Thread: Editing the range of units?

Default Editing the range of units?

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm using the Editor, but I can't see range anywhere...can someone help me please?
    Get to the trireme!

Default Re: Editing the range of units?

Bump...this is really important for me
    Get to the trireme!

Foederatus

You mean the PFM, right? Ranges are no longer based on units, but on their weapon. To change the range you're going to need to either change their 'primary missile weapon' in the land_units table, or edit the maximum range of the actual weapon in the projectiles_tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacciato View Post
    You mean the PFM, right? Ranges are no longer based on units, but on their weapon. To change the range you're going to need to either change their 'primary missile weapon' in the land_units table, or edit the maximum range of the actual weapon in the projectiles_tables.
    It turns out I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, despite all of the reading I've done. The problem is that there isn't an uber-noob dummie's guide to it! I don't suppose you could do me a favour and walk me through how to edit the range? From that as a basis, I'm sure I'll be able to work out how to do other things such as ammunition and damage...
    Last edited by Lord-Fisher; September 15, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Get to the trireme!

Foederatus

Sure. I'll start from the beginning and go from there. Just a head's up though, I don't make a separate mod right now, I just edit the vanilla data pack, which isn't usually suggested. I keep a copy of the untouched data pack in a separate folder, and I replace it every time I want to start a new campaign. If you want, you can either make a mod or download one that already has the db you want to edit.
    As for the actual steps, I'll start from the beginning.
    1. Open up the Pack File Manager.
    2. File -> Open CA pack -> data_rome2.pack
    3. Scroll down to 'projectiles_tables' and click the '+' to expand
    4. Click on 'projectiles', a table should appear on the right.
    5. Under the 'key' column, find the projectile you want to edit the range on and scroll over to the 'effective range' column. Change the value to whatever you want
    6. Go to ''Options' at the top of the program -> deselect 'CA packs are read only'
    7. Save. Your changes should be good.
    Now, the catch is that you need to know what projectile your unit uses. Some of them should be obvious, like slingers using 'sling_stone'. However there are also 'sling_stone_improved' and I'm not sure what units exactly use them, but under the 'land_units' table I think you can check by filtering the primary_missile_weapon. Another catch is that the range improvement or unimprovement applies to ALL units using that weapon. So if you change the range of something like the regular 'sling_stone', you can count on the computer gaining that advantage.
    Last edited by Cacciato; September 15, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: formatting

Foederatus

Damn it, I'm sorry the way that post turned out, it was formatted correctly when I made it.

Thank you so much! I can finally make mods to my hearts content! If I ever make it big in the modding industry, I'll remember you
    Get to the trireme!