Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: [STIM] Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 4.0] - DOWNLOAD HERE - Updated September 28th 2014

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.0]

@StrikeQ

Ahh I see what you mean. Ya that could definitely make things easier. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the tip.

@AbeS17

Could you be more specific? What archers were you using? What were you firing at? How far away was their target?

@Bridger15
    I believe this kind of behavior would involve hard-coding an ability, in the same way that pressing the testudo button makes all the individuals change formation and position their shields in a specific way. To my knowledge, it is beyond the scope of what modding can accomplish. Although there are obviously plenty of examples of units throwing missiles while moving in the game and Shogun 2 managed to give horse archers this ability, so I could be wrong.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.1]

Version 1.1 has been released!

This version is save game compatible with the previous version. Now test for me my minions, TEST!

-----Version 1.1
    -----

-Increased Navy Cap for Imperium Level 4 and 5. Totals are now 2, 4, 7, 10, 13.
    -Removed all recruitment caps for Naval Units that didn't make sense.
    The only caps that remain are the very best elite Heavy Tower ships that some factions have access to. This cap was increased from 1 to 4.
    -Cavalry Charge Values were corrected to numbers that made more sense. (Some Cav had values as low as 3!? Seriously CA? A wild horse with no rider would hit harder than this.)
    The general flow of things now are Lancer Cav charges harder than Spear Cav who charges harder than Sword Cav who charges harder than Missile Cav. No Charge values are below 15 anymore.
    -Elite Spear and Pike Units were given an additional 5 bonus damage against Cav and Elephants.
    Standard Spear and Pike units retain their bonuses from Version 1.0.
    -All Projectiles had their "Point Blank Range" decreased by 5 meters.
    -Flaming Arrows are now slightly less accurate at range.
    -Attacking Testudo received a slight speed boost.
    The armor bonus is already very high, so buffing the movement speed will hopefully provide the right balance. The units will still walk, but in a slightly faster hurry now.
    -Shield Wall was missing the armor bonus that was intended in the last release. This has been corrected.
    -Pike Wall recieved minor Melee Defense buff.
    -Spear Wall/Shield Screen recieved minor Melee Defense buff. Also minor buff to bonus against Cav and Elephants.
    -Minimal Tax Rate growth bonus increased.

AbeS17's Avatar Foederatus

I was using Egiptian Infantry and they did't make it to archers, they had like 50% causalities and broke (at long range there were about ~10 dead per volley, but and almost double i think when they break point blank range). I think that AI had Persian Light Archers, or smth like that (i'm sure about Light archers, and i was fighting Media).

Loving the mod mate, nothing to complain about yet. Not to sure if you did anything to public order but if you did I like it. (Seems better to what I had before the mod)

Hi Silven, looks like an excellent mod. 2 questions:

- Close combat (supposedly, haven't noticed too much difference) affects AI hoplites and pikes actually using their respective formations rather than just coming at you with swords
    - Radious' AI mod somewhat re-balances AI armies away from their over-focus on ranged units.

Any chance of these being incorporated? I ask because I assume the AI mod will not work with your files as you have done some campaign changes (which I like better than Radious') yourself?

-deguerra

nice mod so far. but i've got a question. you suggest using the two turns per year mod but I use the 4tpy. will the 4tpy mod cause unbalance with your mod or doest it matter?

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@AbeS17

Ah yes, these are definitely results I would expect then. Egyptian Infantry are really terrible infantry, with very little armor and low morale values. Any form of eastern archer (persian, median, etc) are almost always going to be using either Recurve or Composite Bows, which do the highest missile damage of any missile infantry (this holds true in vanilla too). They have pretty high rates of fire as well.

So marching a militia unit straight at Recurve Archers is going to be a terrible idea, as it should be. Because of their high rate of fire, they are a bit more dangerous than others, but they are supposed to be, as Archers are the calling card of the Eastern Civs. If you don't bring Cav against these units (which just received charge bonuses in the most recent patch) then it's already an uphill battle.

@Reggum

Thanks so much for the feedback! Glad to hear you are enjoying things so far. Be sure to come back with your feedback if you notice any problems or have suggestions.

@deguerra

Do you mean it effects hoplites and pikes using their main weapons at all times? Or do you mean it makes them stay in their special formations at all times, including combat? If you mean the latter, then this is actually something I'm looking into to trying to make happen for all the formation types. i.e. Testudo, Spear Wall, Phalanx, etc.

As far as the CAI over-recruiting ranged units, have you seen this happen in my mod yet? Which faction and during what turn in your campaign? I personally havn't witnessed any extremely imbalanced armies yet so if you have specific examples I'll be sure to look into it. I've seen a few 20 unit stacks with about 40% slingers here and there, but these are almost always very early game and from factions that only start with about 3 or 4 units to pick from (and as such are surprisingly balanced given their options).

@tigger_t

No, using 1tpy, 2tpy, or 4tpy will not cause any imbalances with my mod no matter which option you choose. It's purely a matter of personal taste.
    Last edited by Silven; September 16, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

AbeS17's Avatar Foederatus

Ok, but Egipt don't have early on any heavy armored units, so it's impossible to fight eastern factions. I know that Egiptian Infantry is useless (i see no point of having this infantry - ridiculously low attack, damage, and defense, and low-medium armor) but early on the heaviest egiptian infantry will have like 60 armor and that unit will be pikemen, which also is slaughtered by archers. After slowing down the mele fight, damage done by missile units also should be lowered. It's just my way of seeing missile units.
    And i really don't like minor siege battles being open field battle

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    @deguerra

Do you mean it effects hoplites and pikes using their main weapons at all times? Or do you mean it makes them stay in their special formations at all times, including combat? If you mean the latter, then this is actually something I'm looking into to trying to make happen for all the formation types. i.e. Testudo, Spear Wall, Phalanx, etc.
    I meant the former, but I suppose the latter would solve the same issue. Should romans always be fighting in testudo though?

As far as the CAI over-recruiting ranged units, have you seen this happen in my mod yet? Which faction and during what turn in your campaign? I personally havn't witnessed any extremely imbalanced armies yet so if you have specific examples I'll be sure to look into it. I've seen a few 20 unit stacks with about 40% slingers here and there, but these are almost always very early game and from factions that only start with about 3 or 4 units to pick from (and as such are surprisingly balanced given their options).
    To be perfectly honest I haven't played enough of your mod to be able to tell, but will do and report back.

To raise another question - any plans of reducing the morale-hits from unit losses slightly? I like the overall concept in vanilla, it's actually pretty realistic, but it does make for shorter battles, even with your kill-rate reduction.

-deguerra

-double post
    Last edited by deguerra; September 16, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Looking forward to this mod... Can't wait to get home and test it in a new campaign. Radious mods are going to a direction that differs too much from the concepts in the vanilla game, your mod seen's more reasonable.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@AbeS17

Egypt has the 2nd largest unit roster to choose from. They have plenty of equally good archers to choose from, a healthy selection of infantry, and plenty of melee and ranged cav.

I just tested a matched on Very Hard using only 4 egyptian inf and 2 camel spearmen (which can be acquired with level 2 barracks) against 1 Noble Horse Archer, 3 Persian Light Archers, and 1 Elite Persian Archer. I lost more men than the AI, but I won the battle. Honestly I don't even think that should be possible using the lowest level infantry and cav available but I won because I used my cavalry correctly. Try adjusting your Army compositions and your tactics and let me know what you come up with.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@deguerra

About testudo, I dunno yet. The whole idea of when units should use which weapons and in which formations and when those formations should be used..... all of those questions are something I'm carefully considering right now. As stated in my mission statement, and the end of the day I'll try to take a route that is the most balanced while adding to the game.

As to morale, yes plans have been made to adjust how it currently operates. I'll be increasing the overall threshold for morale breaks (as always, in moderation) while increasing the importance of the factors happening around the men. i.e. being flanked, dead friends, etc. I may also further increase the reduction in kill rate because currently fights aren't *quite* at the length I want them yet.

@Vinicam

Thanks! Can't wait to hear your feedback.

I love the direction you are taking with this. Keep up the good work. Special points for "Reworking Morale to have higher overall breaking-point thresholds, while giving more importance to actual morale-shaking events, like being flanked from behind." < this + reduced damage = much more realistic battles. I suggest you increase the fatigue rates for running also. Units should be exhausted after running the half the length of the battle map.

p.s. perhaps you should do something to reduce squalor and / or food consumption in cities.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@prithupaul

Thanks, I'm glad you like the direction so far! Did you mean you think I should increase the fatigue rates even more? Because I've already increased them a bit.

And about squalor and food consumption, I had actually put this on the very top of my to do list but then Patch2 from CA dropped right after I wrote it down. They claimed to reduce some of the squalor and food consumption so I was waiting to see how their changes played out before deciding if I needed to make my own. I don't want to reduce them too low, I think these 2 things are really underrated when it comes to sculpting the overall difficulty of a campaign. They need to remain relevant numbers to the player otherwise things get too easy no matter what difficulty you're playing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    @prithupaul

Thanks, I'm glad you like the direction so far! Did you mean you think I should increase the fatigue rates even more? Because I've already increased them a bit.

And about squalor and food consumption, I had actually put this on the very top of my to do list but then Patch2 from CA dropped right after I wrote it down. They claimed to reduce some of the squalor and food consumption so I was waiting to see how their changes played out before deciding if I needed to make my own. I don't want to reduce them too low, I think these 2 things are really underrated when it comes to sculpting the overall difficulty of a campaign. They need to remain relevant numbers to the player otherwise things get too easy no matter what difficulty you're playing on.
    I agree... Besides, it's not THAT hard to control food/squalor. You just have to plan your provinces and don't go upgrading every building.

@Silven, I really like how this mods looks and I'm goin to give it ago myself. I especially like what you've done with the missile ranges and spread tables. Just off the top of your head would you be able to tell us what factions/unit have what type of ranged weapons. Or better yet tell us how to look it up our selves. One of the things that I've always enjoyed with the mods like this is when the modder actually take their own personal time to answer questions from the users. So with that being said, thank you for allowing us to enjoy your work.

EDIT: (UGH!! TWC are running about as smooth as RTW2 atm jfc) Have you seen this mod by chance? or thought about adding something like this? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ed-units/page3 It basically gives the ability to throw their javelins/pila before the charge like RTW1 & MTW2

@silven. Best nights play I've had since launch day. Nothing has really p@:;,ed me off, combat feels good and the Ai seems like it is playing as well. Will give more constructive feedback when I've played some more. Thanks for your (and all the others) efforts.

The changes in the ranged units fire range should appear in the stats window? Mine looks like the bows still have the 125 range... How can I know if the mod is working?