Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modding Q&A's

Default Re: Modding Q&A's (General)

Quote Originally Posted by Irish guy View Post
    Can someone tell me how to change unit stats?

I've tried opening the land units table and editing values there, but the changes aren't reflected when I test them in-game. What I want specifically is to make a units charge more powerfull.
    Hey, I believe I might have the answer to that one.. Or actually it goes along the same principle as what Swiss has already said..

Import it into your MOD and don't add a prefix before this table. Then you can delete all rows of the units which you don't want. That your table overwrites the "vanilla" table, you must call it exactly like the vanilla table.
    So when you import the "land_units" table do not add a prefix and the changes you make to the stats should overwrite the vanilla values.. This is an educated guess, going on what Swiss said..

Edit: Oh and please post if it works/or doesn't work and I will update the OP..
    Last edited by Actus Reus; October 07, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Q: Is it possible to set your new unit as the general's/character's bodyguards on campaign map?

I know there is an option to have it as your general unit in custom battle selection screen.
    But is this also possible to be enabled when raising a new army via a character selection?

Quote Originally Posted by koultouras View Post
    Q: Is it possible to set your new unit as the general's/character's bodyguards on campaign map?

I know there is an option to have it as your general unit in custom battle selection screen.
    But is this also possible to be enabled when raising a new army via a character selection?
    Added to the OP..

I would also like to know this and I will do some experimenting.. But as always if any passers by know the answer to this question please do post..

Irish guy's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Actus Reus View Post
    Hey, I believe I might have the answer to that one.. Or actually it goes along the same principle as what Swiss has already said..

So when you import the "land_units" table do not add a prefix and the changes you make to the stats should overwrite the vanilla values.. This is an educated guess, going on what Swiss said..

Edit: Oh and please post if it works/or doesn't work and I will update the OP..
    Thing is, I'm not making my own mod. I am editing another mod for my own preferences. So, I open the mod pack file and make changes there, but they dont take effect when I test them.

Mods I use:
    Europa Barbarorum.
    Stainless Steel.
    Third Age Total War.
    Darth Mod (S2TW)
    Radious (Attilla)

Steam Profile: Sir Killsalot

Quote Originally Posted by Irish guy View Post
    Thing is, I'm not making my own mod. I am editing another mod for my own preferences. So, I open the mod pack file and make changes there, but they dont take effect when I test them.
    You can send me the DL link in a PM and I will take a look at for you if you like..

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Added to the OP..

I would also like to know this and I will do some experimenting.. But as always if any passers by know the answer to this question please do post..
    from what i ve gathered, and if this is somehow reassembling the way the first 3 titles were dictating the way your generals appear on battle/campaign , it may be needed
    some .esf editing.

for example in med2tw all it needed was a coded character in bmdb and a corect command in desc_characters.txt.
    Now i believe it somehow has to be this way again , only more complicated hence the upgrade of the games mechanics.

Question: Is it possible to add building slots to any regions? Sparta and Rome being two I would like to add a building to.

Question: Is it possible to swap starting regions between factions? Say a couple from both Libya and Carthago Nova to Carthage.
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koultouras View Post
    from what i ve gathered, and if this is somehow reassembling the way the first 3 titles were dictating the way your generals appear on battle/campaign , it may be needed
    some .esf editing.

for example in med2tw all it needed was a coded character in bmdb and a corect command in desc_characters.txt.
    Now i believe it somehow has to be this way again , only more complicated hence the upgrade of the games mechanics.
    Have you played around with the "variantmeshdefinitions" files with regards to the 3d models displayed on the campaign map? There are plenty of files, from what I have seen that correlate to Spy's, Politicians etc, which only appear on the campaign map..

Quote Originally Posted by Americanus Supremus View Post
    Question: Is it possible to add building slots to any regions? Sparta and Rome being two I would like to add a building to.

Question: Is it possible to swap starting regions between factions? Say a couple from both Libya and Carthago Nova to Carthage.
    No idea about adding building slots, so added to OP..

There is a released mod, where the creator gave Carthage most if not all of the starting provinces it probably should have and I believe that involves editing the startpos.esf.. North African regions for Carthage/disable new Carthage

I will add to the OP as well, as obviously my answer cannot be followed to replicate this process..
    Last edited by Actus Reus; October 10, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

What files affect campaign map water color? For example, if I wanted to change the light teal green oceans to a dark blue+green, what files would I edit?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Reichmar12 View Post
    What files affect campaign map water color? For example, if I wanted to change the light teal green oceans to a dark blue+green, what files would I edit?

Thanks for the help!
    Again there is a released mod which does this.. I will add it to the OP, but the wisest course of action would be to politely ask the author..

Better Water III HD

Thanks for the response. I already sent him a polite PM. :-)

My interests are solely for personal use not public releases, and I was clear about that to Occhi.

Awesome, Thank you Actus Reus +rep
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

Again there is a released mod which does this.. I will add it to the OP, but the wisest course of action would be to politely ask the author..

Better Water III HD
    In the meantime, and while I wait for a response from Occhi, I'll ask around elsewhere. Like I said, I'm interested for my own experimentation.

*_commander_unit_permissions

add your custom unit to the related factions

*_unit_set_to_unit_junctions

add rows to which type your custom unit is related to. Add the row with "bodyguard_units_generals" too.

Vanilla unit example: Celtic Spear Nobles

Cel_Spear_Nobles bodyguard_units_generals
    Cel_Spear_Nobles melee_units_spears

*_units_custom_battle_permissions

add your custom unit to the related factions and activate the second column "general_unit".

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

How do one edit the number of edicts for each level of imperium?

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    How do one edit the number of edicts for each level of imperium?
    campaign_variables, keys army_cap_fame_0 through army_cap_fame_4.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Where's the suggestions for fixes when after extracting the mod files into the "data" folder, no changes take effect? I can't get the radius mod to work.. any ideas?

I have spent a good 30 minutes searching this forum for any breakdown as to what exactly the difference between dismounted_charge_bonus & charge_bonus, dismounted_melee_attack & melee_attack, and dismounted_melee_defense & melee_defense do for NON-MOUNTED units.I'm looking at it and thinking "since the melee units can't ever be mounted are their stats calculated on the non-dismounted formula or since they're essentially permanently dismounted are they calculated on the dismounted formulas?Everything else I'm pretty fine with working out but this stuff is just boggling me. I'm essentially setting it all the same for non-mounted units but was hoping if someone could clarify that for me.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    what exactly the difference between dismounted_charge_bonus & charge_bonus, dismounted_melee_attack & melee_attack, and dismounted_melee_defense & melee_defense do for NON-MOUNTED units.
    Permanent foot units use the non-prefixed columns (melee_attack not dismounted_melee_attack) exclusively.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Permanent foot units use the non-prefixed columns (melee_attack not dismounted_melee_attack) exclusively.
    Thank you so much for the quick response.

Just leaves me boggling a bit looking at the rows and rows of stats filled with numbers that have NOTHING to do with anything. What that much garbage data it's no wonder the game ran like arse when it first released.

Now I've just got another stupid question:

I'm seeing "Primary Melee Weapon" and "Primary Ranged Weapon" but no secondary data. But at the same time I've seen pikemen using pikes in their formations but when I take them out of formation they draw swords. How does the game tell them to draw those particular swords?

This also begs the question as to if mounted units use different weapons while dismounted.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast