Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Updated 12/12/2014 LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

Lavrentivs's Avatar Miles

Default Re: (Updated 19/09/2013 - New Marian Legionaries) LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

Okay guys, just a quick update on what's going on at the moment:

- I'm about to submit my re-skinned Marian units (Legionaries; Veterans; First_Cohort) WITHOUT RE-COLOUR, as individual units, they will be up shortly.

- Due to my in-inexperience as a modder I'm unsure as to what I can do about my veterans' compatibility issue with Radious' Battle Mod. I was able to change around the weapons on VariantsMeshes, but they are always getting over-ridden by Radious' Augustan-equipped veterans. The only way that I could get my skins in the game would be to actually release an edited version of Radious' mod, which, as far as I am aware, breaks the rules.

Does anyone with more experience than myself know what I can do about this?

Last edited by Lavrentivs; September 20, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Default Re: (Updated 19/09/2013 - New Marian Legionaries) LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

UPDATE 20/09/13

Marian units submitted as individual .pack files, without individual colour schemes. They will be subject to your Rome faction colour scheme (faction recolour mods recommended, my units in vanilla colours look hideous, some with bright yellow tunics).

dom385's Avatar Senator

I would like to use your colours but it's a choice between having a nice looking roman faction or nice looking everyone else. Although I did get another roman recolour mod to work which is basically the same as yours.

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Excellent work, the historic background material is especially impressive.

Thanks, there are more things I would put into units, but I am unable to create my own pieces of armour or do textures for now

Apologies for the lack of information Historical Context sections, they will all be filled in during the course of this weekend and into next week.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey Lavrentivs, I can't seem to find the extraordinarii download link? Or is this still being worked on?

INFORMATION UPDATE:

- A lot of the historical context sections for my re-skins have not been filled in, I look to rectify this soon.

- Currently I have been looking back at my Italian socii units and I personally find them to be sub-standard and poorly researched.

Socii Hastati:

- The high proportion of lamellar armour within the hastati will be rectified, i.e. the lamellar will be taken away. Initially, I included it for the sake of variation, but it appears that this armour was usually worn by higher castes of warriors within Etruscan society, who would not have been in a hastati unit, but allied Principes or Triarii/Hoplite units. (see Historical Context section on Italian socii).

- I will be taking away Italo-Etruscan helmets and will replace them with plain montefortino helms.

- Basic linothorax armour will be replaced by quilted gambesons, which were cheap to produce and worn widely throughout the ancient world

- You will see more pectorals within the unit. I will include some of the basic pectorals (not the ones with Iberian patterns) from the Iberian units if I can, so that there is more variety.

Socii Extraordinarii:

- Will do a historical review and make corrections where necessary

- I will research more as to the possibility of Illyrian type helmets in the 3rd Century, and if I find the evidence lacking (though there is some there through coinage), I will make corrections.

-General Corrections will be made where necessary.

I will also make a Southern Italian version of the extraordinarii for those who prefer their more traditional Samnite image.

From what Polybios (6.30 -
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...extraordinarii) says, it seems to me that the extraordinarii would have been a whole mix of different Italian allies.

Within the socii you would get a lot of armour variation, and a lot of the armour worn would be regional (e.g. an Etruscan soldier could be in a linothorax/negau helmet, and a Samnite would have his feathered italian attic, pectoral, and unique shield). It wouldn't be possible to do this within a single unit and all the armour types would be mixed up with one another on different soldiers. Now, this is not to say that the allies each had a strict code of uniform - it would be ridiculous to claim that - but I think you would generally have been able to tell them apart.

Livy (34.47) seems to suggest that this allied and allied extraordinarii units were themselves split up into cohorts just as the Roman legion was(
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...3Achapter%3D47).

It would only make sense to split these units into cohorts/maniples by region. Therefore, my theory is that the extraordinarii cohorts were also separated by region, since recruits from each allied tribes/city-states were allocated if deemed suitable for service.

So essentially, you would have the extraordinarii as one collective unit, but it split into cohorts consisting of the selected men from each regional group/city-state.

e.g. an Etruscan cohort, a Lucanian cohort, Samnite etc. etc.

As far as I know, the extraordinarii were organised into their own cohorts
    Last edited by Lavrentivs; September 20, 2013 at 09:53 AM.

The Border Reiver
    :
    Hey Lavrentivs, I can't seem to find the extraordinarii download link? Or is this still being worked on?
    Hi, they are all part of the Italian Socii pack in the links list. Within the unit pack you will find 2 versions socii v1 (including socii hastati v1 and extraordinarii v1) and socii v2 (including socii hastati v2 and extraordinarii v2).

I will get down to releasing them as individual units, since some may want to use socii hastati v1 with extraordinarii v2 and visa versa - this will be done TODAY, as in I am going to do it right now

However, I will be making another version of both, as I am not satisfied with the way they look. Feel free to have a go with the older units though

EDIT:

Done.
    Last edited by Lavrentivs; September 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Hi, I think you haven't put any image of your "Marian Veterans" ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrentivs View Post

From what Polybios (6.30 -
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...extraordinarii) says, it seems to me that the extraordinarii would have been a whole mix of different Italian allies.

Within the socii you would get a lot of armour variation, and a lot of the armour worn would be regional (e.g. an Etruscan soldier could be in a linothorax/negau helmet, and a Samnite would have his feathered italian attic, pectoral, and unique shield). It wouldn't be possible to do this within a single unit and all the armour types would be mixed up with one another on different soldiers. Now, this is not to say that the allies each had a strict code of uniform - it would be ridiculous to claim that - but I think you would generally have been able to tell them apart.

I think what you're talking about here may actually be possible. If you look very closely at the definitions the hierarchy goes like this
    <VARIANT_MESH> - Parent File
    <SLOT name="base">
    <VARIANT_MESH/> - This would contain all of the detail currently available
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

What i've been wondering lately, is whether it would be possible to put multiple Variant's childed to the name="base" slot, so it has a set of explicit references to choose from, i'll test it and tell you how it goes

update, my hunch was right

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Looking good Aodh Mor, well done good find.

Laurentis, I found the pack thanks for that. The units look great in game thankyou. I was having trouble matching your skin pictures with mine in game and realised that if I place your files higher than the Gaul skin and shield pack in mod Manager, then everything looks perfect. thanks for your help!

Cell7's Avatar Libertus

Hey, thanks for the HBO Reskins! They look great! You should consider just doing a mod that features all the uniforms used in HBO's Rome - like a massive HBO re-skin or something

Default Re: (Updated 20/09/2013 - New Marian Legionaries) LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

Congratulations laurentius great mod, really a reskin refined and historically accurate!

PS:a question, but because the thread is no longer visible?

Default Re: (Updated 20/09/2013 - New Marian Legionaries) LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

first thing to open is this thread cant wait for the new things LAV!! keep up the good works!!!

dom385's Avatar Senator

Ok, I just have one last question. I'm using the natural dyes mod, with the colours for rome from the roman reskin mod (and the rest of the files but they just add some cloaks and armour to post marian units). However the first cohort all have white shields, everyone else is how they should be, with dirty white colour tunics and reddy brown shields. Can you think of anything that could be causing this? Could it be the decals for the first cohort in your mod?

Really nice but is it abble to make legionary formation which is shown in Rome by HBO I mean battle against gallic tribes in Alesia where is shown replacing of the soldiers in the first line. Here it is- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSa9ZvSMaQ. And centurion´s chrests- its nice but... you know spartan style in a Roman army...

Your units are one of the best I've ever seen. It is very different and more detailed than Vanilla.
    Do U use 3ds max or other 3d program?
    Congrats

Well your mod is incredible Lavrentis, I do not know how to change the Veterans and evocatii back to sword units any other way then editing/changing Radious Battle mod, which i did and works perfetly, veterans and evocatii are again sword wielding units for me with my corrected stats ofc.
    Last edited by Jean-Roch Coignet; September 21, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Well done Laurentius, the best looking and historical remake of Roman unit roster.
    Now i know that playing Rome with Lav's mod is a no way back to vanilla!!!
    Again great job mate!!!
    Last edited by neoptolemos; September 21, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões