Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TOG's Art Dump

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: TOG's Art Dump

I would feed the dirty prostitute to it, then run for the door. I know that scenario cost extra in the back alleys of Bangkok but there isn't enough alchol in the south pacific.....

Freaking amazing work TOG! Please keep posting your work for us to worship.

+rep

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

Anyhow someone (you know who you are ) linked me to their mod and out of good cheer I've started to work on something for them along with other characters. Here is generic western European peasant shirt 1:

The bottom shirt is at a 1024 resolution while the top is at a 512 resolution. How the object is UV mapped in reality is only using 1024x512 for the high res instead of 1024x1024.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Now, you're exciting my curiosity
    If I get it right, the texture file is 1024x1024 instead 512x512. So, that gives you all the "space" you need for unit and accessories beside a higher resolution as well. That also mean less entries in the modeldb file and so, less chance for mistakes.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that the M2TW engine could handle such a file. I need to test that to see the result in game. Many thanks for sharing that trick

Btw, I had a look on the tools you mentioned previously. I wish I could afford them and have a descent PC to use them. We definitively don't work in the same category

As y2day said, thanks for sharing the results of your work. Keep it up!
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Now, you're exciting my curiosity
    If I get it right, the texture file is 1024x1024 instead 512x512. So, that gives you all the "space" you need for unit and accessories beside a higher resolution as well. That also mean less entries in the modeldb file and so, less chance for mistakes.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that the M2TW engine could handle such a file. I need to test that to see the result in game. Many thanks for sharing that trick

Btw, I had a look on the tools you mentioned previously. I wish I could afford them and have a descent PC to use them. We definitively don't work in the same category

As y2day said, thanks for sharing the results of your work. Keep it up!
    Modders work on 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 textures in M2TW engine for years now...
    @ThatOtherGuy
    Interesting detail og the cloth creation.
    I would sugest to keep body, ,legs textures minimal and add 3d parts on the model as accesories.

Here is an example:

Nottice that , just like your texture the only "belt" that is not 3d is the one on the model's waist.
    Everything else is 3d.
    My PC is more than 4 years old..
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I feel like an homo neanderthalensis living in the present days now
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

Anyhow someone (you know who you are ) linked me to their mod and out of good cheer I've started to work on something for them along with other characters. Here is generic western European peasant shirt 1:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The bottom shirt is at a 1024 resolution while the top is at a 512 resolution. How the object is UV mapped in reality is only using 1024x512 for the high res instead of 1024x1024.
    Guilty as charged!!

Have you ever made a model for the M2TW engine and ported it in-game?

What kind of resolution would you need to make something like this in proportional detail?

Also, in the same 1024x1024 texture map I squeezed all the heads below.
    What kind of file would you need for them?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    @ThatOtherGuy
    Interesting detail og the cloth creation.
    I would sugest to keep body, ,legs textures minimal and add 3d parts on the model as accesories.

Here is an example:

Nottice that , just like your texture the only "belt" that is not 3d is the one on the model's waist.
    Everything else is 3d.
    My PC is more than 4 years old..
    Oh I've understood the idea of what to model and what not to model when it comes to texture limitations/polygon limitations for years. The best solution I have followed is always with a proper normal map. Nvidia's filter normal map actually looks like crap in game engine despite what people said. I used a normal map made by Crazy bump once and not only it looked better but it worked just fine without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Guilty as charged!!

Have you ever made a model for the M2TW engine and ported it in-game?

What kind of resolution would you need to make something like this in proportional detail?

Also, in the same 1024x1024 texture map I squeezed all the heads below.
    What kind of file would you need for them?

If you made several model variations and also added all of those heads on there then that is going to cause detail loss due to a cramped texture space with so many things requiring larger texture space to look nice. My advice is follow the rules of three: a minimum of three body variations, three head variations, three arm variations and three leg variations. For a peasant you can do 5 head variations and an additional body variation along with a few accessories such as a bag and pouch.

Also for your face textures try finding face textures (or use an image program) without any light information (such as shadows and highlights). The light information in the texture does not like to play nice with the in game's lighting and makes the texture looking wonky.

Also if you want units with more texture detail then maybe you should split up armor upgrades as well. Instead of both heavy mail and light mail sharing one texture, put the two body types on different two 1024 textures. Also another idea is that use the main body texture for all things (mail, helmets, gloves, boots) except for heads. Put the heads in the accessories bin with the shields and stuff and reduce the accessory variation by half to make room. I mean you can have peasant bodies and use a accessory texture set for common units (units that don't use knightly weapons and such). Here's a crudely drawn example below to visualize my suggestion:

In other words the textures should use proper variation. Medieval II's vanilla's texture variation is cool and such but on observation it is a bit excessive for what is needed.

Also here is the albedo map (color map with no light information) below. It's a 1024 texture but I baked it out and uv mapped it so that I could also cram in another body texture. When scaled down it is only 512, a quarter space for a body texture. If I was doing only one upgrade for this body set I could scale it up more for more detail. It's all about how you optimize your space and what you are putting on it!

Normal map programms can offer realy good optical results.
    But no normal map can reach the "3d" apearence of an actuall 3d part.
    Despite the fact my Realism/Gravity project's tutorial is on halt...
    Model groups can offer a huge varietion in a unit with minimal textures.
    I explain.
    This unit:

Uses the same model with this one:

What actually changes is that some model groups have slightly diferent bone assignments to follow "gravity"!
    If you watch the 1st pic carefully you will nottice that some warriors use the same breast armor with diferent tunics.
    Also they use same swords with diferent sword scabbards...etc!
    Actually in my texture (1024x1024) there are ONLY for bodies!

The trick is in the 3d model and not in texture.
    The breast armor with its leather sleaves are diferent groups in the 3d model, leaving arms and lower bodies as other groups.
    The "unit" uses combilations of:
    4 breast armors, 4 tunics, 4 legs, 5 heads,5 helmets, 3 coifs, 2 belt bronches, 6 swords, 6 sword scabbards, 2 spears and 1 shield with 2 diferent bosses (only because the unit requires to have one shield). Can you calculate the varietions that game can create in one unit only?
    Other units use similar varietions with 6-12 shields!
    Textures and their normal maps are half of a unit's creation. Smart ideas can give your creations realistic apearences!
    You are a great texturer and modeler and i hope i helped a bit like i was helped by TGC/CBUR developing team some years ago.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

How many polycounts do you use in average for your models Anthonius?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    How many polycounts do you use in average for your models Anthonius?
    Cavalarii that use both active and passive swords have:
    Polys: 11461
    Vertices : 7141
    Distinct Vertices : 5913
    Our Cataphracts that use more 3d parts have:
    Polys: 17466
    Vertices : 11609
    Distinct Vertices : 10245
    Our Sholarii that have more 3d parts thanks to bow and arrow quivers and active/passive bows:
    Polys: 21281
    Vertices : 14632
    Distinct Vertices : 13067

Our tests with 4 armies in the field with large (in size) units in pcs of 4 years old shown no actuall trouble at all.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. Great units btw.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; October 04, 2015 at 04:13 PM.

After two days of not getting anything done, I have some progress. All I am missing is some hands, a few hats, a tweaking here and there, and then it should be done. Northern European Peasants

Very nice!
    Are they for a Star Trek mod?
    They look like Vulkan priests (I think).
    Last edited by paleologos; October 07, 2015 at 02:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Really nice stuff as usual. I'm always impressed by your textures.
    My only comment is that their pants look too modern (kind of Levi's 501 if you see what I mean).
    According to the peasant representations from that period, they should be more tied (or even absent - with a long shirt like the guy on the left) or slightly larger and straight, stopping just above the kneeves (for short pants) or above the ankles (long pants). But these appears later than the 1st example. Below, a few examples:

That's just my 2 cents

Great detail!

So I got some pretty nifty news for you all.

I have been recruited on Polycount by two teams to work on their games! Yeah!

One of them is a post apocalypse game while the other one is a medieval RTS game!

Anyhow does anyone know of a place to find visual reference of costumes and clothing between 1100 AD to 1250 AD? The lead designer says that the game is set around 1100 AD England, but he also said that we have some leniency in terms of historical accuracy.

Blog Entries

I hope they have offered you a good salary

More seriously, I use pics from Osprey Publishing book. You can find quite a lot of them on the Web.
    There are also some sources in that thread.

Hope it helps.

Edit: Looking through my archives, I found this one: http://www.heretic.faithweb.com/heretic.htm
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; October 15, 2015 at 06:24 AM.

FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I HAVE LAID DORMANT, AND NOW I HAVE RETURNED!!

Here's some work I am doing for a client for his RTS game. Here is some of the civilians I am working on.

These are some very nice looking models my friend.
    Could you give us some stats for them, like polygon and vertice numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    These are some very nice looking models my friend.
    Could you give us some stats for them, like polygon and vertice numbers?
    All the characters around 4.2k triangles and 3.8k triangles. They use a 2048 texture resolutions with a normal, ambient occlusion, gloss, metallic, and albedo maps. All of those maps are optimized for unreal 4.

I use those resolutions because the RTS game that me and Corvin are working on is more in line with a smaller scale RTS game that has a bit more focus in economics and such. Character count on screen I think is less than 400.