Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Patch 4 beta live

Default Re: Patch 4 beta live

Yep, it's the best advice. Take them mods out, and wait for your trusted modder to update his packs. Besides, you gotta see if the devs did improve the base game and what-not.

I need to know if the patches they are releasing are compatible with old saved campaigns, Could anyone answer me???

Wow, patch 4 everyone and 80% of the battles (Small urban and large siege battles) don't work still! Yay! Seriously, this is THE NUMBER ONE issue. If the battles aren't even functioning what is the point in playing? Geez.

I can only blame Steam. Before Steam, people educated themselves and learned these things about mods (very basic information), with Steam, they expect everything to just magical do it all itself and don`t even think about the sense of it any more.
    At least steam lets you repair corrupted files relatively easy, a lot easier than digging for your disks and reinstalling.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Osseon View Post

At least steam lets you repair corrupted files relatively easy, a lot easier than digging for your disks and reinstalling.
    Lack of understanding again. If you know what you`re doing you don`t need a whole utility shovelled on your drive just to fix what you could easily have fixed by just sticking your game CD in the PC and hitting `reinstall`. when it reinstalls it only installs the missing or corrupted files, so you would only wait a few seconds and all`s done. Seam just makes you THINK it`s doing you a service- It isn`t. Wake up. Steam isn`t anything better.

That`s all it is.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

damn, that is a huge list a few more patches like this and the game would be very playable + enjoyable.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Osseon View Post
    Wow, patch 4 everyone and 80% of the battles (Small urban and large siege battles) don't work still! Yay! Seriously, this is THE NUMBER ONE issue. If the battles aren't even functioning what is the point in playing? Geez.
    Can you elaborate more on what 80% of battles not working means? Like they just don't load for you?
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Can you elaborate more on what 80% of battles not working means? Like they just don't load for you?
    The battle starts and the AI will either be frozen in place outside of my walls, or dump all their siege equipment and run through the gate without attacking, killing all their men on my troops (Running through, not attacking) until they all die/route.

In all minor settlement fights the Enemy army will run straight to the capture point without detecting my troops, again running directly through them and dying/routing. I've killed about 7000 men in a minor settlement fight and lost about 100 to friendly fire. All this with my Garrison militia and mobs.

Lack of understanding again. If you know what you`re doing you don`t need a whole utility shovelled on your drive just to fix what you could easily have fixed by just sticking your game CD in the PC and hitting `reinstall`. when it reinstalls it only installs the missing or corrupted files, so you would only wait a few seconds and all`s done. Seam just makes you THINK it`s doing you a service- It isn`t. Wake up. Steam isn`t anything better.

That`s all it is.
    Service Fact: My Age of empires 3 Disc is scratched, I cannot play them anymore, I go to illegal website and download a copy (which I own) so I can play again. Steam does this for free. This is a service.
    Service Fact: I have hundreds of games, many of which need to be updated regularly so I can keep playing them online/with the latest fixes.
    Service Fact: If I reinstall an old game I don't want to download about 5-20 patches so I can just play it online (see: company of heroes)
    Service Fact: Many games probably wouldn't exist without Steam's publishing system.
    Service Fact: I bought games for about $5 that are normally $40 because of steam sales. They can slash prices because it is digital.

These all sound like wonderful services, I could type a list about ten times this size about why steam is good compared to the little bit of bad.

PS: My internet connection is at best, 60kb/s on a good day. Steam multiplayer is by far offering the best connectivity behind my limited ports. Gamespy won't even let me play games.
    Last edited by Osseon; October 04, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Now this is a patch, lotta meat here, nice to see they're actually listening about some things such as adding loose formation. Still needs a lot of work though. One bug that's been plaguing me which I didn't notice in the changelog was the Arverni never getting household members, add that to the list for the next one CA

Remember, it's just a game.

Anyone else having problems with general using superspeed right before charge contact and killing himself crossing the enemy units in beta 4? At least in custom battles all my infantry generals are doing it, they die in the first 5 seconds of combat.

can someone tell me whats the state of the AI? is it still as dumb as a sack of rocks?

DividingSolid's Avatar Tiro

I played the game with the patch and I still want ALL the troops to have loose formation and guard mode. I want my troops to chase routers dammit.
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 04, 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: continuity

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Can we stop arguing about Steam and focus more on the discussion of Patch 4 Beta please. I am not able to play Rome 2 so I'd like to read ab some of the positives and negatives of Patch 4.

People who have tested it and played, post up your experiences so far.
    All war depends upon it.

DividingSolid's Avatar Tiro

I like how they removed the unit shadows when you hold the space bar. Performance is much better because of it.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Patch 4 is decent. YESSSSSSSS LOORRDDDDDDDDDD
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: continuity

In-game benchmark gives something like 4-5fps, graphic settings have basicly no effect, it's the same even when everything is on lowest. Another strange issue is that game main menu freezes(clouds stop moving etc..) after every 2-5 secs and I think the same freeze happens elsewhere in the game also, including benchmark. Problem has to be steam or rome2 related as when I close steam, there is nothing strange going on with my HDD when using Win7 Resource Monitor.

I tried different drivers also for my 7750 but no avail. Freeze and fps issues are rather new, they must have arrived in some later patch 3 hotfix version as different GPU drivers seem to have no effect. So waiting for patch 5 beta it is then...next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    can someone tell me whats the state of the AI? is it still as dumb as a sack of rocks?
    I have noticed some improvements with BAI and especially CAI (read some of the patch notes for more details). When it comes to sieges - it is still braindead.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Patch 4 is decent. YESSSSSSSS LOORRDDDDDDDDDD
    Hmmmmm. Decent you say??

Sounds like a meh new beer you tried, which you won't ever buy again.. But will keep drinking because, well it theres still five left from your 6 pack.
    All war depends upon it.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Rummaging through DB Tables right now to update my mod, and I noticed they completely failed to mention a pretty big *fbomb*ing change.

They got rid of all AP damage from arrows, and buffed the *sbomb* out of javelins and slings.

Lowered the Calibration Distance for all the projectiles as well. Wonder who's idea that was.
    Last edited by Silven; October 04, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

The patch ain't bad. Install it if you are feeling a bit avanturistic and happy for every fix and improvement to the game.

I for one didn't detect a slowdown compared to the previous patch (Ivy Bridge i7 + GT660M - yes, a laptop!). So don't be so scared about this, it might be specific to certain hardware.

The nice thing is the huge (for me it seems huge for the almost weekly patch release schedule) amount of fixes they are including in every patch now, good effort here. Slowly improving the (at the beginning, a very flawed) interface is also a good strategy, as the small interface tweaks are stacking up rather nicely and differences are noticeable here compared to the release version of the game.

But we are only talking about the fixing of bugs and some interface tweaks here. AI's stupidity remains the core problem of this game and little tweaks won't fix it as the AI design seems to be flawed at its core. What they are doing right now is tweaking (changing lots of game variables) to try to hide the inherently problematic behaviour of the AI. I am afraid that this stupid behaviour is hardcoded into the very core of the AI code, and only a decent rewrite of that would make the game enjoyable and challenging. For example, they increased AI's preference for military buildings and tweaked AI's armies structure. But that doesn't help a lot, as the AI still doesn't know how to use it's armies and usually fails utterly to conduct a single meaningful and tactical offensive maneuver. Units still sit and wait before the walls of an enemy settlement. They still decide to sit on top of captured walls. They still slaughter themselves at gates. They still try to run through enemy formations to the flag. You can try hiding these problems with small tweaks in AI's favour, but it will still make a lousy game.

But I know expectations are high (particularly on this forum) and I at least want to applaud CA's effort and the fixing done to this day (better than nothing). But it is merely a start of a long and winding journey to making this game playable and enjoyable (which, at the end, will probably be completed by our great modders).

Oh and, this is a thread about the PATCH 4 BETA. It is NOT about Steam. So grow the ---- up and take your flaming someplace else, and please learn to read thread titles.
    Last edited by superca; October 04, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by universalmind View Post
    • Enemies routing now have double the morale impact.

gg. Everything already routed when one unit broke anyway.

AKA, don't make skirmishers or your whole army is compromised.
    But "enemies routing now have double the morale impact" surely means the morale bonus to one side's units from an enemy unit routing is doubled, not that the morale penalty from units on it's own side routing is doubled. Unless the patch notes are expressing it very badly?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast