. So some compromises had to be made.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

First, it would allow forts to have stone walls.... but the gates will always be 'open'.
    Hm, I'd like to see some pictures of that first. I don't think I like the idea, only because of the stone walls. They're bloody huge.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

great work on the roman fort DVK.just the way i wanted them to look like. did you raise the price of them?
    i like the idea of stone wall forts but like high fist says,if they as big as the city stone wall,i think you shoud not use them.
    can you do something with the wooden walls that i posted here.maybe its possible to use rams against it to create gaps in it.
    did not test it though. good luck with the greek settlements
    Last edited by tungri_centurio; June 07, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

New Roman fort:

Actually found the barracks buildings for this fort (the long ones that are lined up in rows) existent in the game...though they were never used anywhere. Pictured you will see the Preatorium in the center, the Principium behind it, a cavalry barracks in the far left corner, and a couple granaries.

I'm thinking of using this layout as the default 'Roman Town'....adding a few buildings so as to follow the theme that Roman settlements were often built up around existing forts.
    Is there a way of replacing "wooden palisade with wooden walls" for the fort?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Those walls you posted can be attacked with battering rams and they can also be used by units.
    They would make more sense for forts than stone walls.

Patrician

The walls shown in the picture are the RTW wooden walls. And regarding the DTW walls....which I think were made originally by Redfox and Spartan....I have considered adding them, but that is 'a project in itself'. Walls are a very difficult issue in RTW...harder than adding or modifying buildings...especially if you change the way walls are implemented, or the levels 'at which' they are implemented. The walls you have shown from RTR are actually a replacement for 'stone walls' (because you can walk on the tops) and the AI needs siege equipment to attack them. I like the idea, but it makes implementing them a lot harder.

The other problem I have right now is that I am having to keep close track of the number of buildings I add or remove from RTW....as I mentioned before, there is a limit to them in RTW. Don't know the exact number...something like 1500 or so is my guess...but I hit the limit, and that made this project a bit more 'interesting', shall we say, because I need to remove RTW buildings that won't be used as I add building that will. Adding walls...which is considered a 'building' for every section of the wall...would complicate things right now. So it'll have to wait.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father