Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP) [Updated 01/06/2014] -patch8.1 compatible!

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [WIP] Epirote Expansion Project (EEP)

These are some goods units there! +rep!

Default Re: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP) [Updated 9/21/2013]

Hey, so i really like your mod, and seeing how you need help, and how i know a little bit of photoshop, i decided to help you out with unit cards. I don't really know how to put them in game, but i can provide you with icon and mask file for each of you units, which should be enough. Here is a little jpeg sample of illyrian light cav and new peltast guys. nothing fancy, just the edits of already existing icons. But if you like them i'm glad to help and make more.

Please help! Epirus is my favorite faction by far. I see them as the most realistic alternative to Rome when it comes to conquering the Mediterranean. If only those campaigns in Italy, Syracuse in Sparta had gone a bit better Phyrrus. For some reason however I am at a TOTAL loss as to how I get this mod up and running. I'm usually self sufficient with getting mods to work, ever since rome 1. But I've tried 50 different things and cant get this one to work. which pack file do i need? 1 or 103? and what do i do with it? it wont let me unpack with 7zip or winrar and simply placing the pack into rome 2 data folder seems to have no effect on game. Im throwing a white flag here... Any help??? Love the look of mod btw good job!

edit^ using mod manager im able to tick the box for the 1.0 version to work, but the other one does not show up

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Congrats Alexander! Very well done!

I'm poking around your mod structure, trying to figure out how you did certain things.

I'm planning to do the same for Nomadic Tribes, giving them a wider Nomadic Unit Roster, then focusing on three specific factions, representing Scythian, Saka, and Sarmatian unit rosters and differences.

While I understand how to create new unit models, more or less. I'm baffled by buildings and tech trees. Have you figured that out yet? One of the first things I want to do with Nomadic Factions is add a Religious building tech tree and building line, as currently there are none.

As I see, you want to add a Shrine of Hades to Epirote building/tech tree, right? I wanted to add an Ancestor Shrine to Kolaksay and some other Scytho-Sarmatian-Saka pantheon, with everything custom effects, graphics, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Best,
    TG

Epirus could use some melee ships! Excited to start a campaign with these great looking new units. But definitely going to have to rely on some javelin ship swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathedralsquares View Post
    The new Illyrian troops need some balancing. The Dardanians forgot how to throw their javelins, Illyrian warriors cost 190 to recruit but are just as strong as most tier 2 units, levy footmen are also very strong for being cheap as dirt with decent melee stats, lots of javelins, and the Grospromachoi need a little more staying power. They lose to militia hoplites for gods sake. That's awful for a unit that costs as much as they do. Increased armor (they're better armored than Illyrian infantry, but have worse armor stats?), and a bit more attack would make them a more useful unit but as it stands there's no reason to pick them at all. Also they need helmets. Levy spearmen might be a little to good in melee for their price, but they do run away rather quickly so I suppose that balances it out.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into those issues.

One of the things you may want to think about with respect to units like the Grospomachoi is a change in tactics. They're not really supposed to be a grindy melee unit (like hoplites, for example), but instead they're supposed to charge in, do some damage, then get out and throw javelins. It's one of the things I talked about in the OP, if you use light infantry tactics (alternating lines, retreating defense, etc.) a lot of these units have the potential to break the AI. The base weight and speed of the Illyrian units is actually faster than units of a similar class, so it's very possible to disengage them from melee if you advance another unit forward while they retreat. But that said, they probably need their defense stat (dodge chance) improved a bit. I might also increase their hitpoints a bit.

Laetus

Great work Aelexander !!
    I'm just having a smal tinny probleme with the names of the unites not apearing, maybe it is because i'm playing in french, if someone has any clue about this it would be great, becaus i don't know ho is what

Unfortunately, each mod that adds or alters unit names need specific localization files for each language-version. I don't know exactly how to set this up for non-english versions of the game so if anyone has any ideas or wants to volunteer to localize future versions of the mod please let me know.

Laetus

Thanks Aelex, I'll just turn the game in english and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Olu View Post
    Hey, so i really like your mod, and seeing how you need help, and how i know a little bit of photoshop, i decided to help you out with unit cards. I don't really know how to put them in game, but i can provide you with icon and mask file for each of you units, which should be enough. Here is a little jpeg sample of illyrian light cav and new peltast guys. nothing fancy, just the edits of already existing icons. But if you like them i'm glad to help and make more.

Definitely cool. I'll start looking into custom unit cards.

While I understand how to create new unit models, more or less. I'm baffled by buildings and tech trees. Have you figured that out yet? One of the first things I want to do with Nomadic Factions is add a Religious building tech tree and building line, as currently there are none.

As I see, you want to add a Shrine of Hades to Epirote building/tech tree, right? I wanted to add an Ancestor Shrine to Kolaksay and some other Scytho-Sarmatian-Saka pantheon, with everything custom effects, graphics, etc.
    Still learning myself. There isn't a lot of info out there. I also wonder if there is a way to expand the main building chain to allow for military-centric town expansion to match the econ-focused chain we currently have.

um why most of the new units are skirmishers?

Quote Originally Posted by elor70 View Post
    um why most of the new units are skirmishers?
    Illyria was a region known for producing light infantry distinguished by their use of javelins (most illyrian infantry carried a brace of them behind their shields). Do not be fooled by the fact that their default stance is ranged. These units more than hold their own in melee. They simply have fire-at-will enabled so you can use them like proper light infantry. Test them out in melee, they are quite useful. You'll find you'd rather have these guys than javelinmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelexander View Post
    Illyria was a region known for producing light infantry distinguished by their use of javelins (most illyrian infantry carried a brace of them behind their shields). Do not be fooled by the fact that their default stance is ranged. These units more than hold their own in melee. They simply have fire-at-will enabled so you can use them like proper light infantry. Test them out in melee, they are quite useful. You'll find you'd rather have these guys than javelinmen.
    Ok... it is less comfortable this way,sometimes you can forget to to turn on melee mode,and whats the point of ranged units when melee units are ranged themself? also most melee units automatically throw javelins when they charge
    i think this mod will be much better if melee units were mainly melee and ranged units were mainly ranged

Quote Originally Posted by elor70 View Post
    Ok... it is less comfortable this way,sometimes you can forget to to turn on melee mode,and whats the point of ranged units when melee units are ranged themself? also most melee units automatically throw javelins when they charge
    i think this mod will be much better if melee units were mainly melee and ranged units were mainly ranged
    First, these units have lower ammunition, accuracy, and damage than dedicated javelin units. Second, they cost more to build and maintain. Third, they are (generally) worse in melee then comparable units (for example, Illyrian infantry loses in direct melee with hoplites, hastati, iberian infantry, etc.). Last of all, it's a question of style. This is my vision for these units, anyone else is more than free to develop their own! I developed this roster to give the Epirote player the option of building their armies in a new way. The vanilla roster still exists and nothing compels you to build/use units you don't like or feel unbalance the game.

That said, I'm always interested in feedback for tweaking the balance. I believe I'll be downgrading some of the melee stats on the untrained units as well as bumping up the build costs a bit.

So does this add to the Illerian unit rosters too then if im reading this right?
    as in Delmetae, Ardiaei, and Daorsi?

i get the additional units for the Epirote (they need it bad so do the Illyrians too), but are the Illyrian troops actually for those Illyrian nations or just for mercs or what not??
    *Venienti Occurrite Morbo*
    Meet The Misfortune As It Comes
    -Latin Proverb-

"A house of judgment so divine,"
    "That we burn our brothers!"
    -Unearth - Hail the Shrine-

Default Re: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP) [Updated 9/26/2013]

Version 1.0.4 released. Notes in the OP (balance + fix to Dardanian Bondsman Cav not throwing javelins)

d/l link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7u...7t/EEP104.pack

Quote Originally Posted by Killergold88 View Post
    So does this add to the Illerian unit rosters too then if im reading this right?
    as in Delmetae, Ardiaei, and Daorsi?

i get the additional units for the Epirote (they need it bad so do the Illyrians too), but are the Illyrian troops actually for those Illyrian nations or just for mercs or what not??
    I have not modified these factions because they are not playable in the vanilla campaign and I am fairly certain some of these units might unbalance the game without extensive AI testing. If there is interest in expanding the rosters for NPC factions or adding to the merc pool I will look in to adding some of the new units to the permission file. Mainly I just want to keep this pack as compatible as possible with other mods.

PM are refusing to wrk, so i'm posting here. i made few of Illyrian unit cards and tested them in-game, they should work fine. But i have trouble deciding what card-style chose for illyro-italian troops. Other illyrians use celtic design, but i'm not sure if it would be appropriate for more hellinised guys.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q4.../New_icons.rar

Well the Illyrians do need some roster help imo, and it would be nice if it were to continue over to them, at least some of the units... im actually doing that right now personally
    *Venienti Occurrite Morbo*
    Meet The Misfortune As It Comes
    -Latin Proverb-

"A house of judgment so divine,"
    "That we burn our brothers!"
    -Unearth - Hail the Shrine-