Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated 12/12/2014 LAVRENTIVS ROMAN UNIT RE-SKINS

Lavrentivs's Avatar Miles

Default Re: (Updated 15/09/2013) Lavrentivs Re-Skins, Make-Shift Transverse Crest Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Roman Officers, Marian Legionaries

Alas, I must go back on my words previous, and tell you that I am unable to release the Officers Re-Done v2 today. I can't access my desktop at the moment, and I would like to add more variety among the command units.

Here are a few images of what I've been doing. This does not necessarily represent what the final centurions will look like. The Marian centurio is wearing normal chainmail only because I thought that his previous armour type (a linothorax) was interfering with the model codes, thus not allowing him to have a crest (the crest kept attaching itself to his mid-section

Unfortunately, the Spartan crests are the only transverse crest I can get my hands on. See what you think. I know they look rather large (and the crest attachments aren't necessarily authentic), but its all that can be done for now.

Personally, I don't think the hellenic crests look too bad on republican helmet types.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My favourite centurion I have seen so far has got to be this guy:

In the pack files, there is the "roman_coolus2", which is actually an Imperial Gallic G. I tried it out on the units, and it looks great, its a fantastic helmet model. HOWEVER, with some of the units, the head was poking out of the back of the helmet, really breaking the immersion.

I will see what I can do with this helmet. Some body types seemed to fit the helmet fine, whereas others didn't. I could find out which body types fit the helmet and try and make a unit out of them, incorporating the Gallic G's.

We shall see.

Keep me posted on anything you wish to see/things you don't like/suggestions/requests.

Default Re: (Updated 15/09/2013) Lavrentivs Re-Skins, Make-Shift Transverse Crest Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Roman Officers, Marian Legionaries

they actually look pretty good, despite being greek crests. especially the second to last one, with the black crest since its not so big and extravagant lol. im curious to see what a red crest would look like though

+rep

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Lavrentivs, in under 300 posts you've become an integral modder, giving the people what they need. I just had to reinstal Rome 2, due to screwing it up and trying what you're doing. We all thank you.
    It's torture, thouigh; I want to d/l now, but I also want to wait for the officer skins
    Good, reasonable arguments for the late armour types.

Can't find the Reskinned Officers Link in post 1

QUICK INFO UPDATE (16/09/2013)

What to expect in the near future:

- Re-Skin: Imperial GERMANIC (regional style) Auxilia Infantry

- Re-Skin: Augustan IBERIAN (regional style) Auxilia Infantry
    - Update: Marian Legionaries v2

- Re-skin: Marian First Cohort

- Re-skin: Marian Veterans

- Re-skin: Polybian Triarii

- Re-skin: Polybian Principes

- Re-skin: Polybian Triarii

IGdood: Can't find the Reskinned Officers Link in post 1
    Apologies, the old version has been removed to make way for the new one, which will be coming today.

Captain Arrrgh!: Lavrentivs, in under 300 posts you've become an integral modder, giving the people what they need. I just had to reinstal Rome 2, due to screwing it up and trying what you're doing. We all thank you.
    It's torture, thouigh; I want to d/l now, but I also want to wait for the officer skins
    Good, reasonable arguments for the late armour types.
    Wow, I'm taken aback, I don't know what to say, really. Thank you so much mate, it means a lot to have my units appreciated as a lot of passion goes into it. The units aren't perfect, I would like to learn how to get something different colours in there, but they are a start. They can only get better from here in, I guess (however I must say, I now prefer my v1 of the Extraordinarii to v2, but its all personal taste I guess).

Anyway, in the mean time, thank you all for your kind words, encouragement, patience and suggestions, and have a good one! Keep the suggestions coming in!
    Last edited by Lavrentivs; September 16, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Question about the Socii: isn't all that mail armour too much for them ? Apart from the fact that i doubt it to be so common in Italian armies but shouldn't it be still expensive ? I mean, a couple of mails won't hurt but all these make it look like elite units...

Stat rosa pristina nomine nomina nuda tenemus

Quote Originally Posted by caprera View Post
    Question about the Socii: isn't all that mail armour too much for them ? Apart from the fact that i doubt it to be so common in Italian armies but shouldn't it be still expensive ? I mean, a couple of mails won't hurt but all these make it look like elite units...
    I agree. Compared to vanilla Hastati the look a little too armored.

I'd also like to see Socii Calvary redone to match the epicness of there infantry counterparts.

Really amazing units! Really takes away that Hollywood feel, and gives a more exotic, ancient, interpretation! I would love to see the principes redone, and maybe some southern Italian, Hellenic influenced socii troops! I feel the principes didn't really look that cool, maybe with more italo-corinthian, boetian, phyrigian helments etc. ? Anyway great work! I will definately download your mod when I decide to play a roman campaign!
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

Default Re: (Updated 16/09/2013) Lavrentivs Re-Skins, Make-Shift Transverse Crest Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Roman Officers, Marian Legionaries

Update 16/09/2013

- Officers Re-Skin Added

- Officer Previews Added (Refer to First Page)

Please let me know of any issues asap, so I can sort them out immediately!

Apologies to everyone for the long wait, I had a real hard time finding helmets which would actually fit with the crests, so it took a LOT longer that I anticipated.

I will be doing my tweaks to auxilia now, but don't be surprised if they are not released by tonight. Hopefully all will go well.

ENJOY.
    Last edited by Lavrentivs; September 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: (Updated 16/09/2013) Lavrentivs Re-Skins, Make-Shift Transverse Crest Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Roman Officers, Marian Legionaries

Caprera: Question about the Socii: isn't all that mail armour too much for them ? Apart from the fact that i doubt it to be so common in Italian armies but shouldn't it be still expensive ? I mean, a couple of mails won't hurt but all these make it look like elite units...

TheFunnyOne1125: I agree. Compared to vanilla Hastati the look a little too armored. I'd also like to see Socii Calvary redone to match the epicness of there infantry counterparts.

Yes, you are indeed both correct. With the hastati, I rectified the disproportionate amount of armour in version 2, as there are soldiers within the unit that wear just long-sleeved tunics or pectorals. However, I did retain some of the linothorax and lamellar body-armour. This is because they are typical pieces of equipment displayed on soldiers in Etruscan art:

Example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ers_541074.jpg

It more likely that such figures portray soldiers of the higher castes, such as those of the principes, but I included the armour within the hastati to make them look more visually interesting, and it also differentiated them from the more common S/Italian portrayal of socii.

Concerning the socii extraordinarii, I do not see how mail would be a problem. My portrayal is of a N/Italian contingent, which would have consisted of Etruscans and perhaps some Picentes. Both these peoples were in regular contact with cisalpine tribes, and to mail would not have been uncommon for them, particularly for the higher castes of warriors which were historically incorporated into the extraordinarii.

Once I learn how to create units, there will be much more room for variation and accurate portrayal, as ideally I would like to create N/Italian socii principes.

I will soon rectify a organisation mistake with the current release of the socii, and divide the skinpack into 4 seperate packs:

socii_hastati_v1
    socii_hastati_v2
    socii_extra_v1
    socii_extra_v2

Currently, it is only divided into two packs, so one cannot as of yet have v2 hastati with v1 extraordinarii.

I could actually take a step further, and make the socii hastati more lightly armoured etc., and release cavalry with it too??

Thank you for the constructive criticism, it has been taken aboard

Fabricus: Really amazing units! Really takes away that Hollywood feel, and gives a more exotic, ancient, interpretation! I would love to see the principes redone, and maybe some southern Italian, Hellenic influenced socii troops! I feel the principes didn't really look that cool, maybe with more italo-corinthian, boetian, phyrigian helments etc. ? Anyway great work! I will definately download your mod when I decide to play a roman campaign!

Thank you kindly for your compliments, its exactly the look I was going for. My work is mainly inspired by artistic representations from the work of G. Rava and R. D'Amato, who have the best vision of the Roman army in my opinion.

I am working on a principes unit at this very moment, and they contain all of those helmets other than the boetian (I could add them too). They also have a variety of linothorax, mail and padded armour. I will see if I can post you some previews!

I think the variation that existed among Roman troops has been lost somewhat, and so I would like to see if I could promote this lost concept through my re-skins.

Heard that you gave Aodh Mor permission to use your units.

Excited about his release.

Well, keep up the good work.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: (Updated 16/09/2013) LAVRENTIVS UNIT RE-SKINS: Roman Officers Re-Skin, Make-Shift Transverse Crests for Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Marian Legionaries etc.

Great job Lavrentivs! I really like these and am looking forward to seeing more. The link for the LAV_Arm_Legs_Adam.7z seems to be broken, as I've tried both chrome and firfox and it's not working on either just now.

GeneralL's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: (Updated 16/09/2013) LAVRENTIVS UNIT RE-SKINS: Roman Officers Re-Skin, Make-Shift Transverse Crests for Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Marian Legionaries etc.

love the realistic adamklissis ! big rep +
    Invictus I Victoria

Thanks for the feedback guys

@The Border River - I have put up the Adamklissi legionaries as an attachment now, should work for you.

Today I should have finished my Batavian/German style auxiliary infantry. The reason they have taken so long to do is because I have them barbarian bodies, and so have had to go through armours/tunics to find what does/doesn't fit them. I need to find a scale type armour that fits them (the current type doesn't fit), and neither does the celtic leather armour. All will be sorted soon however.

A note on the use of segmentata. The unit will come in 2 packs, one with and one without. Parts of segmentata have been found at nijmegen, so it is highly plausible to say that this armour type was not just restricted to legionaries. Evidence suggests its use among Batavian units.

Hi!

I appreciate your work, really....
    But why should an army have that many differnt armors??? I think even CA overdid it by using different armors within one unit. I would definetely agree if different units would wear different armors, but just not in one unit.
    Maybe this would work for slaves, but definitely not for a roman professional army...

The modern interpretation of uniformed ancient armies is in-corrent. It was only in the 17th Century the concept of a definitive military uniform was developed.

Though Roman sculpture such as the column of Marcus Aurelius and Trajan's column differentiate units like auxilia and legionaries with uniformed armour, this was not the case in reality. These sculptures included uniformed soldiers so that the average civilian could distinguish what unit types were fighting e.g. *civilian looks at Trajan's column* "Oh look, Trajan fought the Dacians using only auxiliary troops (distinguished by wearing chainmail and braccae uniformly), what a skilled general he is!"

When we look at sculptures created by soldiers/civilians in regular contact with the font-line legions, we see a massive difference, for example the Adamklissi Metopes. There is a large ammount of variation in military equipment, the same can be said for legionary tomb-stones.

The Roman army was not a uniformed army, neither in the republican period or the principate. This is one of the main motivations behind my work, to portray the Roman army accurately, like this:

(The work of the ever wonderful late Peter Connolly)

and not like this:

I completely agree with Lavrentivs but he was faster than me. I was almost going to answer the same thing. Unfortunately my English does not allow me to explain things complicated thus I shall not get into detail. Shortly: No factory no standardization Hollywood gives an American vision of the history which not unfortunately nothing to do with the reality of the history

UPDATE 17/09/2013

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to be an utter hypocrite now and announce that I have released a Marian Legionary re-skin based on HBO Rome! Credit goes to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar for the thought!

Though they are not intended to reflect historical Roman units, they still look pretty good nonetheless, I think:

Note: These HBO Romans are a REPLACEMENT for Marian legionaries. As of yet, I do not know how to create new units (I have, however, found a tutorial which I shall be going through this evening), nor do I know how to determine different colours for different units of the same faction. Therefore, the re-colour pack which comes with these legionaries will do the same for all of your ROMAN units, which may look rather strange to some.

In the HBO Romans folder there will be a pack titled "RomansOffWhite.pack", which re-colours the Romans in off-white/browns/greys. All other factions will retain (or have restored) their vanilla colours. If you are running a faction re-colour mod already, you will have to edit the Roman faction colour scheme in order to have the legionaries as they appear in the preview images.

I will be trying to find out how to make new units and colour them differently throughout the week. When I have learned how to do these things, I will re-submit the HBO Legionaries as an individual unit with their own (if possible) colour scheme.

Dislaimer: The SUEBI units that appear in these shots are not dressed in vanilla colours. They have NOT been coloured by myself. They are part of another faction re-colour mod by Mitch, which I am running on my own copy of Total War: Rome II for my own personal use (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Re-Colour-Mod).

Default Re: (Updated 17/09/2013) LAVRENTIVS UNIT RE-SKINS: HBO ROME Legionaries, Roman Officers Re-Skin, Make-Shift Transverse Crests for Centurions, N/Italian Socii, Imperial Auxilia, Marian Legionaries etc.

can i use your mod without a mod manager im new to this can someone help