Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: [STIM] Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 4.0] - DOWNLOAD HERE - Updated September 28th 2014

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.3] Updated Sept. 19th

There's something about the behavior of the infantry unit that i don't like, when i'm defending, say i use Roman Legion, the enemy attacks and i don't use shield walls since they leave too big of a gap for me, so i leave the infantry idle and wait for the enemy to charge, but then after they met contact, my Roman legion started to break formation and after the enemy is routed, they automatically give chase, which is a deadly error cause they move out the line, leaving a big gap and that could be the end for me. After every successful enemy repellent i have to issue new orders for the unit to return to line. Is it possible to let the unit stand guard? Or at least let the unit's rank expandable during shield wall formation ? That would be really great

Quote Originally Posted by StylesM13 View Post
    Entotz : I have not said anything about historical accuracy. ..... itīs just kinda like "charge and throw pila for the win" system right now...and the tactics goes mostly aside....once the shield walls and phalanxes would be fixed for good .... it would make a huge difference. Same with the testudo - but that changed remarkably in the recent time.
    i hope so too, i still dont want to finish my campaign while there is a lot of major flaw in AI

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    I havn't touched pila damage at all. I only reduced the amount of ammo melee units carry.
    o,O really?my mistake then. i like this pila feature a lot. well when roman did only as Styles said it might not accurate but i agree if less unit can use the ability.

i put the 2tpy file in the data folder and am still getting one turn per year? the rest works fine. nice mod

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@GyozaRamen
    Everything you've mentioned is a feature/bug of vanilla.

@freeboy
    Please read the readme more closely. The data folder is not the correct location for the 2tpy startpos file.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] Updated Sept. 24th

-----Version 1.4 Has Been Released!!!!!-----

I can't think of any conflicts off the top of my head, but this release has a lot of changes. It should be save game compatible with 1.3, but I'd really recommend starting a new campaign.
    Also, if you aren't already opted in to Patch3, get with the program! Seriously, its a good patch. Download that shite.

-Using the Mod Manager is now available as an option!
    Please refer to the readme included with the download if you get lost. Otherwise it's all very straight-forward.
    -All Changes and Improvements present in CA Patch3 are now integrated with the mod.
    CA has made quite a few efforts to reduce the combat speed and kill rate of the game compared to release day. Most of these changes are good, and make sense. As a result, nearly all of their changes in Patch 3 that would have been ignored by this mod due to conflicts, have instead been integrated to work in tandem with the mod. The result, is really very pleasing. The length of battle is truly epic now, and you will have plenty of time to maneuver, flank, and plan.

In fact, I almost think that battle-length is too long. Fixing this would be very simple and easy to do, but I would really like outside feedback on this before I start making edits. Please post your opinions on battle length after you've had a chance to play a few battles in your campaigns.
    -Added Hoplite Phalanx and Shield Screen to spear-wielding units that were previously missing them in vanilla.
    This was on the to-do list for awhile, and I heard enough people request it to finally get off my butt and get it done. There were a number of units that had Merc or Aux variants without access to these formations, when their standard variants had them. And even worse, there were standard units with nothing at all. This has been corrected.
    -Square Formation given Bracing and Anti-Cav bonuses that were missing in vanilla.
    Using Square WILL make a difference in the face of charging cavalry. Be aware of this when attacking and defending.
    -Removed Chant from Celtic Druids.
    It didn't quite sit with the theme of this mod. Farewell!
    -Removed Shield Wall from Aet_Cav.
    Cavalry with Shield Wall? What? This vanilla mistake is now corrected.
    -Flag Cap Timers reduced from 5 minutes to 4-to-3 minutes.

With the removal of several instances of nonsensical Flag Cap battles introduced by CA Patch3, these timers can now slowly be brought back down to relevant numbers. We'll start the reductions off slow for now.
    -Champions Unit Training XP Bonus reduced from 30 to 20.
    The Champions' ability to train and level up units is fairly OP when playing 1tpy. If using 2 or 4tpy, its even worse. This 33% reduction should balance things a bit without making this feature of the Champion irrelevant.
    -Minor Settlement Open-Field Battle chance reduced from 85% to 75%.
    Another adjustment in the face of CA Patch3. They actually made this number 50% by default now. The release day number was 0%. So this will effect the odds of the AI selecting to Sally Out, while allowing the Player to Sally Out at his or her discretion.
    -Steppe Tribesmen were classified as spearmen in everyway in the db, yet they carried Celtic Axes. This has been corrected.
    -Minor Tweaks to Formation Bonuses.
    Improved balance overall.

Upcoming Changes that didn't make it in this release, but can be expected in the next:
    -Update Startpos.esf (tpy) files for CA Patch3.
    -Give Transport Ships a new "category" completely separating them from standard 'Light', 'Medium', and 'Heavy' Naval ships. This will make nerfing them more complete and comprehensive.
    -Give melee units classified as "Peltasts" 2 pila ammo again. Other melee units will remain at 1 ammo.
    -??? Raise Kill Rate ???? Seriously, I need feedback on this.

I still need Banner Art!!!!

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] Updated Sept. 24th - CA Patch3 Updates Included!

@GyozaRamen
    Making some assumptions here, so basically you've set them up in a formation and then told them to get into shield wall right? And of course, they compact together and there are large spaces as a result, correct?

What you can try now is to select the formation again but keep shield wall on, they should automatically close the line together. Or in other words, put them in shield wall first and then form your lines!

@Silven: Your mod is great, and I can confirm that battles work fine with the new patch and like vanilla (including the annoying constant rotation leaving flanks exposed bug) but with your morale changes and other edits, the battles are far more fun and exciting. We actually tested a battle of a handful of elite units (3 I think) against thousands of basic levy type units. The elite units slaughtered them of course, at first the levies kept coming and trying their hardest to outflank the elites but the elites simply kept overpowering them and routing them, eventually they lost confidence and routing happened more frequently. Finally, all the levies routed, and the General decided to retreat rather than attempt to charge the lines (the other player who was testing with me couldn't even order the General to charge as the general had already decided to run), we thought that was brilliant!

@silven: -??? Raise Kill Rate ???? Seriously, I need feedback on this.

No I think raising the kill rate will just make the battles end far sooner given that casualties influence morale heavily don't they?

Don't -raise kill rate- please,

And make a more hard game!

Scavrvs's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.0]

Hi to everybody and a very grateful thank-you to Silven: I consider your mod the best balanced, till now!
    I like to play a campaing with 2TPY and I'm using Tech_Build 2TPY mod to maintain the game balanced; but I'm still looking for a mod that can re-balance the recruitment on a 2TPY scale.
    Someone has already found it or, otherwise, could you - Silven - implement this feature into your 2TPY mod?

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] Updated Sept. 24th - CA Patch3 Updates Included!

Hopefully CA can fix formation-attack in patch-3-beta because right now it's very janky sometimes in how it tries to mirror who fights EVEN WHEN you lock formation. It's very common to see men pivot straight into the enemy killing themselves... Not your fault Silven, I love the changes, and this isn't your fault.

Decanus

This mod is the hotness.

Laetus

All these changes look awesome. Could someone please tell me can I use the new (1.4) version or it's needed to wait some time? I slightly disturbed about the "broken" thing.

Decanus

@tyler he just said in case it's broken in some unforeseen manner.
    Last edited by wrcromartie; September 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

re two tpy
    mia culpa.. thanks .. I totally missed those details when I read it! GREAT mod btw

I have now had two crashed in 30 minutes of game time... none last night...
    Im running current rome two patched... and its been stable from game crashed the last few patches and running another mod...
    I removed the other mod...fyi
    with these crashed I was using your version 3.. just a note as you have been asking for feedback....
    other than the crashing the mod seems fine... It worked with my saved game... until it crashed...
    One crash was in a battle, the other just after a battle
    Last edited by freeboy; September 24, 2013 at 01:03 PM.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@jlc_mocha
    While this is true, if the Kill Rate were increased balancing the way Morale responds to it would be easy enough.
    Really, the question is this: If a battle takes 25 minutes to complete, would people prefer that the very same battle take 20 minutes to complete instead.

@Scythian7
    I don't know about you, but I find Legendary to be one hell of a challenge. If you want a harder game, I'd recommend trying that.

@Scavrvs
    An interesting idea.... I'll give it some thought.

@tylerskald
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the broken thing"? Nothing is broken, I simply give players the option to rollback their Version number whenever I release a new version, in case I missed something and then don't visit the website for a day or something because I'm busy. It's simply a contingency plan.

Speaking of which....

Version 1.4 has been upgraded from [Needs Testing & Feedback] to [Stable & Working As Intended].
    Everyone waiting to upgrade from 1.3 can feel free to get their hands on the goodies now.

Decanus

Silven - looking forward to trying your mod out tonight. Great work so far!

Need to bring back SOME of the special abilities. Ones like Chant which were used ALL THE TIME by those troops should be available. Just because there are more abilities than previous titles doesn't make it wrong. Fewer, but not (next to) none, please.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Decanus

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.0]

Silven - I was playing your mod tonight and enjoying your changes to the campaign. It seemed like a more difficult go around for the first 15 turns or so I ran through and the battles definitely felt tougher.

However, I wonder if you might have done something that has nerf'd the phalanx somehow - specifically the phalanx vs cavalry is absolutely not working as it usually would.

I had a unit of light horse charge uphill head on into my braced+stationary elite macedonian pikemen...usually this would result in a pile of dead horses. But in this case, the light horse charges straight into my phalanx and practically bounce off. The posted screenshot is after they charged and continued to fight for about 1 min...where the pikes had continued to do minimal casualties while taking higher casualties from the horsemen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-24_00003.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	836.3 KB 
ID:	294906

So basically, the light horse beat my foot companions 1v1 uphill. That doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by wrcromartie; September 24, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added screenshot

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

No, I definitely didn't nerf the Pike Phalanx. I made it stronger in fact. Your observation is truly bizzare because I specifically tested charging Heavy Cataphracts into Macedonian Pikemen and they got slaughtered charging head first into the pikes.

The only thing I can even think of is some kind of physical contact bug? If they were charging uphill maybe they somehow got underneath the pikes without actually contacting them? I dunno, I'm at a loss, I haven't witnessed anything like that.

You did something to the pikes.. Cause vanilla footcompanions, rape oathsworn head on as they should.. They struggle and sometimes lose with your mod.