Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Patch 7 Compatible! Automatically Updated Through Steam! ( 15/11/13)

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod (Unit stats and combat length completely revamped!)

The fighting to the death aspect is not conflicting with anyone else. I wanted to get units to fight very hard and make routing more of an achievement rather than something you expect to be able to pull off. I have noticed that it is pretty hard to get them to route as the average morale level is pretty higher than vanilla. I'll have to look into this. I'll have to change this down the line as I am working on unit re-skins at this point in time.

All of this feedback is valuable, guys. Thanks.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod (Unit stats and combat length completely revamped!)

Man I love you! This is exactly what i'm looking for!
    I was really disappointed too see in this rome2 they make shields useless, is totally nonsense.
    I can't see heavy infantry with giant shields destroyed by archers, light javelins or slingers, seems like they shoot high perforation bullets with a minigun.
    Now the game is much more historical accurate and realistic.
    Storically they could take in defence formation a lot of arrows, javelins and rocks without casualties so now is perfect and accurate for me.

Thank you again you save the game for me
    I coudn't play the game anymore with the standard rpg arcade style with no simulation at all.
    Ranged units were more used like you said to impact the moral of the troops they didn't make milion of deaths.
    This mod is really for who wants simulation.

I must test well playing a campaing and see the other changes you made.

I can't download the first file but I have downloaded the slow movement version. Maybe a twcentre connection problem?.

If I make some grammatical error sorry I'm not english.
    Good work! Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by FabioCorr View Post
    Man I love you! This is exactly what i'm looking for!
    I was really disappointed too see in this rome2 they make shields useless, is totally nonsense.
    I can't see heavy infantry with giant shields destroyed by archers, light javelins or slingers, seems like they shoot high perforation bullets with a minigun.
    Now the game is much more historical accurate and realistic.
    Storically they could take in defence formation a lot of arrows, javelins and rocks without casualties so now is perfect and accurate for me.

Thank you again you save the game for me
    I coudn't play the game anymore with the standard rpg arcade style with no simulation at all.
    Ranged units were more used like you said to impact the moral of the troops they didn't make milion of deaths.
    This mod is really for who wants simulation.

I must test well playing a campaing and see the other changes you made.

I can't download the first file but I have downloaded the slow movement version. Maybe a twcentre connection problem?.

If I make some grammatical error sorry I'm not english.
    Good work! Bye!
    Glad you liked my mod!
    Yeah, shields were basically pointless before. Missile units would just kill so many. In my mod, the missiles are pointless for any other reasons other than moral-hurting.
    There are no campaign-based features to this mod but this combat system will definitely determine faction strengths and likliness of winning battles etc.

Don't worry about it, mate. TWC is going through a bit of a patch as of late. The file works, it's just sometimes you can only download certain files and others you can't. Try downloading it later etc.

Thank you.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Could you please make a 50% archer nerf version?I really trying to enjoy the weaker archers but for at least for me,its just overkill.Especially in naval battles,where you nerfed the missile units so much that you made ramming the only viable option,and in custom battles,where 800 archers wasted all their ammo on a hastati unit and didnt killed even 3 of them.
    But in vanilla, the missiles units are overpowered,so I humbly request a half nerf so at least me and some people can have fun using archers with this mod

This is the best battle mod I've tried, and I've tried them all. Great work DogSoldier and I hope to see more of your mods. Thanks!

Yes finally I download the first file. I don't know yet if I prefer slow movement or standard speed, I'll try both.
    The real problem in this game for me, and this is not your fault of course, there is no difference if you shoot enemy on the back or on the shield or during combat like rome total war 1 or medieval 2 total war, now they have health like an rpg game, seems there is no difference if you shoot light infantry without shield or heavy infantry. In vanilla they die all quickly against missiles no matter what equipement they have and if they take fire on the rear or if they are ready to block the missiles. I don't understand why they remove all this good aspects of the game.
    This is of course not a modder fault. This game need a patch.

I test your mod in teutoburg battle and it's amazing. I don't need to run all the time and i can make strategy
    I test in some battles it's just perfect a cohort has only lost 2 or 3 men after many arrows and javelins, much more realistic.
    I also like the new morale system, longer battles and ammo reduction, in vanilla there are really too much javelins for a man.
    Keep going with your good work man.
    Last edited by FabioCorr; September 19, 2013 at 07:44 AM.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

DogSoldierSPQR....I'm hoping I have found the battle mod I need, I've read your OP and like what I hear.

Tell me, will your battle mod allow me to fight long grueling battles that make me choose between losing my army for a victory, or retreating to fight another day? That is instead of wavering within 60 seconds, and routing in another 60seconds? I need a mod that has very high morale values that force me to choose between life and death for my legions. I also need a mod that does not rely on ranged troops to win every battle, I need their influence minimalised.

If so, what is the hardest setting file out of the list for hardcore?

EDIT: I have tested several barabrian battles between gauls and germans on the slow movement mod manager file. You have nailed the speed of double time spot on, but the slow movement for walking is almost in slow motion...actually it is. Also all units are breaking once approximately 40 - 50% of their unit has died. While, the battle is slower and harder, the battle is over once this point is reached when the units retire.

I like the unit spacing this is good, but I still think the ranged units could be toned down a little more. For instance an archer unit vs a slinger unit inflicted 60 out of 120 deaths within 3 minutes of battle time. Keep up the good work, I'm very hopeful about this.

EDIT EDIT: These were tested in Custom Battle Mode. After playing for a while in campaign mode the gameplay is different, and the units take much more to route and beat. The morale is much higher.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

I have been playing and found that now my venetian gauls are unkillable when defending a fort. Are kill rates supposed to be different in open battles as opposed to sieges?
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; September 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

This mod is just what I was looking for, I have always been a meta-combat geek so this is pure candy for me

Any updates on future plans?

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.2 RELEASED!!

Version 1.2 is now released, guys!
    Sorry if I haven't been replying. I've been pretty busy with it. I hope you enjoy it. The changelog is in the OP.

Here is the link to my campaign mod which also includes this newest version in it - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...8#post13281568

I hope you guys enjoy!

@Border Reiver: Have a go with this newer version. I've meshed many of those other versions into one. Hopefully you like it. Morale is more of a factor this time around. Units do route now and from what I can see, at acceptable times as well. Like, when their units are almost completely done for.
    Have a go with this version and let me know how many of your problems have been sorted, mate, and if you can, drop some tips for improvements please.
    Last edited by DogSoldierSPQR; September 28, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.2 RELEASED!!

Hmmmm... Giving units, other than Romans, Testudo is a bit of a too much history breaking for me, could you make that feature optional?

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Canīt download. Always get a black screen. Seems to affect all TWC hosted mods. What is it with this site...? Anybody else experiencing this? Would you mind making a mirror for this? (Megaupload or something)
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer View Post
    Hmmmm... Giving units, other than Romans, Testudo is a bit of a too much history breaking for me, could you make that feature optional?
    You're going to need it in this mod. Until the AI sorts itself out and stops spamming missiles this wouldn't be necessary but it is for now. I'll see if I can get an optional one up soon but I don't know when. I've got something in the works right now. With a newer version, I wouldn't making it optional then.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.3 RELEASED!! (30/9/2013)

Version 1.3 has been released, guys. Make sure you get it.
    Missiles have struck a nice balance.

Quote Originally Posted by KR153 View Post
    Canīt download. Always get a black screen. Seems to affect all TWC hosted mods. What is it with this site...? Anybody else experiencing this? Would you mind making a mirror for this? (Megaupload or something)
    I will try to get around to doing that sometime, mate.

Default Re: DogSoldier's Combatus Maximus Mod - Combat Overhaul! VERSION 1.3 RELEASED!! (30/9/2013)

Updated with Version 1.3.

With this mod, if I orders my units that are in formation to attack another will they keep in formation or will break it like in vanilla?

They will break like Vanilla. Only CA have control over something like that. They're going to look into the formations when the optimisation patches are over and done with.

I love both of your mods. There are only two things that turn me off.

The super fast research and the fact that slingers have no effect. I had four units of slingers attacking one unit of slingers and it took FOUR volleys to kill ONE unit. I might as well not recruit slingers at all.

The ammo and accuracy reduction of missiles is simply genius and now you have increase the missiles damage(I hope not like vanilla missiles damage) it's a good compromise. And good thing reduce a little the morale, in the previous version even plebeians never retreat.
    I like the other changes you made.
    One think I don't like so much is to rely ever on testudo formation. Testudo formation was used in situations like siege when arrows come from the top and flanks for a front attack scutum was perfectly able to parry and cover entirely a man behind not visible parts, testudo formation wasn't ever necessary.
    Anyway great work, vanilla is unplayabled for me so this mod (or others good mods that nerf missiles and improve gameplay and AI) is necessary IMO.
    I'm glad to see you also made a campaign AI mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Squallion View Post
    I love both of your mods. There are only two things that turn me off.

The super fast research and the fact that slingers have no effect. I had four units of slingers attacking one unit of slingers and it took FOUR volleys to kill ONE unit. I might as well not recruit slingers at all.
    Thank you for using my mods, mate. I appreciate it.

That research concern is totally relevant. Here is what I have planned but may be a little while before I do it: I'm looking to implement multiple turns per year at some point and when I do, I will definitely double the research time from vanilla etc. I will obviously make multiple variants to those who want it and even at multiple speeds but yeah
    I can understand your concerns about the slingers too. There is no way to really balance them in my eyes. They don't have the armour penetration that javelins and arrows do but even when I increase their base damage, soldiers are still immune to them. However, if I increase their AP a little, they kill too many. I am looking into it but I'll only ever release a working slinger system, never a broken one. I am working on it though, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by FabioCorr View Post
    The ammo and accuracy reduction of missiles is simply genius and now you have increase the missiles damage(I hope not like vanilla missiles damage) it's a good compromise. And good thing reduce a little the morale, in the previous version even plebeians never retreat.
    I like the other changes you made.
    One think I don't like so much is to rely ever on testudo formation. Testudo formation was used in situations like siege when arrows come from the top and flanks for a front attack scutum was perfectly able to parry and cover entirely a man behind not visible parts, testudo formation wasn't ever necessary.
    Anyway great work, vanilla is unplayabled for me so this mod (or others good mods that nerf missiles and improve gameplay and AI) is necessary IMO.
    I'm glad to see you also made a campaign AI mod.
    As much as I would like straight up man to man fighting, I still have to cater to missile-lovers haha
    I felt that I needed to make missiles worth it but at the same time, make them useless if someone else has the ability to protect themselves from them. Missiles are deadly, even with their small ammo capacity, if you use them in a large blob. When units can't defend themselves, they drop like mad. However, if you try walking up to the enemy in Testudo or Shield Wall, I doubt you will even lose anyone in the process. Tactics are much needed here

Morale is definitely a considerable factor now. I've even done in a way that units will fight like mad and you will get the most out of them but they only route when they have taken serious casualties. Well, if you think about it, I have made formations more useful now. They were pretty much pointless in Vanilla haha. I've given them a purpose

I really hope you both get long-term enjoyment from my mods and future versions too. Thanks for your valuable feedbacks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast