Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Athalwulf's Natural Dyes - Version 3.0 (ALL African Factions Added)

Default Re: Athalwulf's Natural Dyes - Version 1.0 (UPDATES INCOMING)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    It is possible, but you have to do it unit by unit. Look at the unit_variant_color's table - I assume if you have two units of the same entry you just enter the name for the faction for a particular row. That is what I am doing for my carthage overhaul, and I'll have to credit you for the RGB values for the Arverni - just the kind of red/green/brown I was looking for.
    That's good news, but I'm afraid it's far too much work for me at the moment .

Agrez's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Athalwulf's Natural Dyes - Version 2.0 (ALL Vanilla Factions Update)

change the macedonian red to purple and add some black uniforms too it will be more awesome

Default Re: Athalwulf's Natural Dyes - Version 2.0 (ALL Vanilla Factions Update)

Just throwing this out as a suggestion, but for the Barbarian factions, I would love to see just plain, undyed, linen shirts. Kind of a yellowish white color, accented by their factions cloak or whatever, of course.

Having shirts that are the correct factional color just seems kind of silly looking to me. Like a uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by gagonious View Post
    change the macedonian red to purple and add some black uniforms too it will be more awesome
    I had the Macedonian color scheme as red/white/black at first but changed it to red/white/white after looking at some historical sources. I also found a lot of sources claiming that red/white/white was the color scheme for Egypt, Athens, Sparta and Epirus, but I thought that would leave too little variety in the faction colors.

Quote Originally Posted by (Decoy) View Post
    Just throwing this out as a suggestion, but for the Barbarian factions, I would love to see just plain, undyed, linen shirts. Kind of a yellowish white color, accented by their factions cloak or whatever, of course.

Having shirts that are the correct factional color just seems kind of silly looking to me. Like a uniform.
    This is a little difficult because of how Rome 2 handles uniform colors. Basically all I did was change the three original colors to something more appropriate and the game randomizes them across different parts of the models. I have no control over which color goes where.

Quote Originally Posted by Athalwulf View Post
    This is a little difficult because of how Rome 2 handles uniform colors. Basically all I did was change the three original colors to something more appropriate and the game randomizes them across different parts of the models. I have no control over which color goes where.
    Would it be possible to replace one of the existing three colors with plain linen? I'm certainly not suggesting that you change this to suit my specific tastes, but if you agree, then that may be a possible solution.

I had the Macedonian color scheme as red/white/black at first but changed it to red/white/white after looking at some historical sources. I also found a lot of sources claiming that red/white/white was the color scheme for Egypt, Athens, Sparta and Epirus, but I thought that would leave too little variety in the faction colors.
    For the most part I really like your color choices. The Greek factions though could stand to have more red, generally speaking.

For example, Egypt could be Red/White/Tan, Sparta Red/White/Brown, Epirus Red/Off-White/Blue, etc. On Athens I think it's ok to not use red, but pretty much all of the Hellenic / Hellenistic states were known for wearing Red. I don't particularly like Blue for the Ptolemies, and in my own personal modding of faction colors I haven't been able to settle on anything.

Also, Macedonians and Epirotes are often described and portrayed with Reds, Purples and Blues. Perhaps giving Macedon and Epirus a different mix of Reds, Tans, Whites, Blues, and Purples would help to keep them interesting yet realistic?

I'd also like to add that I'm probably going to replace my personal faction color mod with yours. It's just excellent!

FAN-Bloody-TASTIC!

Can't wait to see this in action! Now all we need is that blood dlc
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Very nice work ! Downloading it right now.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Athalwulf, I downloaded Mod Manager as suggested and your mod works like a charm. The colours are brilliantly muted where needed, and add both atmosphere and realism. I've downloaded the new version as well.

Fantastic work so far, and I'm looking foward to seeing how the Gauls, Britons and Dacians come along and how they differ from the Germanic tribes.

This is a must have mod

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    For the most part I really like your color choices. The Greek factions though could stand to have more red, generally speaking.

For example, Egypt could be Red/White/Tan, Sparta Red/White/Brown, Epirus Red/Off-White/Blue, etc. On Athens I think it's ok to not use red, but pretty much all of the Hellenic / Hellenistic states were known for wearing Red. I don't particularly like Blue for the Ptolemies, and in my own personal modding of faction colors I haven't been able to settle on anything.

Also, Macedonians and Epirotes are often described and portrayed with Reds, Purples and Blues. Perhaps giving Macedon and Epirus a different mix of Reds, Tans, Whites, Blues, and Purples would help to keep them interesting yet realistic?

I'd also like to add that I'm probably going to replace my personal faction color mod with yours. It's just excellent!
    Yah, the sources I found labeled nearly Hellenic/Greek group as fans of red and white, but I figured it would be ridiculous having half of the playable factions using the same color scheme. Rome, Carthage and Macedon already use red/white in my pack, so adding Egypt, Sparta, Athens and Epirus to that felt excessive to me and I thought I'd mix up the colors for some combat diversity. I know it's not accurate, though.

The main problem lies in the fact that I can only assign 3 colors to each faction, so I can't really add tan, blue and purple to Macedon without bumping out red and white.

Also, thanks for your kind words! I worked all day on testing out each shade per faction and I'm really pleased with my results.

Quote Originally Posted by (Decoy) View Post
    Would it be possible to replace one of the existing three colors with plain linen? I'm certainly not suggesting that you change this to suit my specific tastes, but if you agree, then that may be a possible solution.
    I was considering doing this from the start, so that most of the barbarian factions would have some of the same occuring colors, but I tried to add more personality to each tribe. In retrospect, I don't think I executed it perfectly and I want to go back and revisit the Germanic tribes before moving on to the next wave of factions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    Athalwulf, I downloaded Mod Manager as suggested and your mod works like a charm. The colours are brilliantly muted where needed, and add both atmosphere and realism. I've downloaded the new version as well.

Fantastic work so far, and I'm looking foward to seeing how the Gauls, Britons and Dacians come along and how they differ from the Germanic tribes.

This is a must have mod
    Wow! Thank you!

Hopefully CA can take some hints from this mod and others.

+1
    I was disgusted by C.A code colors...a very good approach, thanks you Athalwulf
    I hope you will do something for oriental purple pyjaman-wearers. Its almost impossible to play Parthian seriously actually.

Thank you. I love the colors looks very natural !

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Beautiful, I'm downloading this. Alone the change to Pontus and Partia makes this great
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Xelathur's Avatar Ducenarius

Ok, this is THE best mod right now for Rome 2. Thank you Athalwulf!
    Please do more fixes, your attention to detail is great and this is JUST the kind of mod this horrible bloated game needs!

Thank you.
    One’s back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi.

The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 82

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Default Re: Athalwulf's Natural Dyes - Version 1.0 (UPDATES INCOMING)

I don't think I'm worrying too much at all. I don't play factions that look bad, and I loathe going into battle against a faction with terrible colors.

As far as I'm aware, it's impossible to give a faction more than 3 different colors to rotate between. If it was possible I'd give every faction a lot more options, but I don't think it is.

NOTE: Just finished Parthia and Pontus. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing Parthia next now that the colors are tolerable. Only the Greek factions left and then I'll post the updated pack.
    When I said about 'faction colours' & 'uniformed' I was thinkin' more of the unit you had almost all in green on yr old screenies. Please don't take what I said as criticism because toning down the colours in this game is very much needed.
    I use Mitch's colour mod atm but will give yr's a spin ... Cheers

The link wont work for me for reason

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Quote Originally Posted by AussieWolf View Post
    The link wont work for me for reason
    Worked for me .. Try this (see attach')
    Attached Files Attached Files