Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first TW experience

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Default Re: Your first TW experience

My first Total War experience was, okay don't laugh(Drums rolling), Rome: Total War! I later bought Medieval: Total War though, and Medieval II.

Wow almost everyone here started with MTW and Shogun O.o My first experience was with good ol RTW. I remember a friend telling me about it at school so I had my dad drive me down to best buy and I bought it. It turns out my freind was understating how good the game was. My first faction was the Bruitii and from what I can remember was that the first thing I did was attack a greek city with only about 5 levy hoplites against my full army of hastati and my faction leader. I won the battle but the losses were so great that all of my shattered units if put together would make 1 hastatii and my faction leader. Well then next turn the city rioted and 1 soldier was killed, it was faction leader........... Good stuff

I heard about shogun from a friend, and then heard about MTW1 from the same friend, and finally borrowed MTW1 from him. I played that game so much, mostly as the english since the greater portion of my medieval history is english.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Mine was Shogun when it first came out in 2000...I had never heard anything about the game but saw the sweet looking warrior on the front and was currently loving Asian history so I bought. Unfortunately it ran like crap on my computer and I didnt understand the gameplay so I tried to return it but they told me I couldnt. I ended up selling it for about 5 bucks to the local EB Games store...years later I saw the Gold edtion with Mongol Invasion, had a better computer to run it on, bought that played it for a very long time.

Since then I've been buying TW games when they come out and this series will probably be one of the few games I'll play religiously into and past college
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

heard of rome total war got intereseted but couldent afford so i brought medieval total war for 10 bucks it was the best 10 bucks i ever spent. i created a huge empire as the danes streching from the rhiene to the far east end of the map i toggled fow off and discovered that the alomods had conqured to rest of the map and i went ohh **** this is going to be hard but then bamm mongols invade i get crushed from all sides and lose

KALI's Avatar Senator

Shogun for me,
    I'd been playing Cossacks and had just got bored with the lack of realistic tactics and strategy. Plus the wierd 2d/3d perspective. Tried shogun and... wow battlefields, campaign maps, diplomacy historical events and real 3D.
    Since then I've never really found anything to compare to the TW series.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Shogun of course though the only campaign I ever finished was the most western faction (forgot the name). The it was medieval which by that time I barely play other games.

However it was my 2nd liason with RTW (after discovering mods) that makes me uninstall other games from my pc.

Somehow I never really enjoyed M2TW and is back at RTW (RTR to be specific). This is mostly because of my old pc more than anything I guess.

However, I believe in a year maybe M2TW is more stable with more patches and so on. Maybe I'll convert back to M2TW by that time.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I got into Total war with MTW1. I think it was shortly after its release. Before VI was out. I had a lot of fun playing that game, which really pushed the limits of my computer at the time.

My best way of playing RTW was on my laptop, which had about 32 MB of graphics memory (whereas the least Rome needed on the box was 64 MB). It worked with having all effects turned off. And playing in 3 D was quite nicely.

After getting Rome, I still continued with MTW. I tried NTW1, XL Mod, BKB Mod, Fall of Rome and of course that nice mod playing in the greek era. I even got myself shogun at the time. But I couldn't get used to the graphics. Seems that those who play a later game title first always have difficulty going back. I would love to see shogun revived though. Would be a great game imo.

After Rome I even preordered MTW2. Seems the mods for RTW and BI got me confused as to the quality of the vanilla product. Soon I recognized that passive AI is a very good enemy - the only good enemy is a dead one, and that AI was a dead end for sure. But after the patch which improved the game in some aspects, I continued playing.

I usually shift between TW Games, Oblivion and EU 3. I like strategy.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

I first started out with rome total war, chose the the julii did really good too, was slowly expanding out into the german and dacian having just wiped the floor with the iberians and carthagians lands when incame a massive army of guals which proceded to horribly massacre my italian powerbase effectively dividing my first ever empire in half...

I got annoyed and rather quickly as i'm sure you could understand...

So i decided to forsake that game, reload another but make it short since the main goal was the complete annilation of the gauls... which didnt take long after a vast amount of spamming histarii and town watch lol

Though it wasnt until my seleucid game I became to develop my skills a more than just vengeful smiting, having been able to eliminate the egyptians and parthians with militia hoplites alone, good days those, would explain my fixation with phalanx styled units
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

I first say Medieval Total War on an aquintance's (spelling) PC, but I wasn't interested. I bough RTW when it came out, and, of course, as a fan of Roman history and with my lack of experience in games, I loved it. But I sucked. I kept playing and playing until I managed to forge empires. It was the second funnest part of my gaming life. Then, I bought M2TW, on Christmas. Now, I played a little MTW to see what it's like.

I bought Rome...and it didn't work on my computer. So I bought Medieval 1...and it wouldn't work. I cursed the Gods and got a new computer a few months later.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

My first TW experience was with good old shogun, at a friend's house. I got to start a campaign as he was busy with something, and I just remember that I found the battles quite difficult initially, before I learned to use the different troop types correctly.

None of the newer TWs have been able to create such a good atmosphere as shogun.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I got STW at a comp fair on sale for 20 bucks not even twom months after it was out. I was a lot younger then and I didnt enjoy the game like I probolly would now. I do remember though my favorite part were the movies, especially the ninja ones.

My first experience was also with Rome Total War. I was searching for new games on the market and found it. This was during my "RTS Stage" and I downloaded the demo for the Battle of Trebia. I played it and thought it was ok, but nothing to brag about. However, I found myself playing more and more. When I planned on purchasing it, I wanted to only play the custom battles, thinking the campaign would be stupid (I didn't know what to expect), but then I seen my friend play the campaign and I was blown away. One of the greatest computer gaming experiences I've ever had.

Can't remember my first STW experience - but MTW I remember well. I started up the campaign, and thought to myself: "Oh my, this is FAR too complicated for me"

Rome: Total War. I didnt actually hear that TW games existed untill about 2 weeks before RTW's release I found a thread on another internet forum, about the coming RTW. It contained a link to the demo, i downloaded and was instantly hooked.

GBB's Avatar Laetus

My First Total War Experience? When i was seven, i bought Shogun Total War, and was instantly hooked. When you are that young though, you really are not very good at diplomacy or anything, but i had been playing with model soldiers since i was 4 so i was okay at strategy and battles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12