Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Campaigns Addon (for LotRTW v3.0+)

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Default Re: CapnDan Campaign Edits V2.0

Thanks, CapDan, for explaining these problems and balances! I had a strong assumption that things are more complicated than the player wishes...

Hmm...Rohan didn't generate new generals although I gave them about 7 regions back via diplomacy...but maybe there was not enough time for them to get new ones...

Yes, it is difficult to reach all triggers of the free peoples' campaign in time when Ai behaves more aggressively...but it's also fun to play free peoples with Gandalf as diplomat. I destroyed the ring in one of my older free peoples' campaigns by going backyards into Mordor with all my family members to Mount Doom...but I am looking forward to experience your "Free for all campaign"! Is this the Numenor campaign you were talking about?!?
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; March 27, 2015 at 05:06 AM.

The Free for All campaign is basically what it sounds like. It's a free for all, most scripts and limits for most factions removed. Here's the WIP outline from the readme:

Added a "FreeForAll" Provincial Campaign:
    -disabled the scripted alliances and diplomacy which totally changes the typical campaign
    -most of the supporting game scripts have remained in place though (auto garrisons, population controls, ai boosts, etc.)
    -otherwise stripped down the campaign scripting to basics with a few small mods for better balance weaker factions in a free for all mode
    -Each faction should have their respective heroes
    -Made most mannish militia units recruitable for Free Peoples depending on region and buildings present as well as a wide selection of merc troops
    -added spies for Free Peoples faction
    -Slight changes to victory conditions (all factions)

Added an "Age of Men" Provincial Campaign:
    -Basically set shortly following the War or the Ring.
    -Noldor Return script left in but extremely difficult to achieve now that population growth is pretty well guaranteed to be negative for elven factions
    -Sauron gone but Mordor still full of orcs, Isengard basically defeated now just a minor nuisance, Gondor and Rohan lands intact but armies pretty well exhausted, Dunlendings significantly expanded compared to before, elves basically all leaving and dwarves relatively unchanged.

I'd actually started on the Free for All campaign mostly just as a test to see if I could manage to strip the LotR-TW scripting down to basics before trying to radically change it up into something new (in order to prevent introducing new and exotic bugs . It ended up having a pretty cool flow to it and being especially random compared to the regular campaign (sometimes Mordor dominates, sometimes it doesn't) so I left it in.

The version I'm just polishing up right now won't have the numenor campaign yet, it'll probably take me several months at least to put it together as I just mod recreationally when I've the time and inclination. I have slightly reduced the rates at which Isengard is able to recruit Turncoats in the next version if that's any consolation though.

Thanks again for preview! Sounds very interesting! I hope you will succeed in your anti bug strategy...!

And the Numenor campaign you are working on...will it be like the Third Age TW campaign that you must reforge the realm of Arnor in order to get new professional Dunedain units...? Or what are you thinking of...?

By the way...did you see the good looking orc units of the Silmarillion modders? Maybe they give them for free use...I think it would not do harm to the Mordor orcs if they got a band of new brothers...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-the-First-Age

Foederatus

CapnDan can you do me a favor? Can you replace all Gondorian Units in Numenoreans? I want them to be recruitable in all settlements without requirements and also don't change their stats i like them for what they are.Don't Replace the Dunedain Rangers,Ithilien Rangers, Dol Amroth Units and Fountain Guards just for me

V2.2 Ready to go link below and I've attached an updated Readme.

--- link outdated see OP for an updated download link ---

If someone could give it a go and let me know if it works on a "not my own computer" it'd be much appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CapnDan; September 29, 2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: File link

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    Thanks again for preview! Sounds very interesting! I hope you will succeed in your anti bug strategy...!

And the Numenor campaign you are working on...will it be like the Third Age TW campaign that you must reforge the realm of Arnor in order to get new professional Dunedain units...? Or what are you thinking of...?

By the way...did you see the good looking orc units of the Silmarillion modders? Maybe they give them for free use...I think it would not do harm to the Mordor orcs if they got a band of new brothers...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-the-First-Age
    Pretty sure they lost contact with the maker of those orc units.
    As for Numenor, the rough outline can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0#post13981910
    And, you can kind of get a preview of what I'm thinking for unit roster (which I think is largely complete) by playing a custom battle with Numenor in V2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerazim View Post
    CapnDan can you do me a favor? Can you replace all Gondorian Units in Numenoreans? I want them to be recruitable in all settlements without requirements and also don't change their stats i like them for what they are.Don't Replace the Dunedain Rangers,Ithilien Rangers, Dol Amroth Units and Fountain Guards just for me
    Honestly, I'm pretty guilty about the time I spend modding as is. But, if you check out the guides over at the link below you'll find everything you need to make those changes yourself.
    http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...on/index.shtml

Capn Dan, thanks so much for 2.2 release! It looks great!!! I won't have time to play a campaign during the next week but I just fought a custom battle with Numenoran units and I read your Numenoran campaign plans and I must say a dream is going to come true! Units are fantastic!! Except for the Numenoran axemen...in my opinion their axes seem to spoil the beautiful overall impression of this faction...

...hmm...what do you think of integrating the two-handed swordmen of Numenor into the free peoples campaign...they could be recruited like the rangers of the north with the 5% chance in Nenuial and Fornost representing some of the old Dunedain families of the lost realm of Arnor...! Or another suggestion would be to make all Numenoran units recruitable for the free peoples in Nenuial and Fornost but with very long recruiting times and upkeep costs...so the player could decide to reforge Arnor or not...but these are spontaneous ideas and I will think about it again...

Yea, I also feel the Numenorian axemen's axes are a little off, but the unit's there and it'd be a shame to not use it.

After considering extensive scripting (and deciding it'd almost certainly take forever and probably never work exactly right) I think I did decide on just having super-long recruitment times for all the powerful units (elves and dwarves included) of the Numenor faction. I'll probably re-use the black clad two handed swordsmen as the model for captains and then Isuldur's model for named characters/generals. The kings guard (red clad two handed swords) I'll probably make a unique unit and Aragorn's bodyguard.

So, it'd be main regions like Nenuial and Fornost able to recruit (but costly and very long time) reformed Numenorian units, if the faction liberates former elven or dwarven territories (presumably from the evil factions one hopes) that's where those types of units will come from, and otherwise nothing but peasants and militias pretty much everywhere else.

I'm also thinking I'll go over everything and drastically reduce population growth for all the "good" factions making those militia units something of a precious resource even if they're not particularly strong in battle (because depopulating your cities would be a very real possibility).

Perhaps some of the sylvan units should be added to the roster of stuff that other elven units can recruit if they have the appropriate regions?(mirkwood rangers, sylvan swords?)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    Yea, I also feel the Numenorian axemen's axes are a little off, but the unit's there and it'd be a shame to not use it.

After considering extensive scripting (and deciding it'd almost certainly take forever and probably never work exactly right) I think I did decide on just having super-long recruitment times for all the powerful units (elves and dwarves included) of the Numenor faction. I'll probably re-use the black clad two handed swordsmen as the model for captains and then Isuldur's model for named characters/generals. The kings guard (red clad two handed swords) I'll probably make a unique unit and Aragorn's bodyguard.

So, it'd be main regions like Nenuial and Fornost able to recruit (but costly and very long time) reformed Numenorian units, if the faction liberates former elven or dwarven territories (presumably from the evil factions one hopes) that's where those types of units will come from, and otherwise nothing but peasants and militias pretty much everywhere else.

I'm also thinking I'll go over everything and drastically reduce population growth for all the "good" factions making those militia units something of a precious resource even if they're not particularly strong in battle (because depopulating your cities would be a very real possibility).
    Good plans especially the Isildur model for generals...except for the axemen...I am not going to recruit them...but all the others!

Some more ideas:

- Numenor stonework, (ancient looking) stonewalls to build for Numenor
    - rename Nenuial into Annúminas in the Numenor campaign
    - and maybe call the Numenor campaign (the resurrection of) the Kingdom of Arthedain...as Cardolan and especially Rhudaur have vanished for such a long time it would be more "realistically" only to resurrect the last successor state of Arnor...but this could be another scenario added to the provincial campaigns section...
    - Rohan lancers as bodyguards for Gandalf in the Rohan campaign and Numenor riders as bodyguards for Gandalf in the other campaigns...or Gandalf the white as the elephant fireball unit like Saruman...
    - hmm...I don't know if the reduction of the population growth will be a good thing...I think it is enough that a city starts at 400 population after being conquered...but maybe it is a good idea...hmm...

EDIT:
    - maybe a resurrection of Arthedain and Angmar (witchking) campaign thing...but I have to think about this more thoroughly...
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; March 30, 2015 at 05:29 AM.

Some ideas came to me while playing my awesome free peoples CapnDan 2.2/3.02 campaign...!

- Rangers of the North recruitable as normal and general unit for free peoples but 20 rounds to do so (I like the 5% chance but never liked that units couldn't be retrained...I changed it by myself by swichting the "general_unit"-trait on and of in the export_descr_unit.txt)

- I was thinking of characters like Legolas and Gimli to get the ability of recruiting elven and dwarven units in special areas...but I guess this is not possible

- some changes to make the Ai recruit more troll units

Foederatus

CapnDan where is the Numenor campaign? And where are you? You have been offline for months.

Oops.. double post
    Last edited by CapnDan; September 07, 2015 at 01:31 PM.

Some ideas came to me while playing my awesome free peoples CapnDan 2.2/3.02 campaign...!

- Rangers of the North recruitable as normal and general unit for free peoples but 20 rounds to do so (I like the 5% chance but never liked that units couldn't be retrained...I changed it by myself by swichting the "general_unit"-trait on and of in the export_descr_unit.txt)

- I was thinking of characters like Legolas and Gimli to get the ability of recruiting elven and dwarven units in special areas...but I guess this is not possible

- some changes to make the Ai recruit more troll units
    The first (rangers of the north) was something I'd thought about and would probably include in a Numenor campaign if.... oh wait, scratch that, I just checked and they are in fact recruitable in the most recent version of the CapnDan Campaign Addon.

Legolas and Gimili doing recruitment in certain special areas is an interesting idea. It could be done via scripts (similar to how special units are recruited currently) and might actually be a good idea again for the Numenor campaign specifically. I feel like it might throw off the desperate feel balance of the Free People's campaign though. Originally I was thinking of just having both Legos and Gimi killed off or returned to their respective factions and eleven/dwarven recruitment for Numenor done normally, except only in certain regions and for very high cost. But having those two characters produce reinforcements via script when in the correct settlement might be an interesting option instead, or maybe the better dwarf/elf units are only produced by script and the lesser ones normally? Something to thing about, nice idea.

@Nezarim
    As for actually working on the new campaign, I've been working out at a wilderness camp all summer, so no time in front of the ol' computer. I might take a crack at it later this fall/winter if I end up having time but it does depend on how work goes, food in the belly and money in the bank being the priorities an all that jazz.

Yes, in the current version you can recruit ranger of the north general units and you can get them by 5% chance in Fornost and Nenuial! I switched off the general_unit_trait to recruit them as normal units...

And yes...I mean nooo...don't kill Gimli and Legolas off!!! It would be wonderful if free peoples were able to recruit elven and dwarven units in special places!!! Or by 5% chance...I love the special units thing...especially the Beornings! I my recent campaign Dale and the eastern Dwarves were overrun by the Easterlings and now Beornings make successful expeditions throughout Mirkwood to free Erebor and Esgaroth...!! Easterlings have also conquered Dol Guldur but Gondor has taken Minas Morgul! After having destroyed Isengard Aragorn and Gandalf are now heading to Dunharrow...and then going to Mordor accompanied by Ents and the Army of the Dead......
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; September 07, 2015 at 05:16 AM.

Default Re: CapnDan Campaign Addon V2.2

OP updated with new download link for V2.2.

Default Re: CapnDan Campaign Addon V2.2 -Updated!

Congratulations, CapnDan!!!

Is 2.2 update save game compatibel???

Some ideas that come into my mind while playing my awesome 2.2 Galadhrim campaign...

It would create a nice atmossphere if there were messages when leaders of other factions or important character die, i.e. "OMFG Aragorn, son of Arathorn, was killed in battle!!!"

And I was thinking on the starting position of the one ring in your Numenor campaign...you said ring will be lost...but it could be stolen by Gollum and then running on the strat map...or Faramir stole it or handed it to Denethor...or was seduced by the ring running as a rebel captain on the strat map etc...but most important for me would be not to kill any characters off in your Numenor campaign...Frodo and Sam could be injured by Gollum and made it back into the shire...

And concerning Lothlorien sentries...the description says something like that they are clad into grey clothes and green capes but in my opinion they look blue...but they would look even more gorgeous if they were grey and green....so my question...is it difficult to change colours of Lothlorien sentries and light Galadhrim archers...?

Congratulations, CapnDan!!!

Is 2.2 update save game compatibel???
    Glad to see a comment that someone still comes here!!
    And nope, probably not save game compatible unfortunately.
    Some ideas that come into my mind while playing my awesome 2.2 Galadhrim campaign...

It would create a nice atmossphere if there were messages when leaders of other factions or important character die, i.e. "OMFG Aragorn, son of Arathorn, was killed in battle!!!"
    Agreed, I think that would be cool, but would it be worth all the scripting and text writing and error checking.... maybe.?
    And I was thinking on the starting position of the one ring in your Numenor campaign...you said ring will be lost...but it could be stolen by Gollum and then running on the strat map...or Faramir stole it or handed it to Denethor...or was seduced by the ring running as a rebel captain on the strat map etc...but most important for me would be not to kill any characters off in your Numenor campaign...Frodo and Sam could be injured by Gollum and made it back into the shire...
    Actually Gollum running around with the ring was what I had in mind, just wanted to maybe keep it a surprise for the player when they randomly just see Gollum running around the map.
    And concerning Lothlorien sentries...the description says something like that they are clad into grey clothes and green capes but in my opinion they look blue...but they would look even more gorgeous if they were grey and green....so my question...is it difficult to change colours of Lothlorien sentries and light Galadhrim archers...?
    Yep, well difficult for me. I have neither the software/hardware nor the technical expertise to do anything relating to modeling or texture editing unfortunately.

CapnDan, I appreciate your efforts and improvements so much! Don't worry about few comments...LotRTW-Players have no time for postings...they have to battle for Middle-Earth!!!