Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Glad you like the work, Jackar17. And thank you for giving some feedback on it. Always appreciated.

Yes, the changes this mod make are technically simple - it's just altering some RGB values. But there are over 16 million options to those values and to pick the "right" ones among those for each of the three colours that constitute the theme of every faction (and many individual units) in the game for a realistic and satisfactory whole is far from an easy job (as even CA might agree with). If successful, however, the effect is indeed great, as you say, and important for the experience of the game. To me, it's a difference that makes the game playable; I cannot enjoy the vanilla appearance enough to play it as is.

Don't remember my comment about Celticus' Rome II HD. But if I made it, I must have had a reason for it.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Hey Demokritos, can i integrate your mod in a reskin mod that I have created (Vanilla Reskin Overhaul on the Workshop). I'll give you credit of course.
    Cheers

Hey Demokritos, can i integrate your mod in a reskin mod that I have created (Vanilla Reskin Overhaul on the Workshop). I'll give you credit of course.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by aym-wns View Post
    Cheers
    That mod of yours looks good. I should give it a test once I return to this game. If this is your first mod of its kind, I must congratulate you.

Well, thanks for considering to integrate my mod with yours and giving me a heads-up before you did. That's a sign of respect that's commendable. Before I decide, however, I have a question: for those gamers who like this idea (assuming that not all gamers would like this particular combo), they cannot use both our mods in separate files, without some adjustment being made to my or your mod or both of them?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Thank you, it is indeed my first mod ever . Sorry I didn't really understand your question... But my idea behind this is that your mod is a bit hard to find because it is not on the Workshop, and people do not necessarily know how to manually put an external mod in the data folder (my case a couple of years ago xp).
    As the creator of ACR, I would like you, when you have the time of course, to test my mod with yours and give me your opinion, which I really value because ACR made me love vanilla Rome again, and see if the combo works

Quote Originally Posted by awanas001 View Post
    Thank you, it is indeed my first mod ever .
    Then I should congratulate you again, not only for finishing a mod project of your own, but also for going public with it, thereby enriching the whole TW gaming community. Nice initiative.

Sorry I didn't really understand your question... But my idea behind this is that your mod is a bit hard to find because it is not on the Workshop, and people do not necessarily know how to manually put an external mod in the data folder (my case a couple of years ago xp).
    I see. Yes, I have deliberately stayed away from Steam Workshop because I don't like the place. So only gamers who are pretty dedicated in finding the best TW mods out there to enrich their gaming experience might stumble upon my work here. Those gamers take the time to learn how to enable every mod they are interested in.
    I'm inclined to grant your request, but you should be aware of a couple of things. If you integrate my mod with yours, it becomes a problem for all players who want to test an other recoloured-uniforms mod together with your work. If you ask me, the best option of making a mod available for the public is to keep it separate but as compatible with other mods as possible. That way all players can find their own individual master setup of mods. According to this idea, you just recommend a few recolour mods (including mine), for instance, on your own mod page and provide links to them all there. I think you will please not only more gamers that way, but also more fellow modders. If you stick to your original idea to combine our mods, however, the bare minimum of giving credit to me is to make it clear to anyone contemplating to use this combo which my part in it is and provide a link to my mod page here at TWC. That way I have a chance of receiving some feedback and rep for my part of the combo also, if someone takes note of that. Remember that permission to use my mod would only be valid for current version of it. If I find that you handle this matter in a way that displeases me, you will not get permission to upgrade the combo with the next version of my mod. And in a really bad case, I will ask you to remove my part from the mod that you offer at the Workshop.
    So what will it be: keep our mods separate or combine them?

As the creator of ACR, I would like you, when you have the time of course, to test my mod with yours and give me your opinion, which I really value because ACR made me love vanilla Rome again, and see if the combo works
    I'm glad to have been of service to you, awanas001/aym-wns, and thank you for letting me know that my work made a difference. Reviews like that validates the time I spent on it.
    I don't know when I get the time to test this combo, however, as I have a lot of other things I need to to do IRL ATM, but I will surely let you know when I do. Keep up the good work in the meantime!

I respect your decision of keeping out of the workshop, so i'll just link your mod for players to use at their own will
    Thanks again for the kind words and i'll be looking forward to jour comments about the reskin

I respect your decision of keeping out of the workshop, so i'll just link your mod for players to use at their own will
    Thanks again for the kind words and i'll be looking forward to jour comments about the reskin
    That's very kind of you, awanas001, thank you. You're free to display some pictures of how your work will look like in combination with my mod, if you make it clear there that you're using my mod only as an example. I'll keep an eye on the development of your work, as it looks promising!

FERRDO's Avatar Laetus

Just dropping back in to say I agree, the game is nigh unplayable without ACR! Although it's fun to take vanilla for a spin occasionally to see all the neon CA colors

Demokritos, I have an opinion question for you: I am going to begin a new campaign to try and go for a Cultural victory, and thought what better faction group than to try Greeks or Successors. In your humble opinion, which Greek faction (from any of the DLC packs) or Successor kingdoms colour scheme are you most pleased with?

Quote Originally Posted by FERRDO View Post
    Just dropping back in to say I agree, the game is nigh unplayable without ACR! Although it's fun to take vanilla for a spin occasionally to see all the neon CA colors
    Thank you for your support, FERRDO. Always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FERRDO View Post
    Demokritos, I have an opinion question for you: I am going to begin a new campaign to try and go for a Cultural victory, and thought what better faction group than to try Greeks or Successors. In your humble opinion, which Greek faction (from any of the DLC packs) or Successor kingdoms colour scheme are you most pleased with?
    Boy, that's a tough one. I don't remember all the unit themes across those factions, but I do remember being particularly pleased with the higher quality cavalry for the Macedonians in GC. You should check them out. Not sure if the Macedonian army as a whole is my best pick, though. And then we have my submod for the great Hellenika mod...

My advice to you is to grab a mod enabling all factions to be played in custom battles and, with ACR also enabled, check a good part of the roster for every Hellenic faction you fancy playing for other reasons than appearance. After all, it is your taste of pleasing looks that should rule here.

Let me know what faction you finally went for, and why, as that would be fun to hear.

Dear Demo, Total war Saga Troy is about to come out.
    The colors as always are a little too bright. https://www.totalwar.com/games/troy/hector/
    Do you think you could work it on?

Quote Originally Posted by argenti View Post
    Dear Demo, Total war Saga Troy is about to come out.
    The colors as always are a little too bright. https://www.totalwar.com/games/troy/hector/
    Do you think you could work it on?
    Haha, thanks for expressing some faith in me to fix the issue with a question like that.

Yes, I've checked the previews of that game, and got the same impression as you did: "My my, those colours. A whole unit wearing clothes in colours as if dyed with the most expensive dye in antiquity, something only princes and the like could afford. If such a unit existed, they're not likely to have looked like that. Don't they ever read history thoroughly or care about actual history? A little more realism could look pretty damn cool, too". Troy may in fact be a TW game that I'll procure one day. The Three Kingdoms never quite appealed to me. Especially after reports about it being rather boring or lacking in playability as the units looked the same regardless of what faction you played. Troy promises to be a little more varied and interesting in this regard. So perhaps more worthwhile to engage in. Cannot say for certain at this moment before the game has been out for some while and modding tools with which to edit the particulars have been released. It also depends on where I stand IRL then. Much else to do ATM.
    Last edited by Demokritos; July 20, 2020 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Haha, thanks for expressing some faith in me to fix the issue with a question like that.
    Troy may in fact be a TW game that I'll procure one day
    Edit

Epic store will give it free on August 13th in the first 24h
    look
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...c-games-store/
    Here it is: A Total War Saga: TROY is an Epic Games Store exclusive for 12 months – and will be available for free if you claim it in the first 24 hours.
    That’s right – we’re giving away TROY for free, to keep, as long as you claim it in the 24 hour window!
    Last edited by argenti; July 20, 2020 at 07:34 AM.

Edit

Epic store will give it free on August 13th in the first 24h
    look
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...c-games-store/
    Here it is: A Total War Saga: TROY is an Epic Games Store exclusive for 12 months – and will be available for free if you claim it in the first 24 hours.
    That’s right – we’re giving away TROY for free, to keep, as long as you claim it in the 24 hour window!
    That sounds almost too good to be true. I'll certainly check it out on the given date. Thanks for the tip, my friend.

That sounds almost too good to be true. I'll certainly check it out on the given date. Thanks for the tip, my friend.
    Hector is waiting for you
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ajax is ready to wallop you

Anyway jokes aside I'm noticing from many bronze age illustrations that often some interpretations give very vivid colors.
    In ancient times I believe that at least azure or indigo was easily obtainable.
    Or am I wrong?

Hector is waiting for you

Ajax is ready to wallop you

Anyway jokes aside I'm noticing from many bronze age illustrations that often some interpretations give very vivid colors.
    In ancient times I believe that at least azure or indigo was easily obtainable.
    Or am I wrong?
    It's going to be interesting to see both how those classical heroes are portrayed in the game, and how they're used in the game. Would be great if their look were moddable. If so, any historical or artistic representation of them could be inspirational. So thanks for those illustrations.

The colour of azure, or the pigment of ultramarine (as it became known in the middle ages), came from the lapis lazuli rock, which was found and mined in northeast Afghanistan very early in history (thousands of years ago). Don't think it was easily obtainable (neither in availability nor in price) in Europe or Asia Minor in classical age. The dye of indigo, extracted from certain plants and mollusks, was definitely a luxury product in the Greek and Roman worlds. So these types of blue are not likely to have been seen often in the society. Other types of blue could have been more accessible in the Troy region, however, like those produced by woad. But I know too little about that subject.

PS. I've just learned that Epic Games Store, the platform that's offering Troy for free within the first 24 hours of its release, has a certain connection to China: 40% of Epic Games is owned by Tencent, a big Chinese tech company. The latter is "cited for its involvement in China's somewhat terrifying 1984-like social credit system, which gamifies Chinese citizens' behavior." Against the backdrop of growing international concerns that Chinese companies are working as extensions of their national government, this is somewhat troubling. Representatives for Epic Games, however, say Tencent has no input in the way they conduct their business, and if that's true, registering at EGS should not constitute a greater risk or problem than registering at Steam. Nevertheless, for the above and other reasons, I've become wary of accepting the Troy-for-free offer from EGS. Means I might wait until Troy becomes available at Steam before downloading it, despite not liking Steam that much, either.
    Last edited by Demokritos; August 02, 2020 at 06:29 AM.

I will also buy it on steam
    But I will use the Epic version as a demo.

I will also buy it on steam
    But I will use the Epic version as a demo.
    Hehe, well, yes, I guess that's one way of addressing part of the problem.

But have you seen THIS thread? It questions the sense in supporting the market strategy of exclusives per se. If lots of people jump on the train for exclusives, many game producers are likely to standardize this strategy. And if games are shut out of the platform you prefer for a year or so every so often, would that be worth it for the few times when its the other way around, games being shut out from all platforms but the one you prefer?

But when it comes to the TW producers, at least, there seems to be some work going on to make all future TW games independent of platforms, so that, if I have understood the idea correctly, a core game purchased on one platform will be accessible on other platforms, too, can upgraded with a DLC purchased on another, etc. That would seem to be the end for exclusives with TW games.

There is, however, an other matter of more direct concern for me as a public modder and it's currently under discussion generally HERE. Some members of this site appear to think they have the right to use the work of modders publicly against the explicit and clear wishes of these modders if the work has not been updated for long or its creator remains unresponsive to inquiries about permission to use the work publicly somewhere else (i.e. despite there already being a clear statement in plain view against it from the creator). I cannot agree with these members, because (1) the wishes of an individual should be respected as much as possible without causing serious trouble for another individual, and (2) many people are up to no good and I don't want to support them with my own work or let any other modder's work support them if this is explicitly against the modder's wish. So, as far as I'm concerned, I must be in control of who's doing what with my work publicly. Hence the explicit "pemission by request" condition attached to all my major work. I would accept, however, the ruling of a TWC committee regarding permission to use a modder's work publicly if the modder in question had authorized the committee to do this based on written instructions about how to determine whether or not his or her conditions for it has been met. But if this group of members manage to make their carte blanche view the official line of TWC, I becomes difficult for me to support TWC with my work, be it finished or upcoming. You figure out the rest. Anyone having an opinon on the matter should head over to that official thread and express it there. I have.
    Last edited by Demokritos; August 06, 2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Another matter

But when it comes to the TW producers, at least, there seems to be some work going on to make all future TW games independent of platforms, so that, if I have understood the idea correctly, a core game purchased on one platform will be accessible on other platforms, too, can upgraded with a DLC purchased on another, etc. That would seem to be the end for exclusives with TW games.
    This already happens with Ubisoft titles
    In fact, I activated the games given away on Epic but I download them via Uplay.

Hey Demokritos, hope you're doing well. Since you took off the download links from TWCENTER, could you send me back the file? and also, can i integrate to my mod?