Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

@Vikus :
    Are you sure that the material is applied to your sword.
    It should appear in 3ds max, at least.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hi ,

now the images are added to post 118 of this thread.
    the texture have 2 problems :

1. the stains.i really dont know why sometime in TWS2-Textures there are stains when i edited them.

2.the non-existent " pattern " there.the black parts looks plain and smooth,but actually it should look a bit like Cotton.
    at image " TEXTUREIMAGE.png " you can see the texture itself looks actually like Cotton,but this you cant see on the Hat - Surface. ( image 1-3 )
    but a normal-map i have made.so what is wrong here ?

hm, when you really used is as texture_Normal then it's wrong, because Normal is the bump map. Bump maps define the high and deep on the textures which is calculated with the graphic card. There aren't really high and deep places on the original texture, but when you use a bump map (named as texture_Normal) then it seems that there are little high and deep places on the model. Maybe this is the problem that the textures look bad on the model... for a bump map the colours from the texture are wrong. So if you want to colour the model you have to use a texture named texture_diffuse.

To my problem: Can I use the Unwrap modifier, too, to define the texture? I tested it to render the sword and it seems that there is something wrong with the texture, because I only used the diffuse texture and there is now coulour only black and white (not the checker pattern!). Maybe I have to retexture the sword... Or could it be that there's somthing wrong with the FBX model? Maybe someone can help.

Regards,
    Vikus

Hi ,

Vikus,thanks for the reply and that you try to help me.
    but i dont used this example as normal map.
    in this post here i have uploaded the texture_diffuse and the texture_normal.

to your problem,i can only say what Wangrin have already said.
    the texture should be assigned to the material in the max file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TEXTUREDIFFUSE.png   TEXTURENORMAL.png  
    Last edited by manolops3; December 02, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

ok , i made a mistake as i created the UV-Map.to pack all the different model-parts into one UV-Map,i had to scale some parts in UV-Map to lower size.
    now i made a test,i scaled the image-size of the whole texture to a really large size,and replace the texture-parts with a smaller variant of the same texture-parts,copied them into it.
    and now it looks better.so the problem is that i scaled the parts in the UV-Map lower,and because of this the texture-parts look so much bigger on the Model.
    the stains are the pattern-pieces of the texture-parts,and they look so big.

now i have to change the UV-Map in 3DS Max , this is what i never have done before.i always made UV-maps in Blender.
    puuuuh......i must say modding for Shogun2 is sometime a bit inconvenient . in Models for another games you can use several textures for one Model.
    here you have to use only one texture for the whole model.

but the Total War Games are so much fun,and they are moddable.

Actually, Vikus, it is possible to have ALOT of texture variation. Look at my mod, Tale of the Heike and Genji to see examples. At most I have put 24 textures to one model in that mod but I think you can add as many as you want. Hit me up on steam if you want an explanation of how it works.

Edit: So it was manolops, my apologies. I'll just blaim my ability to be tired all the time.
    Last edited by Ygge; December 03, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

actually i thought the Hat for the Imjin Mod will be finished today.luckily,i made a last check , because by doing this, i discovered a last problem.
    i have reduced the polycount for LOD3 and LOD4 by hand to 450 . and i exported this and made all the steps to get it to work in game.
    then i made a last check,i have open it in Unwrap 3D and export it into 3DS Max,and then LOD3 and 4 have more than 1000 polygons......... ??????

Oh, this is annoying! :/ Maybe the file is corrupted...

Now I created new textures and used the equipment file of sparta_warrior as a base. I deleted all weapons in it and their layers, too. So there is only the default layer, the skeleton layer, the weapon layer and my own layer. I successfully added my sword (all four lods) and replaced the original textures with mine (I only placed another picture there, I didn't change any other settings there). Then I added the texture to the four lods and exported it as CS2. After this I exported it as mesh3... with BOB and packed all the things to a new mod.pack. But ingame the sword still looks like white plastic. What did I wrong? Maybe a help: BOB said that the textures havn't their right extensions. And this could cause problems. (autogenerating ..._files)

Regards,
    Vikus

Hi Vikus,

maybe this will not help,but sometimes when you want a silver metal-look and get a too shiny white-look,then sometimes it helps when you make the silver-grey in the texture a bit darker......

Yes, thank you but I think this isn't the problem. The sword looks like the last picture I sent. It seems for me that there isn't a problem with the textures themselves. When I look at the sword there aren't any textures on it, but when I render it in 3ds Max the sword looks very nice. So I think there's something wrong with the settings or something like that. Maybe someone has already made own weapons with own textures... Would be nice if someone can help me!

Regards,
    Vikus

And a second question: I have to use the local_*.pack. But how can I integrate the name and description in my mod.pack so nobody has to integrate file parts manually? And I don't want to change the language of the game from people in other parts of the world, too. So how can I add the name and description the right way?

i will explain it :
    you open your local_*.pack with PFM,and export the localisation.loc file.then you import this loc file into your mod.pack. then you edit this loc file in PFM , you use the copy&paste method , and you copy it
    from your units.loc and unit_description_text.loc .

but this works just perfect,if only you use this mod.pack , or only other peoples that use the same language-version as you.

to make it right for all language-versions,there is only one method :

you have to repeat the steps with the localisation.loc file i have explained at the start of this post for EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE.
    the strings have to be always in the localisation.loc file.

look at Radious Additional Units Mod. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Jidai-Campaign

this mod works perfect,if you use the english version of the game.but when you use for example the german version like me,then the units have in game no names.
    to fix this,you can download " language-files " .

take a look at here : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...pdated-4-11-13

i think,they say there something about a universal.loc file . maybe this is interesting......

at post #127 i have explained my current problem.

now i tried to check will it have the right polycount when i let make it the ProOptimizer.
    and yes,then after export and re-import the polycount is exactly as the ProOptimizer have set it.

now i tried it again per hand,click on some of the polys and hit Backspace,and after export and re-import
    the polygoncount is again as high as before........

maybe i have forgot a step ?

in Blender it is sometimes necessary to Apply a Modifier after editing,to take an effect after the export.......

have someone a idea ?

Vikus, which method you have used to reduce the polygon-count of your Armor ?

Hi, I had luck and the poly-count of the Nazgul model was already low, because it's a model from a game, too. For the sword I used the ProOptimizer from 3ds Max. But before reducing I created an UV map and set the options from ProOptimizer like wangrin made it in the pictures. So the program reduced the polygons without destroying the UV map. I tried it per hand befor that, but this method I explained is a lot of better.

Regards,
    Vikus

i know about the ProOptimizer.but i dont like the results........but if i dont figure out how to do this by hand so the changes are in the mesh_variant_part_mesh,then i have to be pleased with the ProOptimizer-results.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

You can use ProOptimizer to reduce polycount and then optimize your model by hand.
    This will save some time, particularly with UVmap as you will not necessarily have to entirely rework it.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

but once i used the ProOptimizer,the removed polygons are away,and the model is destroyed at some small parts,so what can i optimize at this point ?
    but maybe i am too nit-pick here.i could imagine that,i make a first try with ProOptimizer,but just to preview the result,then make the step undo,
    and the parts that the ProOptimizer will destroy like i know now,this parts i Detach before.and the proOptimizer will only change the other parts.
    then i can Attach them.

You see, now I fully textured the models. The text and name works, too, so the very last thing is the texturing of the sword model. In the pictures it seems that the game doesn't use textures so it looks like plastic without any colour. Would be nice if somebody can make a quick instruction how to assign the textures correctly.

Regrads,
    Vikus

looks nice !
    hope you can solve the last problems.

Has someone an idea how to do it right now?