Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

We want to make your sign-up process as easy as possible so you can join in the fun. Feel free to ask any questions here or to receive help.

Here's the Rules thread, which you'll need to refer to a few times while making your characters.

First thing to do is make a character, or multiple. You'll need to look at the "Traits" section in the rules to make sure you create characters with a legal set of traits. The first post in the Character sign up thread also contains a list of noble houses already signed up, so pick one that is free. The following parts of the rules will help you decide:

- "Land Incomes for Nobles" will give you a list of how much money each noble house gets in taxes from their land.
    - "List of High Lordships and Minor Houses" will tell you your houses position in the feudal hierarchy. There are prominent houses that command vassals of their own.
    - "Provincial Levy Numbers" will tell you what armies your house commands.

Second thing to do is create a home thread, this is where other characters can visit your own character. You can check out other people's threads for the sort of detail they normally put in their threads. In general they put:

- The income (from the sources I mentioned above)
    - The trade routes (see "Trade" in the rules, every region in Westeros creates a certain good that provides a bonus, and every house can also get 2 other resources by asking other houses in Westeros to trade with them)
    - The military they command (you have a Levy, from "Provincial Levy Numbers" and can also acquire a semi-professional militia force by buying certain things)

Third is making a Family bank thread, where you'll post your incomes and expenses every week. You can find out how much money you start with looking at "Starting Incomes/Promotion Money" in the rules.

Every week (on Friday) you get your yearly incomes, which are usually:
    - Your province tax (see the rules, mentioned above)
    - Your trade income (you get 10,000 Dragons for each trade route)
    - Your stipend (everyone that isn't the Lord Paramount gets 10,000 Dragons a year as a bonus)
    - Any other money you get (gifts, bribes, spoils of war, whatever)

You can look at what you can spend money on in the Bull's Wares (which sells you buildings and equipment) and the Barracks thread (which sells you professional soldiers). In the Bull's Wares are also the cost of some laws you can enact (called Edicts, so for example you can raise a semi-professional militia by buying the "Militias" and/or "Military Infrastructure" laws every week).

I think that's decent enough to get you started on. Ask any questions you may have, we're a helpful bunch!
    Last edited by Poach; May 22, 2016 at 06:30 AM.

Default Re: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

When I noticed the RP was up again I thought it would be nice to join it, and such I've been thinking the whole day to do it or not. It's not the first time I roleplay, but the first in few years. I Decided to choose the Connington. However I'm a bit late and such I have a question: May I still join the wedding, or I'm too late?
    And another one: It's possible to have a Red Priest in one of family's member retinue?

If I can join, and new members are welcomed, I have my House's Profile almost ready.

Regards

Ps:If it's not the place to answer those questions of mine, I apologize.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

-The Wedding feast, no...you're not too late.
    -...Yes, it is possible to have a Red priest. But in the past, it has sometimes led to problems for the people who have them or convert to R'hollor...just so you know.

Welcome Oznerol to this RP.

We are happy to welcome new members to the game. Simply just post your character/House bios in the sign-up thread, create your home thread in the Land of the Seven subforum and then you can begin your RP in earnest.

You are not too late to join the wedding RP, so feel free to make your entrance there.

As for the Red Priest, yes you can create a Red Priest for your character retinue.

The only thing that I would say is do note that House Connington is considered a minor Lord in our rule set so you won’t have access to a large income or a large number of soldiers.

If you want to start with a more powerful House, I would try to find a House that is considered to be a High Lord in our game rules. For example, House Swann of Stonehelm or House Tarth of Tarth are High Lords in the Stormlands.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here or in the OOC thread.

Thanks both, then I'll submit right now both, the home and the House bio. And I'll try make an entrance, however I'll have to read the whole thread to see what's happening.
    But I won't worry so much I've don't have much wealth nor a large army, the fun, at least for me, is in little details, and in a good story, Griffin's Roost offered a charismatic seat, and an almost unknown House lore-wise, with great opportunities, and such. So I'll give a try to the red headed griffins! Let the Tarth have his Zaphire Island
    And yes, I don't mind if problems arrive, even if R'hllor is a source of them. However it's not the Lord who pays atention to the foreign priest, but his second son.

Thanks for your kindness.

Regards

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Icon5 some questions

If I want to have a character that is good at command and training troops what skills does it need? To be a Drill Sargent what is required and what ingame benefits might it have? Would drilling troops and commandeering them use the same skills?

Can skills boost trade and overall economy (industry/constructions) of a region? If yes which ones?

How is naval combat handled, similar to land ones but with different skills attached?

How can someone become, or make someone a noble if not starting out like that, can I as example hand a castle to a mercenary and declare him my vassal? Is there any way to ensure someone who earned a title actually gets it handed to him/her?

Default Re: some questions

There's no mechanism in the game for drilling troops. For better command skills the basic +battle traits are the best bet. It's pretty self explanatory in that regard.

The whole noble/commoner difference is rather blurred and outdated in my opinion.

Is that an opinion in RL? or in regards with GoT? I wonder because the Freys are even now regarded as an upstart family of rats despite being nobility for centuries.

For becoming a noble man, you have to make a character a knight by the sword of a noble one after he has proven himself in battle.
    However, most of these men will still count as hedge knights, so they will be still of lower rank for the High Lordships. To become lord you will definitly need a LP or the King on your side and their favor for achieving this goal among several other knights.

Other ways I know how persons became nobles are by being Goldcloak Commander or being appointed by the King/Queen (Regent). Janos Slynt is such an example, but as the hedge knights granting a title or lordship doesn't mean, that nobles do treat him equal with others of their kind. Birth circumstances are sometimes more important than the official rank in society, never forget about this. It's possible, but hard to become accepted.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by joriandrake View Post
    Is that an opinion in RL? or in regards with GoT? I wonder because the Freys are even now regarded as an upstart family of rats despite being nobility for centuries.
    I think that's what Pontifex meant. It perhaps isn't so logical to give nobles more traits than commoners. Yes they have better starts in life but this a) doesn't account for all the drive and ambition that historical bastards and commoners have made up for in their lack of 'good starts in life' (many nobles have been wasters too...Freys etc) b) it encourages players to make all their characters noble for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by joriandrake View Post
    The Freys are considered upstarts because of their violation of the sacred "guest rights". It doesn't have anything to do with their commoner/nobility status. It was that violation that made them one of the most hated in all of Westeros.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Actually...
    Freys are speculatively no more than robber barons.
    Their ancestors bought a bridge, expanded, eliminated rivals, and built a castle on it.
    All because they could tax and toll the out of anything that passed over it.
    But that doesn't really have any bearing on the theme of this debate.

I agree with the sentiments of changing the skill system, if only because I want to see more characters from lower stratas, but..
    A) I'm not going to spend any energy on messing with things that aren't necessarily broken (or at least, not broken enough).
    The Game of Thrones RPG has a long of history of endless nonsense and debates about semantics and personal perspective of the feudal world.
    I'm just personally done with it, and everytime I see a new proposal pop-up, I take a deep sigh.
    B) I know people will primarily play nobles. Because everyone likes being clean plotting nobles and knights, not downtrodden serfs without anything remotely close to the education of the modern world.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 30, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

I just had a glance through the threads here... I'm interested in playing, though I haven't played a game like this before.

Is there like a guide for someone completely ignorant to all that's going on? I'm not too sure as to where to start with aux characters, what to do, how to do it, along with a bunch of other stuff. I'm clueless here, but intrigued.
    Last edited by High Fist; November 02, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Reading the rules and a battle thread should give you some clue.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Reading all the rules isn't necessary, just skim them. We all will help you with understanding the rules where needed.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

A clue, indeed. I won't really have time to play as a full set of characters... But maybe one, just one...

Yeah I guess so. I'll be back, with a short and unimaginative bio!
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

I'd like to join - does it matter that's I've only read a just over half of A Game of Thrones, only watched the TV series via YouTube clips and everything else I know of ASOIAF comes from the Internet?
    Signature loading...

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Braginski View Post
    I'd like to join - does it matter that's I've only read a just over half of A Game of Thrones, only watched the TV series via YouTube clips and everything else I know of ASOIAF comes from the Internet?
    I am a moderator and I haven't read any of the books, watched 2 seasons of the show and used wikis as my only source of info. Doesn't matter here my friend as long as you know what you are doing.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I am a moderator and I haven't read any of the books, watched 2 seasons of the show and used wikis as my only source of info. Doesn't matter here my friend as long as you know what you are doing.
    Yeah, fortunately I know enough of the series to make it sound believable, as long as I don't do too far out of my depth. Thanks mate
    Signature loading...

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

i'm for it, although i'm not an expert on it (i just know the basics)
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast