Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: All capture/victory points removed

Default Re: All capture/victory points removed

Quote Originally Posted by OSDEA7 View Post
    I have no problem downloading the OB file but neither of the VP file downloads will work.
    It is a TWCenter issue, bandwith/hardware. Try using the back-up Sendspace link instead, it has all three versions inside. Only use one.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

if this mod works, it needs to be stickied on top of the general forums with huuuuuge big red bolded title.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Finally got rid of them! tack sĺ mycket!

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Siege battle with naval assault. Siege was long and without critical flag point the AI focused its units to make me no enter from the gates. Still AI was able to not completely be attacked by the back sending some units to resist on the new assault inside the city. Battle ended after 30 minutes with a no reasonable victory by my side. I've used your mod combined with LINES OF BATTLE. Better result of this combined mods on pure traditional land battle. Would be GREA A LEGACY between YOU, RADIOUS (its BAI is also good) and modders from Lines of Battle mod. I think your mod is the KEY for other modders working on BAI. I'm going to share your mod on Lines of battle mod to report. Thanks and keep 'n touch!

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Thanks, definitely interested in removing these from all field battles, but would want to keep in cities!

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

ok, now it dosnt work. What could be the problem? radius mods?

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    Siege battle with naval assault. Siege was long and without critical flag point the AI focused its units to make me no enter from the gates. Still AI was able to not completely be attacked by the back sending some units to resist on the new assault inside the city. Battle ended after 30 minutes with a no reasonable victory by my side. I've used your mod combined with LINES OF BATTLE. Better result of this combined mods on pure traditional land battle. Would be GREA A LEGACY between YOU, RADIOUS (its BAI is also good) and modders from Lines of Battle mod. I think your mod is the KEY for other modders working on BAI. I'm going to share your mod on Lines of battle mod to report. Thanks and keep 'n touch!
    Came on here to post pretty much exactly this. Been island hopping as Athens, taking out Knossos and Rhodos with a bunch of hoplites and a fleet made up of archers and siege. Really impressive how much more willing the AI is to defend when it isn't confused by capture points. Similarly using Lines of Battle and Radious AI and a bunch of other little mods. Lines of Battle seems to slow things down much more effectively than any other battle mod. Really turned this game around from my first battle of Rome 2 which lasted about 3.5 minutes yet somehow involved the death of about 3000 men on either side.

Read a lot of things from people saying that the changes CA made with Patch 3 are enough of a change with regards to capture points, but I gotta disagree with what I've seen so far. Much better to get rid of all of them. And I certainly don't mind not being able to capture gates. I like giant holes in walls much better.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Quote Originally Posted by hobozero View Post
    Came on here to post pretty much exactly this. Been island hopping as Athens, taking out Knossos and Rhodos with a bunch of hoplites and a fleet made up of archers and siege. Really impressive how much more willing the AI is to defend when it isn't confused by capture points. Similarly using Lines of Battle and Radious AI and a bunch of other little mods. Lines of Battle seems to slow things down much more effectively than any other battle mod. Really turned this game around from my first battle of Rome 2 which lasted about 3.5 minutes yet somehow involved the death of about 3000 men on either side.

Read a lot of things from people saying that the changes CA made with Patch 3 are enough of a change with regards to capture points, but I gotta disagree with what I've seen so far. Much better to get rid of all of them. And I certainly don't mind not being able to capture gates. I like giant holes in walls much better.

Loving the old way, man: big holes on the walls, no silly torchbearers flaming the bronze as it is wood from Ikea. Sadly I've noticed with patch 3 CA makes "testudo" to defend Capure point feature (they doubled again time to capture these flags but the problem is mainly HOW the AI can mantain an intelligent attitude against the player and at the SAME TIME defend capture point. This feature could be interesting but ONLY supported by the STRONGEST CA BAI we never experienced in a tw game). For second CA makes easier and faster to burn doors sending us the message also this feature would not be abandoned (HELL! OK, I can accept this feature but they could easily make it works ONLY for wooden doors in minor settlements..it would be a good deal but no eh no no, too easy diplomatic intelligent solution. No way. Respect to them, but I'm disappointed). AFTER ALL: Y E S MAN. Battle are longer and with CA parallel work on AI and Radious/Lines of battle mods growing during next time we can still hope in a good BAI. (PS: I like giant hole in the walls especially with Rome II, cause of the excellent cities and the good mechanics of stones crumbling).

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    ok, now it dosnt work. What could be the problem? radius mods?
    I don't know what your problem is but it is not radious I use all of radious mods and they all work just fine together.

I also was able to do a bit more varied of a fight a little further into the game with a bit better built army and seen a bit of a disappointment I really seen it when I did a battle with a comp ally. Was able to really was was disapointing They all charged through one street in a town everything charged in archers calv melee while they were no longer pushing and dieing it was a bit disappointing to watch all the archers and such charging down a funnel they killed the enemy but lost a ton of units to accomplish it.

A step up from flags but when the offensive comp did that the defensive did not get much of a chance for any tactics when being rushed like that.

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Nice mod man. Congrats. Now how hard do you think it would have been for CA to add an on/off switch in the options menu. Unbelievable.

johan_d's Avatar Civis

Works very well indeed.. just try the Carthago battle..
    AI lays ambushes, traps, hold reinforcements back, very nice battles!

Great to hear guys! Glad I could be of help. And now I need help from some of you. I'm working on a better version of the one that keeps the CP's, but I need savegames with forces that is within striking distance of large walled cities with Persian or Egyptian style walls. Preferably by those running the Live 2 patch, but I can take the beta 3 ones and just wait for Live 3 as well. But not those that use mods that add something completely new to the game as it would crash for me.

Persian and Egyptian walls, at the bigger levels, handles gate-towers a bit differently and I want to improve if possible.

There's a few versions for download now, but I must say that the one where there's no points at all for the AI to hold on to or capture is the one that works best for the BAI. One sad truth to this is towers are not useful any more, but I've got an idea that I'm working on. I feel like Charlie Chaplin in that movie Modern Times, as I've done a lot of repetitive keyboard-strokes lately. My left hand just needed a rest last night, severe cramp.

Links updated 06.05.13

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Heh, I'm actually seeing more of the AI running up to my line and then running away again. You can see this very same problem in Angry Joe's AI Review. AI units just get pelted every battle with arrows and javelins. I don't think I saw it as much using Rome before. This whole AI system is such garbage. And there's nothing we can do about it except wait for more db tables to be released.
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; September 22, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

I tried that and all that site wants to do is dump a whole lot of crap in my computer. I just want the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad213Boy View Post
    Heh, I'm actually seeing more of the AI running up to my line and then running away again. You can see this very same problem in Angry Joe's AI Review. AI units just get pelted every battle with arrows and javelins. I don't think I saw it as much using Rome before. This whole AI system is such garbage. And there's nothing we can do about it except wait for more db tables to be released.
    Yeah, I had that a lot in vanilla open-field battle. As long as the AI has nothing to protect, and if you have superior strength, it can some times happen. Not always though. I just fought an insane battle where I had two stacks and the AI had three. I won, but only 5 units remained from one stack and 3 from the other. The AI sure didn't run away from anything then.

@OSDAE7

Then you just have to try, try and re-try the TWCenter link until it works. In the end it will. I reckon TWCenter should have new hardware up and running soon, but not soon enough.

Links updated 06.05.13

Here's a mirror for those having issues with TWC and Sendspace

Complete Pack

Remember to use only 1.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Senator

ive tried the mod and i havent seen any major differences in ai behavior tbh. the ai still rushes your units when besieging your walled settlements which i thought would be eliminated by the removal of capture points but nope.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Tested it. The Ai still rushes into your front lines when going through the gates. Like they're still moving towards the invisible capture point that has been removed.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

And also it still appears in mixed land and coastal battles

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Tested it. The Ai still rushes into your front lines when going through the gates. Like they're still moving towards the invisible capture point that has been removed.

Yes, if they burn down your gates they will rush through. This mod does not alter BAI but makes it easier for those that do edit the BAI to let the AI do better judgement calls. It also has to do with recruitment, as the vanilla AI tend to recruit loads of ranged infantry and few heavy siege weapons. So they burn gates. I have on three occasions met AI with heavy siege and that plays out differently, more like earlier incarnations of TW.

To be frank, I actually think Medieval Total War II had the best, when modified, siege AI. Both ways. I besieged, and put my troops strategically around with ladders, catapults and whatnot. The AI spread their forces around so they were covered on all sides. If I started to tear down a wall, the AI moved their units down from the wall and prepared for the assault.

So to sum up Rome II's challenges. The BAI needs to have more options programmed in to it when it is assaulting cities, and this is tied in to lots of campaign DB-files. If CA won't fix it, mods will. Be sure. Also, the best version of this mod here is the one that totally removes all CP/VP when the BAI is concerned. You'll lose towers, but they weren't working great anyhow and won't do much towards the AI. As long as the AI has some kind of point it can capture or prevent from being captured it will deviate and try to do so.

Links updated 06.05.13