Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Victorius's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: House and Character sign-up

yeah the list with taken houses is on the first page of this threat (you cant join a taken house without the players permission) but like i said there are that much houses

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Zethira View Post
    *mutters about not being able to edit posts yet*

If a mod could edit this into the post above, please?

Anyway, jacb, the idea was for them to be 'Lord's Bannerman', that would be one province in the 'High Lordships and Minor Houses' regions, right?
    Yes but Lord Bannerman must be of the house known to control the province unless there is none.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Folks I am gonna move these posts to the FAQ thread, we don't need clutter in the sign up thread
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Okay, just to get this straight:

Flint Keep
    - Tine's End
    - Crow's Edge
    - Arrondale
    - Shadowmoor

If i were to create a Noble House, would i rule over Shadowmoor or the entirety of the Flint Keep region?
    [/QUOTE]
    As Shadowmoor is not the High Lord's seat, you would not rule over the entirety of the High Lordship. If you took Flint Keep, then yes, you would.
    Last edited by Xion; December 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Okay, just to get this straight:

If i were to create a Noble House, would i rule over Shadowmoor or the entirety of the Flint Keep region?
    ]

You should know that the Clansmen are very different compared to the rest of Westeros.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Citizen

Plus Flint Keep is controlled by a canon house, House Flint. You could rp them if you so desire.

Sorry, didn't know the posts discussing this had been moved to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    The ruling family isn't actually specified so House Voskari of Shadowmoor seems ok, just be sensible with their story: they're a Northern Mountain Clan rather than a more traditional Westerosi Andal 'House'.
    Sounds great to me

Okay, question that would fit here:

If i'd create a sellsword character, would I

- Be able to establish my Guild in the same province and/or region as my Lord?

- Have ties with my Lord that are not related to finances?

- Have my Lord hire the band at the going rate just like everyone else?

Just something to better understand where the dividing line lies.

-----
    "Careful little Lord. The North is ruled by more than samurai alone..."

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

All three are a 'no'. Sellswords aren't allowed to have any ties with your other characters.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Thanks for the heads up, thought they just weren't allowed to have any financial ties but it's good i asked then.

-----

Yeah we're just trying to make sure it remains fair for other players who don't have sellsword chars.

Okay, here's one that came up when i was looking at the losses.

How do professional troops regenerate? Do you 'buy' them again to fill them back up (for example, losing 40% of a 1,000 GD regiment will cost you 400 GD to refill) or is it automatic at the end of the year like levies are when upkeep is paid for? And if the latter, how would it work for sellswords, who don't pay for upkeep?

-----

I believe you should indeed pay the % of the price that you lost.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quick refresher questions:

The trade goods are now all the same value (100,000 dragons) correct? So the tax is a maximum of 10,000 dragons fro non-Great Houses?
    I cannot remember if we abolished tax on vassals or not, if we didn't; are High Lords able to tax their own vassals, and what kind of limits are there for this?

Trade is a flat 10,000 for everyone now. Unless you are the Arbor, White Harbor, Gulltown, King's Landing, Oldtown, or Lannisport. These either make 15,000 (Arbor, WH, Gulltown, Lannisport) or 20,000 per route(KL, Oldtown)

I think we did get rid of taxation of vassals on every level.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Librarian's Avatar Ducenarius
    Please get me out of this hellhole of the UK

Uhm, I was wondering could you join just a person rather than a weird auto-you-own-the-region thing? As I was thinking of being a slave who eventually killed/wounded his master and ran away. And taking his money, clothes and possessions and work a way up maybe?
    Also If I do join it will be my first time role playing on TWC but I have plenty of experience from outside.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
    Uhm, I was wondering could you join just a person rather than a weird auto-you-own-the-region thing? As I was thinking of being a slave who eventually killed/wounded his master and ran away. And taking his money, clothes and possessions and work a way up maybe?
    Also If I do join it will be my first time role playing on TWC but I have plenty of experience from outside.
    Slavery is outlawed throughout the history of Westeros ever since the arrival of the Andals and the Faith of the Seven (its been a 1001 years since the arrival of the Faith and Andals, so slavery is outlawed). The are only two other places where slavery exists. Essos, which is off limits (for certain reasons) and rather undeveloped in this current period because the Free Cities don't even exist and the Valyrian Freehold is just rising. And the Iron Islands, except they take Thralls and Salt Wives, which are not slaves in the literal sense, but are subject to low status similar to slaves. Thralls are indentured servants who are captured through raiding. Same goes for salt wives, they are concubines for the Ironborn captured by raiding. Both exist in the same level that slaves would, but they cannot be sold, they remain the property of the Ironborn till death it seems. But their children can gain freedom through being Drowned and surviving it.

I am sorry, but you would be rather isolated and be hard pressed if you worked from the bottom up. Most of the land would be taken by the time you have achieved something and not a lot of people would be willing to take a freed slave as potential vassal. I cannot find any sort of reference/incident to a freed servant becoming a noble or higher than a knight (which holds a greater chance of gaining than nobility, but still hard).

I mean its not a bad idea, don't take it the wrong way. The problem is that, in the past, others have expressed such interest, but the game wasn't built that way. So that makes it hard to achieve what you are aiming for.

It would be best if you joined someone as their retainer or vassal perhaps.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; February 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Librarian's Avatar Ducenarius
    Please get me out of this hellhole of the UK

Thank you, do you know if all the surrounding Islands have been taken? And also I was wondering what are the races? As in would you find any Eastern (Real word ethnicities in this world) E.g. black and etc.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
    Thank you, do you know if all the surrounding Islands have been taken? And also I was wondering what are the races? As in would you find any Eastern (Real word ethnicities in this world) E.g. black and etc.
    Well, involving cultures that you can be, its Andal or Ironborn. Andal eventually divides up into sub-cultures of Westerlanders, Riverlanders, Valemen, Crownlanders, Reachmen, Dornish and Stormlander (not exactly sure when these cultures form, but they do at some point. Probably when or after the Six Andal kingdoms begin to form). The Ironborn race/culture that my character rules is known to be a subculture of the First Men at this time, who are the only non-Andal influenced race at this time that is playable. Andal settlers don't arrive (according to the history of Westeros) for another 1,000 - 2,000 years. The First Men have retreated to the North which is unplayable at this time. There are other cultures in the world, but they would be unable to get to Westeros at this time or just unknown to Westeros (and I would rather not explain all those cultures cause they aren't important to this setting).

The cultures available of this setting are very Western influenced. The Eastern influenced cultures aren't available however for reasons stated already and others ones as well.

You either can be of the Andal or Ironborn cultures. Either one of those.

If you be Ironborn, you will have to ask Jokern, Axis or I for where you can be a vassal.
    Wanna be an Andal, talk to the mods about territory or talk to one of our Andal players and see if you can be a vassal of them.

I would also recommend reading up on this wikia page before getting involved with this rp so that way you have an idea about this setting and the history of Westeros
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

Just to note, we are in 1000 AI (After Andal Invasion) which has very little information on the wikia. We did estimations and a discussion with our fellow players in order to make this setting work with what little information we had previously.

If you have questions, just ask here.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; February 28, 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast