Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: STELLover's MORE TOWNS AND CITIES ON CAMPAIGN=======[[VERSION 4 Released 18 April, 2014]]

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Default Re: STELLover's MORE TOWNS AND CITIES ON CAMPAIGN MAP MOD----------------[UPDATED VERSION 2: 10/12/2013][New Screens]

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    First off, I congratulate you for the initiative to do this. Great job. I do have a couple questions. Are those start models of cities an accessible .cas file and texture type that could used elsewhere...(like in RS2) I'm drooling over them. LOL

Secondly, yes, the little towns in RS2 scattered over the map are just eye candy...BUT, there is a difference. You could feasibly construct a 'Custom Tile' for each one of them, and actually fight battles in them. You cannot do that in Rome2 because Rome2 really doesn't have a 'battlefield', so to speak. It is basically ALL 'Custom Tiles', some specific to major cities like Rome, Carthage, etc., but as for the rest? Generic 'canned maps' that have no (or little) relationship to the strat map. That means that adding cities as you have would need a corresponding addition of a 'place' to fight a battle in it.....and I don't think that's possible.
    Hmm, interesting note you have there. First of all great work on RS- its my favorite mod by far

I have heard about the custom tile thing, and yes, so far as I see it, it is impossible to do so in Rome 2. However, I would think at designating custom tiles for each and every township would be a tremendous amount of work still (but I guess all that matters is the fact that it is possible).

I believe the method you guys use for minor settlements is Resources correct? Designate 3-4 depending on the culture and place them on the campaign map in descr_strat.

To Answer your question, there is a program I am using which would actually allow me to save the RGDV2 models into CAS. I have to say, however, I am not very talented in the whole model-texture thing. Only editing. But the program that I am using is a beta/demo and doesn't allow this function. If someone here is actually kind enough (or crazy enough) to make donations ~$80, I could convert them into CAS as you said. I am a college student and I am already spending way more money then I should be doing

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

Default Re: STELLover's MORE TOWNS AND CITIES ON CAMPAIGN MAP MOD----------------[UPDATED VERSION 2: 10/12/2013][New Screens]

My current work on my spare time is exploring the stratpos file to edit/change coordinates of these models. As far as I know, for all campaign resources and townships like this, CA MUST have had some kind of coordinate system for each and every one for each region. If I can find this and edit this, it would remove ALL POSSIBLE graphical bugs

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Just in browsing through the packs and trying to figure out how the heck CA managed to create a 'place' for players to fight a battle on a map, it appears to me that what they've done is create a few (only two, one for the city of Rome, and one for the Carthage) special maps (tiles), and then a few 'generic' ones that probably match in some way a different setting...ie, Egypt\Mideast\Gaul etc. Then, when you go to fight a battle on this tile, the game randomly creates a small battlefield with no relationship to the strat map, with either a city that you are sieging (a generic one), or an open field battle. The idea has some merit, I suppose, but then becomes a bloody nightmare for anyone who wants to mod the game and add a unique city, or ANY other city to the map.

If the link between these tiles and the actual tiles themselves can be found (the file that connects the 'spot' on the Strat map to a tile), then there could be hope to actually add REAL cities to the map. Still, perhaps a hopelessly complicated task because one would have to create perhaps hundreds of these...and any city you wanted to be unique would be a monstrous project. As hard as it was to do this in RTW\BI, believe me, it is easier than it would be in Rome2, because you don't have to worry about creating a tile or a map...there just IS a map there already.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Just in browsing through the packs and trying to figure out how the heck CA managed to create a 'place' for players to fight a battle on a map, it appears to me that what they've done is create a few (only two, one for the city of Rome, and one for the Carthage) special maps (tiles), and then a few 'generic' ones that probably match in some way a different setting...ie, Egypt\Mideast\Gaul etc. Then, when you go to fight a battle on this tile, the game randomly creates a small battlefield with no relationship to the strat map, with either a city that you are sieging (a generic one), or an open field battle. The idea has some merit, I suppose, but then becomes a bloody nightmare for anyone who wants to mod the game and add a unique city, or ANY other city to the map.

If the link between these tiles and the actual tiles themselves can be found (the file that connects the 'spot' on the Strat map to a tile), then there could be hope to actually add REAL cities to the map. Still, perhaps a hopelessly complicated task because one would have to create perhaps hundreds of these...and any city you wanted to be unique would be a monstrous project. As hard as it was to do this in RTW\BI, believe me, it is easier than it would be in Rome2, because you don't have to worry about creating a tile or a map...there just IS a map there already.
    You just hit the nail in the head. I did notice that the battlemaps/field battles are sort of reflective of the campaign map terrain, but you are right that the cities/minor cities have generic templates, though, the far distance geography also reflects the campaign geography. For example, a battle in Koria you can kind of see the alps mountains. Battle in Garama in the desert there is just endless fields of deserts in the distance.

But yes, I am also trying to find the link you mentioned, though its not my priority yet.

SpankyDmonkey's Avatar Foederatus

great work! absolutely love this mod. Its unfortunate that the cities float when near coastal regions. Is there anyway you can possibly delete just the cities in those coastal regions? if not, is it possible to point out which ones they are so I can remove them myself via pack file manager?

Again great work and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyDmonkey View Post
    great work! absolutely love this mod. Its unfortunate that the cities float when near coastal regions. Is there anyway you can possibly delete just the cities in those coastal regions? if not, is it possible to point out which ones they are so I can remove them myself via pack file manager?

Again great work and thanks for sharing!
    If it was so easy that we could just "delete' with the pack file manager- I would have already done it (Unless you know how to delete/replace them already-please share it with us. We will be delighted to hear it) You don't know right? Thats the exact problem I am having.

My goal is to explore the esf files further to see if there are actually coordinates CA has already put in place for these. But until then, you just have to play with some bothersome floating cities. But hey, there aren't that many so bear with it

SpankyDmonkey's Avatar Foederatus

lmao, nice response. Just thought since they were so accurately placed, you had good idea of where the positioning of each city was. Either way i'm looking forward to the next version, i'll let you know if I can figure anything out. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyDmonkey View Post
    lmao, nice response. Just thought since they were so accurately placed, you had good idea of where the positioning of each city was. Either way i'm looking forward to the next version, i'll let you know if I can figure anything out. Keep it up!
    Sounds cool, i see why you thought so. Thanks buddy

Thx for the great idea sir ; noob question , cud better start a new campain? thx

this is pretty cool! next stop adding regions to the camp map! they did it in shogun 2 so its not impossible.

Laetus

Idk about anyone else, but after seeing this mod I thought about the Houses and how with this mod, it would be possible to divide Italy into the 3 houses, each one a seperate faction.

Quote Originally Posted by samcoolrunner View Post
    Thx for the great idea sir ; noob question , cud better start a new campain? thx
    "cud"??? sorry I don't understand what you mean by that. But if you are asking me if you need to start a new campaign to work, the answer isno (read 1st post please)It is save game compatible

Stell, Patch 5 makes this not work. The game launches fine, but the changes aren't there. So, no more towns and stuff on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by inoksvere View Post
    Stell, Patch 5 makes this not work. The game launches fine, but the changes aren't there. So, no more towns and stuff on the map.

To me works seamlessly with the patch 5. As you can no longer use the Mod Manager of Mitch, you just have to load it from the Mod Manager of Rome 2. I see new cities and towns without problems. Other mods do not work, but this mod if you do.

Hi Stell, is this mod up on the Steam workshop yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Axaios View Post
    Hi Stell, is this mod up on the Steam workshop yet?
    Not yet, but I will upload it ASAP. Thanks for letting me know Axalos

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how I can do this? I am not familiar with Workshop
    Last edited by STELLover; October 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

@STELLover Make sure the mod is in Mod Format and is in your Rome2/data folder. Then, put a 256x256 png image file with the exact same name as the mod in the data folder. Make the image something that represents the mod.

Then, launch Rome 2. Click Mod Manager in the launcher. You should see your mod. Click Upload. After it uploads, it will take you to a page where you can edit the name and details. Make sure to set the visibility to Public.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Very interesting this mod, follow closely over the coming months: D
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

Will this mod be in Workshop??? please do it as it's easiest way to keep our mod updated and for activate and desactivate them

I will upload it tomorrow. I am currently quite busy with Organic Chemistry and Process Synthesis midterm (I am a Chemical Engineer)