Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP) [Updated 01/06/2014] -patch8.1 compatible!

Default Re: [WIP] Epirote Expansion Project (EEP)

This is true, but I can't find any sources that imply any Epirote leader actually raised an elephant troop themselves. Trying to overcome some final hurdles getting these units to show up for construction in the campaign. Once that's dealt with I'll be making a first release!

Hey Aelexander, theres a tool in the mod workshop that now has a create your own unit feature in the beta stages.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?620300-Rome-2-Editor-0-2-(updated-18-09-Create-New-Unit-added))

Also for units cards, I'd suggest just using unit cards from the unused factions like those Illyrian factions to the north, Oddrysian kingdom and Etruscan league etc. Also the unit cards arent very clear on what armour the units wear so its alot easier to 'suspend disbelief' so to speak when using other factions' cards. The Macedonian Royal Peltast card and Thorax swordsmen unit card could be quite handy for a few of your units.#

Oh, and the latest PFM has a cntrl + c/ cntrl + p feature, so thatll save alot of time copying and pasting. I only found out today, haha.
    Last edited by Mr. Os; September 18, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

Just to remind you something guys. Epirus, under the reign of king alexander(brother of Olympias) made an alliance with Philip of Macedon. The Epirotes assimilated the macedonian way, they started using phalanxes and we know that Alexander when he invaded in magna Graecia he had phalanxes. And of course we know that under the reign of Pyrrus many Macedonians took shelter in the kingdom.So, the epirotes used extensively phalanxes in the battlefield as a typical hellenistic/hellenic kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by beos777 View Post
    Just to remind you something guys. Epirus, under the reign of king alexander(brother of Olympias) made an alliance with Philip of Macedon. The Epirotes assimilated the macedonian way, they started using phalanxes and we know that Alexander when he invaded in magna Graecia he had phalanxes. And of course we know that under the reign of Pyrrus many Macedonians took shelter in the kingdom.So, the epirotes used extensively phalanxes in the battlefield as a typical hellenistic/hellenic kingdom
    I agree with this as a general principle, which is why I didn't mind adding the Agema (elite) units. In the first stage of this mod I wanted to introduce some flavor from the other corner of the kingdom since everyone seems to be going Macedon/Sparta crazy at the moment. Let's have some variety! I think the vanilla pike selection is rather paltry, but that's fine as long we can beef up more overlooked part of the unit roster.

Great initiative!

Do that, make it happen and i'll recolor all the Epirote units individually!

And we shall have peace *palpatine grins*

Check my mod btw
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...UPD-19-09-2013

And godspeed mate, keep up the good work!

Illyrian Archers will suck like they did history right?
    Also can you give a background and explain what makes Italo-Illyrian troops different?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonCrayon View Post
    Illyrian Archers will suck like they did history right?
    Also can you give a background and explain what makes Italo-Illyrian troops different?
    Yes. In the short term this is solved by sharply reducing their accuracy. In the future I will probably add a new bow type ('crude_bow') and associated projectile with relevant reduced stats (lower range than the basic bow).

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Aelexander View Post
    Ran into some trouble early in the day but got around to adding Chaonian Agema (pikemen). Bigger update coming later this evening!

Chaonian Agema
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Those where my personal favorite unit for Epirus in the old Europa Barbarorum mod! Congrats!!

Default Re: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP)

I'm really excited for Epirus to have those Molossian Wardogs...

Can't wait until you have a solid release for us Aelexander!
    Be on alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in Love. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Godsspeed. Every faction needs this and I have the long wait for RTR to come out and make this game playable. This looks like a nice start for Epirus. Why keep the orange and green color scheme though?

Looking forward to this. Epirus is my favorite of the greek city states.

Big ol' update on the front page. New screenshots, etc. Gotta tweak a few things and hopefully I can release today!

@Dago Red: They have those colors because I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to recolor things. It's actually something I need assistance with and I'd be more than happy to take suggestions as to how to retool the overall look of the faction so it stops resembling something I'd regurgitate after eating a bad burrito. I do like the green tho. Maybe Forest-Green and Gold, with black or silver highlights?
    Last edited by Aelexander; September 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

I like it, I've sent you a PM about helping out

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

I'm really looking forward to this!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Can't wait for this. Epirus has been my favorite faction since EB came out. I was highly disappointed with their roster when I first booted up rome 2. Again can't wait and thanks.

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

Amazing work mate.

It's here folks. Get it while its hot. My rig sucks, so please post any sweet screenshots you grab of the new units. If you run into any balance issues or bugs you think are game-breaking shoot them here ASAP so I can work the fixes into the next version.

Version 1.0
    Download mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/57...8eq/EEP10.pack

Things I'm interested in tackling next:

• Tweaking the faction colors (Green, Gold, and Silver seem more exciting then puke & sawdust
    • Recoloring certain units (Warriors of Hades need to be.... darker)
    • Rebalancing ranged units - current version is kind of a guestimate of where the balance should be, I have no idea how these units stack up in the mid-to-late game on the campaign. Also dunno if the AI will build them as Epirus.
    • Waiting for someone to crack the AOR problem (there is a reference to auxilia regions in the .pack files, but the tables letting us define the contents of a region and which factions get to 'look' at those unit lists are MIA... c'mon CA!)
    • Adding a new building (Temple of Hades)
    • Tweaking technology progression so the Illyro-Italian troops don't unlock until you're military level 2 in all categories)
    • Eel Men (because they gotta be cool...)

As I stated in the OP, my current rig is quite underpowered, so I'd love to see what some of these units looked like on higher-end machines (or with some of the graphical enhancement mods). Also, let know about any compatibility problems you experience. Most of the additions shouldn't overlap with the popular gameplay mods (like Radious), but the projectile and missile weapons table were altered and include changes from the Fire-at-Will (javelins) mod, as well as the combat camera mod (you will be able to zoom a lot closer to units on the battlefield map). I did all my testing against a vanilla copy of the game and I haven't run into anything breaking, but who knows?

Anyway, enjoy!

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Re: Epirote Expansion Project (EEP) [Updated 9/19/2013]

That's some great job here, but since none is using them why not make Aitolian units available for Epirus ?
    Aitolia is under Epirus in the game at the moment and Aitolians were renown mercenaries!
    Aitolian Thyreophoroi
    Aitolian Thorakitai
    Aitolian peltasts
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Congratulations on the progress.

Found a bug. Illyrian Spear warband are a ranged unit instead of a melee unit. They use their pila as a range weapon, but dont charge. Is that intended?
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

This is intentional. Most of the Illyrian units have their ranged weapon enabled at the start of battle and have 'Fire-at-will' enabled. If you want to turn this behavior off, just hit the 'melee' toggle and they'll perma-switch to their melee weapons till you decide to change it.