Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae: Totus ED - pack of uniforms expanded for Empire Divided! Now with CORRECTED content

Quote Originally Posted by aym-wns View Post
    Great work (as always)
    Thank you, aym-wns.

I'm about half-way through the faction list for ROTR now. Some of the latest sides that have gotten the ACR stamp are...

Bituriges (re-made for ROTR):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Cenomani (re-made for ROTR):
    Balari:
    Most of the units from the Nuragic culture group only get two of the three faction colours applied on their uniforms. The exceptions are usually a good quality unit and then one can use the third colour to make these latter units stand out, like in the above case (where tertiary is set to red).

Sikelians:
    The latter belong to a group of factions the role of which I have yet to determine in game. CA has put an "inc" in between the normal parts of their name in the DB files (e.g. "inv_inc_sikelians", instead of the normal "inv_aequi" etc for the ROTR campaign), so I'm guessing these will pop up under special circumstances.

Edit 5 Sep 2018: Got perhaps a quarter of the factions in ROTR left to do now. Discovered a problem with the Samnites. CA has applied the same heavy shading on the units for this faction as the Romans. In ROTR, it's actually worse for the Samnites than the Romans. None of the better Samnite infantry units gets any of the faction colours applied cleanly or "correctly" on the uniforms - all of them are shaded to some greyish variant instead. Makes it impossible to come up with a single faction theme that looks good on all units. Individual adjustments are necessary for the better ones, but even then the results are not promising. For the first ACR version that covers ROTR, I will include some Samnite units that have undergone an attempt to "rescue" them from this shading, basically through a brightened faction theme, but they will still appear mostly greyish in colour (unlikely to have been typical for the Samnites).

Examples...
    Samnite javelinmen with many soldiers in clean faction colours:

Lucanian ambushers in Samnite service with "rescued" faction colours (the orangy red having become a little less dark brownish red etc):

Added example of Linen Legion with all colours in pure white (FFFFFF), only tertiary being applied on tunics (which still come out greyish):

Edit 6 Sep 2018: Was not happy with my solution for the Samnites to CA's heavy shading. Needed a more individual unit approach for the first version, after all. In a couple of cases, I found the best option to be more soldiers in red tunics, like those "hardcoded" in the textures. This unit variety still limited to better quality infantry units. May expand on that for the entire army later.

Example (note the guys with black details on shoulders):
    Light infantryman:
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 06, 2018 at 02:35 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Guess what...

Go to OP for link to a mod which offers a campaign in quite different atmosphere. Hope you like it.

This time (in this campaign and mod version) only the Samnites have been given some unit diversity, primarily to combat the heavy shading which CA has applied on all of their better infantry units. That was difficult work, but the result turned out better than I expected. Example shown above.

Enjoy.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

The colours looking great.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    The colours looking great.
    Thank you, Marcus.

Wasn't happy with how the Samnite Linen Legion turned out in my latest release. The idea was to give them a colour close to that of real linen, but the shading applied by the game corrupts it. So had a different idea, trying to use this shading, based on a historical illustration, not of the Linen Legion, but of Samnite warriors in general:
    Note that this particular unit only gets one colour applied on the tunics and together with the heavy shading this makes it difficult to make them look interesting.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Hi, Demokritos, may i use a changed version of the Liguri faction colour for my gallia cisalpina mod with proper credit for you?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Hi, Demokritos, may i use a changed version of the Liguri faction colour for my gallia cisalpina mod with proper credit for you?
    Permission granted, my friend, under such conditions.

Edit 10 September 2018: Still not happy with the darned Linen Legion. So had a wrestle with them once more. This time they came out...
    Updated the Silver Infantryman as well. Had a go at the other Samnite units, too. Uploaded the lot to official status.

Edit 13 September 2018: Felt like making the general units (not the chariots) of Senones stand out a little stronger, inkluding the officer:
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 13, 2018 at 07:22 AM.

Senones are looking sick

Senones are looking sick
    I hope you mean "sick" in a good way, according to a local expression of yours, not actually sick, as if they're ready to vomit, haha.

In the first case: thank you. In the second case: sorry about that.
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 15, 2018 at 08:36 AM.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Looks good

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    Looks good
    Thank you, Gyrosmeister. Enjoy.

Edit September 17, 2018: Have given the Senones some unit diversity now. As a rule not by much. For the Gallic axemen, for example, only the faction colours in different order, so that some soldiers, due to how the colours are mixed in certain patterns on the uniforms, become dressed in all-red outfits, which rhymes well with my source for their theme and looks cool with their golden helmets:
    One unit, however, the Gallic spearmen, is now all-red only:
    May upload this diversity after some more work on other ROTR factions.

Edit October 5, 2018: I'm slowly giving some factions in the ROTR campaign some unit diversity, like the Boii, Viesul, and Illyrian Pirates. Here's a sneek peek of the result for the Iolei army, as they assault a Carthaginian city:

Edit October 17, 2018: Another sneak peek, this time of Alerian army diversity:
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 17, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Hey demokritos, who dont you upload your mods on the steam workshop? Cheers

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

One of my all time most favorite color mods for sure...

Hey demokritos, who dont you upload your mods on the steam workshop? Cheers
    Frankly, aym-wns, I don't like that place much. Tested to upload one of my mods once: it's evident that I'll get more people using my work there. But I get more response or feedback for it here, making it more worth the trouble to maintain a mod thread. The other day I also got an issue involving Steam's terms of service: I had to report a mod on that platform for using my work without permission. I'm still waiting for an official answer. I got the offender to back down on my own, but it seems Steam don't care about such problems. I make a point of not supporting such companies. So, if I could, I'd move all of my games to a different platform.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    One of my all time most favorite color mods for sure...
    That's very nice of you to say, Greek Strategos. Thank you.

I think ACC has a better reputation, but ACR is far greater in scope: for those who care to look around, there's plenty to discover. But the more new units (with special colours) one wants to have in the game, the less interesting ACR is likely to be.

I'm currently having one of my rare playthroughs of the game. Found this: a good example of what ACR offers - nothing flashy, just a pretty...believable experience, IMO (of a Gallic Confederation defending their town against Nuragic attackers):

Edit October 31, 2018: Army diversity for Insubres in ROTR done. Example:
    Edit December 6, 2018: I should perhaps remind you all here that if you have one general's unit (in a custom battle) and recruit another of the same type the uniform styles of the officers in those units (i.e. the generals) will differ; with a third general's unit of the same type you'll have three variants in uniform style, etc (up to a certain limit). Don't remember if the Insubres example above was the second or third variant.

Edit November 6, 2018: Diversity for Syracuse in ROTR done. Examples:

Edit November 9, 2018: Diversity for Taras done. Hoplite variety examples:

Taras will also have their own version of Mercenary Spartan hoplites:
    When other factions recruit these mercenaries, they'll appear in tunics coloured a little brighter red.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 06, 2018 at 03:11 AM.

can't wait for the release of this! I'm about to go on a playthrough of RotR so would hopefully will see something soon

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Lancer View Post
    can't wait for the release of this! I'm about to go on a playthrough of RotR so would hopefully will see something soon
    Glad to hear you've liked the previews so far, my friend. My plan was to give diversity to Tarchuna, the Veneti and the Romans (so that all playable factions were covered), too, before releasing an update.

But I have spent so much time on it lately that I'm afraid I've run out of modding juice for the TW series. Need to play some other games for a while before getting some modding spirit back. Might be on track again coming spring. Sorry anout that.

Oops that's a shame :< was planning to play Syracuse first so slightly eager when I saw it was done earlier. But well this mod is a labour of love and a few more months of waiting will definitely be worth it in the end. See you hopefully in spring then!

Thanku

Thank you sir for making this mod. It has made Empire divided playable for me. I haven't checked out the regular grand campaign colors yet. I like what you did with caledoni and the gaulic Rome colors. Could you please if you have time maybe take a second look at the peachish pink color on the macromanni units in Empire divided. Thank you for your time.

Appreciate your feedback, guys. Adds to the worth of the time spent on this mod.

@jasonlbc23 - Yes, I'm not quite happy with reddish part for the Marcomanni yet. Will update their theme in the next release. Don't know when that will happen, though. Busy with RL ATM. May post some data for a temporary change to the Marcomanni alone that players would have to apply themselves (using PFM on my mod) in a few weeks. This data will be added to this post or submitted in a separate post later.

Foederatus

I am really impressed I have just discovered your mod and it is really fun to play. Changes the atmosphere of the game. I am not new to the game and to different mods , but yours is somehow simple but great I have been using Attilas` Acient Armies but now I am into yours with Celticus Rome II HD and they go well thogether I think, anyway I saw your comment about it that it may be good to use them both.