Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MASSALIA - Faction Unit Pack - Updated 28/10/2013 for Patch 5 Compatibility (courtesy of Gavitron)

Foederatus

Default MASSALIA - Faction Unit Pack - Updated 28/10/2013 for Patch 5 Compatibility (courtesy of Gavitron)

MASSALIA
    Unit Pack

Massalia has always been a favorite of mine. It's an incredibly unique scenario - a Greek city-state in the middle of southern Gaul that survived until Pompey's war with Caesar. The faction exists in Rome, but is poorly represented, so I've decided to add a few units that I think suit it well. It should make playing the faction a lot more interesting. Units are both historically inspired and some of my own creation.

Some quick history - Massalia was founded most probably by Ionian Greek settlers from the city-state of Phocaea in Anatolia in 600 BC. From there it exploded into one of the most affluent trade cities in the Mediterranean. Though it had problems early on from invading Ligurian and Iberian tribes, the Massalians were able to withstand attacks from all sides. Eventually, the city allied itself with the growing Roman Republic, and was an important naval ally during the Punic Wars. We know for certain that the Massalians had extensive trade with local Celtic tribes, and numerous burial sites have revealed Ionian wares as far north as the British Isles. Massalia also had a strong tradition of seamanship, and her explorers, most notably Pytheas, were some of the first in the world to map the British Isles and the Baltic Sea, sailing as far north as the Artic circle. The city would remain independent until it sided with Pompey in the civil war, a decision that would spell disaster and eventually end Massalia's independence.

Why Massalia and not Massilia? Massilia is the Roman spelling, Massalia is Greek. Obviously in our scenario, Massalia is still independent.

Massalian Hoplites (With Naval Version)
    Massalia continues to fight in the traditional Hellenic style. Too far from Macedon to have adopted the Sarissa, Massalian hoplites continue to form powerful hoplite phalanxes to defend their city from barbarians. Plentiful trading with nearby celtic tribes like the Segobriges have brought a flow of wealth and new equipment into the city. Massalian Hoplites wear celtic-style iron mail and use a variety of helmets, but still wield a hoplon and spear. Some hoplites choose to wear fine patterned cloths purchased from celtic weavers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Massalian Swordsmen (With Naval Version)
    Ongoing wars with hostile Celtic tribes have forced flexibility into the tactics and strategies of Massalian generals. Massalian Swordsmen are a natural development designed to fight blade to blade with ferocious barbarians. Massalian Celts and Greeks together in these formations, wielding the Grecian Kopis and Celtic Iron Longswords with a variety of shields. Protected with fine Celto-Hellenic mail hauberks, these warriors are a formidable fighting force.

Celto-Hellenic Citizen Hoplites

A substantial number of celts form the population of Massalia, and have significantly influenced her culture. These men stand side by side with their Greek counterparts to form citizen hoplite formations when Massalia needs them most.

Massalian Adventurers (With Naval Version)
    Following in the footsteps of Pytheas and Euthymenes, these proud Massalians seek to find fortune, fame, glory, and new lands in their travels. They are skilled sailors and archers, and provide the Massalian army with trained archers.

Massalian Shield Cavalry
    During the second Punic war, Massalia allied herself with the Roman Republic against the Carthaginians. A valued ally, Roman historians credited Massalia with decisive cavalry attacks during the battle of Rhone Crossing. These fine horsemen are armed with Celtic longswords and light Aspis shields, and can dash aside light and medium infantry with ease.

Massalian Royal Guard
    The vast wealth from trade has created a very rich nobility in the city. These nobles hire the finest warriors as bodyguards and provide them with the finest equipment Massalia has to offer. The result is a battle-hardened and dangerous hoplite formation that can stand up to the best the Celts have to offer.

Nikaian Peltasts
    Like their Ionian founders, Massalians are a pioneering peoples, and have founded many cities across the western Mediterranean. One of those is the city of Nikaia, named after Nike, the goddess of victory for the Massalian triumph over the Ligurian tribes. Nikaians are a hardy people and make for fine soldiers. These peltasts wear linothorax and mail, and are equally skilled with javelin and sword.

Emporion Pikemen
    In northern Iberia rests the largest Hellenic colony on the peninsula - Emporion. This trade hub is a powerful Massalian colony, and wares travel from North Africa to Rome through her ports. However, the jealous Carthaginians look to Emporion with greed, and have pushed their influence farther north into Iberia. Copying the long spear formations of the Carthaginians, Emporion provides the Massalian army with a reliable, if expensive, Macedonian-style phalanx.

Updated 28/10/2013 - Version 3.5, Fixed Compatibility

DOWNLOAD:
    Updated version for patch 5 courtesy of Gavitron: http://gmillar.com/Massaliav3patch5.pack

INSTALLATION: Simply drop into your "Steam/SteamApps/Common/Total War Rome II/data" folder.
    !! REQUIRED MODS:
    Faction Unlocker,
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ted-17-9-2013)
    Rome II Mod Manager !!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...36-Mod-Manager
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; October 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Foederatus

Default Re: MASSALIA - Faction Unit Pack

Sorry guys, the forum won't let me post my images for some reason. I think it's because I don't have enough posts.

Fixed!
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:42 AM.

Upload them to some web like imageshack and link them!

really nice krazysigmarite and the info very interesting thank you for sharing;P

Foederatus

Going to try to post images here.

**ADDED TO OP**
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Foederatus

Celto-Hellenic Citizen Hoplites

Massalian Adventurers

**ADDED TO OP**
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:47 AM.

Foederatus

screenshots

**ADDED TO OP**
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:48 AM.

Good Job and thank you for the mod! Massalia is also one of my favorite faction. I was disheartened by their crappy faction roster.

BTW, can you please add roman auxilia mail (lorica hamata) in addition to celtic mail for Massalian Hoplite, Massalian Shield Calvary, and Massalian Swordman? Roman Mail look much better and resemble linothorax

Foederatus

That's a really good idea. I do like the look of the Roman chainmail, I think there might even be a hellenic style in the files that resembles the cut of the Linothorax as well. I'll take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by krazysigmarite View Post
    That's a really good idea. I do like the look of the Roman chainmail, I think there might even be a hellenic style in the files that resembles the cut of the Linothorax as well. I'll take a look!
    Yay! cant wait for the update!

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Good one, am downloading now.

All the units look fantastic!

Wow this is great, now i'll finish my Massalian campaign (got bored of their dull roster). Thanks!

Umbrecht's Avatar Libertus

Hello Krazy! Great mod!

Please contact Izanagi or TuranianGhazi , we need Your Help with this mod, :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ated-17-9-2013)

It will be great if You can find some time to create few specified unit packs for any faction, any help will be great! Please join us!

This is exactly what I like to see, the lil' factions getting love. Definitely adding this one. With any luck, each of the 100-odd throwaway factions in the game will get interesting rosters so we're not fighting the same barbarian slinger armies the entire game.

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

These units look amazing! +rep

Foederatus

Hey guys, here's a new version with some balance changes! I've poked around with the costs a bit and added more units to city garrisons. Further, two new units added to the roster!

New look: Massalian Hoplites, Shield Cavalry, and Swordsmen wearing Greek 'Hamata' and Celtic Mail

**ADDED TO OP**
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:48 AM.

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

amazing work!!

Those units look great, I've got one suggestion though:
    Some of them are carrying British shields. I think it would be more suitable for them to just carry mainland Celtic round shields, Celtic oval shields and Greek Thureoses.
    500 - Internal Server Error

Foederatus

New Units:

Nikaian Peltasts
    Like their Ionian founders, Massalians are a pioneering peoples, and have founded many cities across the western Mediterranean. One of those is the city of Nikaia, named after Nike, the goddess of victory for the Massalian triumph over the Ligurian tribes. Nikaians are a hardy people and make for fine soldiers. These peltasts wear linothorax and mail, and are equally skilled with javelin and sword.

Emporion Pikemen
    In northern Iberia rests the largest Hellenic colony on the peninsula - Emporion. This trade hub is a powerful Massalian colony, and wares travel from North Africa to Rome through her ports. However, the jealous Carthaginians look to Emporion with greed, and have pushed their influence farther north into Iberia. Copying the long spear formations of the Carthaginians, Emporion provides the Massalian army with a reliable, if expensive, Macedonian-style phalanx.

**ADDED TO OP**
    Last edited by krazysigmarite; September 20, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast