Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

Default Re: New Players Look Here! [FAQ & Help Thread]

I was planning on joining this and wanted to ask a few questions.

1) I've seen some posts where some folk have listed equipment that they have, such as a helmet or a sword. Do all armor and weapons give bonuses to your traits, or just certain types of armor and weapons?

2) Do characters start out with weapons and armor, or do they have to acquire it, and if it's the latter, where do you acquire it from?

1. Weapons give a bonus to a character's duel trait, and armor gives +1 hp in duels per piece, along with a +2 hp and +2 to duels if you have a complete set for a total of 10 hp and +2 to duels.

2. You have to purchase arms and armor for your character, and they are purchased in the Bull's Wares thread.

Thanks for the information.

TraykxSkyle's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forums! Always fun to see new players here.

1) Yes, as long as they agree there is no problem.

2) Most people play as a lord, but you can also play as a sellsword (mercenary) or a merchant. Playing as a high lord is pretty easy, then you get some influence and power to play with as well. If you want to focus solely on characters, then a single knight/sworn sword character is always available. You will always find someone who'll take you into their service, so don't worry about that.
    Thank you for the swift answers.

Another question ? Is it possible to just roll a new Knight? If so (I've read the rules on traits etc) are there any other restrictions/guidelines you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by TraykxSkyle View Post
    Thank you for the swift answers.

Another question ? Is it possible to just roll a new Knight? If so (I've read the rules on traits etc) are there any other restrictions/guidelines you'd recommend?
    You can create a new knight, just ensure that if you're using a House currently being controlled by that player you speak with them beforehand and work out a back story. Generally it isn't a problem unless someone wants to try to create a character with some claim on a title and then tries to pursue the claim - or something like that. Generally speaking you'd be pretty safe taking a House name from a relatively minor House, but obviously if you wanted to use Lannister you'd need permission.

Actually, since things are going so far good in the Vale, but I kinda lack Houses, which could be interesting with the current setting,
    here's a small list of Houses which had so far done something within the entire Vale or could be considered interesting for people, who think about signing up a Valesman House:

House Royce of Runestone
    Apart from participating in the recent war within the realm for Arryn's cause (Blackfyre), they helped in the aftermath with the persuading of Lady Darry (originally a Lady from House Grafton) House Arryn to reclaim the Eyrie from a treacherous steward called Ser Rodrik Egen.
    As a donation for their efforts, House Royce got rewarded with the Title Keeper of the Gates of the Moon, refering to an actual ingame-province.

People signing up for Royce can instantly sign up a second character of their House for the second province. RP-wise I would consider them Arryn-loyal as during the moderated rolls and provided RP, they were pretty reasonable and willing to aid their Lord Paramount.

House Grafton:
    Aided the Arryns as well during the war, while their wharfts also produced ships, which I bought for House Arryn. They offered their naval support to the piratelord Saan, a member of the Band of the Nine, who supported Maelys on order of House Arryn,
    while staying neutral during the Civil War in the Vale, despite Lady Darry's request for aid.
    As mentioned above, Graftons have ties to House Darry due to marriage

House Hunter:
    Not much to say about them. They joined Arryn during the war, remained inactive during the Civil War.
    The current Lord Arryn is a descendant from a deceased Lady Hunter, who married the previous Lord Arryn.

House Hardyng:
    Overlords of the Scorched Vale, followed also Arryn so far during the War against the Targaryens, while recovering as well during the Civil War.
    They will become potentially interesting, as the young Lord Arryn intends after both wars to rebuild the neighboured province Crow's Barren, while funding the project with his own finances.
    House Hardyng will be allowed to name the overlord of this region afterwards, as long as it is a Valesman - potentially it is likely that they might even name a member of their own House, since it's their own lands.

House Arryn of Gulltown (for experienced/established RPers):
    After some thoughts I think I will allow people to sign up as the Arryn side branch at Gulltown, meaning that I will put a lot of trust in whomever, who signs up as this person.
    Though distant relatives, I would count the Gulltown Arryns still as members of the family and might consider to name them my successors, should my entire family die out by whatever circumstances.
    But handle them rather like Karstarks in the North or the Lannisters of Lannisport, since these worked out also excellent in the past - The Gulltown Arryns might work good as replacements for the Worst Case Scenario, but their claims on the Eyrie are according to the lore not the best and working against your LP is always tied with the risk of me doing something about it, obviously.

If you sign up as the Gulltown Arryn family, I kinda expect you to be a merchant character or something in this direction, as this is apparently the case within the lore.
    Thus I recommend Gulltown Arryns for people, who plan to roleplay an established Merchant family, while I would do my best in my position as an LP to provide them RP opportunities like establishing trade routes, talks with the distant family and similiar stuff. And if someone signed up for Grafton it's even more golden. There's probably a lot of ambitions these Arryns can have, since I see a lot of potential within Gulltown as a harbour city.
    Since this kind of roleplay is more complex, I rather recommend it for the core players than for new players. But if you can convince me with a good concept via Private message or whatever, then I'm willing to give in for a compromise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why to RP in the Vale, you might ask?
    Because as mentioned above a lot of stuff is planned and we have currently a nice setting. Valesman are considered Blackfyre-affilated since the war, so there might be prejudices against them now, causing mayhaps some to do their best to wash off their sins,
    while the current Arryn ruler aims for more coalition with the realm and redemption (House words of House Arryn have been changed to: We shall redeem instead of the regular "As High as Honor" by wish of the current Lord Paramount).
    Within these plans, there will definitly be Vale RP about dealing with the Mountain Clans, since this is also a story arc, I tied to my family, while the rest of the realm might grant other opportunities or other Valelords/persons acting in the Vale can do their best to create new plotlines, so we never grow too bored.

So yeah, merely a suggestion, but if it has caught your curiousity, feel free to sign up for any of them (though ask me about the Gulltown Arryns mayhaps first ^^).

I have never played an RPG like this before, just a couple of questions:
    1: I want to create a random character, not affiliated with any house to begin with (probably a sellsword of some kind, with no land to speak of), is that OK?
    2: How would I begin, would I just turn up in one of the threads, or would I need to go through a process?
    There are more questions.
    Feel free to PM me about this because I have no idea what i'm doing so if you don't want this thread to get bogged down in details it might be better

Thanks

1. yes
    2. You'd begin simply by signing up the character. See the rules thread for sellsword rules. It can be kind of difficult to understand in the first place but use this thread to ask questions.

(it might be easier signing up a lordly house to familiarize yourself with rules)

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    (it might be easier signing up a lordly house to familiarize yourself with rules)
    You can also go the Sworn sword route where you are sworn to another player house, but you don't have all the responsibilities of a Lordship right off the bat. It gets you more rp than a sell sword which can be very hit or miss in times of peace.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345