Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How to make a custom unit with PFM

Default Re: How to make a custom unit with PFM

@ Man of West Gondor

Here is your etruscan unit using the Rome2 Editor, simple and fast: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zg.../Etrusc_Mod.7z
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My advice: Make first the unit with the basic tables to get familiar with process and then add more things but one at a time (new model, etc.) so if something goes wrong you'll know where to look.

@ Alexander

The same for you. I agree with Regoso, modding needs to go slow at the beginning and make one successful step at the time so in case of an error you can get just one step back and spot it.
    Last edited by husserlTW; September 19, 2013 at 04:55 AM.

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Aelexander View Post
    Yeah, this issue is driving me insane. Has no one else run in to this kind of trouble with custom units? What other entries could possibly be the culprit? I've got an entry for virtually every Hellenic building at this point and still nothing. It's also not kicking off any errors either and the units show up fine in the custom battle menu.
    I'm assuming you fought a few custom battles with your new unit. In your building_units_allowed_tables, are you sure you have the correct ID for your unit and main issue people forget - is the key column unique number? Each entry in table must have a unique key, I usually use 6 digits for it.

Another thing to check you setup custom battle ownership correctly, but did you setup the faction ownership through units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions or units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables?
    Last edited by izanagi11; September 19, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Quote Originally Posted by izanagi11 View Post
    I'm assuming you fought a few custom battles with your new unit. In your building_units_allowed_tables, are you sure you have the correct ID for your unit and main issue people forget - is the key column unique number? Each entry in table must have a unique key, I usually use 6 digits for it.

Another thing to check you setup custom battle ownership correctly, but did you setup the faction ownership through units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions or units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables?

You're a saint! +rep dude. That was the missing table. Epirus shall rise this afternoon!

@husserTW Thank you, i will use this as a guide to find out how to do this. Thank you so much again!
    Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and The Life..." (John 14:6) Yeshua HaMashiach
    http://khouse.org/

Guys. I cant browse this thread because a couple of users osting have a signiture linked to a malware site. PLEASE SORT IT OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Thanks i corrected all those threads by replacing their sigs on a different image hosting website. These are the types which are causing this issue:

And it can't really be dealt with because there may be a lot of members using these signatures. If i remember correctly i know some guy opened a thread in the rome 2 section and made these sig types and pretty sure he's the one that hosted them on the problematic niloblog.com. We need to find him and tell him to kill these links and reupload them on photobucket or imageshack, which are reliable image hosting websites.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

A very helpful tip to all thos doing this keep a text document of all your units names:

Example: type Gre_Perioikoi_Cav and save it in a text document helps with copy pasting

Exploring the files, I wanted to give the Falxmen a shield, I did everything correct but it seams that the animation of the falx, don`t allow it to wear a shield, the attach point apparently doesn`t exist. Then I found Thracian Warriors, and they use shields attached to them, but in the props format (celtic_thracian_shield). I did a test with the Hoplon, entered the game and then found the shield floating in the center of the unit. My question is, the thracian shield is actually a shield with an attach point, or it`s a prop that automatically attachs to the arm of the unit?

THanks.

im in desperate need of help atm something somewhere is wrong with my mod. My test unit works fine so the rest should as well. Its crashing to desktop on the loading screen or just hanging at the loading screen.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e0...est_Roster.rar is the mod

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e0...est_Roster.rar is the text file i keep to keep it some what organized

any help at all would be most welcome

Too many units to be checked... Probably some misspell somewhere. As we said one at a time so you can see where the error comes from. Open a spreadsheet and make a sheet for every table. Use the Rome 2 Editor and make one unit at a time. Test it if it is good copy the content of the TSV (you'll have them ready no need to export manually) in your spread sheet and continue. At the end copy the content of your spreadsheet in the final TSV and build your complete pack.

So now the icons and text problems are sorted out ? To do manually how should those be fixed? The text to me dont work and I have Italian version of the game.
    The new feature of the editor allows easy introduction of new units?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Too many units to be checked... Probably some misspell somewhere. As we said one at a time so you can see where the error comes from. Open a spreadsheet and make a sheet for every table. Use the Rome 2 Editor and make one unit at a time. Test it if it is good copy the content of the TSV (you'll have them ready no need to export manually) in your spread sheet and continue. At the end copy the content of your spreadsheet in the final TSV and build your complete pack.
    Ya thats what i get for doing the 1st 7 units then thinking to myself this is taking to dang long and just trying to do the other 30 at the same time lol.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Hello all. I managed to create a new unit and get everything working perfectly fine with my main mod file. It was in a movie type .pack file, and all was well.

But then after some thought, I decided I need to make my unit pack separate from my main mod, so I removed all the entries from my main movie .pack file, and made a new .pack file containing only my new units entries. I renamed the tables with my prefix, minimized the db files, and saved it.

First attempt to load the game didnt show any of changes, and I figured its because it needs to be a mod .pack file instead of movie, so I switched it and loaded the game using Mod Manager. Now the game gets stuck on the splash screen during loading and eventually crashes, and I can't figure out why for the life of me.

Would anyone be kind enough to look at the .pack file for me?
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/1e...it_Pack_1.pack

Could someone please tell me why my unit pack isn't working, its driving my crazy
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/906jkl

Tasty rep to

@ Silven

If you make a movie pack with a new unit, game will ignore it. If there is an error game also ignores it. If you make it mod type. game will load it and if finds an error it will crash on startup.

So in your first attempt (movie) game was running because it ignored your new unit (I do not think that you could see it in game). But in second attempt (mod) it first saw the problem and crashed.

There is at least one problem with your pack. Since you add a new short discription you need to add the unit_description_short_texts.tsv as well. Not the loc one which it is already there but the one from patch_rome2.pack db.

@ General George S. Patton

The pack you have is only for custom battles since it is missing building units allowed. There is at least a misspell in your historical text tsv (in main db) where you have: Rom_Polybian_Hastatil_Long

Where do you need that table anyway? Isn't long description in the html files of encyclopedia (cannot be modded like this)?

thanks husserlTW, I didn't know the long descriptions where like that so iv deleted everything related to them.

This pack is only for custom battles atm, but it is causes the game to black-screen immediately on launch

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@ Silven

If you make a movie pack with a new unit, game will ignore it. If there is an error game also ignores it.
    So in your first attempt (movie) game was running because it ignored your new unit (I do not think that you could see it in game).
    No actually, this isn't true. That's what I meant in my post when I said, "everything was working fine". The game recognized and loaded my custom unit when it was in my main mod, which is a movie type.
    It loaded it from a custom battle, and it loaded it from a campaign battle, with no problems.

There is at least one problem with your pack. Since you add a new short discription you need to add the unit_description_short_texts.tsv as well. Not the loc one which it is already there but the one from patch_rome2.pack db.
    I don't see this pack anywhere in the PFM?

@ General George S. Patton

Have you corrected land units table replacing with the original the historical descriptions entries (_long) since you removed the historical texts table?

@
    Silven

Well, that is interesting because it is the first time where a movie pack with a new unit did work and without a required db table!

Anyway, as I noted the table is in patch_rome2.pack and has the same name except the loc at the end.

Well, that is interesting because it is the first time where a movie pack with a new unit did work and without a required db table!

See this thread about strange things happening http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...modding-issues I am trying to add in the game a new naval unit, and I do not mean the entries in naval_units table, but the whole unit so there is a new naval unit for Rome, a quinquerem with hastati, but I cannot. I think maybe it is happening what Jack Lusted said.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 29, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@
    Silven

Anyway, as I noted the table is in patch_rome2.pack and has the same name except the loc at the end.
    Ya I'm not sure why, but it definitely worked. When I initially tested it in my full movie pack format, I hadn't yet changed the short tooltip to reference a brand new one, i just made it reference a vanilla one that was already present as a placeholder. But as far as it working in movie format, that most certainly worked, and I have no idea why.

And I don't have a patch_rome2.pack anywhere in my data folder. I ended up finding the table you're talking about in data_rome2.pack, and got everything working. But patch_rome2.pack does not exist in my data folder.

Good to here that it worked (obviously I noted wrongly the name of the pack).