Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New "OSCAR" Sub-mod Compilation Project

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Introducing the New "OSCAR" Sub-mod Compilation Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not aware of the modern "urban dictionary" use of the word! My mother was from England, so I've got a few old-english terms peppered into my vocabulary from being around that side of my family. Messers as used above is simply a plural use of the "Mr." prefix.
    Yes, the key word here seems to be plural. Since I didn't know what Messers meant, I searched for "Messer" assuming this to be the singular.

Mank thanks for the information : Thumbsup2

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Bump! don't let this be forgotten in the second page blob!

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

I was wondering, I know everyone likes the idea of more factions and more variation etc etc...

But why make the dwarves separate factions? They already are so small... Why split it in half? In my games the dwarves get all the mountains, but even then they stay small in comparison to arnor, gondor, dale and even the high elves (on the dac map). If they are separated it will feel even worse...

I have the same feeling over lorien and the silvan elves. But there atleast is a real different feel to both factions, less so with the dwarves...

Will it really be better to have them separated? Sometimes less is more... I mean they did influence each other quite a lot, with the dwarves from erebor moving to the blue mountains and then back again to erebor afterwards... (I'm sorry if I'm wrong with this only reference I have is the first hobbit movie) It just doesn't feel right...

Do the dwarves have multiple kings etc? I'm no expert but I tought Dain was the only king in TA? (pls do correct me when i'm wrong, I like to learn. I learned more from lurking in these forums than reading and watching.)

Although it may feel like the Dwarves shouldn't be split from a lore point of view (Ngugi will be here soon to cover us all in his warm lore goo and back that point up). They work much better from a gameplay point of view when split up, it cuts down the horrendous corruption they receive and it makes their path finding much easier. When they are 1 kingdom miles apart, they try and get troops to where they are needed most and the result is just convoys of Dwarves marching to and fro and not really doing anything. Rarely did I see Dwarves do well in Vanilla when they were one faction.

Can't speak for that I use mos and they seem to do great there...

Also when I play dwarves (and I have seen the AI do this) I place my capital at Gundabad. Really covers a lot of the corruption issue.

Question Mank will your improved Barrow-downs mod be part of this?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

@ manekemaan: The main two reasons for the spit Dwarven factions are increased AI performance and an excuse to enjoy another really well developed Dwarven roster. Arachir Galudirithon's comment basically explains why the AI doesn't handle the split too well, but it is even more complicated than just corruption as the global AI for each faction is constantly making choices based on its strength and position compared its neighbors. With the factions split we're hoping to provide a chance for the Dwarves to really have a chance at performing competitively during the grand campaign.

@ jedi7000nathan: Yes! It will also include T&D's new and even more awesome Barrow-Wight models!

Ungoliath's Avatar Laetus

when can we expect this awsome submod to be released?

Well realistically it's probably going to be a month or two from now. Withwnar and I are waiting for another week or so before getting started on porting over to FireFreak's new map so he can iron out any bugs, and after that it will be full steam ahead on coding. Although we've made a great start so far, OSCAR has over 40 mods available to incorperate so it will take a little time to get all that actually in and balanced! Thanks for asking though, also reminds me that I need to change the main post a bit...

In the meantime, Divide and Conquer will finally be relased, so if you're looking for a fresh take on TATW you'll have something fun to try in the meantime!
    Last edited by Mank; December 07, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Well realistically it's probably going to be a month or two from now.
    I think that is still a remarkably short time in which the team would be getting this extensive mod job working, "Messer mighty mouse".
    Hope you will be able to pull it off.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

I know this is a question that I am probably sure the answer is no to but will a DAC version of the mod be made because I am mixed, one has a a lot of new factions and events however this mod has new factions, new features and a lot of the scripts I like I am mixed as to which would be better and I hope a DAC enhancement style one will be made

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I can with confidence say No to that, least what official versions concern, since it would require a massive undertaking that in turn would require to give up content from each mod to make it possible.
    And while someone may create a hybrid at some point, the simplest solution will prove to have both installed at the same tim, available to enjoy on its own merits once it come to that

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

No. It will be built on - and therefore compatible with - vanilla TATW only.

If somebody wants to take OSCAR, make it compatible with DaC or any other submod and release it then they are automatically free to do so, so long as they stick to the permission rules of OSCAR and any that apply to the other submod.

EDIT: ninjad by a ferret!

Thanks for clearing that up hope to see this when it is done

Hey Mank!
    Now that FF has released the 2.0 update of his map will you start working on porting the submods on the new map??

Hi there Jacob,

We've just been discussing this very issue in the developer's forum, so I'm happy to say I'll be able to update you on our current status. Over the next few weeks I'll be slowly porting over the current OSCAR patch to the new 2.0 map. After that we'll see where we stand, as Leo's patch is soon to be released and after that hopefully FireFreak will include much of that in his 2.1 patch.

The last ballpark date for OSCAR's release is now totally canned I'm afraid. This setback is mostly due to the fact that I've been offered a substantial job promotion at work (a blessing and a curse, as I now have very little time to mod). Withwnar and I both feel like once FireFreak's 2.1 patch is out we'll put our foot down and say "this is the version of the map we'll use" and start script porting after that. This last leg of waiting will also help Withwnar/ Ngugi finish up their work on DCI- Last Alliance and Araval finish his next update to FRoGS.

I know that this isn't the most exciting of news, but take heart, as this project is still very dear to all our hearts and WILL be released as soon as we can.

The last ballpark date for OSCAR's release is now totally canned I'm afraid.
    Bad news for us.
    This setback is mostly due to the fact that I've been offered a substantial job promotion at work (a blessing and a curse, as I now have very little time to mod).
    But good news for you. Well deserved, I'm sure.
    We will just have to wait a (little) bit longer for Oscar. On the bright side, more time to play MOS 1.62 which should be available very soon now.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Deathcake's Avatar Tiro

Can someone care to explain how the Secret forest paths work please?
    From my understanding, there was a version of the secret forest paths in MOS, but I could never understand what it did.
    From the description (from reading the building's descr), it sounds like it makes roads, but the roads are only 'working' for elvish factions (and maybe their allies?) while being 'invisible' to enemy stacks, meaning the enemy would not get the movement bonus that it provides to the elves. But the enemy seemed to be use the roads just fine and have full movement bonus.
    Was it just not working as intended, or have I got the idea behind the Secret Paths submod wrong?
    This looks intriguing, so might have to make a 3rd TATW install, to cover MOS, DAC and this
    I really love how much work still goes into making an already great mod for a very old game, even better. Mad props to you all, and have an enjoyable holiday period.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcake View Post
    Can someone care to explain how the Secret forest paths work please?
    From my understanding, there was a version of the secret forest paths in MOS, but I could never understand what it did.
    From the description (from reading the building's descr), it sounds like it makes roads, but the roads are only 'working' for elvish factions (and maybe their allies?) while being 'invisible' to enemy stacks, meaning the enemy would not get the movement bonus that it provides to the elves. But the enemy seemed to be use the roads just fine and have full movement bonus.
    Was it just not working as intended, or have I got the idea behind the Secret Paths submod wrong?
    Check this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...25-Nov-CTD-fix

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast