Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 530454647484950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1105

Thread: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Let me just say that I very much appreciate you not abandoning this mod. Despite not being finished, it has been one of Shogun 2's best mods for years.

I just heard about this one, love Shogun 2 and always thought it could use a good realism mod. I'll check it out!

Hi, thanks a lot for the mod. Honestly I haven't played too much, it's not really for my taste, but I appreciate all the changes and the reasoning for them, learned a lot by studying them. The new startpos is especially interesting, I'm not an expert on Sengoku period but CA's choice of 1545 always seemed weird to me: most of the big players of the era is not in the picture, there's the obvious issue of Oda-Tokugawa war etc. I guess they were too fixated on giving all clans some kind of fake equal playing field. Anyway, have you ever considered releasing the startpos separately? I can see that would require some work due to new building&units, but I can do the busywork if needed. Thanks again.

Artifex

Currently, I'm stuck due to engine problems.
    The game distorts the new names and I don't know why.
    There is an officer stuck between the Date city and the countryside who can't be moved anymore.
    The new Shimazu captain who is supposed to be south of Kyuushuu doesn't exist.
    etc.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Was the reduction of unit size to 100 and less intentional or is it a bug on my end?

Artifex

It's intentional. The sonae consisted of 50-100 men.

Update: Name problem fixed. Let's see what I can do about the officers. They are a tough bunch.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; November 25, 2020 at 09:00 AM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Jaggen's Avatar Foederatus

it's good to hear that you're still working on it! Keep my fingers crossed

Default Re: Shogun II Total Realism

Hi Destin. I'll start out by saying this is perhaps my favorite mod, greatly beating up Master of Strategy after I got used to the movespeeds (Units do still look silly to me when they run lol but I've learned to live with it).

I dunno if you've already received the criticism I'm about to give but here goes anyway:

-Samurai unit cap is virtually nonexistent. I don't know if it's because I downloaded an experimental build or it's somehow tied to difficulty (I'm playing on Normal to avoid AI cheating) but as it stands it's far more viable to create a purely samurai army given their short build time and superior quality.

-The opposite applies to navies. From what I've seen unless you get access to a drydock, which is strangely exclusively Mori tech, the only way to expand your navy is to capture enemy vessels. Also, I'm not sure if this is an error with the mod, but boarding more than one ship at once makes my game freeze. I've seen this discussed on forums for other TW games, but this has never happened with mine until I installed your mod.

-Have you considered nerfing bakugeki kobaya and buffing other ships' ranged attacks? Firebomb trivializes every naval engagement as long as you're halfway decent with micro.

-Cannon ships have no way to switch back to regular cannonballs.

-The morale system needs a bit of a rework. For a specific example, I'd point to the fact that enemy units charging my matchlocks break just as the tips of their spears reach my men's throats, which is the absolute worst time to rout as they've finally neutralized the range advantage. Running at that point would just mean turning their backs to the enemy, guaranteeing their death. (Perhaps add a "fighting to the death" condition to any unit who has committed to charging guns?).

-Similar to firebomb kobaya, matchlocks and explosives dominate the battlefield even with your battle stat tweaks. This makes the sengoku campaign feel somewhat of a FOTS beta. Granted it was my choice to recruit so many gunpowder units, but again, the lenient unit cap, and the fact that gunpowder is meta from the start simply makes such a choice optimal. Place firebomb grenadiers behind your matchlock line, and anyone strongwilled enough to rush your guns will be shredded by frags. Not to mention that Ishibiya are DEVASTATING. They're like a 16th century carpet bombing and from what I saw, you can fill a full stack with them. It has been fun winning the Shogunate with all those toys, but I gotta say, it did feel more than a little unearned, if spectacular.

-There is no way to rebuild the Barracks chain or other mod-added chains when the AI inexplicably demolishes it to build defuncts such as stables and archery ranges.

-It'd be great if garrisons still grew according to building level.

Those are just the most immediate concerns I have off the top of my head. I do hope I didn't sound too nitpicky.
    Also, a list of compatible mods or at least factors that decide incompatibility would be great. Again thanks so much for your work. I'm gonna play some more S2TR. Cheers

Artifex

Thanks for the feedback and your kind words.
    I will look at these problems.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Thank you too for considering my feedback

Also, are there any files one can edit that tweaks stats? I'd like to tinker around myself to make small changes that I personally find appealing. For example, I'd like to give Shimazu musket and bow samurai increased melee stats to reflect their skill at swordcraft.

I have lost some of Boshin unit cards in the game. Did i do something wrong? I have download all file except file from "backup" folder.

If i do anything wrong, pls tell me how to fix. Thank u very much

i got the same issue, maybe they haven't implemented yet.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ing-animations

Not to put pressure on anything, but if you could also implement this as a submod that would be awesome. It would be sooooo realistic to see some soldiers ditch their yaris and pull out the katana as a last-ditch or tactical choice. Not to mention would spice up battle anims too.

Also as another suggestion (sorry if these are becoming grating), maybe give clan-special units a dynamic unit cap too? Like dependent on full-rank Military buildings or perhaps some new special buildings, or availability of trade resources. It's just kind of unrealistic that you can only field 1 unit of Shimazu Nodachi or 2 units of Date Bulletproof Yari regardless of how rich you are. Also I feel like Nodachi/Naginata shouldnt be confined to a single clan/province, but that's just me haha idk if others agree. Nagamaki though I can live with it being exclusive to Yamato (?) as it is a bit of a weird weapon. Big props on including that as a new unit of samurai btw.

That reminds me, are you looking to increase unit variety in the future? I feel like there are a lot of vanilla models that could use some repurposing. MOSS did a fantastic job by repurposing Bandits into Militia by giving them different kinds of weapons. Bit implausible to see them in field battles though, which is why I prefer your mod although his buildings system is a bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by falselight View Post
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ing-animations

Not to put pressure on anything, but if you could also implement this as a submod that would be awesome. It would be sooooo realistic to see some soldiers ditch their yaris and pull out the katana as a last-ditch or tactical choice. Not to mention would spice up battle anims too.
    Sounds like a cool mod, but there are no links. Also, I have a feeling that even if samurai use katanas sometimes, their yari would be on their back (like on yari ashigaru), which looks silly imo.

Edit: I played around with animations a bit, and it can be done. But it's weird as units switch from katanas to yaris randomly (since I made the unit use both animations). And you can't avoid the problem of yaris being on their back if they use katanas. A cool idea, but imo kinda silly looking. Although I don't know if you can somehow remove spears on their back when using swords, but I doubt it's possible.
    Last edited by Collateral_dmg; March 21, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    I played around with animations a bit, and it can be done. But it's weird as units switch from katanas to yaris randomly (since I made the unit use both animations). And you can't avoid the problem of yaris being on their back if they use katanas. A cool idea, but imo kinda silly looking. Although I don't know if you can somehow remove spears on their back when using swords, but I doubt it's possible.
    Tbh I'd be willing to make that compromise since I kinda just focus on the dudes fighting for their life (and try to ignore the fact that they attack one by one like some 80s martial arts film). Then again it's up to the modders like yourself to determine what's worth adding. I'd imagine the tweaks you'd have to make to effectively converrt a yari guy into a katana guy (and maybe back again if you want to simulate them picking up a yari again) would be too much trouble for one cool little detail. Unless you could find a way to just make the yari go invisible when in the katana state lol.

Anyway just found out about your mod. About time someone took the idea of S2TR and just went to town with it. Godspeed to you, sir.

Download link is down

Artifex

I had to reinstall NextCloud due to weird update errors. Not for the first time...
    Link: https://fv-cloud.de/index.php/s/deJXFCX5PpycZnS
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

I downloaded the version from the OP. It extracts as a folder, there's no .pack file. Will it still work? Do I still install the Shougun II Total Realism foldern in my data folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Broreale View Post
    I downloaded the version from the OP. It extracts as a folder, there's no .pack file. Will it still work? Do I still install the Shougun II Total Realism foldern in my data folder?
    You can use the link I posted above, it has the pack files