Thread: Something New

Team Sleep's Avatar Semisalis

Default Something New

I've recently come upon here in search of something new to play. I've never purchased S2TW, and I've seen that it's had it's share of growing pains. The mods I've mostly played have been EB (still playing) for RTW & Stainless Steel for M2TW. I'm interested in historical mods and have always been interested in this particular time period. Now I see that Europa Barbarorum 2 is said to be released w/in the next few months. That means soon M2TW will be reinstalled and I will be playing the released alpha. However in that time period of transition between both of the games, I'm looking to play something new. And I was actually debating about installing the RNJ mod for RTW or...purchasing S2TW, and installing the Rising Sun Mod. Both are historically driven mods...one on a much more updated engine. However I know that S2TW has a stigma because of it's poor execution and horrible nearly game breaking state in which it was released (much like R2TW).

I expect somewhat that the answer to the question I am about to ask will be biased or jaded to one side. But I am still wondering. Should I install RNJ or should I purchase S2TW install the fixes and install the RSM? Which is a better experience?

Also what are your opinions in comparison and contrast between the 2 mods?

Default Re: Something New

S2 has aged rather well, and it is still very much enjoyable. RNJ is based on an old, limited engine and although I found it fun for a small play-through, its balancing kind of annoyed me. RSM is mostly focused on realism and immersion, and I absolutely love the changes it makes to the FotS campaign. If you decide to get S2, I highly suggest you also pick up FotS if you haven't already. It's what Empire and Napoleon should've been, and RSM just makes gun battles so much more bloodier and enjoyable. (plus skirmishers are actually useful :p)

Cool. I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking about going for the whole shabang if I do this mod. Get the game. Buy the expansions....probably skip the DLC? I don't know? But if I later decided to purchase the DLC. Even that isn't a problem after installing the mod? Or is it going to require a new re install. What about the other two campaigns? Also great? Yeah I was looking for a game that will create immersion. Does the mod bring in any new features that weren't present with the vanilla version? How many factions are playable?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Team Sleep; October 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

-Only DLC I really suggest is the blood pack, unless any of the clans really appeal to you. I got the Otomo and Ikko Ikki for S2, and both are offer a different gameplay path; Ikko Ikki makes things a bit more interesting for me. I don't have an opinion on Rise of the Samurai because I haven't played it.
    -Nope, you don't need to reinstall the mod after getting DLC, it's compatible with any and all.
    -The mod is mainly stat and model based, I don't believe it brought anything really new feature wise to the table.
    -RSM doesn't add any new factions.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

Does anyone have any suggestions for mods to run with this one?Just wondering what people's opinions are.

Are stats & balancing adjusted for the DLC clan packs? Or are the units in those packs un moded or fixed in this Mod?

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mods to run with this one?Just wondering what people's opinions are.
    get the heroes and generals mod. furinkazan is pretty nice as well.

Is this mod still being worked on? Would be great ;-)

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't think it needs to be worked on much than it is. It's a perfectly finished mod. Had great fun with it.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

I was wondering about getting this mod. And have some questions. Does generals exp is shared or just one general gets the exp and others get nothing, or do I need different mod for that?
    Do I absolutely need Otomo fraction DLC to play standard campaign. I don't have it as I find them unbalanced/not very historical in the beginning(nothing new in total war games)/don't want to play them, with so early access to guns and early christianity.
    And do the battles take longer than in vanilla, or first similarly or faster then they take longer?