Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The AI should get food bonus

Default The AI should get food bonus

it looks like half of the AI factions are starving to death and once some faction is starving they never get out of it in my campaign the only faction that had starvation and managed to solve it somehow was seleucid empire the rest just stayed like that untill they got eliminated

the food bonus should be like this IMO for every food building in Normal difficult AI get +25% on hard +50% on VH +100% on legendary +150%

Default Re: The AI should get food bonus

I don't think they changed the food in patch beta 3.0 but the AI seems to be avoiding starvation so far.

I thought AI did get little bonuses like that depending on the difficultly setting they are on? I never see the major factions starving, just those small tribe factions.

AI seems to make no effort whatsoever to rebalance buildings if it loses towns that were net food givers to it so it just ends up starving after it loses settlements with farms.

Small factions with only one or two settlements will tend to build up their towns so that they starve even without losing or gaining any settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by LSG View Post
    I thought AI did get little bonuses like that depending on the difficultly setting they are on? I never see the major factions starving, just those small tribe factions.
    I don't think they get a food bonus but I know plenty of minor factions get a coin bonus.

You can give the ai a food bonus with effect
    rom_tech_civil_economy_food_mod

in campaign_difficulty_handicap_tables

How would this help the fact that it just doesn't build food buildings?

200% of zero is still zero.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

I wouldn't be opposed to something like this... In my Carthage campaign, I just began my invasion of Italy expecting some pretty huge fights based on all the stacks I saw. Instead, most of the units are nearly depleted from the food shortage that seems to be hitting Italy, which makes me nervous about taking too many cities.

In towns I've taken over I find multiples of the same building type maxed out that chew food, like two temples in a 3 slot town. This is evidence that as people say the project was very incomplete when released. Total War hasn't had the food strategy in their games since the Shogun1 beta for all I know. I suppose playing the Romans I could just sit in Italy until the AI's destroyed themselves?
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    In towns I've taken over I find multiples of the same building type maxed out that chew food, like two temples in a 3 slot town. This is evidence that as people say the project was very incomplete when released. Total War hasn't had the food strategy in their games since the Shogun1 beta for all I know. I suppose playing the Romans I could just sit in Italy until the AI's destroyed themselves?
    Food was also in the base game for Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean951 View Post
    Food was also in the base game for Shogun 2.
    Right, I never got S2 until it was on sale. I think the fields where only giving a growth bonus by the time I played it.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

No, the AI should be made smart enough to understand that if it builds x building with only y amount of food then starvation will occur and it should avoid that.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It's not about building buildings. It's about revamping provinces after territory is lost or gained. Grab an economic center with public order buildings as well? The AI can't deal with that.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

wrong thread, delete please.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; September 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Two changes needed to the AI:

A) Can demolish/convert buildings causing problems
    B) Doesn't upgrade buildings whenever it has a chance

The second is the main problem. Take over a settlement after turn 100 and check the level of all the buildings. There's normally atleast one tier 4, and 1-2 tier 3 buildings. Combined with the inability to correct its food/happiness state, this is causing the AI huge problems.

I can make a province that has all tier 3/4 buildings, but it'll be eating 40+ food from elsewhere in the empire (and the AI builds all its provinces like that). If the AI learns moderation, it could reduce this issue quite a lot.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Shaio View Post
    How would this help the fact that it just doesn't build food buildings?

200% of zero is still zero.
    I think it gives a flat out bonus of food from out of thin air. While testing I gave myself 500 food. I have set to give the AI +40 per town. Do you think this is enough?
    Last edited by hellblazer; September 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellblazer View Post
    You can give the ai a food bonus with effect
    rom_tech_civil_economy_food_mod

in campaign_difficulty_handicap_tables
    How precisely do you do this?

Use pack file manager and in db campaign_difficulty_handicap_tables there is a chart with these number and different values. Click use combobox cells. In the drop down you will see various effects. In the row you cloned or added for the AI you select the food mod. In the effect scope you can select in_all_your_regions. Then enter like 50 for + 50 food in each AI region.

True = Player
    For the player: -3 = legendary, -2 = very hard, -1 = hard, 0 = normal, 1 = easy

False = The AI
    For the AI: -1 = easy, 0 = normal, 1 = hard, 2 = very hard, 3 = legendary

Ok, my earlier post spoke a bit to soon. It seems the AI can keep itself from starving, as long as they don't lose any cities. Seems while they while they fixed the causal starvation, they still haven't fixed the lack of reaction to changing factors.

Or they could program the CAI to correctly analyze it's food expenditure and plan out some sort of food system as fit? I understand applying certain bonuses to the AI, given it will never be on the same level as a player, though simply giving them a massive food bonus is just a lazy way of cutting corners on an already streamlined game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast