Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition now available!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TprBGOWXmd8 starting at 09:00.

I dont know if he is using your mod but thats the way caesar (and other generals as well) look. It's not supposed to be like that, right?

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia View Post

I dont know if he is using your mod but thats the way caesar (and other generals as well) look. It's not supposed to be like that, right?
    The issue is probably that the CiG factions count as completely different factions, sort of like how the tutorial Roman Empire is different from the one seen in the grand campaign, as far as the coding goes.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia View Post

OnionOfShame is right. The three different parts of the game - The Prologue, the Grand Campaign, and the Caesar In Gaul Expansion - have separate entries in the uniform colour files, so any unit present in all of them must have three different mod entries in those DB files or vanilla colours rule. ACR2 has no bearing on the CIG yet, and only the Roman factional theme on the Prologue. But I just modded the Hastati into the latter, and can easily put in the rest of the Roman units for diversity in the Prologue as well. The Samnites would be included in the update.

But I'm very reluctant to buy the CIG. CA let me down with that forced reduction in unit (colour) variety from patch 7 which disabled my comp's initial capacity to show the game in its full glory. The units appear considerably less interesting now. Modding still brings some satisfaction, but it's not on the same level as before. And they still have a lot to fix in the rest of the game in order to reach the same level of overall quality as in Shogun 2. Not that keen to support them with more money before they do. R2 may very well be my last TW game I purchase.

So CIG may not be supported by ACR2 at all.

Planned to include all Gallic tribes available for the main game in the update, though.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    But I'm very reluctant to buy the CIG. CA let me down with that forced reduction in unit (colour) variety from patch 7 which disabled my comp's initial capacity to show the game in its full glory. The units appear considerably less interesting now. Modding still brings some satisfaction, but it's not on the same level as before. And they still have a lot to fix in the rest of the game in order to reach the same level of overall quality as in Shogun 2. Not that keen to support them with more money before they do. R2 may very well be my last TW game I purchase.
    I asked Jack if he could fill us in on that situation in his variantmesh tutorial thread, but he hasn't responded yet. I would think he'd address it at some point because it impacts how you approach editing the definitions.

Haven't let the game update yet to see if there are any relevant changes, but likely doing so today. Backed up everything for comparison. Then there's the incoming 8.1 beta...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    I asked Jack if he could fill us in on that situation in his variantmesh tutorial thread, but he hasn't responded yet. I would think he'd address it at some point because it impacts how you approach editing the definitions.

Haven't let the game update yet to see if there are any relevant changes, but likely doing so today. Backed up everything for comparison. Then there's the incoming 8.1 beta...
    Let me know how Jack responds to your question. Very interested to hear it.

I don't think patch 8.1 will hold any good news for us in this regard. This patch was probably already in the pipeline when patch 7 was released, so is not likely to be shifting back so soon. Got my hopes more pinned to patch 9. They'd have more time to adjust it to gamer feedback for patch 7 with that one.

I realized the other day that unless I mod all factions in R2, I will not play this game. Not properly, like in a campaign. The unedited colours are simply too disruptive for my sense of realism and immersion. And my willingness to play the game depends in large part on how this unit variety issue is resolved.

I've decided to release one unplanned update for this mod, an expanded variant of the Light Edition, or a special edition for Christmas, if you will.

That's all I can promise.

After that, this project may go anywhere (even back to idea status, as this would be the least demanding thing for me to do).
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Ran a comparison on the variantmeshes folder... no major changes. Just some minor alterations to greek units and gear, plus all of the new stuff related to the Gaul campaign.

A quick eyeball check in game shows that the limitation is still in effect.

I wouldn't expect a change based on player feedback in the 8.1 beta, but we might see the progression of what they had planned in the first place. Still can't see them deliberately leaving things in this state.

EDIT: Looking at the 8.1 beta now... same deal. So ignore that bit of hopeful speculation

I had been working casually on a fix pack for vanilla variantmesh definitions. With the lack of attention in the latest patches, I think I'll increase my effort there... I can't stand looking at gimped unit variety either, especially where faction specific overhauls come up short. I have all of the Celtic clothing done along with some Iberian and Eastern. Breaking up the parts definitions actually goes pretty quickly, but finding all of the reference assignments in the unit definitions and confirming everything is working as intended is more .

I'll probably start a thread for it in the coming week as I flesh it out a bit more.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; December 19, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Demokritos. I don't know have you spotted these pictures about Bactria, but I believe your current bactria recolor is wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Ran a comparison on the variantmeshes folder... no major changes. Just some minor alterations to greek units and gear, plus all of the new stuff related to the Gaul campaign.

A quick eyeball check in game shows that the limitation is still in effect.

I wouldn't expect a change based on player feedback in the 8.1 beta, but we might see the progression of what they had planned in the first place. Still can't see them deliberately leaving things in this state.

EDIT: Looking at the 8.1 beta now... same deal. So ignore that bit of hopeful speculation

I had been working casually on a fix pack for vanilla variantmesh definitions. With the lack of attention in the latest patches, I think I'll increase my effort there... I can't stand looking at gimped unit variety either, especially where faction specific overhauls come up short. I have all of the Celtic clothing done along with some Iberian and Eastern. Breaking up the parts definitions actually goes pretty quickly, but finding all of the reference assignments in the unit definitions and confirming everything is working as intended is more .

I'll probably start a thread for it in the coming week as I flesh it out a bit more.
    You have all my backing for that thread, Kurisu. It would be the very first mod I'd pick for R2, if given the choice. If you need help with that project, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Demokritos. I don't know have you spotted these pictures about Bactria, but I believe your current bactria recolor is wrong:

Haven't seen those pics. All I had to go on for the current Baktrian theme is an illustration of a Baktrian cavalry archer and general, which can be found here, among other places. So this was for correct for some of their cavalrymen, at least. But those new pics give me better material for their infantry and other cavalry. I'll see if I can include those in the update.

Thank you for helping me with the Baktrians, Noif!

Meanwhile, the work on the Gauls for my update comes along fine...

The Helvetii...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Theme inspired by a painting by Charles Gleyre.

The Treverii...

The Tylis...

The Artebartes...
    Pretty realistic, I'd say.

Check also the Carnutes in post #2. And the Galatians and Boii soon to appear in the OP.

All fifteen Gallic tribes available in the main game will be included in the update. None of them for the Caesar In Gaul DLC, I'm afraid. Don't have that expansion and will rest my hand buying it, for reasons explained above.

@Banksia - You had something like this in mind for the Roman Auxiliary Archers?
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 20, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post

@Banksia - You had something like this in mind for the Roman Auxiliary Archers?
    Yup, exactly! Thanks, and those Celts are looking sweet!

Content Emeritus

Any progress on your mod?

Any progress on your mod?
    Thanks for asking. The answer is: there will be a 55b out next week. Featuring over 220 new uniforms compared to vanilla and other mods of its kind.

Loved your Shogun 2 mods and was happy to find you are doing the same for Rome 2 as it is VERY much in need of an overhaul. Keep up the good work and looking forward to future releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaken View Post
    Loved your Shogun 2 mods and was happy to find you are doing the same for Rome 2 as it is VERY much in need of an overhaul. Keep up the good work and looking forward to future releases.
    Nice to hear, Deaken, and I appreciate you taking the trouble to let me know this.

I actually have some news on the R2 project...

ACR2 is hitting the game shores in a new and larger costume. Check out the OP for the details.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Updated to New Year Edition with a Prologue Special.

Nice work, mate! I liked a lot those baktria recolors!

Happy new year for you!

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Updated to New Year Edition with a Prologue Special.

I've found something that might be interesting for this.
    http://historum.com/ancient-history/...-clothing.html

Tunics of the Republican-early Imperial Periods...

What is known about military tunics is this: pure white was considered fancy, off white was considered a basic garment for soldier and civilian alike, red was the color of the gods, especially Mars, blue was the color of the sea and was therefore the color of marines’ tunics until at least the 4th Century AD, and black, purple, pink, yellow, and green were all considered unsuitable for military usage-the first because it symbolized death, and the rest because they were considered feminine colors.

And Happy New Year.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Nice work, mate! I liked a lot those baktria recolors!

Happy new year for you!
    Glad you like the new Baktrians. You can thank your own input for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    I've found something that might be interesting for this.
    http://historum.com/ancient-history/...-clothing.html

And Happy New Year.
    Always interesting to hear the facts about the clothing of Romans and other factions that might be in need of recolouring. Thanks for the info, Dude.

It coincides with my own principal source on this matter, which can be found here. See other parts of that site for info about the Roman use of colours in general.

It would be only natural if Roman soldiers often used undyed clothing, as it would be the simplest and cheapest thing to produce. My mod also contains several hues for the Romans that could be described as "off-white". But the shading applied to the textures sometimes makes it look brighter and "whiter" than it is. In other cases it forces me to use brighter shades of white so as to avoid the result looking too grey. Better troops and officers have usually been given a "purer" white to reflect their higher status.

If someone was to argue that Romans ought to be clad mainly in off-white clothing for historical accuracy, I wouldn't argue against him or her on that account. But that option would also turn most shields white, and I'm not sure that would also be historically correct. In any case, I'm pretty sure it would make the Romans look less interesting. So I think I'll stick to my current idea to use two different hues of red and one hue of white for the main theme. Could of course make that white appear more "off-white" in future releases, if the community wants to see the continuation of this project.

As for other colours than white, red, blue, and black being regarded as feminine, the source I gave a link for doesn't seem to have any reservations worth mentioning, and I'd think it would be depend on the exact hue and manner it was worn. Green comes in many shades associated with war, for example, although I don't know about the green hues that the Romans were able to produce.

What's your own take on the info you provided, Dude? What changes would you want to see in ACR2, if any?

Edit: Just for fun, an image of the new Ptolemaic Egyptian Infantry entering an enemy village...
    Last edited by Demokritos; January 02, 2014 at 10:23 AM.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Updated to New Year Edition with a Prologue Special

It has several logical arguments and there's nothing I've found that would prove it wrong. As far as I see, green was probably used by auxiliaries and possibly occasionally by legionaries but not at the height of Imperial Rome. I'll accept the theories on the other colours and especially because we only have 3 colours slots, I'd stick to reds/whites/blues. I was considering using blue for Romans but now it looks like copying.

On the plus side, I've completely restarted my recolouring mod which wasn't working at all. I've only got the mainland Celts, Africans and Arabians left to do before release.

I know you're more bothered about historical accuracy than me so I wouldn't comment on what you should change but I'm interested in what factions you found hardest to colour. It took me longest by far for Parthia and Pontus and the Iberian factions took me longer than other minors in general. If you really want some criticism then get a picture of Sarissa Cavalry for Macedon or one in sun for Nervii so people can clearly see the difference.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Updated to New Year Edition with a Prologue Special

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    It has several logical arguments and there's nothing I've found that would prove it wrong. As far as I see, green was probably used by auxiliaries and possibly occasionally by legionaries but not at the height of Imperial Rome. I'll accept the theories on the other colours and especially because we only have 3 colours slots, I'd stick to reds/whites/blues. I was considering using blue for Romans but now it looks like copying.

On the plus side, I've completely restarted my recolouring mod which wasn't working at all. I've only got the mainland Celts, Africans and Arabians left to do before release.

I know you're more bothered about historical accuracy than me so I wouldn't comment on what you should change but I'm interested in what factions you found hardest to colour. It took me longest by far for Parthia and Pontus and the Iberian factions took me longer than other minors in general. If you really want some criticism then get a picture of Sarissa Cavalry for Macedon or one in sun for Nervii so people can clearly see the difference.
    Yes, green appears to have been used pretty often by Roman auxiliaries. Off-white seems to be the other common colour for them.

Haven't modded that many cultures yet, but so far the Romans have been the most difficult to do, and I suspect that will stand when I've covered the lot. This is because the variance in shading applied to the Roman units which makes it impossible to find one theme looking good on all of them. Once I abandoned the idea of one theme for the Romans I had easier finding decent solutions, although I'm not fully satisfied yet. Among the other and more normal factions shading-wise I think I must agree on the Parthians because of the blue they should have according to my sources. Blue, especially in light hues, has a way of easily looking bad in the settings of this game. Good blues for primary colour (dominating the unit) are hard to find.

The Macedonian Sarissa Cavalry and the Nervii on a sunny day are not looking that good in ACR2? I have difficult testing the latter because I don't own the CIG DLC and can only reach them by attacking them in a campaign for a neighbouring people. And the Sarissa Cavalry doesn't look that different from the Companion Cavalry or most other Macedonian units sharing their theme.

Here's a shot of the Sarissa Cavalry I dug up from when I still had full colour diversity in the game. You can spot a couple of riders in black and pale yellow tunics in the unit...
    What should people compare it with?

Few colour themes look good in the strong sunlight of this game, especially in open (non-desert) terrain where everything tends to bathe in orangy or yellowish light not looking that natural. I've given up on finding themes that will appear pleasing in all settings of the game. I suspect the secondary colour (brownish yellow) in particular for the Nervii could look bad in strong sunlight. But in other settings, like the one shown in the OP, I find it looking satisfactory.
    Last edited by Demokritos; January 03, 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Is there any chance of getting a version of this mod without the blue legionary cohort? It's just a personal taste thing.
    Great work by the way!

Hi Demokritos,

I see you can't help yourself modding the entire game units once again
    Your work looks truly amazing, i have one (stupid) question :
    Is your mod compatible with mods like DeI including re texturing ?
    Is it similar to Ancient colors mod ?

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !