Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [How to] fix Rome 2 stuck at splash screen/ Launcher wont load error

Aurielius's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: [How to] fix Rome 2 stuck at splash screen/ Launcher wont load error

I had more than a 100 hours already invested when the game went south on me, so the concept of quitting and restarting was not an option that appealed to me. The forums were my last and best hope for intelligent advice and you did not let me down. Once again..thanks. The Parthians will dine in Hades tonight.

Default Re: [How to] fix Rome 2 stuck at splash screen/ Launcher wont load error

Hi all,

Tried all the steps in this thread, still no game launch. It just does nothing, no black screen. It's as though it hasn't been clicked although in task manager it launches the process, after each step I removed the process tree to avoid interference. But no luck.

I tried a delete - reinstall in steam too, still doesnt launch. Used to work fine.

Is there a complete uninstaller so i can perform a 100% clean re-install from scratch? The steam uninstaller seems to leave a lot behind.

Hi, I'm happy to have stumbled upon your thread. Only it does not work for me as of now.

I never before experienced freezes on my loading screen before, but now it does freeze every time I try to start the game, no matter what (or no) mods are on, and despite the tips you give here. The peculiar thing is that it only started freezing at a time when my computer had no connection to the internet (I mostly play without connection, to avoid steam updates at times I don't want them). After some weeks of not connecting and enjoying the game with DeI mod and GEM enabled, I started steam "online" again to download Patch 12, and to update DeI after that. After that I continued playing my campaign once or twice (again offline), and when some hours later I restarted my computer and wanted to play again, the game wouldn't launch anymore. And now it just freezes every time I try to launch.

Maybe someone here has an explanation for this?
    Thanks anyway, glad (well, relieved) to see that I'm not alone here. Although I just can't imagine anyone else having the same problem

[/QUOTE]Thanks anyway, glad (well, relieved) to see that I'm not alone here. Although I just can't imagine anyone else having the same problem [/QUOTE]

I'm having the exact same problem as you my friend. I thought playing with steam offline was a great idea, up until my campaign was destroyed. It was one of the best camps I've played so far too.

Wyrd bi∂ ful aręd

Default Re: [How to] fix Rome 2 stuck at splash screen/wont load

Search %appdata% and roaming pops up. I guess hidden folders are just left unhidden on my pc. Deleting the folder helped before, but some of these steps do seem to make it try harder. It isn't getting far enough to rebuild anything but 3 folders so no place to paste saves. I guess re install is the only possibility. I just got DLC too.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Default Re: [How to] fix Rome 2 stuck at splash screen/wont load

Quote Originally Posted by Aurielius View Post
    I had more than a 100 hours already invested when the game went south on me, so the concept of quitting and restarting was not an option that appealed to me. The forums were my last and best hope for intelligent advice and you did not let me down. Once again..thanks. The Parthians will dine in Hades tonight.
    Thanks you, I'm glad you got it sorted out in the end

Quote Originally Posted by gt3911 View Post
    Hi all,

Tried all the steps in this thread, still no game launch. It just does nothing, no black screen. It's as though it hasn't been clicked although in task manager it launches the process, after each step I removed the process tree to avoid interference. But no luck.

I tried a delete - reinstall in steam too, still doesnt launch. Used to work fine.

Is there a complete uninstaller so i can perform a 100% clean re-install from scratch? The steam uninstaller seems to leave a lot behind.
    No there isn't the standard delete contents option is the only uninstall option. Make sure your drivers are updated (follow this http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post997688,

Quote Originally Posted by Faldor View Post
    Hi, I'm happy to have stumbled upon your thread. Only it does not work for me as of now.

I never before experienced freezes on my loading screen before, but now it does freeze every time I try to start the game, no matter what (or no) mods are on, and despite the tips you give here. The peculiar thing is that it only started freezing at a time when my computer had no connection to the internet (I mostly play without connection, to avoid steam updates at times I don't want them). After some weeks of not connecting and enjoying the game with DeI mod and GEM enabled, I started steam "online" again to download Patch 12, and to update DeI after that. After that I continued playing my campaign once or twice (again offline), and when some hours later I restarted my computer and wanted to play again, the game wouldn't launch anymore. And now it just freezes every time I try to launch.

Maybe someone here has an explanation for this?
    Thanks anyway, glad (well, relieved) to see that I'm not alone here. Although I just can't imagine anyone else having the same problem

I'm having the exact same problem as you my friend. I thought playing with steam offline was a great idea, up until my campaign was destroyed. It was one of the best camps I've played so far too.
    Both of you, ensure that your drivers are up to date, http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post997688

Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
    Search %appdata% and roaming pops up. I guess hidden folders are just left unhidden on my pc. Deleting the folder helped before, but some of these steps do seem to make it try harder. It isn't getting far enough to rebuild anything but 3 folders so no place to paste saves. I guess re install is the only possibility. I just got DLC too.
    I'm not sure what you are describing, are you having trouble with finding the folders? if you are finding the solutions hard then tell me what ones you want to try and I'll break it down for you. About the save folder its in this path, "C:\Users\"choose the computers administrator"\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\save_games"

I was trying to reply to someone having trouble find the folder.
    If you do it this way save the preferences.script.txt file and place it in scripts after first attempt creates a scripts folder. Worked for me. Found on another site. It helps if the Rome2 folder isn't coming back fully, like no save_games folder.

It was hanging on start-up screen and not recreating the folder but this made it really start and finish creating the folder and play the game too.

Drivers updates.

Still the same, clicking play makes the startup sound, but nothing at all occurs, no error, no black screen, just nothing. The only error occurs when you click play again i'm then prompted that Total war is already running. The processes load up in task manager but thats all. The is no entry on the applications tab, you have to dig it out of the processes tab to end it.

Thanks for your help, i was getting the splash stuck error but after usiong your first solution it fixed my game.

Ski's Avatar Laetus

You Sir, are amazing.
    I've spent 2-3 days uninstalling, deleting, and verifying, whatever I could think of, and nothing. Tried your first suggestion, and its game on!
    Thank you for your post!

This post was a great help!!! I had a crash when my PC tried to go on battery backup. After that I couldn't get past the splash screen. I was about to reinstall when I thought, "why don't I check out TWC and see if someone smarter than me has figured out what's going on." I'm definitely glad i did. Thanks man!

Easy to back up your saves before you delete the folder and get right back to your campaign as well.
    Last edited by Ninjaheman; July 22, 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Backup your saves!

I have tried everyything and nothing...
    What I have tried?
    - Reinstalling the game twice, one with mods, second one without them
    - Delleting Rome2 folder at "User<...Roaming"
    - Run vcredist (80, 90, 100) at Steam<Commons<TWRII directory
    - Reinstalling drivers
    - etc-

Gotta say whatever is causing this is annoying. It certainly seems that the App Data folder, at least for me is getting corrupted. Every now and then when I start the game up I get the end user agreement and the game freezes at the splash screen. If I delete the folders in the App Data folder and restart I have no problem. I'm thinking I may have to reinstall the game to prevent this problem from re-occurring all the time. Anyone have similar problems?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Did you agree to the user agreement ? Haven't experience that myself but remember someone posted it may related to corrupt registry or something. Try registry cleaner first.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I used this solution to fix the screen going black problem but the emperor edition patch cause the problem to occur again.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Go to your Rome 2 folder
    C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2
    (Start > run > appdata. Make sure you have set "show hidden files and folders" under folder options)

-Then into the scripts folder

-Inside that folder, there is a file called preferences.script.txt
    Open it.

-Once in the file click Ctrl-F, and in the text box paste in the line below:

gfx_enable_directx11 true; # gfx_enable_directx11 <bool>, Enable DirectX 11 rendering #

Change the text of "true" to "false"

gfx_enable_directx11 false; # gfx_enable_directx11 <bool>, Enable DirectX 11 rendering #

Save the file and close it, then proceed to start the game

After trying to look at the preference.script again I couldn't find the "gfx_enable_directx11 true". So I look around and found this
    gfx_device_type 1; # gfx_device_type <int>, Set device type, 0-D3D9, 1-D3D11, 2-GL3 #
    So I assumed D3D11 means directx11. With that I changed the value to 0 (I didn't know what GL3 is) and save the changes. Currently no problem so far.

tl;dr version
    I believe gfx_enable_directx11 has been replaced with gfx_device_type. Follow the steps below if your screen turns black. Not sure will work for cut scenes since I didn't encounter problems with the cut scenes.

-Go to %appdata%/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/Scripts/
    (Start > run > appdata. Make sure you have set "show hidden files and folders" under folder options)

Open it.

-Search the following (CTRL + F): gfx_device_type

-You should find the following line:
    gfx_device_type 1; # gfx_device_type <int>, Set device type, 0-D3D9, 1-D3D11, 2-GL3 #

-Change the "1" to "0", so it looks like this:
    gfx_device_type 0; # gfx_device_type <int>, Set device type, 0-D3D9, 1-D3D11, 2-GL3 #

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

hi after 2 fresh reinstalations , one of which included a complete delete of the ROME II TOTAL WAR located within the C:\Applications(x86)(not in \roaming)
    i am obly able to to reach the new white splash screen and then black screen appears while the music sounds in the backround normaly.

I was unable to find the line about gfx_enable_directx11 so to turn it to false (which was what saved me in the original release) cause there is no such a line in the pref.txt
    I am runing on a rig with a Dx10 gpu .... so i suppose this is the problem
    do we know what could do the trick here for me?

EDIT just followed the advise above and it worked
    thanks
    Last edited by koultouras; September 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Im still stuck a the loading screen! Patch 15 is the issue here, iv try to run it by even deleting the pref file yet im still stuck at loading screen.

Fix: It was a reskin mod that made it stuck at loading screen. But now i CTD when clicking on custom battle, iv disable all mods yet i still CTD when clicking on coustom battles button.
    Last edited by 1in1class; September 21, 2014 at 01:31 AM.

inquisitor's Avatar Semisalis

Alexander the great reported in 326BC india,that his men where afraid to go into the caves...because of the dragons living there
    Even Herodotus wrote...that he saw wingend serpents in arabia.
    The word Dinosaur wasn't in the english dictonary untill 1860...WHY??
    Because now we question the existence of god...Thats exactly what the elite(nwo,bohemian club,bilderberg group and all the other sunworhippers) want.
    Hollywood,the music and game industry are now ruled by the illuminati.Just check how many times you see a pyramid(satanic symbol),or 1 eye(the all-seeing eye of horus=satanic symbol),a checkered black and white floor or walls(masonic floor) in games,movies and cd covers.They hide messages in there products.
    And dont accept the FEMA chip....its the mark of the beast

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ofi123 View Post
    I used this solution to fix the screen going black problem but the emperor edition patch cause the problem to occur again.

-Go to your Rome 2 folder
    C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2

Open it.

-Once in the file click Ctrl-F, and in the text box paste in the line below:

gfx_enable_directx11 true; # gfx_enable_directx11 <bool>, Enable DirectX 11 rendering #

Change the text of "true" to "false"

gfx_enable_directx11 false; # gfx_enable_directx11 <bool>, Enable DirectX 11 rendering #

After trying to look at the preference.script again I couldn't find the "gfx_enable_directx11 true". So I look around and found this
    So I assumed D3D11 means directx11. With that I changed the value to 0 (I didn't know what GL3 is) and save the changes. Currently no problem so far.

tl;dr version
    I believe gfx_enable_directx11 has been replaced with gfx_device_type. Follow the steps below if your screen turns black. Not sure will work for cut scenes since I didn't encounter problems with the cut scenes.

-Go to %appdata%/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/Scripts/

Open it.

-Search the following (CTRL + F): gfx_device_type

-You should find the following line:

-Change the "1" to "0", so it looks like this:
    gfx_device_type 0; # gfx_device_type <int>, Set device type, 0-D3D9, 1-D3D11, 2-GL3 #

I'll add this to the OP, thanks for the input.

It annoys me that people have to edit actual code just to allow them to load the game.

EDit - Now added in OP.
    Last edited by The Roman Republic; September 21, 2014 at 08:00 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast