Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2

Very nice curious to see what you do with Parthia as it has the worst vanilla colors in my opinion. There are entire blogs dedicated to hatred of purple and teal.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    Very nice curious to see what you do with Parthia as it has the worst vanilla colors in my opinion. There are entire blogs dedicated to hatred of purple and teal.
    Currently trying to do something Parthian from the following sources...

The Parthians seemed to have worn clothes in many diiferent colours, but these two sources are the only ones I've found so far where one theme reappears, and, in the first illustration, which depicts the Battle of Carrhae, several riders actually look quite similar. So I'm guessing those colours could have been fairly common among the Parthians.

But I'll be using the options in special units to introduce more colours. That goes for all factions.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

You always seem to find such awesome sources surprised you can find any sources at all!
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

hey, look very nice! which file do you edit and where can I find it? (to change faction colours)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    You always seem to find such awesome sources surprised you can find any sources at all!
    Don't like my Alternative to be a total guess or fantasy of how the factions appeared in history. So, for a reasonable period of time, I keep looking for sources until I find something useful. It's a big part of the work behind the mod. Was fortunate to find several sources for the Parthians.

That's not always a good thing, however, as it might create a difficult choice what to go for, the game being limited as to how many colours can be changed and displayed.

Once the principal colour theme is set for testing, the actual hues and shades in relation to each other need to be established. The distribution of the colours on the source(s) is not always reflected in the colour patterns of the game, which means that a different use of those colours might be necessary to make the whole look good. Here's one interpretation of the colours from the Parthian sources...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The orangy yellow is pretty good, but the greyish colour needs to darkened a bit for a nicer contrast, and the whitish colour should perhaps be of a different hue. And then we have the matter of which colours should be dominating: the whitish (as in this case), the greyish, or the orangy yellow? The dilemma of the artist...

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
    hey, look very nice! which file do you edit and where can I find it? (to change faction colours)
    Thank you.

The uniform colours are set in the "faction_uniform_colours" and "unit_variants_colours" tables which you find in the db section of the "data_rome2" pack inside the data folder of the game. Use the PFM to open that pack, locate and extract said db files, and then add them to a mod you create with the PFM before editing those tables.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

hi dude, in my opinion, if you make the legionarie's uniform become white, i think that will be better, because in the movie or some books, they also dress white uniform, that looks better and cool, red is like a.....you know.....

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice Ptolemies and Avernes. I like the Athenians and Carthage too, but haven't seen them enough in game to be sure of the comparison. And this blue for Pontus is well found !
    I don't know why but I think the Epirots will be difficult to improve. It's a fantastic faction to play but their colors have always been a problem : green and orange... it's almost as ugly as yellow and purple...
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Kymmuriel's Avatar Civis

WAA WA WHAT! aaah seems really good, im really waiting for this, and i think your skin pack will be the one that will make me play the rome faction, as NONE skinpack yet has damn putted realistic skin for the rebuplic army, i just dont want to play it, especially after plaing for 2 years Roma Surrectum i cant go down with it like this lol, my hope are rising with you! keep going and dont worry theres a lot who wait for ure skinpack so im just giving you some strengh while its still WIP so u dont loose heart on the big task your doing.

Thanks for popping in to say what you think, guys. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cxtbbb View Post
    hi dude, in my opinion, if you make the legionarie's uniform become white, i think that will be better, because in the movie or some books, they also dress white uniform, that looks better and cool, red is like a.....you know.....
    I've just begun testing new colours for the Romans. White is among them. Definitely a variety for Republican armies. Will see about the legionaries. Perhaps in some special unit or other, like cavalry or auxiliary troops...

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    Nice Ptolemies and Avernes. I like the Athenians and Carthage too, but haven't seen them enough in game to be sure of the comparison. And this blue for Pontus is well found !
    I find that blue shade pretty suitable for the Pontics, too. May need to tune it down a little, though.

As for the Athenians, here's a couple of shots demonstrating something of the planned variety for his faction...

Light peltasts with the factional theme in different colour order (green made more dominant). Add to that a small peek of...

One of the general's units with a completely new colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    I don't know why but I think the Epirots will be difficult to improve. It's a fantastic faction to play but their colors have always been a problem : green and orange... it's almost as ugly as yellow and purple...
    Well, I think I've given up on the idea of combining orange with red or brown for the time being. In my testing so far, these options turn the Epirote less interesting, IMO. Red for primary colour is a no-go for me, as there are already so many other playable factions with some shade of red as primary colour in line with history (the Romans, Spartans, Macedonians, and Ptolemaics).

Green combined with an orangy colour can sometimes be quite beautiful. Check this out...

Epirote citizen cavalry with a little darkened shade of my first green, and a different hue of orange. May have to tweak the latter some more. But the green is good. Even beautiful. Together with that orange. Don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kymmuriel View Post
    WAA WA WHAT! aaah seems really good, im really waiting for this, and i think your skin pack will be the one that will make me play the rome faction, as NONE skinpack yet has damn putted realistic skin for the rebuplic army, i just dont want to play it, especially after plaing for 2 years Roma Surrectum i cant go down with it like this lol, my hope are rising with you! keep going and dont worry theres a lot who wait for ure skinpack so im just giving you some strengh while its still WIP so u dont loose heart on the big task your doing.
    Glad to hear you're interested in this mod, Kymmuriel. And thanks again for the moral support.

Yeah, the Romans deserve at least an attempt for betterment. CA's version is not bad, but...

Biggest challenge will be to nail the main red shade fitting the Romans. Thinking of using one for the pre-Marian reforms army, another for the legionaries. We'll see how I fare on this score.

BTW, new content in OP. More of the following...

Parthian camel archers in the dusty desert...
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 10, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

here one photo just normal vanilla athen solider at the moment, just something to give you a wow on the go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-10-10_00001.jpg  

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Thank you.

The uniform colours are set in the "faction_uniform_colours" and "unit_variants_colours" tables which you find in the db section of the "data_rome2" pack inside the data folder of the game. Use the PFM to open that pack, locate and extract said db files, and then add them to a mod you create with the PFM before editing those tables.
    Thank you! but is this whats suppose to be in those textfiles; rom_scordisci¶ À © î á f @ 6 rom_scythiaï Ï , all of it is like that and it doesnt tel me that much I think your mod is more tha good enough, I just want to play a bit with the color schemes
    Last edited by Aguirre; October 11, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

This is some high quality stuff right here mate. I am fan of your work from shogun 2. Anticipating this release.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    here one photo just normal vanilla athen solider at the moment, just something to give you a wow on the go
    You haven't lost your touch! Just the kind of novel angle I expected from you. Even CA would have been proud to advertise their game with that one. Thanks for the pep pic, my friend.

Can't wait to see what you can do when the Athenian units start to look like...

Athens is bound to be my first faction fully covered with recolour work, including over a dozen units that depart from the main factional colour order in one way or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
    Thank you! but is this whats suppose to be in those textfiles; rom_scordisci¶ À © î á f @ 6 rom_scythiaï Ï , all of it is like that and it doesnt tel me that much I think your mod is more tha good enough, I just want to play a bit with the color schemes
    Don't know about the "¶ À © î á f @ 6" bit, wherever that came from, but "rom_scordisci", "rom_scythia" etc signify available factions in the game. All entries that starts with "pro_" are factions which you can meet in the special prologue for the game. All others, which starts with "rom_", are the ones you can find in all other parts of the game, i.e. proper campaign, custom battles, and historical battles. So if you want to change the colours for Rome in single player campaign, for example, go look for the entry named "rom_rome" and modify the RGB values given in the columns for that row.

If you want to tamper with the unit_variants_colours table, too, however, don't forget that the colours are given in the reverse order there. The normal sequence is (three columns each for the spectra of) red, green and blue, but in that other file, the sequence is blue, green, and red.

Quote Originally Posted by amelius View Post
    This is some high quality stuff right here mate. I am fan of your work from shogun 2. Anticipating this release.
    Nice to hear that. Means my artistic effort for ACC struck home somewhere. Thanks for letting me know, amelius.
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 12, 2013 at 01:55 AM.

Kymmuriel's Avatar Civis

Hey Demokritos, each time i see some pics i get hyped, do you have some more for us leechers ? So we can wait, im pretty sure when youll get those republican units in their right colors (no mroe redish all the way out) everyone will run unto your skin pack, and im jsut speaking of the romans.
    MM for the greeks i think you should had the maximum of helmets and armors possible, as no one had standardized equipment execpt few units.
    Well its jsut my tough, may the force be with you, dont loose heart and makes marvels!

Quote Originally Posted by Kymmuriel View Post
    Hey Demokritos, each time i see some pics i get hyped, do you have some more for us leechers ? So we can wait, im pretty sure when youll get those republican units in their right colors (no mroe redish all the way out) everyone will run unto your skin pack, and im jsut speaking of the romans.
    MM for the greeks i think you should had the maximum of helmets and armors possible, as no one had standardized equipment execpt few units.
    Well its jsut my tough, may the force be with you, dont loose heart and makes marvels!
    What exactly do you mean with the Romans being "reddish all the way out" in vanilla? Meaning too many soldiers per unit being red or the colour intensity being too strong? The former is a bit problematic, as you can understand from my notes about this faction in the OP. The latter, however, I can remedy as far as clothing is concerned. Shields take on a severe shading, so we may have to live with that. At least if not retexturing them separately, which is a whole different matter.

Regarding helmets etc, my mod does not cover the equipment. I can offer such a mod later, when the factional colours are set more permanently, but I'd like to keep the options open here, so that people can combine other equipment mods with my colour tweaks. Seems to be a few already available. Don't know about their current compatibility with ACR2, though.

Want more pics, you say? Seen the updates for the Arverni in the OP and the Epirotes in "special units" (post #3)? Not enough?

Alright, I guess I can dig some more dev screenies up. The colours for Athenian roster are pretty much set now (have yet to update the list in post #3 about that). Examples...

Athenian Tarantine Cavalry in action...

Athenian Polybolos preparing for a shot...

Athenian Thorax Hoplites in trouble...

You'll like the Epirote Royal Guard, I'm sure. But I must keep some secrets for release...

For the last extra preview here, however, I'll make one exception to reveal another. The full impression of (the updated)...

Arverni Spear Nobles...
    Imagine being up against those. People have begun to hear the roar of lions in the forests of Gaul lately. Maybe it's better to run away...

Note regarding those nobles that this is how they'd appear in regular ACR2 Arverni colours, with nothing "special" added to them or their chieftain, which I normally would like to introduce for a general's unit.

Note also regarding other units seen in these screenies that dev is not finished for all of them.
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Very nice initiative! I love to see more factions have their colours toned-down a few notches at least, good work! Looks much more authentic.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Arveni spear nobles look gorgeous with beautiful colors!

Quote Originally Posted by Ftmch View Post
    Very nice initiative! I love to see more factions have their colours toned-down a few notches at least, good work! Looks much more authentic.
    Heyyy, Fmtch! Nice to hear from you, a real colour-modding colleague. Long time, no see. Glad to hear you approve of my new project.

Find modding this game to good result more difficult than Shogun 2, so it may take longer before I have something available for release.

But I believe we're not in a rush. I think this game will take a while patching up to good standard, primarily in the battle department (unit balance), and there's little point playing it before then.

BTW, if you see a minor faction looking particularly bad, let me know will you? I'm just playing the game in custom battles for modding purposes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Noif de Bodemloze♔ View Post
    Arveni spear nobles look gorgeous with beautiful colors!
    Thank you for hopping in to say so, Noif. I find them looking pretty special, too. And thanks again for your advice on that other matter earlier.
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 14, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Oh this is so going to be a "must-have" for Rome II...

Stat rosa pristina nomine nomina nuda tenemus

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Heyyy, Fmtch! Nice to hear from you, a real colour-modding colleague. Long time, no see. Glad to hear you approve of my new project.

Find modding this game to good result more difficult than Shogun 2, so it may take longer before I have something available for release.

But I believe we're not in a rush. I think this game will take a while patching up to good standard, primarily in the battle department (unit balance), and there's little point playing it before then.

BTW, if you see a minor faction looking particularly bad, let me know will you? I'm just playing the game in custom battles for modding purposes right now.
    It's nice to see you doing this so I don't have to do it mysel! haha I'm too busy for modding these days. I'll keep a look out for any minor factions with horrible colours and let you know if I see any!