Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: TOG's Art Dump

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

Default Re: TOG's Art Dump

Quote Originally Posted by cedric37 View Post
    Quite impressive work here. Kudos !
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    ^^ Agree. Except for the eyes, too 'flashy' for my taste. I don't want to be harsh but can't help myself to think about jawas in Star War

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDThrTxWBmw

They eye thing was something I played with but eventually really fell in love in. Using an emissive texture to offset the extreme darkness I feel like gives in an nice contrast.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Sometimes the devil is in the details but occasionally it is the details that are devilish, well done!
    Which game is this for?
    Thanks! This is for a personal project of mine, a Quake like shooter.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post

good find

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
    They eye thing was something I played with but eventually really fell in love in. Using an emissive texture to offset the extreme darkness I feel like gives in an nice contrast
    Your work, your choice... as usual I was just expressing my own taste
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Alright, here's another one. This took longer due to other obligations I had to get done and also getting stuck in a rut trying to finish it. However I do enjoy this one in the end of the day. Took inspiration from the film "The Ritual".

Blog Entries

Well done
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

seconded !
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

That's a very imaginative and -so far- rather well implemented, from the technical point of view.
    Still, I can't help remarking that there is a paradox about the combination of ungulate rear limbs and herbivore teeth on one hand and raptorial forelimbs on the other.
    And what's with the teeth on the horns?

Maybe it's just me being too pedantic but I feel that even imaginary creatures must look like they can fit into one ecological niche or another.
    I understand that most people who would play a game featuring this model are unlikely to be plagued with zoology knowledge but in my case a model like that would ruin my suspension of disbelief.

I hope you don't don't feel that I'm crapping all over this work.
    As I just don't think that ceremonial praise alone would do you any good in the medium to the long term, I perceive it as more meaningful to provide an honest critique.

Blog Entries

Well, in that case, that's the whole head that TOG has to review because with that kind of nose, there's no chance that such a creature can catch anything with its mouth
    ... Unless it has a secondary jaw, something a bit like Alien, or a mobile one like in Predator

Edit: Below, the creature from the movie mentionned by TOG:

My remark or yours, Pal, can applies to this one as well. Even if I tend to share your point of view, I think that, sometimes, we just need to forget about it and to just let imagination works by its own
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 18, 2019 at 04:22 AM.

Like I said, if this is going to be used in a video game or a film then suspension of disbelief is an issue.
    It's one thing to present the viewer with a grotesquely mutated moose, it's a totally different thing to present them with something that could not possibly have occurred from any mutation.
    Unless, that is, the plot of the film or the game unfolds within the nightmares generated by a psychotic mind.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    That's a very imaginative and -so far- rather well implemented, from the technical point of view.
    Still, I can't help remarking that there is a paradox about the combination of ungulate rear limbs and herbivore teeth on one hand and raptorial forelimbs on the other.
    And what's with the teeth on the horns?

Maybe it's just me being too pedantic but I feel that even imaginary creatures must look like they can fit into one ecological niche or another.
    I understand that most people who would play a game featuring this model are unlikely to be plagued with zoology knowledge but in my case a model like that would ruin my suspension of disbelief.

I hope you don't don't feel that I'm crapping all over this work.
    As I just don't think that ceremonial praise alone would do you any good in the medium to the long term, I perceive it as more meaningful to provide an honest critique.
    Hey thanks for the comments! I would usually agree in your case if this was supposed to be a more naturally occurring type of creature for a more mundane game, but this is an a eldritch monster that belongs in a gothic horror fps. It's supposed to be a bit all over the place with the gore and bizzare anatomical features. But thanks for your input!

"Gothic Horror" explains a lot.

Alright, Im out in Utah in the middle of a snow storm with nothing but friends, family, and Zbrush on this laptop. Here's another WIP:

Blog Entries

Oyez! Oyez! Xmas is coming with its presents, pics and... reindeers

On a serious note, it looks good. I look forward for its textures version
    I guess that all these characters are for the same game you talked about a while ago. Is it possible to have in-game pics of them? That would be very interesting to see them implemented

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Oyez! Oyez! Xmas is coming with its presents, pics and... reindeers

On a serious note, it looks good. I look forward for its textures version
    I guess that all these characters are for the same game you talked about a while ago. Is it possible to have in-game pics of them? That would be very interesting to see them implemented
    Thanks for the comment! Yeah I know antlers look a little out of place but I felt they spiced things up a bit; kinda of reminds me of the Horned King from the Black Cauldron movie by Disney. Anyways regarding in game I've been snooping around for what engine to use. UE4 and unity are most people's top pics but I have also been looking at Cryengine and Lumberyard because of other features that would be useful later on. So as of the moment I'm just making art assets till I nail down an engine I want to stick with.

Blog Entries

Makes sens. I'll have to be patient then

Not bad, craftsmanship-wise, still too Gothic for me, though.
    Like Lifthrrasir, I'm looking forward to seeing it with textures on.

So I took a week off and then finished up this guy. The chainmail skirt I'm still working on because it baked out funky. So in the meantime I'm using a procedural texture in place. So here you guys go!

Blog Entries

I just don't like the horns because they seem to not match with the rest of the model. But that's just my personal taste

So I took December off and have been working since the new year. Anyhow I'm taking classes at school for job prep (got another film later this spring to work on) so my free time is a bit crammed at the moment. However the newest character below is another hard surface practice, but this time I've been using Maya a lot more for modeling than zbrush. Also for details I'm using Zbrush's boolean system, meaning I don't have to subdivide horrendously to add some intricate detail. Enjoy the WIP!

I find the crossover of lobster-tailed pot helmet with Japanese face guard and "modern" body armor quite interesting, it gives it a hot-rod feel.
    What films have you worked on so far?

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Maybe it's just me, but the upper part reminds me the shape of a miner helmet.
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader