Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: TOG's Art Dump

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: TOG's Art Dump

Nice stuff as usual

Just to be pedantic again (can't help me, sorry ), the scorpion axeman should have his axe the other way around. I mean that it should have its blade heading about 30 or 45 degrees more to the back. Basically, when you're about to hit with an axe, that's how it should be. Try to reproduce the movement with a stick and you'll see what I mean

Regarding the video, that looks good. Once I've managed to change my old laptop with a better one, I hope to be able to try some other 3D soft like Blender for instance. I'm convinced that they can allowed better results than Milkshape 3D even for games such as M2TW.
    Since I'm using Photoshop, I can't use Gimp anymore
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

Hey thanks for the comments, sorry for the later replies. Here is a WIP. A combination of Destiny, Tron, and Jack Kirby stuff.

So my computer literally died on me the day before I did all my render shots. Luckily the hard drives were okay so restoring everything was not to much of a deal. However that delayed getting this character done by a week and a half. Here is some screenies below, the rest on my website:

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wow! This one is stunning!

Blog Entries

TOG, I'd appreciate if you could stop making us look like amateurs. Can you post some crap please?

On a serious note, very nice stuff as usual. Well done Mate
    And just to critic a very very little bit, a silhouette/figure more slender would have made her perfect but that's just my own taste. I like long legs

PS: hope your computer is fixed and works fine now
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

So it's been too long since the last post and the reason being was that I kind of hate posting WIP when there is a design change half way through or such. Anyhow here is a game character for a old school FPS that I am (slowly) working on. Probably the most complex monster of the game due to how many pieces he has on him. Also I have not put him on my Portfolio yet.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Nice piece TOG, my only observation is that the skin looks a bit shinier than what I would expect - but that's just me.
    How long woulg it take you to make this if you were working on it 24/7?
    Did you make every bit of it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Nice piece TOG, my only observation is that the skin looks a bit shinier than what I would expect - but that's just me.
    How long woulg it take you to make this if you were working on it 24/7?
    Did you make every bit of it yourself?
    I Kind of like the shiny skin. Makes it less human.

In terms of if I was working on it straight, the compressed time would be probably 100 hours, less if things go according to plan. But on a casual schedule of two to three hours a day it's about 3 weeks, which is not unusual for this kind of production. RTS characters I did in the past were much less time due to less detail needed and the simplicity of the low poly module. This guy took much longer because he had so many more parts to him and also the first anatomy pass I did on him I did not feel like it was up to par, so I redid that. I mean, most people freak out about the time, but if you have a nice causal schedule and you have a solid ground work in design and skill, 4 weeks or less is good. If this was an eight hour job it would probably take much less time to make, but for finalization it would take the same time (art director double checking your work or other work related delays add time). It all depends on the character, the game budget, model complexity, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
    I Kind of like the shiny skin. Makes it less human.
    Well if that's the intended result it's fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
    In terms of if I was working on it straight, the compressed time would be probably 100 hours, less if things go according to plan. But on a casual schedule of two to three hours a day it's about 3 weeks, which is not unusual for this kind of production. RTS characters I did in the past were much less time due to less detail needed and the simplicity of the low poly module. This guy took much longer because he had so many more parts to him and also the first anatomy pass I did on him I did not feel like it was up to par, so I redid that. I mean, most people freak out about the time, but if you have a nice causal schedule and you have a solid ground work in design and skill, 4 weeks or less is good. If this was an eight hour job it would probably take much less time to make, but for finalization it would take the same time (art director double checking your work or other work related delays add time). It all depends on the character, the game budget, model complexity, and so forth.
    Could you be doing this for a living?

Blog Entries

Can he come to my place? I have a wall to break

Nice stuff, full of details and with nice textures
    Just wondering why the holes in the helmet are yellow? Is that supose to be lights in games?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I think he only obeys Maester Quyburn.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Well if that's the intended result it's fine by me.

Could you be doing this for a living?
    I've Done commissions in the past and still do them occasionally when I get the opportunity. Eventually I want this to be my full time but getting a proper foot in the door of the CGI industry is a tough nut to break in and a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post

Nice stuff, full of details and with nice textures
    Just wondering why the holes in the helmet are yellow? Is that supose to be lights in games?
    The yellow eyes were supposed to be a heat map emissive, meaning like there's a furnace underneath it. Wanted it to look a bit more infernal looking rather than dull blank eyes.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

That clasp in the skin is brutal, I love/hate how creepy it is. Great piece of work.

Thanks peeps for the comments! Since I've vowed to be a bit more active over this and end these drag sessions, here's a WIP of a redo of the Flesh Hound (Note the horns were not originally implemented but were a happy accident design )

Blog Entries

Tsss, go to your crate!!!

Nice stuff again. And yes, sometimes chance helps
    I'd would just suggest to make the ribs a bit more visible, to increase the feeling of strength, and make the skin just above the claws more "flat", to be more realistic

Thanks Lifthrasir!

As promised here is another update. I haven't been nearly rigorous with this guy because something else has taken up some of my free time as well... the reasons are down below the following

Blog Entries

Much better
    I like it.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Just wondering, why is everything such low quality in Medieval 2, even custom models?
    It's not a critique, just asking whether it's because the engine can't handle HD stuff or whether it makes it easier since low quality requires less work, and if you wanted HD stuff you'd have to rework everything in the game otherwise it'd look weird.

This isn't meant to be me denigrating your work, just a question

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There can be higher quality models in game for example having 10000 polygons but if there would be thousands of men like that in the battlefield, it'd probably make the battle very laggy.

Edit: stuff can look good in M2TW also:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Araval; May 17, 2017 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Just wondering, why is everything such low quality in Medieval 2, even custom models?
    It's not a critique, just asking whether it's because the engine can't handle HD stuff or whether it makes it easier since low quality requires less work, and if you wanted HD stuff you'd have to rework everything in the game otherwise it'd look weird.

This isn't meant to be me denigrating your work, just a question
    The answer is pretty easy if you take a step back. Medieval II was made in 2007 and the engine that is was built upon was a heavily modified version of Rome Total war. Back then polygon counts and texture resolutions were much more of a concern in what can eat up performance in games, thus that's why everything back then was of lower poly count and lower texture quality. Meaning lower resolution models/textures = faster optimization and processing. Also Medieval II uses a last generation rendering system of using only a diffuse, specular, and normal map, which is no where near as good as today's modern PBR rendering (or Rome II's custom PBR-esq rendering). Also what kills it a bit more is that Medieval II processes normal maps on a depth of 0 to 1, unlike today where engines can process a depth of -1 to 1.

In the end, yes Medieval II will always look last gen in comparison to Rome II or Warhammer, however with today's tools and texturing programs you can vastly improve the quality of the models (which is what I am doing for fun). It won't look up to par, but if done right will give a solid coat of new polish.