Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your finest RTW moments

Default Re: Your finest RTW moments

Hit one Seleucid elephant in a unit with a flaming onager shot right over my walls during a siege (as Armenians). They rampaged and smashed through their own lines from the side, all the way down.

My finest, and favorite, moment was waaaay back on the 1.2 patch. There was a save/load bug that sometimes caused your family members to live to ripe old ages. I was playing as the Julii and my original faction leader was my commanding general when I took Rome during the Civil War. He was 103. He died the next turn.

I could have saved/reloaded and have him alive again, but I decided that he'd lived long enough and died well. Sadly, that was done on an old computer and I no longer have the pic I took of it.
    “Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it.” -GK Chesterton

Have 2, the first came as the greeks, late in the campaign I had conquered all of italia north to the alps and had actually already won the campaign but was playing on to build a true empire. I had had previous issues with the gauls and was going to exterminate them but Egypt had invaded Anatolia with about 7 stacks so I simply built forts at the mouth if the 4 passes through the alps to hold gaul while I dealt with the Egypt situation. Each fort was manned by 5 armored hoplites 2 archers and 3greek cav. Right about the time I get my strongest stack on the ship leaving Italy my fort gets attacked by 2 full stacks of gauls led by 2 generals. The battLe was hectic and furious but in the end the phalanx held.
    The second one was thanks to the wonderful ai. Attacked thermon held by Brutus with a medium seleucid army (6 phalanx pikes 4 archers 4 greek cav) but they were a full stack with reinforcements and a total of 3 wardogs. Brutus had 4 principes on the walls, 3 archers, 1 velite, and 2 hastati. Needless to say the wall fight wejt against me bigtime. I left 2.5 phal pikes dead on the walls and 2 archers. Then when I went to send another 2 up they all retreated from the walls. So I took the gatehouse and towers real quick to drive them back into the city and marched on in. Once inside it was a continuous scene of equites and wardogs impaling themselves on what was left of my phalanx. With tye occasional stoppage to fight infantry. Brutiis faction leader died right below a truimphal arch peading to tye town center and that was it. Lost 2/3 of my strongest army in greece but gained a heroic Victory and a new general with 2 influence 1 management and 4 command. Plus I took brutus strongest hellenic holding

I defeated the English army playing as the Normans in Norman Invasion! I lost count of how much stack I destroyed but I will post my progression as soon as possible (Normal/Normal).

I like the moment when I as the Alemanni defeated the combined army of the Huns and the Vandals.

Hmmmm....My favorite is when I had a family member out alone, I was sending him to one of my ungoverned settlements in Pontic Territory (this is as Brutii). Randomly got attacked by a MASSIVE army of pontic soldiers. Unfortunately, they were all eastern infantry and hillmen, versus my late roman, 6 silver, full upgraded 40 man strong heavy cavalry. Heroic victory and obliterated half the enemy forces, even though I lost most of the cavalry doing it. Second favorite is when I was playing as Greeks. I knew I was screwed, I was down to my last settlement, with 1 unit of Spartans, 1 of armored hoplites, my faction leader and heir and a full stack of hastati, principes, and equites to fight. Had stone walls at this point, they rammed the gates and attempted to kill my hoplites with their infantry. Despite being reduced to half their strength by previous battles, they slaughtered the enemy infantry with barely any casualties, 5 hastati, 5 principes, and their skirmishers. Only lost because while the wall fight was going on, they nailed my cavalry and took the town square. Still, my little group of less than a hundred hoplite killed over one thousand soldiers.

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Iberia, 425~ (ish) A.C.E. [Vlad:TW]

Publius Curius Germanicus surveyed the oncoming celtic horde with a grimace. The swarms of rebellious curs were driving him away from a cushy governing position in Carthago Nova; his glorified retirement home. He had done his time in the military already. Why would these filthy barbarians continue to persist?

No matter. They enslaved roman lands, and eliminated Spurius, a dear friend and dearer trading partner. They all simply had to die, and their newfound lands reintegrated into Rome proper. If only he had comitatenses, as in the old days.

Germanicus sighed, shifting his gaze to his assemblage of Foederati and Limitanei trash.

"Right, listen here! To you foreign soldiers, shut up and wait for your picked men to translate! The rest of you, look here for a second, you drooling peasants! Look here. We hold a bridgehead, that is the finest defensive position you could ask for. Line the banks, point your sticks toward the enemy, and know that if you run I will personally whore all of your filthy mothers! Now then! To war!"

Germanicus was treated to an unenthusiastic moan from his forces, while the Bucelarii he maintained in his retinue offered a spirited cheer- probably at the mention of whoring, they loved that.

With the imperial romans thrown into rough formations, Germanicus appraised the celtic foe. A strong host of some three thousand men, mostly heavily equipped infantry, an equal to comitatenses units anywhere. It was a good thing that Germanicus trusted in his mount, and noted with satisfaction that his quarry lacked any horsemen. His life, at least, would not be endangered.

"Lock shields you grunts! I'm not paid well enough to get killed by your incompetence!" Centurion Severus barked out; the leader of the Bucelarii, Severus was perhaps the only other man here who knew war.

"General's orders! We form ranks like this to cover the bridgehead, then you lug-headed idiots hold the banks! We hold the center! All you idiots have to do is stand and hold! I'll strangle the first bastard who runs, you good for nothing Iberian dogs!"

Germanicus nodded appreciatively, and then braced himself. The celts had arrived.

They were not stupid: half the force assaulted the bridge, while the elite elements crossed the river, swimming to meet limitanei and foederati. Germanicus prepared himself for yet another roman slaughter, but was surprised to see his Bucelarii captain move amongst the men, encouraging them, beating a few cowardly officers. The limitanei held, and the bridge was secure. This mercenary was perhaps turning things around...

An hour passed, little changed. The sagittarii had emptied their munitions and were just now returning with fresh arrows, and the celts continued to throw themselves at the romans, but now their proud warriors began to flounder in the river. Thick mail weighted them down as they clawed at the hewn clay, pushing against both mounds of their dead and the present wave of celt elite. Limitanei held firm, not giving an inch of ground, but also doing little to actually fight the celt force. In the center, by the bridge, a courtyard of corpses impressed upon Germanicus the excellence of his Bucelarii. Shortly, Centurion Severus arrived to make his report.

"Sir! One hour since initial hostilities and all's well. Levies will continue to hold, spirits are raising. We're nearly done with the ammunition but we can keep this position until nightfall."

Germanicus nodded and offered a slow salute, still somewhat dumbfounded that this was all going so very well.

"If I may sir, brilliant planning, this. Poor bastards never had a chance, damn their numbers."

"Right." Germanicus said, trying his best to look aloof. "All according to plan."

"And what a plan, sir! Just you wait, come to the river bank in a few moments, It'll happen soon."

The governor-general raised an eyebrow. "What will happen?"
    The centurion simply snickered. "Oh governor sir, you're going to love it. Just wait an' see."

Germanicus decided at once to take the Centurion up on his offer, and after relieving himself in a ditch just behind the main battle line, the Governor casually sauntered up to where his unofficial second in command was surveying the limitanei on the right flank.

"Dont dismount sir, you got a better view up there. Watch the river."

Germanicus watched, and in short order, he saw:

"That, governor-general sir, is what two-thousand drowned celts looks like."

Germanicus blinked.

"It's a miracle sir. Like them Christians believe in. A proper one."

Germanicus nodded slowly and said aloud "Ah, yes, praise the Jewish god for this uh, mighty display of his power. Let Rome eternally rule over these and all-other river waters! Let you never forget that it was I, Germanicus, that delivered unto you glory and triumph!"

Germanicus physically turned to his Bucelarii "and especially delivered unto you your double-rations of wine, women, and coin!"

The laughable assembly of pseudo-soldiers cheered heartily, and Severus offered a satisfied nod. "Right poetic that was, sir. 'Specially that bit about women, and coin."

"Mmm, yes, quite. Well, away with you. Finders keepers in the enemy camp. Do be gentle with our liberated female citizens."

Severus opened his arms wide, golden mail glistening in the afternoon. "Oh governor-general, I'm aaalways gentle."

At that a veritable warband of roman mercenaries stormed across the bridge. Germanicus had no idea how he would report this to Rome. A terrible thought crept into his mind: they... wouldn't promote him to field command for this would they? The aging lazy governor dreaded the thought.

"Damn celts. Even when you crush them, they somehow still ruin your day."
    Last edited by Massive_attack; November 21, 2015 at 07:53 AM.

Thracia Bridge, 400~ (ish) A.D.

The Eastern Roman Emperor and his Heir surveyed the battlefield. They were warned of huns, 3 times the size of them passing through this bridge. He knew that the only chance the true rome had, was to defeat the huns and so strategised with these generals. He already won once against 2 armies. Now however there were 3 1/2 stacks, but he trusted his men. Why do they keep attacking Eastern Rome and not Western Rome

No matter. They thought they could bring us in the knees. Let's see who brings who to the knees . He was happy that his first 4 plumbutarii units arrived.

He sighed and ordered his man to prepare for the battle.
    "Right, listen here! You Limitanei, go to the front and attack them until, the comitatenses, exhaust their pilum! Comitatenses listen well.. You are the second line of attack. Once the limitanei break, fight for rome! You, plumbatarii, the elites Look here. You are the third wave and rush forward once you run out of pilums! We hold a bridgehead, that is the finest defensive position you could ask for. Legio Lanciarii, Line the banks, point your sticks toward the enemy, and kill the cavalry and try to resist the infantry. 50% of the Eastern archers go in the comitatenses to fire at the bridge. The others split between the two sides and help the legio lanciarii. This won't be enough. Me, my heir and our bodyguards will charge through you before the breaking point to crush the enemy. And Legio Lanciarii, Hide!"
    The emperor was treated with a renewed applause

"General's orders! Form Ranks! Dubletime! They're near!"

The romans braced themselves as the huns charged. Many died by the arches, but with their numbers, not enough. The first reached the limitanei. The general shouted "Remember, if we break, Constantinople will be massacred"

Though barbarians, they were as cunning as the romans and went through the river, even when most were died. They were at the top and then the legio lanciarii charged at the mostly cavalry force. The army lasted against the sheer number of huns....

Couple Of Hours later (in time), the huns still pushed back and the men were losing morale. So the general charged at them and they regained the morale and eventually most of the huns were massacred. The cavalry took down the last ones. The army celebrated although outnumbered 3:1, due to great strategy, won.

Sorry for not having a picture. This was probably the best victory as it secured ERE against huge odds

Well, kinda an old topic, but I'd share my greatest moment in Rome: Total War.

Iuvavum, somewhere near 240 BC. Playing as the Julii.
    My main forces were somewhere out in Gaul terrority, occupying the pesky barbarians' towns. I didn't expect an attack from Dacia, they were neutral to me. The Dacian horde tried to take Iuvavum from me. They were lucky, because only 3 units of Town Watch was there in the company of the governor, Decius Julius. About 4 or 5 unit of Warband attacked me. There was a small army around Arretium, clearing the rebel armies on the Italian Peninsula. I've tried to move them to the sieged city as a reinforment, but I was too late. On a final escape attempt, I've tried bribe the army, but I didn't have enough money. On the next turn, the Dacian army attacked me.
    I've tried to seal the way to the town's central square by blocking the roads with Town Watches. But the Warbands crushed them. Only my general stayed alive with 3 of his bodyguard against about 100 infantry soldier. Seeing there's no way to win this battle, I've ordered them for a final attack, they've ridden into the mass of Dacians, into their death. At least, this is what I thought.
    But the cavalry charge did so much damage that a unit routed. Seeing this, I went for another charge. It killed many men. Realising the power of this 4 men's charge, I've quickly changed my mind. The town hasn't fallen yet! The battle can still be won! With another charge, I've successfully routed half of the Dacian army. After a prolonged struggle of charging-retreating-charging, I've managed to rout every Dacian unit without losing a single men from the 4 remaining soldiers. That was a heroic victory.
    Unfortunately, after about 20-30 years, the Dacian successfully took the town from me with a much larger army.

I've been playing RTW since 2011, so I couldn't pick a single "greatest" moment. No doubt i've forgotten some really great ones. But there is one particular battle that sticks in my memory, though it's a little fuzzy since it's been 6 years.

It was in my first-ever RTW campaign, in which I was playing as the Scipii. I had ended up at war with Egypt by accident (I tried to siege the Numidian town of Cyrene, but by the time my army got there it was Egyptian... hadn't expected that, and I really didn't want to fight them yet and was unprepared to do so, so this was quite an unwelcome development). What a long, grueling (but fun) war it was. This was my first campaign and I was just getting the hang of the game, so I was having a lot of trouble figuring out how on Earth to fight those chariots. I had to fight wave after wave of invading Egyptians, getting slaughtered by their chariots, before I finally managed to get some real armies recruited from the Sicily and Carthage areas and go on the offensive. When I did, I attacked a huge Egyptian army just a little ways southeast of Cyrene, just on the other side of the hills in the same province. As I say, the details are fuzzy because it was 6 years ago, but I generally remember what a grueling mess of a battle it was. There was a lot of Nubian spearmen and Nile spearmen, but the main problem was all the chariots, which just tore my lines to shreds. The battle somehow became quite scattered, with individual units fighting individual enemy units all over the place, corpses strewn everywhere over a wide area, both Roman and Egyptian. A sandstorm going on too, the whole thing was like a movie, pretty dramatic. Then came a moment where a bunch of chariots started thrashing a lone hastati unit that was kind of separated from the rest of my army, and I was so mad I just gathered all the tattered little hastati units nearby and had them charge the thing together from four directions, and amazingly it worked, they slaughtered all the chariots. My troops started cheering and I could completely sympathize. I still remember the visual, my hastati standing over the ruined chariots, waving their gladii in the air and cheering while the sandstorm blew around them. So once I figured out that worked, I started repeating it all over the battlefield, gathering the shrunken remnants of my hastati units into groups and having them all charge into chariots together. Not exactly refined tactical genius but hey, it worked and this was the first time I started having victory against chariots. I ended up winning the battle, and got a heroic victory and the two swords icon on the spot; this was the first time that happened for me and I thought it was pretty cool, cool enough that I established a watchtower nearby just so it wouldn't fade from sight when the army moved away.

Anyway that was my first big victory over Egypt, which was a big deal since I wasn't good at the game yet. I ended up sending two or three armies, with onagers, in a long march across the Sahara to Egypt... As I say, it was my first time fighting Egypt, so I didn't know how far the nearest city was or how long it would take to get there, and it didn't occur to me at the time that it would be easier to send them to Alexandria by boat, lol. So I ended up fighting just endless waves of Egyptian armies the whole way from Cyrene to Siwa to the Nile, but after that initial victory southeast of Cyrene I started to get the hang of fighting Egyptians, though it was still a nuisance how they just never seemed to run out of armies. Very fun campaign though. I played that campaign all through the night, not wanting to stop until i'd at least conquered Alexandria and the Nile cities. I still remember how cool it looked shooting firepots from my onagers over the Sahara sand dunes at Egyptian armies and watching those chariots burn.

So, I would say that battle of Cyrene was definitely one of my finer RTW moments. Of course if I played the same battle today I would do a lot better, lose fewer men and such, but at the time it was a great victory, and a highlight of what was generally a very fun campaign.

Not having played much, I don't have many fine moments. One amusing one was lookin gat the Brutii income on the graphs when I was playing the Seleucids. I had them down to one region and their income was STILL showing as about 30000D.

In my current campaign (Spain) - I had just taken Cisalpine Gaul/ Patavium from the Julii who were down to their two original cities. When I sent a force to beseige the one on the left, SPQR decided to pay me a visit with 1800 men and forced the remnants of my seiging army onto a boat.

Next turn I sailed to Rome and seiged it - no defenders worth mentioning. Turn later - Scratch SPQR. Massive stack of rebels.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

SPQR mod, I had been beaten back from cisalpine gaul by the raving hordes from the north, 3 legions decimated, with one left intact, who i garrisoned in the city north of rome herself. my only other armies was on a huge offensive against carthage my sworn enemy for over a hundred turns, if i pulled back now they would recover and the death stacks would shatter sicily for sure or worse regain a foothold on italia herself before i could retaliate.

If the city north of rome and the last legion of italy fell, rome herself would fall, the senate had like half a stack of generals and not much more in that area.

A full army attacks my legion in the city, no worries i thought, ill let them siege and come taste my gladius' in the streets, and easy win for me. Next turn. enemy proceeds to move two full stacks up to the city and attacks with 3 stacks total. Some hour or so later i am victorious, literally punchign the air IRL with glee. End Turn. SIX MORE STACKS appear on the horizon! The enemy eventually takes the city, my army under Quintus Julius took out 5 full stacks with no replenishment in the streets of a wooden walled city and heroically is executed a mere stones throw from the gates of rome.

But theres something i had forgotton... The barbarians move on Rome. My idiot allies the senate and their half stack made of all family members die almost instantly. They go to seiege the city.. BAM city garrison appears! all praetorians it seems (this was first time i played SPQR lol) and before marian reforms too .. that gave me time to throw together literally everything i had from central italy, about 2 full legions missing some principes and with hastati instead, i relieve the garrison killed 3 more stacks, and i move north.. nothing its clear.

Next turn senate declares war on me for ending turn with a army in their region (spqr mechanic at the time) - Me ------> FUUUUUUUUUUUU

I couldnt stop playing for 2 years straight after that and still play now 10 years later for 3 to 6 months at a stretch every year without fail....
    Last edited by Ultra123; November 04, 2017 at 04:56 AM.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

When I had a general that had:

10 Command
    10 Management
    10 Influence

-
    G. Ward

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I've been playing this game for so long, I don't even recall how many amazing moments I've had. Here are some of the many I could remember right now.

I - Hunnic siege of Rome

...By 7 stacks, nonetheless. Playing as WRE, I was generally playing like usual, uncaring about hordes, as the AI Huns rarely if ever last long enough to reach me. However this time the AI pushed through my rebelling frontier provinces straight into Italy. Heck, I wasn't even ready, but I scrambled a full stack at the cost of two provinces rebelling, and one army being built in Hispania to sail to Italy.

Once the Huns reached Rome, they fought 3 battles on the walls. Each time it was a massacre. Their poor little infantry were cut down as soon as they reached the walls. The gates were much tougher to hold, as there is no pike units to create a noob box in BI. The Huns would attack from three sides of the map, forcing me to hold each gate (which had already been breached at the first battle). They also got close to the town center multiple times, each time I would push them back to the gates.

Their 7 stacks became 4 after the third battle, rest dying in the siege. From that point they just abandoned Rome and wandered around aimlessly, depleted and not replenishing, until my stack from Hispania arrived and the two Roman armies put them down.

II - Killing an entire faction using three Triremes

I was just playing around the Mediterranean as Macedon when I spot four AI ships from Egypt sailing towards Italy. They were all damaged (probably from a storm or something, can't recall). Egypt was at war with Scipii Romans, and that was their invasion force, a full stack on board. I remember that Egypt had been at war with me only a few turns ago before we signed peace.

So being the dutiful little troll that I am, I send in my own Triremes (a fleet of 3, with a high-ranking admiral who hunted pirates for 20 years) from a very close port nearby, and immediately attack them. They are reduced to two heavily damaged ships. I have movement points left, so I attack again. I lose one ship and the enemy are entirely sunk....and then I receive message that Egypt has been destroyed.

Apparently somehow all Egyptian family members were on that fleet and part of the invasion force...the rest of the family members were underage children. They all died. This was even easier than destroying Turks within 5 turns in Medieval 2 with the same trick.

III - General goes amok and dies

I don't recall who I was fighting against, and I was playing as one of the Romans. My 7 unit army was attacked by a full stack of the enemy, whose 9 star general (who could make my army run away easily) was on elephants. I had a pig unit and two mercenary javelin raiders, rest all legionaries. Enemy had lots of spearmen, heavy and light.

So AI being AI, the general on elephant and his cavalry charged ahead of the rest of his army. I unleashed the burning pigs, and the elephants went amok (but not hit). His cavalry hit my line but were repelled later.

By the time main enemy army reached me, those elephants had fled south and right near my javelin raiders. They proceeded to ride around the general in circles, hunting one elephant at a time. That 9 star guy died an inglorious death.

As soon as the general went down, their army went from nearly running me over...to mass chain routing. Only cavalry escaped, the rest were all cut down. I adopted that minor field commander, and he went on to become my faction leader 30 years later.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    III - General goes amok and dies

I don't recall who I was fighting against, and I was playing as one of the Romans. My 7 unit army was attacked by a full stack of the enemy, whose 9 star general (who could make my army run away easily) was on elephants. I had a pig unit and two mercenary javelin raiders, rest all legionaries. Enemy had lots of spearmen, heavy and light.

So AI being AI, the general on elephant and his cavalry charged ahead of the rest of his army. I unleashed the burning pigs, and the elephants went amok (but not hit). His cavalry hit my line but were repelled later.

By the time main enemy army reached me, those elephants had fled south and right near my javelin raiders. They proceeded to ride around the general in circles, hunting one elephant at a time. That 9 star guy died an inglorious death.

As soon as the general went down, their army went from nearly running me over...to mass chain routing. Only cavalry escaped, the rest were all cut down. I adopted that minor field commander, and he went on to become my faction leader 30 years later.
    That's not very fair for the AI, I take it you modded the game to allow elephants generals

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Similar story here. I once beseiged a Pontic settlement and shot some fire arrows in and made their chariots run amok. My forces killed a handful of the enemy, but it mostly their own chariots killing all their own troops in the streets while I just waited outside. Oops.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I didn't know that chariots could run amok in RTW, or even hurt your own troops afterwards. I guess I'll try this now.

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    That's not very fair for the AI, I take it you modded the game to allow elephants generals
    And the problem with that is?
    Many mods feature elephant generals. Plus, "fairness" to the AI only matters if I was playing by restricting myself with house rules.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12