Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: EditSF 1.1 - Added Array Editing

Default EditSF 1.1 - Added Array Editing

EditSF

Here's the editor for CA's esf format; most prominently the startpos.esf (also, battle replay files).

Latest update:
    Several people were asking about enabling editing of arrays, I included it now.
    It worked in all tests I could think of and a preliminary beta build... Let's hope for the best

Download here.
    Unpack to install.

If you come across any problems, let me know.

Version 1.1.1, 12.10.2013
    - Fixed changes in optimized node types not being applied

Previous Versions

Version 1.1, 11.10.2013
    - Added editing of array types

Version 1.0.8, 29.09.2013
    - Added "Bookmarks" feature

Version 1.0.7, 09.10.2012
    - "Move" Record entry node added

Version 1.0.6, 27.07.2012
    - "Copy" Record entry node added
    - "Delete" Record entry node added
    - Tuple editing fixed
    - string editing in ABCD/ABCE ESF files fixed

Version 1.0.5, 02.05.2012
    - fixed reverting of file back to original when saved twice.

Version 1.0.4, 20.04.2012
    - repaired the previously erroneous parsing of unoptimized section nodes
    - fixed the indication of modified nodes (tree view)

Version 1.0.3, 19.04.2012
    - huge performance increase upon load and save
    (looks unstable, took down the link)

Version 1.0.2, 16.04.2012
    - corrected array types
    - reintroduced always encoding in minimal size, works fine

Version 1.0.1, 15.04.2012
    - changed array type of compressed section to unsigned as set by game

Version 1.0, 13.04.2012:
    - supports ABCE, ABCF, and the new (FotS) ABCA file format
    - allows loading, editing and saving changes to (non-array) values within the ESFs
    - recompresses ABCA files' compressed section on save

Last edited by daniu; October 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Default Re: EditSF 1.0.8 - Added Bookmarks feature

I don't suppose anybody has or knows where to find a list of the effects you can input in the CAMPAIGN_EFFECT_BUNDLES tree when editing saves (like p_research or p_call_to_arms in Shogun 2)?
    They seem to work differently to Shogun 2 in that you can stack them with additional effects, and it's quite hard to work out what goes in what box and which number means whatever. Without unpacking it seems this method doesn't quite meet up with the options when using EditSF, or at least it's not clear enough for me to understand which is reasonable to assume as I'm generally at a loss about most things.

I'm assuming that EFFECT_BUNDLE_BLOCK - # \ CAMPAIGN_EFFECT_BUNDLE shows a simple effect and turns. I'm not so sure what to make of ADDITIONAL_EFFECTS \ ADDITIONAL_EFFECT, it seems like you get an effect, a variable (i.e. affecting provinces or regions etc.), and two numbers that control something; one must control the amount, the other I have no idea about.

After I've downloaded the tool and unpacked it should the startpos.esf open automatically? because it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcan View Post
    After I've downloaded the tool and unpacked it should the startpos.esf open automatically? because it isn't
    You'll need to find it, it's in \Total War ROME II\data\campaigns\main_rome

Seems like there's a list of the effects under data_rome2.pack \ db \ effect_bundles_tables, I hope sticking some of those in will have an effect and not bork my save.

I've found the .esf file, but I can't open it, even after I downloaded the EditSf.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcan View Post
    I've found the .esf file, but I can't open it, even after I downloaded the EditSf.
    Are you opening it inside of EditSF or trying to open it with EditSF? You need to open EditSF first (make sure it's extracted too) then go file => open => [navigate to data\campaigns\main_rome] startpos.esf, at least I think that's how you do it, if that doesn't work I have no idea.

I'm new to this -_-

Has anyone managed to successfully play out a campaign with a modified save file? All of my edited campaigns crash around 20 turns in. My un-edited campaigns play out fine.

If it is worth noting, I only edit the number of units allowed in an army from 20 to 40. No other changes.

Default Re: EditSF 1.1 - Added Array Editing

I downloaded the EditSF file linked by the OP, unzipped it, launched the program, opened the startpos.esf file in the Rome II ... ect ... Main Rome folder, located the calendar value for changing turns per year (by looking at an existing mod for TPY in EditSF), changed the value, saved... but nothing changes. Doesn't matter how many times I open the file, change the value and save it, when I close the file and then open it again, it has remained unchanged. It appears to be unchangeable.

Ok, I moved it out of the game's folder, to a new folder on the desktop, and it worked there. I'm using Win 7.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 21, 2022 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Double post.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mephalamos View Post
    Has anyone managed to successfully play out a campaign with a modified save file? All of my edited campaigns crash around 20 turns in. My un-edited campaigns play out fine.

If it is worth noting, I only edit the number of units allowed in an army from 20 to 40. No other changes.

I have been wondering about this myself...I get crashes only on modded save-games with 12 turns per year and 100 unit armies. This worked pre-patch on release with EditSF version 1.0.7
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Thanks for this great tool! Is there any possibility doing a string search yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere SOG View Post
    I have been wondering about this myself...I get crashes only on modded save-games with 12 turns per year and 100 unit armies. This worked pre-patch on release with EditSF version 1.0.7
    It's not the EditSF version, the 1.0.8 update is purely UI (the bookmarks menu).

Quote Originally Posted by Styrry View Post
    Thanks for this great tool! Is there any possibility doing a string search yet?
    No, but it's a good idea, I'll see if I can put that in.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

I'm supernew to modding and am trying to get going with the startpos.esf. What I'm wondering currently is what the value System.Byte[] is. So from my programming experience I'd think it's a byte array. So System.Byte[8] might be an array of 8 bytes? If so how can I access this elements within EditSF?

I've dl the file put it into my main rome file but when i try to open it the program crashes what am I doing wrong?

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks, Daniu! I appreciate your response and the continued work you do for all of us.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Okay I just uploaded a new EditSF version allowing editing of arrays.
    Edit at your own risk.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    I downloaded the EditSF file linked by the OP, unzipped it, launched the program, opened the startpos.esf file in the Rome II ... ect ... Main Rome folder, located the calendar value for changing turns per year (by looking at an existing mod for TPY in EditSF), changed the value, saved... but nothing changes. Doesn't matter how many times I open the file, change the value and save it, when I close the file and then open it again, it has remained unchanged. It appears to be unchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    Ok, I moved it out of the game's folder, to a new folder on the desktop, and it worked there. I'm using Win 7.
    I encountered the same problem on EditSF 1.1; changes I made to CAMPAIGN_CALENDAR always reverts back to 1. But unlike you, moving the files to a new folder didn't make a difference for me--I'm still stuck with one turn per year.

Okay, I was able to edit CAMPAIGN_CALENDAR value from 1 to 2 using EditSF 1.0.8, but EditSF1.1 still doesn't work. Seems like something broke...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 21, 2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Double post.

Hmmm I did come across that issue but thought I fixed it, will revisit it when I have time.
    Try saving to another file, does that work?
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Nope, it's really strange. It will 'save' as 4 and switch from red to black, but if you ever re-open the saved file (under any alternate name or saveas either) it will have reverted back to '1' in the file it actually outputs. Other changes - start date right under the same header etc - will save fine. Just not turns per year.
    Last edited by boxo; October 12, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Okay, I fixed the issue; uploaded EditSF 1.1.1.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast