Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

Default Re: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

When i open the data_rome2.pack all of the tables are in either red or blue and it will not let me view them what does this mean?

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pack...2.zip/download

Unzip into PFM directory. It will ask to overwrite 5 files, yes to all.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

thanks for the help

Hi, I need some help. I just downloaded PFM and I am wondering how to "edit" a mod on the workshop like Kazel's Romans.

Here's what I want done:

1) I want to change the Legionary cohort variant mesh so that they do not wear italic helmets, just Gallic helmets.
    2) Revert the shield of the Eagle Cohort so that it is just the Vanilla shield, not Kazel's shield design.

- Now, I have taken some advice already and deleted the italic helmet from the "models." However, when I play the game, the legionaries only wear the Gallic helmet (which is what I wanted) and the legionaries that would wear the italic helmet just wear nothing.

How can I make it so that all of the legionaries wear the Gallic helmet?

A step-by-step tutorial would be much appreciated if someone would be kind enough to do that. You would receive my gracious thanks.
    -Nick

I just want the ability to copy and paste a pack file over the existing pack file so that I don't have to go through the hassle of using a 3rd party tool to enable the mod.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Republican View Post
    Hi, I need some help. I just downloaded PFM and I am wondering how to "edit" a mod on the workshop like Kazel's Romans.

Here's what I want done:

1) I want to change the Legionary cohort variant mesh so that they do not wear italic helmets, just Gallic helmets.
    2) Revert the shield of the Eagle Cohort so that it is just the Vanilla shield, not Kazel's shield design.

- Now, I have taken some advice already and deleted the italic helmet from the "models." However, when I play the game, the legionaries only wear the Gallic helmet (which is what I wanted) and the legionaries that would wear the italic helmet just wear nothing.

How can I make it so that all of the legionaries wear the Gallic helmet?

A step-by-step tutorial would be much appreciated if someone would be kind enough to do that. You would receive my gracious thanks.
    -Nick
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-Assembly-Kit

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-unit-with-PFM
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Snaptrap View Post
    I just want the ability to copy and paste a pack file over the existing pack file so that I don't have to go through the hassle of using a 3rd party tool to enable the mod.

I'm not sure I understand, but I'll flail in the dark and attempt to explain anyway

3rd Party Tool
    What tool are you referring to here? PFM is for editing only, not enabling mods. You can use either CA's launcher (which has inbuilt mod management) or .Mitch.'s mod manager (bit less fluff, bit more functionality...), but you have to use one or the other anyway to launch the game, so I don't see quite what the issue is here.

Copy and Paste
    Nothing and noone is stopping you from editing data_rome2 directly, it's just advised against in very strong terms. I must point out that there are several flaws with this approach that are the cause for this advisement.
    A) Any patch will overwrite your changes and require you to start from scratch
    B) Reverting changes in the case of errors can be quite frustrating

By seperating your modified data from the vanilla data, you remove both these issues at once. Your packs are not affected by patches (although some changes may be required to keep up with CA's format), and reverting changes is as simple as disabling/removing your mod from the data folder.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I think he/she means like in the old ways mods are made, by overwriting the data files. Wouldn't work with newer games.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Ah, that makes a bit more sense if you're correct. It *would* work with the newer modular structure, *but* only once development is 100% complete and patching is a thing of the past (and even then, you still don't have the ability to easily revert changes). Keeping everything seperate is so much easier

Stupid question, but when I want to create a mod, which datas (or packs or files ?) do I have to chose when there opens the window "open pack to extract basic data from"?

Normally, data_rome2.pack ->db. That's where all the database files are.
    If you want to change text descriptions and such, local_en_rome2.pack -> text -> db is your first place to look

oh, I see. ^^ In this file are so many mods and other stuff, so that I didn't see it.
    Thank you

I have another question to the pfm:
    In the assembly kit are some tables (especially start_pos-tables) which are lacking in the pfm.
    Why aren't they present in the pfm? Are they unnecessary or why are they lacking?

(I ask this because I would need some of this start_pos-tables for my mod)

The startpos tables in DAVe are their raw form that the developers use. When they get cooked for distribution, they become a single massive structure called the startpos.esf which is really awkward to edit.

If you need to edit something in it, I would recommend strongly that you make startpos edits in the assembly kit. Cook it up with just the startpos files (it will start up the game to do this) and then extract startpos.esf and add it to your pack. If you want to keep just to PFM, find the file startpos.esf under campaigns -> main_rome (for the main_campaign) IIRC

maybe someone here can help me out im trying to mod etw with pfm 3.2.1 I followed the steps and everything went fine and the only change I made was in patch.pack db unit_stats_land_table I only changed 1 unit size from 160 to 200 then I save it and install it but when I start the game it crashes every time and when I delete my mod game starts up fine maybe im missing something any help would be great thanks

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Hi! I am having a problem with this: when I want to install the mod it says that it cannot do it because the file is in use by another program and it shows me a big error window and all I can see is that it constantly refers to mod manager. What could it be?
    RTWRM - back to basics

To be honest I have no idea. A picture of the error message would be the most helpful (and that would also recieve more relevant attention in the PFM thread).

Greetings!
    Great work. Thanks really. I have quick question though. I downloaded the latest version of PFM 3.2.1. I am applying the steps for NTW. But it is not working for me. What am I missing?
    Thanks again for your time.

In what way is it not working for you? I would guess that you're having problems editing tables because you haven't selected NTW as the game the tables originate from (Open PFM -> "Game" menu -> select NTW), but unless I know what issue you're actually experiencing I can't really help...

I've got a quick question (and I'm sure it's an uber-noob question, so sorry in advance lol). Anyway, there's a mod I really want to try out, but it hasn't been updated for a while, and it causes my game to ctd any time I start a battle. I've got the mod, and I've got the pfm, and I'd like to just update it to the latest patch myself, but I can't find instructions anywhere on how to do that, and I don't see anything obvious like "update mod to latest patch."

I've tried making a new mod with the same name (just adding a "2" to the end of it) and then importing all the files from the actual mod, then installing it, but same ctd problem. I'm sure I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but I don't know what it is. I'd also rather just use the author's own update (since it's his mod), but until he does update it (if he does) I'd still like to be able to use it on my own game (obviously not planning on uploading anything I do with it since it's not mine to upload, but would like to be able to use it).

Can you explain how to just update a mod for the latest patch? Because honestly I haven't got the slightest clue what it entails (like editing individual cells with data values, or just a quick "update mod" button)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast