Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Campaigns Addon (for LotRTW v3.0+)

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Default Re: LotR-TW Campaigns Addon V2.6

I see, I have to search for the regions where new mercenaries are available. So, I have to spent more time in CapnDan's Middle-Earth...!

I like the Free Peoples as they are very much at the moment! And the little changes you made, of course! What I was thinking about if it was a good idea to take the same strat and battle map model for Michel Delving as for Hobbiton. And if it is possible to find a way to capture siege machines from other factions...hmm...and if the Aragorn unit could get a mount effect against Sauron +4 or +8 for Anduril...and many other things but I should think about them "deeplier"...

Well they're not there as mercenaries "as is not really possible, but most factions can recruit a limited number of non-factional units if they control the right regions and/or have the right buildings to train those unit types. Generally it's lower tier units though" It's set up this way as there are certain limits to mercenary recruitment (it cannot be changed by scripted conditions for example).

Anduril mount effect and possible siege weapons for Numenor I have made notes of and maay end up being things if I eventually find myself with a chunk of free time again at some point.

Settlements remain far beyond both my computer software and hardware limitations, so as I've said so many times before, there is sadly nothing I can do there. ..

CapnDan, thanks a lot! Enjoy your time without modding!!! It is never good to spent unholy amounts of time in front of the screen!! The best ideas come when your are not working on things...!!!

Numenor campaign with Gondor is one of my best campaigns ever!!! Treebeard still defending Isengard…!!!
    Last edited by Flinn; May 31, 2016 at 04:52 AM. Reason: do not use bold if not strictly necessary and do not use it for the whole text in any case

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    Numenor campaign with Gondor is one of my best campaigns ever!!! Treebeard still defending Isengard…!!!
    Last edited by Flinn; May 31, 2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: continuity

AAAAAAAARRRGGHH!!! My best campaign ever suddenly ended on turn 46 by the destruction of Mordor!
    How can I change this? I do not want Mordor to die by accident or Dunedain special mission...!

AAAAAAAARRRGGHH!!! My best campaign ever suddenly ended on turn 46 by the destruction of Mordor!
    How can I change this? I do not want Mordor to die by accident or Dunedain special mission...!
    Haha, well if you don't like that I've posted some steps below which should remove it.
    This destruction of Mordor thing was the result of my trying to balance out the campaign end game. I found it was both too long and kind of a repeat of the regular stock campaign without this different ending. I'd though about coding it as like a 40/60 success/not success thing to give the player a chance to fight until Gondor's very last but in the ended just decided to go with the reliability of a shorter campaign that fits with the modified description and victory conditions.

Okay steps that should be able to remove the Ranger Success script without breaking anything (I think, no guarantees though, haven't tested it myself)
    1. Go to ...lotrtw/data/scripts/show_me and open returnofnumenor_script.txt
    2. Make a backup just in case
    2. Search in returnofnumenor_script.txt for:" Numenor's Mordor attack around turn 45 "
    3. Delete the entire section (but only that particular section though)
    4. Close and save
    5. Delete the advice file in ...lotrtw/preferences/
    6. Start the game and if it loads with no errors open a new numenor campaign with Gondor and click End Turn one time (to check errors and regenerate script files)
    7. Exit from the game you'd started and re-load a save game from your campaign and you should be good to go.

Ah, god save the Queen and CapnDan, now I can continue my awesome campaign!

Maybe, you can change the ranger success into an optional choice where a screen is popping up asking the player if he wants the ranger mission to be completed or not...I was hoping when I reached turn 45 there would be Dunedain reinforcements coming without upkeep costs...8 units of Rangers of the North or something like that...!

Another suggestion would be to give Gondor (or Rohan either) a new building like the Numenorean call of the Noldor for Dunedain reinforcements...

And what about Elrond leading the Noldor reinforcement for Numenor and Elessar leading the Dunedain reinforcements for Gondor...that would be really, really cool if the true king returned to Gondor in this desperate situation at turn 45!!!

EDIT: Treebeard fell in Isengard but Eomer is still defending Helm's Deep!
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; June 01, 2016 at 09:07 AM.

Actually, yea all pretty good ideas. And may indeed be worth incorporating in future.

The main reason I went the way I did was because I've conquered Morder a hundred times over in the classic LotR-TW mod and then a hundred more in building up and testing the Campaigns Addon, and, as much as it's never EXACTLY the same, it does tend to be a pretty similar slog ever time. I wanted to try and avoid that in the new campaigns as much as possible, and especially for Gondor and Rohan. So that's why the Dunedain mission just ends the threat all on its own (unless Sauron finds the ring, then you've gotta deal with him all by yourself and will quite possibly be hooped). This is done so that you can mop up and move on with what's mainly intended to be a relatively quick campaign.

Basically my thinking for the Gondor and Rohan campaigns is that, if you've managed to survive to turn 45 with the minimum required number of provinces, you've probably gotten everything sorted out enough that an eventual victory is basically guaranteed given enough time.

I suppose maybe a happy medium could be a scripted ragtag army of dunedain and others (under player control) basically appearing right out of the mist up at Sauron's doorstep? Or maybe another more elegant player controlled solution? But really really, I don't want to have to go through the entire process of step-by-step conquering morder, yet again. The Numenor faction already gets to do that in this Campaign.

Wow, you conquered Mordor many hundred times!!! Unbelievable, but now I understand your turn 45 Dunedain solution much better! I think I conquered Mordor never! Okay, I killed Sauron a couple of times by the destruction of the one ring or accidentally with a plague infected spy but whenever I made it close to Baradur the next addon was released...!
    Maybe this time I manage to kill Sauron with brute weapon force...! But my VH/VH-Numenor-campaign with Gondor is still on the egde and the plague is devastating Minas Tirith and Pelargir and Gondor's allies are almost defeated! Only Dain Ironfoot with his 9 experience points oldguards celebrates one heroic victory after the other as a single unit leaving multiple battle marks on the strat map north of Mirkwood and Eomer is still defending Helm's Deep...unfortunately, Rivendell and Fornost were captured by Dunlending hordes...

Please help me, when I try launch the mod (after install this submod) the game crash in to startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
    Please help me, when I try launch the mod (after install this submod) the game crash in to startup.
    Well first off did you follow all the directions (clean RTW install - LotR-TW patched up to V3.02 - Then install submod, and only this submod because the various submods don't play nicely together)?

Launching the game via shortcut with " -show_err " enabled in the target line?

Indefinitely Banned

This is a really great mod. Thanks for the add on!

Its possible add Balrog for Trash and eagles for Noldor?

Wow, you conquered Mordor many hundred times!!! Unbelievable, but now I understand your turn 45 Dunedain solution much better! I think I conquered Mordor never! Okay, I killed Sauron a couple of times by the destruction of the one ring or accidentally with a plague infected spy but whenever I made it close to Baradur the next addon was released...!
    Maybe this time I manage to kill Sauron with brute weapon force...! But my VH/VH-Numenor-campaign with Gondor is still on the egde and the plague is devastating Minas Tirith and Pelargir and Gondor's allies are almost defeated! Only Dain Ironfoot with his 9 experience points oldguards celebrates one heroic victory after the other as a single unit leaving multiple battle marks on the strat map north of Mirkwood and Eomer is still defending Helm's Deep...unfortunately, Rivendell and Fornost were captured by Dunlending hordes...
    Yup, if you play Gondor or Rohan in the Numenor campaign the thing really is designed to basically be up by turn 45 (or thereabouts). Either you've held out long enough with the required number of provinces and Sauron's been defeated by the mysterious machinations of the rangers, or something's gone horribly wrong and defeat is basically inevitable (theoretically even for the skilled human player which could make for a fun and fairly unique situation all in of itself I think). BTW, I was actually beaten soundly by the AI (maybe partly because I wasn't totally paying attention) in a Gondor campaign while testing this version. It really was something of a RTW highlight for me.

As for brute force conquests of Mordor, maaaaybe it's not exactly hundreds.. but there's definitely been quite a few. I seem to remember Bardo saying at one point way back when that he'd played the main campaign so many times that he could consistently beat Mordor on VH/VH in a handful of turns. But either way, if you've not had the pleasure of assaulting Barad-Dur in force yet, with Sauron charging out through the gates and a huge orc reinforcement army charging down at your flanks, I totally recommend it (if you can actually manage to get to assaulting before Sauron almost inevitably tries to sally). It really does tend to be a truly epic battle and the settlement design I'd say is truly one of Seth's best, it actually gets more epic the more you look at it.
    Last edited by CapnDan; June 07, 2016 at 10:20 AM.

Yes, it is always great fun when the AI manages to beat you! It could happen more often if the AI attacked cities directly with trolls, catapults or mumakils, especially Mordor. It is kind of a nuisance when you repell almost any siege army with a few archer units by one or two sallies. This would be a great improvement if the AI attacked directly or at least in the following round! I have to march for Barad-Dur now...although I think I killed Sauron in battle once a couple of years ago...hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoise Groudon View Post
    This is a really great mod. Thanks for the add on!
    Thanks you Blastoise, you know comments like these are always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
    Its possible add Balrog for Trash and eagles for Noldor?
    Theoretically it is possible, there may even have been an actual Battle map Balrog in the game some versions ago. However, it is very difficult to:
    a) make them, get them working, and get them looking good and
    b) figure out how to code them in gameplay wise so that they make sense

Also I have very limited skills and softwares for texturing and 3d modeling AND I'm getting to the point of feeling the game/mod is pretty well complete as is.
    How's that for a complete answer!

CapnDan, is it possible to transfer the TATW-Balrog model into LotR-TW? We could ask King Kong...and maybe for spider models...

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

CapnDan, is it possible to transfer the TATW-Balrog model into LotR-TW? We could ask King Kong...and maybe for spider models...
    I really doubt you'll be able to contact KK, as he has been away since ages now Anyhow, I'm not sure who made the model of the Balrog actually, so maybe it's worth asking in the TATW fora.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hello again, I hope you feel well!

The balrog model...hmm...Arda total war has one...maybe we will have one in the future, too...