Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Patch 7 Compatible! Automatically Updated Through Steam! ( 15/11/13)

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.3 RELEASED!! (30/9/2013)

Ok I defeted the Etruscans, I made some tests in custom battles and here is my report.
    I noticed some problems.
    1)I think missiles unit must be nerfed a little more, specially against heavy infantry and big shields.
    In testudo and shieldwall formation you don't lose any men but keep in mind AI dosn't use these formations.
    Missiles units should be more deadly against light infantry.
    2)I also notice this : Skirmisher VS Skirmisher no casualties at all!
    Archers VS javelins NO casualties javelins VS javelins nobody die.
    Javelin VS heavy infantry = a massacre.
    They are unarmoured light infantry with poor defence, small shields or not shields at all.
    3)slingers no damage VS all, pointless. you said in the info yes but AI recruits theme so very low damage is better then no damage at all.
    I have noticed slingers now throw rocks like arrows trajectory.
    4)Javelins have a ridicolous range and rateo-speed
    seems Zeus himself throws them from 300 metres. (I'm talking about velites/peltasts)

The rest seems ok. Morale is more realistic.
    Last edited by FabioCorr; September 30, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.3 RELEASED!! (30/9/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by FabioCorr View Post
    Ok I defeted the Etruscans, I made some tests in custom battles and here is my report.
    I noticed some problems.
    1)I think missiles unit must be nerfed a little more, specially against heavy infantry and big shields.
    In testudo and shieldwall formation you don't lose any men but keep in mind AI dosn't use these formations.
    Missiles units should be more deadly against light infantry.
    2)I also notice this : Skirmisher VS Skirmisher no casualties at all!
    Archers VS javelins NO casualties javelins VS javelins nobody die.
    Javelin VS heavy infantry = a massacre.
    They are unarmoured light infantry with poor defence, small shields or not shields at all.
    3)slingers no damage VS all, pointless. you said in the info yes but AI recruits theme so very low damage is better then no damage at all.
    4)Javelins have a ridicolous range and rateo-speed
    seems Zeus himself throws them from 300 metres. (I'm talking about velites/peltasts)

The previous version maybe was a little exaggerated you didn't kill anyone with missiles but now is too much IMO.

The rest seems ok. Morale is more realistic.
    Thank you for your feedback. Ever since I increased armour levels for heavy infantry and other units it's been very hard to balance missile units accordingly. CA did something very wrong with the coding. They gave the missile defence bonuses and weaknesses to armour instead of shields. That's why everything is confusing. It's almost like shields have no effect against missiles so that's where the trouble is coming from. CA gave the wrong field to the wrong piece of equipment. I'll look into this immediately. The good thing is that combat mods are savegame-compatible so you can just add the newest version right in when I release it and continue. I'm going to look into this tonight. I'll hopefully find a way around this.

I'm not sure why missile units don't die though. I've given those lot serious penalties and they still don't drop. I'll keep you updated.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

yes I don't understand why CA dosn't keep the rome1 damage style....
    If you can just fix the light javelins(velites/peltasts) range, is way too much,
    and the missiles VS missiles problem
    The mod really improve the gameplay, vanilla is a mess I hope CA improve the game in near future and help the modders too.

I think the real javelin range should be 50-60 metres max considering the world record today is 100 metres and they don't use war javelin of ancient world today.
    But this is only a suggestion.

Thanks for your work!
    Last edited by FabioCorr; September 30, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

yes I don't understand why CA dosn't keep the rome1 damage style....
    If you can just fix the light javelins(velites/peltasts) range, is way too much,
    and the missiles VS missiles problem
    The mod really improve the gameplay, vanilla is a mess I hope CA improve the game in near future and help the modders too.

I think the real javelin range should be 50-60 metres max considering the world record today is 100 metres and they don't use war javelin of ancient world today.
    But this is only a suggestion.

Thanks for your work!
    From what I heard, Rome 1 had a better projectile damage system than Rome 2 has. I'm restarting my combat mod because it went wrong somewhere. I'm just refreshing mod basically. The other stats are still there but if there is a bug in the missile section, it should be gone now. This is completely weird. No matter how high I put the damage or the AP, the missile unit soldiers just won't die. It has to be a bug somewhere in my mod. Pray this works, mate

You make a solid point there. The reason I had the javelin range go around about 140 is because 60 seems very small in Rome 2 and before your guys are standing still, the enemy is already charging you etc. I will reduce them.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013)

Version 1.4 is up now!

@Fabio: I made the range 100 metres because the firing of individual soldiers is too unreliable for me to make the range 50 metres. Now, every kind of unit can be killed by missiles if they cannot defend themselves. Those who had Testudo or Shield Wall can stay safe but those who don't or get caught up in combat and targeted will suffer heavy casualties. I hope you enjoy this version! Let me in on the feedback, brother. Have fun.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013)

Ok thank you for the fast fixes.
    I understand the point of the range. I think 100 is ok.
    Yes Rome1 had a better projectile damage system indeed, I played a lot rome1 and medieval2, in rome2 they improved a lot but many aspects are worse and they make the game more arcade less simulation, for example in rome1 and medieval2 you lose more men when shot by archers from the rear or flank or during combat, against heavy infantry missiles were not very effective, now seems the same no matter where you looking at and if you are ready to parry.
    I am a fan of the series I always love the realism and simulation of this series and I am very disappointed becouse the game is fantastic but they have removed much of its potential.

Thanks again for the fix and for the good mod I let you know if I find something else to fix.
    I'm playng a new campaign with your campaign mod too
    Bye

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod (Unit stats and combat length completely revamped!)

Working absolutely great...but, i just can't agree with javellin-ers to have so low ammo..since the enemy (even militia hoplites) have better armor...and can you imagine...a single militia hoplite blocking 4 peurokoi hoplite ? and giving the peurokoi hoplite a hard time..other than that..i love it..longer battles...to the last man..

Man I think this is a great version I made different tests on custom battles
    More armour value = less casualties now is much more noticeable
    (I don't think CA consider shield unfortunately
    Shield are consider like part of armour.)
    Units with high armour value can resist much more to missiles then light infantry, this is a real improvement.

I like arrows damage and javelins, slinger are too much overpowered for me, they completly destroy an entire unit 260 men medium infantry.
    I think slingers should have a damage similar to archers

The rest is really good, I love the precision and ammo reduction, more realistic IMO.
    I like ranged units a little more nerfed but I think you have found a good balance.

Thank you and continue with your good work.

Thank you, lads. I appreciate the feedback. gilagem, I will work on a variant which will allow you to have the same stats but with higher missile counts. It's relatively easy to do and if it allows you to get the experience you want, I'm all for it One very important thing you need to note is that every missile unit is super-effective at targeting the enemy's backs. From the front, your javelin volley may only kill a Spartan Hero, if that. However, from the back, or when they are engaging in a fight, you'd wipe out more 15 probably. Test it out for me. I'll get a higher javelin-count mod out for you, pal.

Also, the militia hoplites, like any other hoplites, are pretty hard to break from the front as they have very good defence from the Hoplon itself. However, their killing power is very slow, indeed. They will mount the kills if they bog you down long enough but a simple flank would throw them off balance. Hoplites phalanx, even full of levies, was very hard to break from the front and anyone with a Hoplon and a spear can make a for a good defensive trooper. Militia hoplites are good pinning troops while your elites flank and destroy.

@FabioCorr: Thanks, pal. There are shield slots in the coding for me to put values in but I was hoping for a specific field where you can dictate it's bonus towards missiles without adding anything more to their fighting skill which is hard to do. There's a field like this for the armour but not for the shields. Would be very helpful indeed. I can't leave fans of my work disappointed so always expect drastic changes if something don't sit well with you guys

You point about the slingers: Slingers have very high base damage as it is rocks they're slinging lol but the trick is to face them with armoured troops while they fire. You see, slingers have a pretty direct trajectory and very very low armour penetration. They can obliterate anything armour-less but can't do anything against those who have good shields. I'm going to keep testing out the slingers to see what's what.

Anything feedback you have is greatly appreciated as you helped give me the drive to sort this missile system out. Your thoughts are welcome, brother.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013) + Missile Capacity Upgraded Version!

Missile Version added. It increases the amount of Javelin and slinger ammo. For those of you who want a more chaotic missile experience.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013) + Missile Capacity Upgraded Version!

DogSoldierSPQR Actually I think there is a problem with slinger becouse they still do to much damage to heavy armoured infantry with shield.
    I have done this simple test:
    Rome VS Rome
    using one of the best armoured troops of the game.
    I keep the unit in position without using testudo or shieldwall
    Custom battle:
    1 Test) 1 cohort (200 men with your bigger size unit mod) VS 1 roman archers unit
    after shot all arrows they loose 2 men. And for me ok becouse roman coorts have the best armour protection and shield like hoplites
    2 Test) 1 cohort (200 men) VS 1 velites unit
    after shot all javelins cohort lose 9 men. Maybe a little too many losses for my taste, considering they have the best almost the best protection, but not so exaggerated after all. I prefer if they lose max 5 men but not a big problem.
    3 Test) same cohort (200 men) VS 1 roman slingers unit
    after shot all rocks cohort lose 50 men!!

You say "They can obliterate anything armour-less but can't do anything against those who have good shields"
    so I think there is something wrong.

I think the actual damage of arrows and light javelins is ok.
    Slingers seems just ignore armours and shields

Hope you can fix this.
    Thank you
    Last edited by FabioCorr; October 01, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

DogSoldierSPQR Actually I think there is a problem with slinger becouse they still do to much damage to heavy armoured infantry with shield.
    I have done this simple test:
    Rome VS Rome
    using one of the best armoured troops of the game.
    I keep the unit in position without using testudo or shieldwall
    Custom battle:
    1 Test) 1 cohort (200 men with your bigger size unit mod) VS 1 roman archers unit
    after shot all arrows they loose 2 men. And for me ok becouse roman coorts have the best armour protection and shield like hoplites
    2 Test) 1 cohort (200 men) VS 1 velites unit
    after shot all javelins cohort lose 9 men. Maybe a little too many losses for my taste, considering they have the best almost the best protection, but not so exaggerated after all. I prefer if they lose max 5 men but not a big problem.
    3 Test) same cohort (200 men) VS 1 roman slingers unit
    after shot all rocks cohort lose 50 men!!

You say "They can obliterate anything armour-less but can't do anything against those who have good shields"
    so I think there is something wrong.

I think the actual damage of arrows and light javelins is ok.
    Slingers seems just ignore armours and shields

Hope you can fix this.
    Thank you
    I believe I know what went wrong here. This should be a very simple fix indeed. Forgive me for this. However, this wouldn't happen if those units were in formation. I will fix this though, mate. I'm going to run a little test very shortly. I gave the slingers 1 AP point because I figured they would need just a little AP to take out lower-class levy barbarians. If I were to remove that AP point they should behave in the manner we want them too. Thanks for pointing this out.

I also believe I may be able to sort out the Romans losing that many casualties from Javelins without formation. Shouldn't be hard fix whatsoever. Keep the feedback coming, mate. How are you liking the formations effectiveness against missiles? Any bugs there you found?

MOD UPDATE:
    I forgot to tell you guys that I have implemented the Heroes of Sparta as swordsmen. They are the best sword infantry in the game and are there to give Sparta flavour as they have no swordsmen. They perform very well and should be a great addition in a spear-filled area that is Greece. Updating OP very shortly.

My pleasure to help you improve this great mod.
    The arrows damage is perfect, against heavy infantry high armoured value units only few losses, against unarmoured much more. So it's great.

I think light javelins damage is almost perfect, they should be nerfed but just a little bit IMO. It's ok if javelins are more powerfull then arrows.
    I just think if a super armoured infantry like roman cohort, armoured hoplites etc lose 5-6 men insted of 10 against a light javelin unit like velites after they throwing and finish all the javelins is better considering they are the more armoured units of the game and against light armoured infantry javelins are extremely letal. (I'm using the mod with less ammo)
    So my advice is to nerf javelins but just a little bit so they still remain more powerfull and armour piercing then arrows in the same time heavy infantry units can survive a little more.

For the formations effectiveness you made a great work, testudo and shieldswall formations are pointless in vanilla so now I can really use testudo or shieldswall to avoid any casualties in situation like being shot by many ranged units or during siege.
    So I think this is great you don't lose any men in these defensive formations or there isn't any reason to use them.

Barbarian don't use testudo so is ok shieldswall protect perfectly from missles like a testudo otherwise the Romans would become too advantaged.

So I think testudo and shieldswall are now just perfect, in vanilla you lose more men in testudo and shieldswall, it's almost hilarious.
    Last edited by FabioCorr; October 01, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

I've tried for hours on end to balance this out but it's not working right. I can't seem to balance it. The thing is, these units are not meant be able to defend against missiles when they are out of formation. There is no stat for it. So that's why we see different results every time a lot of the time. Soldiers are meant to have a formation to become immune to missiles that's why there are fields in the formation table but no fields in the shield section.

There's nothing further I can do with this. I've tried for 4 hours and because there is no specific field for out of formation missile defence, things are pretty much random when it comes to the casualties. In rome 2, soldiers have to rely on the formations for missile defence.

No problem man for the arrows and javelins the damage system its quite perfect heavy infantry even without testudo and shieldswall can resist and loose few men, only slingers are overpowered without using defensive formations.
    I use the less ammo version so this is not a big problem after all.

This 1.4 version is surely the best.
    I really like the fact now there is a real difference between heavy and light units VS range units. In vanilla armoured or unarmoured die both quickly. Plus the defensive formation works now. In vanilla not at all.
    These are great improvements.

Thank you very much for your work, WELL DONE!
    Last edited by FabioCorr; October 01, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

After your last mod's update, I see that the hoplite units no longer can hoplite but instead they can form shieldwall

No problem man for the arrows and javelins the damage system its quite perfect heavy infantry even without testudo and shieldswall can resist and loose few men, only slingers are overpowered without using defensive formations.
    I use the less ammo version so this is not a big problem after all.

This 1.4 version is surely the best.
    I really like the fact now there is a real difference between heavy and light units VS range units. In vanilla armoured or unarmoured die both quickly. Plus the defensive formation works now. In vanilla not at all.
    These are great improvements.

Thank you very much for your work, WELL DONE!
    Thank you for understanding, pal. In Rome 1, all you had to do was have your soldiers idle and they can absorb a lot of missiles provided they were heavy and well armoured and you probably would not lose anyone in the process. However, in Rome 2, we have to adopt a formation to absorb missiles. I will keep playing with it but it's pointless to expect anything more from this. Thanks for being supportive and your feedback was great, mate.
    Yeah, the less ammo version is pretty well suited for this kind of missile system. Glad you enjoy it.

What to expect: I've found a field that distinguishes skill between Elite, well trained, trained, rabble and mob and I've tweaked it accordingly. It'll allow for us to get more of a distinction between unit classes. Loads of potential for this mod!

Quote Originally Posted by gsguns View Post
    After your last mod's update, I see that the hoplite units no longer can hoplite but instead they can form shieldwall
    Shield wall and Hoplite formation are exactly the same in every single way except for the name. If you were to give the Wodanaz Spears the shield wall formation, they would look like Germanic hoplites. There is no difference with them. I could give a swordsmen unit the Hoplite Phalanx and it would look the exact same as the Shield Wall. The only reason I gave hoplites the shield wall is because the Shield Wall seems to work better and because only having one formation allows for me to only tweak one formation instead of having to tweak two. More of a convenience thing. You ain't missing anything, mate.
    Last edited by DogSoldierSPQR; October 02, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013) + Missile Capacity Upgraded Version! External Links Added!

MOD UPDATE: External Links added for those who have troubles downloading from TWC.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.4 RELEASED!! MISSLES FIXED!! (01/10/2013) + Missile Capacity Upgraded Version! External Links Added!

alright then, let's get it started

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast