Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default Re: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Nice!
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

So I've thought about joining this again, but I really don't want to be anything big to start with, just a random dude. So first off, I want to make sure that's even allowed, as this was in the past almost entirely house-based. Secondly, any ideas for what to do with such a character/where in Westeros to start?

It's allowed. Knock on the Hand's door in King's Landing, I always have work for skilled individuals.

Alright, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    So I've thought about joining this again, but I really don't want to be anything big to start with, just a random dude. So first off, I want to make sure that's even allowed, as this was in the past almost entirely house-based. Secondly, any ideas for what to do with such a character/where in Westeros to start?
    The Queen/House Lannister is always up for additional RP with whatever characters

Alrighty then. I think I'm going to make a blacksmith char, and if I eventually make enough money I'm going to be Batman, because why not.

A merchant? Sounds cool, we don't have many this time around

Never tried being a merchant, but given I don't know anything about GoT this is probably the game to do it in as opposed to a game where I know what I'm doing as anything else.

I wouldn't let not knowing how to do something limit you, I'm sure we'd all help along the way as usually happens, be whatever you want to be!

Well I think what I want to be in this is a merchant, so that's what I'll be.
    When I have time to finish my char.

Okay, so i've been reading the rules and stuff, and i'm wondering about posting rate. What's the more or less expected posting rate for this game? Because with all the financial stuff going on as well, it's hard to imagine getting three months of pay at the end of a thread where you just talk to some random people while off duty one night.

You can't leave the game for like a month and come back expecting to collect income. In fact after about two weeks of not posting that's about the longest we'd wait before booting someone.

I was referring to long threads that would generally take a couple of weeks to finish given a posting rate of roughly three per week. If the RP threads work the way i think they do, anyway. Are the threads location based (as in, two people RPing in location A go to the thread marked "Location A") or RP based (as in, two people create a thread called "RPname, Location A" and RP there)?

Obviously not going to jump in with an entire House at the beginning, just a single Sworn Sword in the service of an as of yet undetermined House, at least until i get the hang of it and 'upgrade' to a Banner House.

We 'timestamp' threads the moment they start. Say you start a thread on December the 21st 10 pm, you can RP being at a totally different place the day after, even though the one RP is still going on. You can 'duplicate' your characters so to speak, if needed. Exceptions are if your character is in a besieged castle or at any other location they can't exit.

If your thread takes three weeks to play out properly, you'll still get the three years of income.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Also if you have a legitimate reason for being gone for a long period of time, the mods can be lenient and grant you a certain amount or all the income you have missed, depending on how long you have been gone.

Another term for what Adamat said is "timewarped."
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Thanks, was wondering about that.

Now, on to get some food and get some character generation going!

Victorius's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: House and Character sign-up

You can't just invent a house there are that many to choose

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...us-Information
    (List of High Lordships and Minor Houses)

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Well you can but they can't be lords I think.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Oh, that was actually deliberate. You'll note that both twins are daughters which will eventually marry into other families, and by the time the Lord and Lady start dying from old age i'll have enough of a handle on the system to start RPing as (a member of) an existing House (through Tyrene or Aiyana's children) without making a dog's dinner out of it.

The 'Tutorial Campaign', if you will

I could still move to an existing House right now if you want (is there a list showing which are already taken, btw?), though... yeah. RPing isn't an issue, but my historical knowledge of Westeros is somewhat limited though.

*mutters about not being able to edit posts yet*

If a mod could edit this into the post above, please?

Anyway, jacb, the idea was for them to be 'Lord's Bannerman', that would be one province in the 'High Lordships and Minor Houses' regions, right?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast