Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Myrmidon Legendary Unit [All Black Armoured Elite Swordsmen]

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Default Myrmidon Legendary Unit [All Black Armoured Elite Swordsmen]

i was rewatching some nice scenes from troy and thought it'd be a cool idea if hellenic factions that ruled thessaly (larisa as capital in Rome II) could recruit myrmidon units.
    they would wear black armour, dark shields and helmets and fight with straight short swords like the linothorax swordsmen.

the unit is extremely expensive (2000 with 500 upkeep) and counts 160 men, able to form a strong testudo and have excellent close combat skills.
    plus they can throw javelins like roman infantry and linothorax swordsmen.

they are be a nice little unit to storm walls or crack an enemy flank as a shock troop and are great in simple close combat. but one should also take care of them, as they are (like all infantry) extremely vulnerable to artillery and light missile bombardement.

here are some screens
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

DOWNLOAD HERE:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188659143&searchtext=myrmidon

Installation:
    simply extract it into your data folder and activate it with Mitchs Rome II ModManager
    path:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data

Special Thanks to Zaskar70, who gave me the new texture files in the right compression.
    without him we would still have just a bronce cuirass
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; May 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Default Re: Myrmidon Legendary Unit

I think its a pretty good idea but instead of mass OP balance them making them extremely good swordsmen with the ability to pila throw before charging, give them increased movement speed and excellent defence. Make them similar to praetorians in terms of stats and that would be awesome. I would love to see the Myrmidons in the game but if they're too OP I wont be able to use them because I expect my elites to be the same as other elites (perhaps with a marginal advantage) otherwise its possible to spam them and break the game as such

I think its a pretty good idea but instead of mass OP balance them making them extremely good swordsmen with the ability to pila throw before charging, give them increased movement speed and excellent defence. Make them similar to praetorians in terms of stats and that would be awesome. I would love to see the Myrmidons in the game but if they're too OP I wont be able to use them because I expect my elites to be the same as other elites (perhaps with a marginal advantage) otherwise its possible to spam them and break the game as such. Great idea though would love it if released

Sorry double post the forum is slow as

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

Maybe have them as a one unit limit?

Sorry double post the forum is slow as

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Trivial View Post
    I think its a pretty good idea but instead of mass OP balance them making them extremely good swordsmen with the ability to pila throw before charging, give them increased movement speed and excellent defence. Make them similar to praetorians in terms of stats and that would be awesome. I would love to see the Myrmidons in the game but if they're too OP I wont be able to use them because I expect my elites to be the same as other elites (perhaps with a marginal advantage) otherwise its possible to spam them and break the game as such. Great idea though would love it if released

I agree to this. Great idea, if someone would be able to do that (well, not right now, maybe when modding gets "easier"), I would absolutely download it!

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Y U NO MAKE TWTEAW IN R2TW?

ofcourse they wouldnt be completely overpowered
    normal armour and javelin damage stats, but excellent morale, speed, and sword and defensive skills.
    their formation would also be tighter to make their testudo effective for hoplon.
    a great unit, not too big but fast and tough. maybe with a buffering comrades bonus.

basic stats:
    swordplay: best, noticeable better than the best vanilly unit
    armour: slightly above average
    defense: highest. equal to praetorians
    shield defense bonus: highest vanilla
    speed: highest vanilla speed for medium heavy units
    stamina: slightly better than the best vanilla unit
    morale: fight to death. period
    ammo: 3-4 javelins
    special ability: testudo
    bonus: buff comrade morale, scare enemies
    unit limit: ?

equipment:

shield: hoplon (are there ones with notches at the sides like in troy?) best would be black or dark grey/brown
    armour: dark leather armour or the dark grey linothorax; shine protectors
    helmet: bronce; type is irrelevant, as long as its hellenic with a black crest; dark shade would be nice
    sword: straight short sword; the one linothorax swordsmen use in rome II
    secondary: a bunch of simple javelins, no pila

EDIT: i'm already experimenting with PackFileManager
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; September 11, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

There are only the regular round hoplon. As for helmet, I'd say a Corinthian.

yeah corinthian is cool, but i'd like to include a few more types
    important is the black comb no matter in what direction
    the unit should be all dark but not too uniform. as it consists of individuals, mostly experienced fighters.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

The thracian helmet has a crest as well.

yep, i know.
    btw: although corinthian helmets werent really used in that time period i'd like to include some.
    you know, the heritage

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

Myrmidons aren't exactly historically correct either, so I think it's fine with a few Corinthians.

yeah they´re mythological mostly. the island actually exists and its people were famous warriors, but there is no evidence that they actually wore black armour and followed Achilleus.
    although Heinrich Schliemann found troy by following exactly homers descriptions.
    furthermore the greeks used to make heroes demi-gods POST mortem, so it is believed that Achilleus actually existed.
    but the excavations at troy show evidence that there was not one long troyan war, but many shorter ones.
    according to homers illias Achilleus and the Myrmidons could've been a famous elite mercenary troop. and as it boosted the morale of the entire greek army to fight with a troop of heroes agamemnon (synonym for mycenaean kings) could've considered worth hiring them.

Historical Info: the name Myrmidons means "ant-people". this is because they used to bring fruitful humus to the bleak and rocky landscape of Phthia like ants.
    the actual myrmidons wasnt just a small black unit of about 50 men like in the hollywood movie "Troy". they were a relatively small people of a few thousand living in the Thessalian region of Phthia. their army was ofcourse not very big, but consisted of a few hundred men.
    they were no city state, but an independed tough people of peasants living in a landscape hostile to life.
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; September 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    ofcourse they wouldnt be completely overpowerednormal armour and javelin damage stats, but excellent morale, speed, and sword and defensive skills.their formation would also be tighter to make their testudo effective for hoplon. a great unit, not too big but fast and tough. maybe with a buffering comrades bonus.basic stats:swordplay: best, noticeable better than the best vanilly unitarmour: slightly above averagedefense: highest. equal to praetoriansshield defense bonus: highest vanillaspeed: highest vanilla speed for medium heavy unitsstamina: slightly better than the best vanilla unitmorale: fight to death. periodammo: 3-4 javelinsspecial ability: testudobonus: buff comrade morale, scare enemiesunit limit: ?equipment:shield: hoplon (are there ones with notches at the sides like in troy?) best would be black or dark grey/brownarmour: dark leather armour or the dark grey linothorax; shine protectorshelmet: bronce; type is irrelevant, as long as its hellenic with a black crest; dark shade would be nicesword: straight short sword; the one linothorax swordsmen use in rome IIsecondary: a bunch of simple javelins, no pilaEDIT: i'm already experimenting with PackFileManager
    Dude that's ridiculously OP :p.Bear in mind that units replenish automatically and without cost, so unless you can actually kill off an entire unit they'll be back fully replenished in 1-2 turns. And it seems like these guys are ridiculously hard to kill off so good luck fighting hordes of invincible ant-men

FaLKReN's Avatar Civis

Awesome, but don't make them too overpowered. If they're on par with the best melee units, that would be quite right.

I'd say give them the same stats like Praetorians and other elite units, so they would be balanced. Maybe make them very good melee fighters, but let them be vulnerable to archers, javelins etc. So fighting off other melee units would be easy, but even trying to attack ranged units would be little "desaster"

yeah as said, they're very vulnerable to range units with their relatively small hoplons. and testudo formation isnt really effective in the game.
    also they run at normal speed. their armour is mail. the only things that are higher are melee attack and defense (manual defense, not hit points)
    furthermore they are extremely expensive (2000 recruitment; 900 upkeep).
    attack is only 2 points higher than praetorians, armour is way lower.
    the only thing that makes them probably the best troop is that they will never root. but if you know how to kill them the AI wont have a big advantage.

great idea looking forward to it, but only macedon should have...

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast