Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Realism project enlarged with Centum Edition; now including unit cards

May i ask what this "Realism/variety project is? It sounds mucho interesting!

And ofc nice work on the latest release. Its really easy on the eyes when playing the game.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Realism project enlarged with Centum Edition; now including unit cards

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia View Post
    May i ask what this "Realism/variety project is? It sounds mucho interesting!

And ofc nice work on the latest release. Its really easy on the eyes when playing the game.
    Thanks. Yes, that was/is the goal of my modding: to make the units appear natural or realistic. Just plain believable. Still have a lot of work to do, as I keep discovering unexpected results in different lighting conditions etc. Not fully satisfied with everything I've done so far, other than getting rid of vanilla colours.

"The realism project" was just my way of trying to tell people who haven't yet checked up on ACR2 what my mod is geared for. The name of my ("Alternative") mod doesn't say anything about that. Those who've tested ACR2 know what it means, and the work is still ongoing, so I referred to it as a "project". Will probably drop the term in the title with the next update.

"The variety project" refers mainly to my plan to give all factions in the game some variety in the appearance of their army. Primarily colour-wise. But possibly also equipment-wise, if I can get the Assembly Kit to work for R2. But this a long way down the modding road. When I'm done with the colour project, I'm not sure there will be some modding spirit left for other stuff. We'll see about that.

And, like I said, I'm not sure CA will be able to patch this game up properly. Nine patches after release and we still can't see the end of the patching needed. If they can't solve the issues in a satisfactory manner, it might be a waste of time going deeper into the modding world. So after the Totus Edition of ACR2 (which may or may not include the CIG DLC), I'll wait and see where CA are heading with R2.

PS. Further dev of ACR2 halted because after patch 9 all mods enabling minor factions to be played in custom battles have ceased to work for me. Can't test new uniform theme ideas. Any explanation as to the cause of it appreciated.
    Last edited by Demokritos; February 06, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Sad to hear that. Hopefully it will be resolved. I refuse to play the game without it (havent touched CiG yet beacuse of that). Is it possible to make it compatible with the dlc?

Sad to hear that. Hopefully it will be resolved. I refuse to play the game without it (havent touched CiG yet beacuse of that). Is it possible to make it compatible with the dlc?
    I think there already is at least one other mod of this sort available that covers the CiG. Maybe you should check it out, Banksia.

But I actually bought that DLC the other day a little earlier than planned after the unit variety issue was resolved, due to an idea that it might kick custom battles mods into working order again. No luck with that idea, but now I can recolour the CiG as well once I get minor factions enabled in custom battles.

There are two more ideas for solving the current problem that I can test. One is to use the Assembly Kit to create a mod for the purpose, in case the game engine has easier reading files created in this manner, for some reason (as opposed to files created by the PFM). The second option is to use Mitch's mod manager instead of CA's version. Someone claimed the former variant works better. I'm not sure about that, since last time I used it my own mod stopped working after CA had released their manager. But it's worth another shot.

Good thing with CA's Epirus update is that it at least removed those strange black structures in place for some bushes and trees on the battlefield for me. So now everything is back in order in this area.

Will return with a PS here after testing those two other ideas (unless someone submits a post before that).

PS. Custom battles finally problem fixed (with the help of an updated version of Mitch's mod manager). On modding track again. Already done three Celtic factions.

But...

...reduced unit variety issue seems back again for me.

Anyone else seen this?

Edit: Reduced unit variety problem has returned for me, but with less severity than before. If patch 7 took away two colours on the main part of the tunics, and patch 9 restored them all, the Epirus update seems generally to remove one again. Can't believe this . Never had so many issues with a game before. May never fully enjoy to play R2. Losing modding spirit over it.

Think I'd better postpone further dev of the project until it appears a good idea again (after further patching of the game)...
    Last edited by Demokritos; February 26, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2: Centum Edition - now including unit cards

Keep going strong! This is by far the best re-skin mod I've ever seen.

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2: Centum Edition - now including unit cards

Quote Originally Posted by Naja View Post
    Keep going strong! This is by far the best re-skin mod I've ever seen.
    Happy to hear you appreciate the work, Naja. Don't know how many re-skin mods you've tested, but verdicts like that always make the modder believe the mod has a place in the community and that it could be worth developping further.

Personally, I think my ACC for Shogun 2 is better, a more mature work due to having gone through a greater number of updates. It's still not quite finished with respect to the plan of introducing traditional Japanese colours for all parties, but it stands pretty good as it is. Most factions for R2 I've only had one attempt at re-colouring so far.

As you have gathered, I'm on a modding break right now, due to CA's handling of the current game. The future of ACR2 is a bit uncertain. But I hate leaving projects that I've embarked upon half done. And with all effort invested in this thread, it feels like I've more or less promised the community to at least remove all vanilla colours from the game. And with feedback like yours, Naja, there's an incentive to live up to that part, even if I personally may not enjoy the game enough to play it much.

But the modding break will last at least until patch 10 is out, maybe longer. Need to recharge my batteries. Then we'll see if I can complete the basic vanilla-removal part of the project.

Heyy DEMO!, Been awhile! here a few postcards for you ;D will be uploading more in few days time when i clean up some GEM tweaks( finally GEM works on steam overlay!!!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-03-03_00005.jpg   2014-03-03_00004.jpg   2013-12-29_00001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    Heyy DEMO!, Been awhile! here a few postcards for you ;D will be uploading more in few days time when i clean up some GEM tweaks( finally GEM works on steam overlay!!!!)
    Hello Hazey man! Yes, it's been a while. I wondered where you went off to after the release of ACR2. Having a good time somewhere else, I hope.

Are those screenies from ACR2 (the third in particular I have difficult to recognize, even though it looks like partly the product of GEM)? If they're not, people visiting this thread to see what ACR2 can offer and come across those pics might get it the wrong way. So I'd appreciate it if all images posted here are related to ACR2 in some way.

Either way, great shots as usual! Think I like the second one best. Lot of atmosphere in that one. More is coming, you say? Looking forward to them, my friend.
    Last edited by Demokritos; March 05, 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Is this mod discontinued? Booted up the game today after some weeks break. Decided to try out the CiG-campaign but to my utter sorrow my breadful berserkers wear all dressed in PINK. All units in the campaign is...

There are some colour mods on the workshop but they outright suck. No minors, majors all have one "hue" and not that much of a difference. I dont want to play with a pretty faction against an ugly one!

Maybe putting it on the Steam-Workshop to gain some of the spotlight that may be needed? Just a thought.

Hopefully you find some inspriration again, Demokritos!

[...] There are some colour mods on the workshop but they outright suck. No minors, majors all have one "hue" and not that much of a difference. I dont want to play with a pretty faction against an ugly one!
    There must be over half a dozen alternatives to ACR2 out there. Haven't installed any of them (as I prefer my own interpretations), but I've seen a few pics from some of them, and lots of players seem to vouch for them. Not many feel the need to look elsewhere.

But even I do not like to play a proper campaign with ACR2 as long as there are still vanilla factions to be encountered with this mod.

Is this mod discontinued? [...]
    Not definitely. The Epirus update bringing back the sorrowful unit variety issue for me drained my modding spirits. For a while, I think. Wanted to wait for what patch10 had in store. The beta gave no inspiration in this respect. Maybe it will be better when it goes live, but I suspect now that my break will last at least until they release the Hannibal DLC and its accompanying patch.

Maybe putting it on the Steam-Workshop to gain some of the spotlight that may be needed? Just a thought.

Hopefully you find some inspriration again, Demokritos!
    If more players wished for the continuation of ACR2, it sure would help for my inspiration. Not much interested in R2 for my own sake right now.

Steam has a bigger audience than TWC, no doubt about that. But I've been hesitant about putting my mods up there. Don't like Steam that much. But maybe I should consider gamers who'd appreciate my type of work instead. Not for my own sake. Just for the sake of spreading a little more fun in some corners of the world.

I'll think about that.

Foederatus

Is This Compatible with CIG?
    Open At Your Own Risk. This Is Just My Opinion.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A Feature:
    Put your tactical skills to the test as you directly control tens of
    thousands of men clashing in epic land and sea battles

Lame, only a Very Very Very High-End PC (Yes 3 Very's) or a Super Computer Can Do That.
    Completely scalable experience, with performance optimised for your PC or laptop. Witness the awesome scale of Total War: Rome II, from minimum spec upwards.
    Oh by the way, if you bought the game, dont throw it away, if you do,
    you just wasted your money completely.

Quote Originally Posted by MECC143 View Post
    Is This Compatible with CIG?
    Not yet, I'm afraid.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Not yet, I'm afraid.
    oh ok,
    btw, why blue for the romans?
    +rep
    Open At Your Own Risk. This Is Just My Opinion.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A Feature:
    Put your tactical skills to the test as you directly control tens of
    thousands of men clashing in epic land and sea battles

Lame, only a Very Very Very High-End PC (Yes 3 Very's) or a Super Computer Can Do That.
    Completely scalable experience, with performance optimised for your PC or laptop. Witness the awesome scale of Total War: Rome II, from minimum spec upwards.
    Oh by the way, if you bought the game, dont throw it away, if you do,
    you just wasted your money completely.

Quote Originally Posted by MECC143 View Post
    oh ok,
    btw, why blue for the romans?
    +rep
    Thank you, MECC.

Only one unit type among the Romans is blue in ACR2. I chose to make it blue in order to reflect the fact in history that some Roman legionaries wore blue tunics and carried blue shields (those with the latter equipment not necessarily being dressed in former tunics). It does not only make the best cohorts in the legion stand out, it also gives the player an opportunity to create a whole legion of soldiers in blue, which could come to be valued as a special army indeed.

For those who don't like the departure from red or white, I've spelled out how to edit my mod in post #3.

Are you going to do the new factions that comes along with HatG-dlc? I think that there are some new units that require some magic touch!

Are you going to do the new factions that comes along with HatG-dlc? I think that there are some new units that require some magic touch!
    Thanks for your faith in ACR2, my friend.

You mean the Arevaci, Lusitani, and Syracuse? The latter is already covered in ACR2 for the main game. The other two were due for recolouring in the Totus Edition, along with the rest of available factions in the grand campaign and CiG. But HatG may contain new factions that are not available in the main game. These are more uncertain in ACR2, as I'm not planning on getting HatG as long as the reduced unit variety issue remains in place. I said the same thing regarding CiG, but then they solved the issue, and me thinking it was permanent decided all was well and went purchasing that DLC. Now I kind of regret that, since the issue was re-introduced.

Anyway, still waiting to see what official (patch) changes will come with HatG.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Thanks for your faith in ACR2, my friend.

You mean the Arevaci, Lusitani, and Syracuse? The latter is already covered in ACR2 for the main game. The other two were due for recolouring in the Totus Edition, along with the rest of available factions in the grand campaign and CiG. But HatG may contain new factions that are not available in the main game. These are more uncertain in ACR2, as I'm not planning on getting HatG as long as the reduced unit variety issue remains in place. I said the same thing regarding CiG, but then they solved the issue, and me thinking it was permanent decided all was well and went purchasing that DLC. Now I kind of regret that, since the issue was re-introduced.

Anyway, still waiting to see what official (patch) changes will come with HatG.
    Allright! Hopefully the varietyproblem gets resolved soon. On a personal note, i think that the Grand campaign is the "main thing" and the minicampaigns arent that important. But if you would take them on I would not complain.

Cheers!

So this works with latest update? (version 11)

Quote Originally Posted by ru55lee View Post
    So this works with latest update? (version 11)
    Yes. But it wont affect the new units nor the iberian factions in the Grand Campaign (i think).

Yes. But it wont affect the new units nor the iberian factions in the Grand Campaign (i think).
    AWESOME...thanks dude XD