Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2

thanks will look into another competition if i like i didnt think i won it.. i think noif did.. lucky

mods i used upto date now is
    some of Noif HQ texturesAncient colours
    kaziel romans plus pdguru romans together ( made alot of conflicts but worked well) but using kaziel now till i get shields from both of them worked and blending with your ACC mod too.
    random radious units verisons and AUM
    radious total war
    special effects
    and noif emblems OH and ofcourse GEM ( wasnt used in this picture) but now i got it and i want it to work with steam but it doesnt ) so more photos from my own settings in GEM soon.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    I can't remember the source, but I've red somewhere that as there is no proof of Roman legionaries wearing red tunics, or even that their tunics were uniformly died, there are some things historians are quite sure about, and that is that black was associated with death (not very surprising) white was a color considered fancy, off white was standard "color" good for commoners (soldiers and civilians), red was color of the gods, especially Mars, and blue was associated with sea, therefore was used by marines. Other colors were considered "feminine".
    That's just a thought, something I remembered.
    "No proof of Roman legionaries wearing red tunics"? I find that very hard to believe, with all that material surviving from the Roman era, modern chemical methods to determine the original colour of old garments etc.

Check these links, for example...

Colours of Roman clothing

Roman soldiers clothing - especially the bit about colours.

Don't know where that site got its info from, but it appears pretty well informed.

That blue was used by the Roman marines could very well be correct, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of (other hues of) blue being used by other types of troops. It appears quite often used by cavalry, for example.

Anyway, you should count yourself fortunate if you can find a satisfactory uniform colour mod instead having to make one yourself. Because this type of work is really difficult, time-consuming, and frustrating at times, due to the shading and lighting conditions used by the game. Take the following as example.

On a day in a light forest somewhere, this Roman Eagle Cohort looks perfectly alright. Almost ready to tick it off as "finished"..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    But out in the open somewhere else, it can suddenly turn over-saturated...

Note that these screenies are jpg:s - the change in appearance is even worse in game. The latter setting prompts me to find a considerably lighter shade of red - but this would make it appear too faded in the former setting. Further tweaking needed. More time required for this project. "Sigh" (for the umpteenth time)...

Some hues regardless of cloth texture seem more sensitive for the lighting conditions than others. Light blue, for example, often looks unnatural on sunny days in this game. In test after test, little comes out good in most settings of the game.

Anyways, saw your latest unit card project, BullGod, and was impressed. Really nice work there, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    thanks will look into another competition if i like i didnt think i won it.. i think noif did.. lucky

mods i used upto date now is
    some of Noif HQ texturesAncient colours
    kaziel romans plus pdguru romans together ( made alot of conflicts but worked well) but using kaziel now till i get shields from both of them worked and blending with your ACC mod too.
    random radious units verisons and AUM
    radious total war
    special effects
    and noif emblems OH and ofcourse GEM ( wasnt used in this picture) but now i got it and i want it to work with steam but it doesnt ) so more photos from my own settings in GEM soon.
    That's a fair amount of mods! Hope ACR2 will work with them. But Noif's "Ancient Colours" sounds directly incompatible.

Edit -Just discovered another problem. After patch 7 beta (it seems), many units that used to get three different colours on main part of the tunics now get just two, sometimes only one. Example with the Parthian Elite Persian Archers (never mind the officers in the second screenie, as they were modded differently from those in the first for testing purposes)...

Before - three colours on main part of the tunics:
    After - one colour on main part of the tunics (in one of those colour-intensifying lighting condition days; but grey tertiary also modded darker in test):
    The game has turned far less interesting for me now. Much of my work to create good colour combinations has been in vain. Not good for my motivation to go all the way with this project...
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Edit -Just discovered another problem. After patch 7 beta (it seems), many units that used to get three different colours on main part of the tunics now get just two, sometimes only one. Example with the Parthian Elite Persian Archers (never mind the officers in the second screenie, as they were modded differently from those in the first for testing purposes)...

Before - three colours on main part of the tunics:
    After - one colour on main part of the tunics (in one of those colour-intensifying lighting condition days; but grey tertiary also modded darker in test):
    The game has turned far less interesting for me now. Much of my work to create good colour combinations has been in vain. Not good for my motivation to go all the way with this project...

How peculiar that CA added this in. Perhaps this was done as an attempt to make the elite units look more uniform? Which units were affected?

Perhaps someone knows of a possible way of modding that feature out.

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Isn't this the result of the superficial performance "optimization" they've implemented in beta 7 (i.e. scaling back unit variety at anything but the extreme setting)?

I'm off the Rome sauce for now, but that's a common complaint that I've read. I hope that the original full level of detail is preserved at at least the top setting, or this game is on it's way to getting a whole lot less appealing than it already is. edit: In fairness though, this is still beta... it could be unintended.

Was that last screen taken at 'very high' or 'ultra' perhaps?

edit (again): This would seem to be the issue, if you haven't already accounted for it... http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...mance-increase
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; November 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Isn't this the result of the superficial performance "optimization" they've implemented in beta 7 (i.e. scaling back unit variety at anything but the extreme setting)?

I'm off the Rome sauce for now, but that's a common complaint that I've read. I hope that the original full level of detail is preserved at at least the top setting, or this game is on it's way to getting a whole lot less appealing than it already is. edit: In fairness though, this is still beta... it could be unintended.

Was that last screen taken at 'very high' or 'ultra' perhaps?

edit (again): This would seem to be the issue, if you haven't already accounted for it... http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...mance-increase
    Thanks for the feedback, KP. That might be the cause of it, but I'm not sure. All my screenies are taken with graphics settings at "extreme". The reduction in colour variety is a potential game destroyer for me, but I fixed it, temporarily, by leaving the participation of the patch 7 beta and then letting Steam verifying the game cache. Then and only then (not by removing the patch 7 beta alone) all colours returned on the units.

But now I don't dare to update the game anymore. Not until most players using the patch 7 and subsequent updates get back with reports saying "No problem". Even backed up the pre-patch 7 figuration of the game, just in case.

So, careful with the next official update, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemianRomantic View Post
    How peculiar that CA added this in. Perhaps this was done as an attempt to make the elite units look more uniform? Which units were affected?

Perhaps someone knows of a possible way of modding that feature out.
    The great majority of units that used to get three colours on the main part of the uniform seems to be affected by whatever happened to the game files a few days back, about the time when I joined the patch 7 beta testing (don't remember the exact date when I downloaded the patch, but all my screenies after 14 November suddenly show the units impoverished in colour variety, and all I did around that date was enabling the patch). It meant one or two thirds of the merit of ACR2 went down the drain.

If it had stayed that way, I'm not sure I'd have bothered to go on to a "Regular Edition" or even play Rome 2 anymore. But as long as all colours remain in place, it's still fun to see the result of this type of modding.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

You played on extreme? That's peculiar, apparently that is the setting required to achieve full variance after the patch.

Scratch that, apparently you need unit detail on ultra now to get full variance.

Scratch that, apparently you need unit detail on ultra now to get full variance.
    Yes, I always play on "extreme" quality with my new rig. If this is required for full colour variance after the upcoming patch, then the beta doesn't work as it supposed to. Where did you get the info about what's required for full variance from now on?

It's explained in the link provided by Kurisu Paifuaa. Perhaps you should comment on that thread.

Taking a closer look at your screens, Demokritos, and comparing to the vanilla assets for persian_tunic_x, the 2nd screen is only showing the first of 3 possible variants (persian_tunic_01). Notice that every man has the vertical stripe arm pattern. There are actually only 2 colors defined in the color mask for any of the persian tunic parts (some other cultures have 3 or occasionally some blending)... the additional colors in the first screen would be due to all 3 variants of tunic being present (each alternating where r and g values are applied). So at least in this case, the problem is missing variant parts and not some awful gimping of color application. If we still saw all 3 variants present, but with like colors, I'd be more worried.

The question I have is why there's only one tunic variant, but apparently all possible leg and helmet variations, despite your max detail setting. I'd look at the patch7 vanilla persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition and compare it to the previous version for starters. Also, does this occur with other culture's variant parts (tunics or otherwise)? The consensus from the thread I linked seemed to be that you could still get maximum variation, but they had gimped it at lower settings. And your example only has 3 variations, so I think something else (more specific) is wrong there.

I only have the assets I extracted a few weeks ago before uninstalling, so I can't check against the beta patch atm. Damnit, it's dragging me back in

edit: Oops, I was wrong to imply that the rgb values don't get rotated for the same variant texture. That's clearly the case in your first screenshot. What you should get for that model part (unmodified) is 3 color sets (composed of 2 colors) for each of the 3 variants.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; November 20, 2013 at 03:46 AM.

It's explained in the link provided by Kurisu Paifuaa. Perhaps you should comment on that thread.
    I checked that link and somehow I thought "unit variance" only concerned faces, helmets and such. But understood generally, it must of course include uniform colours, too. That's really bad, since it all worked fine for me before, but after patch 7, I cannot get full variance, despite highest possible graphical settings. I submitted a couple of posts on that issue on that site.

Taking a closer look at your screens, Demokritos, and comparing to the vanilla assets for persian_tunic_x, the 2nd screen is only showing the first of 3 possible variants (persian_tunic_01). Notice that every man has the vertical stripe arm pattern. There are actually only 2 colors defined in the color mask for any of the persian tunic parts (some other cultures have 3 or occasionally some blending)... the additional colors in the first screen would be due to all 3 variants of tunic being present (each alternating where r and g values are applied). So at least in this case, the problem is missing variant parts and not some awful gimping of color application. If we still saw all 3 variants present, but with like colors, I'd be more worried.

The question I have is why there's only one tunic variant, but apparently all possible leg and helmet variations, despite your max detail setting. I'd look at the patch7 vanilla persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition and compare it to the previous version for starters. Also, does this occur with other culture's variant parts (tunics or otherwise)? The consensus from the thread I linked seemed to be that you could still get maximum variation, but they had gimped it at lower settings. And your example only has 3 variations, so I think something else (more specific) is wrong there.

I only have the assets I extracted a few weeks ago before uninstalling, so I can't check against the beta patch atm. Damnit, it's dragging me back in

edit: Oops, I was wrong to imply that the rgb values don't get rotated for the same variant texture. That's clearly the case in your first screenshot. What you should get for that model part (unmodified) is 3 color sets (composed of 2 colors) for each of the 3 variants.
    As far as I can tell from earlier screenies of the Elite Persian Archers in Parthian sold all three possible colours - the primary, secondary, and tertiary - were applied on all parts of the uniform on different soldiers of the unit as a whole.

I'm afraid I have another example now...

Persian light archers in Parthian sold before patch 7...
    The very same (untouched) unit after automatic install of patch 7 despite automatic updates for Rome 2 being "disabled" on Steam...
    Beautiful theme turned boring...

While testing patch 7 beta, I checked half a dozen units for Athens, Sparta, Epirus and Carthage, and found the same pattern for all of them. Only the Militia Hoplites and Libyan Hoplites retained the full colour variance on the main part of the uniform, the rest had been reduced to two or one colour appearance here. This is particulary unfortunate because I have often used a given colour from the main factional theme as the one common colour in units diverging from the main theme, but in different places, depending on type of unit. So if that colour was primary in the main theme, for example, but moved to tertiary on unit with new colours in the other two positions, than that common colour is the one which disappears for that unit after patch 7, which means the clear colour association to its specific faction also disappears. Without having checked these factions again after having patch 7 involuntarily installed on my copy of the game I assume it looks like this in all factions now.

Means I'm partly blind as to the result of my modding when full unit variance is attained. And the part which I can see with restricted unit variance is definitely less interesting. I will not keep on modding for Rome 2 under such circumstances.

So all development of ACR2 after the Light Edition is hereby put on hold until this issue is resolved.

LE will also be less comprehensive than planned, as it's little point trying to recolour the remaining units which used to get three colours on the main part of the uniform for me. These will now have to depend on the main factional theme (set before) alone.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 21, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Sorry to see that happen for you, my Demo friend. I hope CA can fix this asap.

I believe this can be addressed by rearranging the parts definitions, splitting them into multiple files and updating the references in the unit definitions. Others are using this method as a workaround for unit mods which exceed this new limitation on references per slot (seems to be 5 entries). This mod is much wider in scale obviously, and would require a substantial amount of work to vanilla definition files (more tedious than difficult), so it might be wise to see what comes up in the next beta patch. I should be able to test this over the upcoming holiday, give some feedback and upload some fixed definitions to inspect.

Briefly, you'd take something like this 18 variant_mesh parts list for persian tunics and separate it.

persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition

Code:
    <VARIANT_MESH>
        <SLOT name="tunics" >
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask1="2"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_01_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_02_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/persian_trousers_03_cut2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
        </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

If you scroll down to the 3rd and 4th tunic variant_mesh entries, at the end of those lines I've highlighted the mask switches. Those take the values from the faction rgb sets and swap their placement on the color map. If the mask switch doesn't appear for a model entry, it utilizes the default scheme (mask0=0, mask1=1, mask2=2). Since this giant list is being effectively truncated after the 5th entry, we're not getting to see any variants where the primary color (mask0) is alternated. Thus, the sea of orange in your screenshots for Persian Archers (along with scant model/texture variation).

To get around that, we'd split the parts definitions into multiple files of no more than 5 VARIANT_MESH model definitions. With this particular file, the tunic entries also have 6 slots each for trousers, so you'd either have to sacrifice one of them or perhaps come up with a more clever arrangement. Also, the method the game uses to determine the frequency with which a particular combination will appear involves the use of duplicate entries, so here too we'd need to give some thought as to how to split these definitions to achieve an acceptable result.

In any case, the other step would be to fix the references in the individual unit defintions to point correctly at the new data structure. Fortunately, there's even more wiggle room to be gained there at the higher level by replacing single 'top level' unit definitions with multiples. With a limit of 5 references per slot, I believe you could still get on the order of 125 variants per unit (say 5 basic variants containg references to 5 parts definition files per model part, each of 5 model definitions). That's obviously way more than necessary and also untested

As I said, that's not a trivial task, so let's see if the developers don't actually start doing something similar themselves (or otherwise increase the reference cap at higher settings). However, at least we appear to have options should this turn out to be a blind crusade to enforce some sort of memory budget. I really doubt they'd butcher their efforts in such a way, but then I think of how the FotS patch demolished the lighting in the base Shogun game for a lengthy period

credit to posters in this thread for discussing the problem and potential solution
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; November 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Sorry to see that happen for you, my Demo friend. I hope CA can fix this asap.
    Yes, it's got me pretty sour.

You have no problem like this after patch 7?

I believe this can be addressed by rearranging the parts definitions, splitting them into multiple files and updating the references in the unit definitions. Others are using this method as a workaround for unit mods which exceed this new limitation on references per slot (seems to be 5 entries). This mod is much wider in scale obviously, and would require a substantial amount of work to vanilla definition files (more tedious than difficult), so it might be wise to see what comes up in the next beta patch. I should be able to test this over the upcoming holiday, give some feedback and upload some fixed definitions to inspect.

Briefly, you'd take something like this 18 variant_mesh parts list for persian tunics and separate it.

persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition

Code:
    <VARIANT_MESH>
        <SLOT name="tunics" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="1"  mask1="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_02.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask1="0"  mask2="1" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/persian_tunic_03.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/tunics/celtic_basic_tunic_01.rigid_model_v2"  mask0="2"  mask2="0" >
                <SLOT name="armour" />
                <SLOT name="trousers" >
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="cloaks" />
            </VARIANT_MESH>
        </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

If you scroll down to the 3rd and 4th tunic variant_mesh entries, at the end of those lines I've highlighted the mask switches. Those take the values from the faction rgb sets and swap their placement on the color map. If the mask switch doesn't appear for a model entry, it utilizes the default scheme (mask0=0, mask1=1, mask2=2). Since this giant list is being effectively truncated after the 5th entry, we're not getting to see any variants where the primary color (mask0) is alternated. Thus, the sea of orange in your screenshots for Persian Archers (along with scant model/texture variation).

To get around that, we'd split the parts definitions into multiple files of no more than 5 VARIANT_MESH model definitions. With this particular file, the tunic entries also have 6 slots each for trousers, so you'd either have to sacrifice one of them or perhaps come up with a more clever arrangement. Also, the method the game uses to determine the frequency with which a particular combination will appear involves the use of duplicate entries, so here too we'd need to give some thought as to how to split these definitions to achieve an acceptable result.

In any case, the other step would be to fix the references in the individual unit defintions to point correctly at the new data structure. Fortunately, there's even more wiggle room to be gained there at the higher level by replacing single 'top level' unit definitions with multiples. With a limit of 5 references per slot, I believe you could still get on the order of 125 variants per unit (say 5 basic variants containg references to 5 parts definition files per model part, each of 5 model definitions). That's obviously way more than necessary and also untested

As I said, that's not a trivial task, so let's see if the developers don't actually start doing something similar themselves (or otherwise increase the reference cap at higher settings). However, at least we appear to have options should this turn out to be a blind crusade to enforce some sort of memory budget. I really doubt they'd butcher their efforts in such a way, but then I think of how the FotS patch demolished the lighting in the base Shogun game for a lengthy period

credit to posters in this thread for discussing the problem and potential solution
    The solution does seem to demand a horse load of work. All the more deterrent since CA could try to change something minor in the relevant files in the next patch in a manner forcing a modder to re-do the work. Think I would consider this option only if the problem persists in the final "Gold Edition" of Rome 2.

But at least it is a solution. Good. I really appreciate the help in this matter, KP.

Alright, in case you guys have been wondering, here's the final preview of the promised Light Edition. The Romans will have their share of variety. Two examples. The Legionary Cohort has been finalized to appear like this...

I'm afraid patch 7 really messes things up. I suspect the Praetorian Cavalry is one the units most badly affected, because it gets one colour only - one colour only for uniform, shield and any editable detail! I hoped the secondary or tertiary at least would have given us a contrasting colour for some of the shields. But no. Most boring pattern possible. I still chose to give them white tunics etc, as this appear most true to history. The Praetorian Guard, on the other hand, seem to be free of new colour restrictions. If you want a spoiler for it, you can check it out here...

Are you sure?
    On this unit, any colour used in primary or tertiary position will be applied both on tunics and shield, so I found this theme best for the time being.

The new Parthians are coming along fine. In fact, better than before, I think. So if you like them, you should thank xeofox for putting me on this new road for them. This faction has come out quite colourful as a whole. Three examples...

Spearmen...

Slingers...

Noble Blood Cavalry...

Shouldn't be too long before release now. Two weeks at most. Provided nothing new comes interfering...
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 27, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

these pretorians and the White shield of the officer are Amazing...really, so many good reskin for Roma, yours, Kaziel, Little Legionary. Hope that your works will be asked in making historical legions of Rome soon!

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

Yes, it's got me pretty sour...Shouldn't be too long before release now. Two weeks at most. Provided nothing new comes interfering...
    Patch7 did, indeed, cause a downgrade in graphics but it was described as optimization.
    Previous settings are now acting as one lower setting. To maintain your 1.6 visuals, you must increase settings. This results in an overall performance decrease.

Example: Unit Detail setting on Very High no longer has variety in tunics and shields. The troops become clones. In order to regain the original look and variety of Very High, the Unit Detail setting must be increased to Ultra. If one does this across the board for each setting (just to maintain the graphics present in 1.6), one can see the resulting performance hit.
    This is performance degradation, not optimization.

Your work on this project is commendable and I'd like to encourage you to press on.
    Even though disabled, + Rep and I look forward to enjoying your efforts.
    Last edited by Nefarious; November 26, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

Great work as usual... low key, plausible color sets with an eye to historic sources

If you're up for it, try this "quick n dirty" fix for unit variety. It will only affect units wearing Persian tunics (like the Elite Persian archers in your earlier screenshot). All I've done is change some of the first 5 entries so that more than one model and some color variation is above the apparent cutoff.

If it works, it would be easier to implement until we see what direction CA goes. You could just quickly add color mask switches and change a couple of model part #s at the top of each definition for whatever unit you're working on (to see better how things look with at least a little variety).
    Attached Files Attached Files

The new Parthians are coming along fine. In fact, better than before, I think. So if you like them, you should thank xeofox for putting me on this new road for them. This faction has come out quite colourful as a whole. Three examples...

Spearmen...

Slingers...

Noble Blood Cavalry...

Shouldn't be too long before release now. Two weeks at most. Provided nothing new comes interfering...
    Really pleased to see there's some progress to report on the Parthians. Loving the look of the noble blood cavalry, although have you considered that the Eastern Spearmen and Slingers might be a bit too grey? Then again it could just be the lighting; how do they look in a desert?

Very keen to see the cataphracts and horse archers, and very keen for the release of the light edition. Keep up the excellent work.

Laetus

This mod looks great! I'm especially excited to see what you come with for special units from the Barbarian factions.

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    these pretorians and the White shield of the officer are Amazing...really, so many good reskin for Roma, yours, Kaziel, Little Legionary. Hope that your works will be asked in making historical legions of Rome soon!
    Glad you like what you see of the Romans in my Alternative, Drama. Yes, the competition is pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    Patch7 did, indeed, cause a downgrade in graphics but it was described as optimization.
    Previous settings are now acting as one lower setting. To maintain your 1.6 visuals, you must increase settings. This results in an overall performance decrease.

Example: Unit Detail setting on Very High no longer has variety in tunics and shields. The troops become clones. In order to regain the original look and variety of Very High, the Unit Detail setting must be increased to Ultra. If one does this across the board for each setting (just to maintain the graphics present in 1.6), one can see the resulting performance hit.
    This is performance degradation, not optimization.

Your work on this project is commendable and I'd like to encourage you to press on.
    Even though disabled, + Rep and I look forward to enjoying your efforts.
    Thank you for your support, Nefarious. Feedback like that does make modding work a little easier.

The strange thing about patch 7 is that, even though "extreme" settings are supposed to guarantee full unit diversity in colours etc, they don't on my comp. And yet it ran the game without trouble with full unit diversity before. So CA just disabled my comp's capacity to show Rome 2 in its full glory for no good reason on my account. Makes me wanna throw the game away.

So, after the first, cut-back edition of ACR2, I'm afraid I will give it a rest. Indefinitely - depending on future patches and what my co-modders can do.

However, with the future of ACR2 being uncertain, I'm considering adding a handful of minor factions to the first package. Just a few I already have clear ideas for. Even if it may delay the release a little further.

Great work as usual... low key, plausible color sets with an eye to historic sources

If you're up for it, try this "quick n dirty" fix for unit variety. It will only affect units wearing Persian tunics (like the Elite Persian archers in your earlier screenshot). All I've done is change some of the first 5 entries so that more than one model and some color variation is above the apparent cutoff.

If it works, it would be easier to implement until we see what direction CA goes. You could just quickly add color mask switches and change a couple of model part #s at the top of each definition for whatever unit you're working on (to see better how things look with at least a little variety).
    Very interested in help of this sort, my friend. Thank you for the effort.

Unfortunately, I did not get it to work on the Persian tunics, at least not the ones in the Parthian army which I checked. It worked on your comp? Don't know what's wrong with mine.

Really pleased to see there's some progress to report on the Parthians. Loving the look of the noble blood cavalry, although have you considered that the Eastern Spearmen and Slingers might be a bit too grey? Then again it could just be the lighting; how do they look in a desert?

Very keen to see the cataphracts and horse archers, and very keen for the release of the light edition. Keep up the excellent work.
    Thanks for your feedback, BR.

All colours used are fetched from my sources, which include the book The Timeline of World Costume by Claudia Műller. On the Parthians depicted there, you can see a greenish light grey tunic and sandy-coloured cap and pants, for example. Colours also seen on other sources.

But it's really difficult to pick the most suitable ones out of the many options. The Parthians seem to have been a colourful bunch, often wearing light shades. The problem with blue as primary is that it often comes out too strong in the lighting conditions of this game. So I tend to use it for secondary or tertiary instead.

There's not much to show for modding the cataphracts, like I said before. But the primary colour in the new factional theme does look a little nicer on horse blankets and horse armor details than the earlier theme did.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionOfShame View Post
    This mod looks great! I'm especially excited to see what you come with for special units from the Barbarian factions.
    I planned to give the barbarian factions full treatment in the Regular Edition of ACR2. That was when I could see full colour diversity on the units. After patch 7, I'm partly blind in this respect, so only the Light Edition may come to fruitition. In the latter version, I'm afraid only the Iceni among the barbarians get some special units, and not as many as most other factions that got any. But you'll get a few mercenary units from barbarian sides, too.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 28, 2013 at 07:49 AM.