Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Default Re: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Modernized line infantry with superior Snider-Enfield rifles fighting in a loose skirmisher formation are supposed to be less numerous than standard Minie rifle line infantry.
    Ah, makes sense, I wasn't aware.

Everything else like charges, arrows, morale etc. working as intended?
    I need to test more, but up to now everything feels quite good, yes.
    Like others mentioned, the low rate of fire of archers looks a bit stupid, but I think the rate of kills is fine.

Artifex

My new pojectile tests were successful. Arrows now behave differently depending on the archer:

- Missileers: they fire their arrows high into the sky - even over allies - but are unable to shoot while standing behind castle walls. Garrison the castle walls with matchlocks (or dismounted bow cavalry) and put your missileers into the second row from where they will shoot at hostiles. All infantry archers are missileers and they have a slightly higher range than skirmishers.

- Skirmisher: they behave like normal Shougun II archers which means they shoot straight at the enemy, but are usually unable to fire over allies. Bow cavalry and archer towers are "skirmishers" and they have a lower range than missileers, but slightly increased accuracy.

What do you think about this approach? A constant rain of arrows sent from your second row towards the enemy makes archers much more useful.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; October 20, 2015 at 01:39 PM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

I recently install Shogun 2 with all DLC and found your amazing work, but i have 2 problems.

1. When i try to put all graphic options to max, the game freezes while charging the loading bar to do so.
    2. When i try to start a new Sengoku Campaign the models of the Daimyos seem...incomplete. Here some images:
    http://imgur.com/a/R7wsC

¿Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by xMaix View Post

1. When i try to put all graphic options to max, the game freezes while charging the loading bar to do so.
    I find the problem here, it's the Soft Shadows option, i can go all to the max but if i enable this options it will freeze while loading the changes.

PD: I'm on Win10 x64.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by xMaix View Post
    2. When i try to start a new Sengoku Campaign the models of the Daimyos seem...incomplete.
    That's the drawback of using Bullgod's Daimyou models. They do work ingame though.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Can't download from this spideroak.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; November 22, 2015 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Removed links

Artifex

Thanks to Nobunaga's Ambition 14, I have collected some ideas for reforms.

Examples for the Sengoku jidai:
    Cupellation -> improves mining
    Flood Controll and Land Reclamation -> improves agriculture
    Cotton industry and abolishment of guilds -> improves commerce
    Suggestion Box -> increases growth

Zen priests brought Confucianism, Chinese poetry and ink paintings to Japan
    Rengashi distributed humourous and vulgar poetry throughout the land
    Several books were written like Otogi-zoshi (moralistic stories), Kanginshu (popular songs) and Setsuuyoshuu (dictionary).

I'm also thinking about new buildings like a new farming system:
    New levels: 20% -> 40% -> 60% -> 80% -> 100%
    These 5 levels represent the cultivation of the land that is suited for agriculture in a province. These are multiplied by fertility and reforms. I'm planning a similar system for crafts and entertainment.

If it is possible, I'll also implement the 4 Japanese social classes: merchants < artisans < peasants < samurai
    They will replace the lower and upper class.

What do you think about this idea? Due to my job, I don't have as much time for modding as before, but small steps of progress should still be possible.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

I think those ideas would be a good addition to the civil aspect of the campaign.
    Former Unteroffizier of the 1st East Prussian Infantry (M&B Napoleonic Wars). Currently the 1stEPI is active and recruiting on ARMA 3, as an Iron Front based WW2 German focused unit. Visit our website for more information on our great history, the modpack in use, and our current operations in progress at http://www.1stepi.com/.

If you'd like to know more about me then don't be shy it's the internet.

Wow what happened? it looks like months of comments go deleted.

Anyway I relized this mod is totally missing one of the main casualty dealers on the japanese battlefield... Rocks. Rocks caused almost as much casualties as swords during the 16th century. I know someone made a mod for rock throwing ashigaru. (slings would have also been used, and large rocks were dropped from caslte walls

here is the rough breakdown of casuality dealers based on surviving records

1500-1560:

• 60% arrows
    • 20% spears
    • 16% rocks
    • 3% swords

1563-1600:

• 45% firearms
    • 20% arrows
    • 15% spears
    • 7% swords
    • 5% rocks

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius View Post
    Wow what happened? it looks like months of comments go deleted.
    Must have been a very serious problem.

Anyway I relized this mod is totally missing one of the main casualty dealers on the japanese battlefield... Rocks.
    This is the first time I'm hearing about Japanese rock throwers.

I know someone made a mod for rock throwing ashigaru. (slings would have also been used, and large rocks were dropped from caslte walls
    The ninjas are using slings, so it might be possible to create troops throwing rocks with slings. Theoretically, a new rock projectile with suppression fire effect and ninja animations should do the trick.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

The mod in question, and forgive me because I forget which one it was, simply added a throw rocks function to normal melee ashigaru. As far as I know they did not have dedicated units of slingers like greeks did.

Its not a facet of japanese warfare that gets much attention outside of academic texts but from the stats you can see they were at least as important as swords in the late sengoku.

Just trying this mod out right now. Rifles seem to reload too fast like machine guns (hyperbole). What information did you find about the reload speed of Japanese rifles in 1570 Sengoku Jidai? Is this supposed to be realistic?

Also, what difficulty should I be playing on? Sieges are incredibly hard even when attacking with twice the army size. Got any tips?

Artifex

Reloading rate of matchlock arquebuses in projectiles_table: 60 seconds
    Ingame reloading rate of a unit with reload stat of 50: 30 seconds
    It's said that a trained arquebusier can fire up to 3 shots per minute. However, under battlefield conditions, 2 is more believable.
    Apparently, Japanese might have even used hayagos (quick loading tube filled with the right amount of powder and a bullet):
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...27602ca843.jpg
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Reloading rate of matchlock arquebuses in projectiles_table: 60 seconds
    Ingame reloading rate of a unit with reload stat of 50: 30 seconds
    It's said that a trained arquebusier can fire up to 3 shots per minute. However, under battlefield conditions, 2 is more believable.
    Apparently, Japanese might have even used hayagos (quick loading tube filled with the right amount of powder and a bullet):
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...27602ca843.jpg
    They seem to be reloading MUCH faster in my games for some reason. During a siege, an individual rifleman reloads in roughly 10 seconds.

Artifex

10 seconds is way too fast for arquebuses. Which unit was firing so fast? Some FotS units with breechloaders, perhaps?

Update: I've finally finished Delbrück's excellent book "The History of the Art of War" which will lead to improvements regarding all "Napoleonic" Boshin units.
    - Early line infantry will consist of two 100 men rows. The missing third row will serve as light infantry (they're not Jägers though).
    - Do you think it would be a good idea to add dragoons to the game? Dragoons are infantry units that use horses to quickly move around the battlefield while fighting on foot. They can occupy important positions and hold off the enemy until reinforcements arrive.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; February 02, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Is there any records of the Japanese using Dragoons? My philosophy on speciality units is that they should be available if there was a historical counterpart, and the costs and stats match how they would actually perform.

I'm looking forward to the next update,

I'm glad to see this mod is still alive. This is still my favorite mod and I hope to see it updated soon!

Is this mod multiplayer capable?

Nevermind I see that it is in your original post

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius View Post
    Is there any records of the Japanese using Dragoons? My philosophy on speciality units is that they should be available if there was a historical counterpart, and the costs and stats match how they would actually perform.
    I can't find any info about dragoons, but as the Japanese adopted Napoleonic tactics, it might be possible that they have introduced this unit type. Well, I can always add them later. Currently, I need to rebuild the units table, tweak the new unit stats and have a second look at the diplomacy options.

By the way, I encountered the charge attack crash and fixed it by setting the armour penetration values in _kv_rules to 2, 1, 2 and 1. These values must not be below 1, as it seems. Now I can give units with armour piercing/crushing weapons lower melee attack values, but armour penetration ability.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism