Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 Editor 0.3.2 (updated 19/09 Create New Unit added))

Default Re: Rome 2 Editor 0.3.2 (updated 19/09 Create New Unit added))

Did you test first your pack individually, one at a time and then both but separated to see they are ok.?

No I didn't, but now I just did. But the new one is not working. I looked at the one you sent me as a guide, but I guess I went wrong some where. I don't know where, do you want to take a look? I wish I understood this more.
    Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and The Life..." (John 14:6) Yeshua HaMashiach
    http://khouse.org/

Send it over.

Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Try without unit card. Leave empty the field in unit_variant. I'll suggest once more, make first the basic with the absolute minimum stuff and then add what you want.

Ok I will.

Ok I did nothing with the unit just gave it it's name, fixed the building code, an dthen exported it. But when I looked three are blue (which I guess means empty), And have no info. here is a picture of what I mean:

I tested it and it dosen't work. So do I fill out those spots with info on the unit or leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of West Gondor View Post
    Ok I did nothing with the unit just gave it it's name, fixed the building code, an dthen exported it. But when I looked three are blue (which I guess means empty), And have no info. here is a picture of what I mean:

I tested it and it dosen't work. So do I fill out those spots with info on the unit or leave them.
    Did you import ALL of the TSV files?
    Are you importing the TSVs from the Temp Folder of the Unit Editor which is whee they are saved now?

@husserlTW:
    Im going to attempt my mod again when I get home. When I said .mov I ment .pack file as movie, so have tried both ways.
    Although now I am using your latest 3.03 version I will see what happens.

@Cerberus_AU No, I import the ones in New file, I'm I suppose to put those files that are in the Temp file as well?

no.. I just noticed that they are in "New" folder.. ignore that comment

Im going to test to mods later today. 1 for new unit and 1 for unit size change... will let you know how I get on... One thing I did read here is that Unit mods should be saved as a "mod" .pack and use either the Mod Manager or user.script to get them to load.. will try that also

Ooh this is going to be fun to play with.

I wanted to add a little more variety to my gameplay by having armies of other factions units, like one Roman army of legionnaires, one Greek army of hoplites and pikemen, one barbarian army of berserkers and stuff, and an eastern army with elephants and cav archers and stuff.

Was thinking about just waiting for someone to release a mod to give you a way to access all units as one faction, or even try savegame editing to manually replace units in an army with units of another faction, but with this is looks like I can just add new faction availability and recruitment buildings to the units I want to use.

ok, so I created a new unit and saved it all no worries.
    Imported TSVs inot my new Mod pack with "unita_" as the unique Id
    saved pack as a mod and added pack name to user.script
    removed all other mods (that do work)
    Started game and loaded up a new campaign.
    about quarter of the way through the loading process CTD

So this is what I did when I created the unit:
    Unit Name
    Unit Size: 120 to 300
    Unit Weight: super_heavy to heavy
    Unit Class: inf_spr to inf_mel
    Primary Weapon: rome_spear_elite to rome_hoplite_sword
    Spacing: spear_inf to melee_inf_roman
    Building Codes 98501, 98502, 98503
    Unit Id: 98000

and here is the .pack file:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/23711...tan_swords.zip

Foederatus

Wow, I wish I had seen this before I started modding, it would've made my life so much easier!

It would be better not to mess with Editor's folders, but since myself should probably would have done the same here is how Editor uses them:

When you select vanilla or custom TSV to work on, Editor makes a copy of them in Temp. From that point Editor will read only those TSV from Temp. When you make your changes to a unit and select Save, editor a) keeps in memory only the current edited unit with the new changes and b) passes the changes in the TSVs in Temp folder. So if you select again the same unit you edited, the new changes will be there, since Editor will read the Temp TSVs which have been updated on Save. This procedure is repeated every time you edit and Save a unit. When you finish and select Get TSV, Editor will write only all the changed units -that has kept in memory- on an empty set of TSVs. At the end you will have in Temp the TSV that contain the changed units but also the units that you did not change. New folder will have the TSVs with only the units that were changed and those you will use for your pack. You could use those of Temp too, but why you would like to have in your pack endless lists of unedited units? It will give a you hard time to track errors and possibly more head aches...

If you have blue tables in the final pack that means that there is no TSV created for that table and your edited unit and you should delete them from your final pack. This might happened for 2 reasons: Either you did not made changes in those fields, because you did not like to do so (e.g. required technology). Or you missed it. In the first case there is no problem. In the second case might lead to an error, if that field ought to have been changed.

As I noted in the Help pdf (which I am sure you all have read...), having an entry in Editor does not mean that you can edit it. So why I have all these?

I did that from my experience that in the future we shall be able to change safely most of them or for giving user infos about unit stats that might needed, for the changes he is going to do in other entries.

How do I know what is safe to change?

Change only these you are sure that they have proved working already, following exactly the right way as it is referred in the related tutorial on the forum. For example, when you make a new unit, follow exactly the required steps of the related tutorial. Create your new unit and test it. It should work because I have made the Editor based on that tutorial. If it does not work, then there are 2 possibilities: either the Editor, or the user made a an error. Since so far you have followed a certain tutorial, you have also done certain changes. So it is very easy to spot those changes and check. Same for me, if you cannot find the problem or you think that Editor made one, I can easily check your pack or Editor's code to spot the possible error.

This is crucial and priority at this point and I need all your help here: do first the basic and test. If there is a problem check and if you cannot find the error post your pack for me to check it. In this way we can be sure that Editor is in a level that does the known changes correctly.

After that you can improvise and test additional changes working always on a... basic tested working pack. Use the modding golden rule: go step by step, making one change at a time and test the pack in game. Keep always a backup of your last succeeded pack. If something went wrong then you'll know in which step (and so which changes) need to be revised. Perhaps you find it boring but that's how modding is, especially in the first steps or in a new game. For example make first your new unit if it is good, return and add new model and meshes, or apply another group of related changes. Maybe you think that if you do multiply changes the same time, you'll save time, but in most cases, you will have just the opposite result. You'll spent your time trying to find an error in a labyrinth and probably be disappointed and discouraged. Do not trust modding on luck but on systematic and methodical procedures. When you are familiar to make large scale changing successfully, then you can try to find your safe way of fast working in simultaneously changes.

Keep your work separated in small packs until you are sure that every individual pack works ok. It is easy to merge packs together. Just use different prefix for the tables in every pack.

Remember also that many changes are connected with other change(s) that might needed as well. That is another reason for proceeding step by step. If you success then the benefit will be double: your satisfaction and valuable infos that you will share with us. Perhaps there is an entry needed that must be added in Editor in order to complete a change.

Last, ask, ask and ask again. I am the kind of modder that will help any way I can (depending always on the available free time and real life). And fortunately there are many other good modders that act the same.

From a quick look I had:

@ Man of West Gondor

The tables for text and (most probably) the custom battle are not needed and perhaps you did not wanted them so you have not edited these parts in Editor. But the unit set to unit junctions is needed for a new unit so you should have added that. Probably you forgot to make changes in the Additional Changes on the Editor (you can skip text editing as it is not required for the new unit to work so you can add it later after testing).

@ Cerberus_AU

You seem that you want to make a sword unit cloning a spear user. However there are many entries in land units table of your new unit that carry spear values. I do not know if you can do that what is needed to complete such a modification. Did you followed a guide? I suggest to clone a sword unit when you like to make new sword one. Generally, type of units or equipment, might have unwanted visual effects on battle because they might not be compatible with the available moves of the unit skeleton.

I'll try to have a more thorough look in both packs.
    Last edited by husserlTW; September 20, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

@ Cerberus_AU

Additionally, you missed completely unit set to unit junction table. Also there are not entries for your new unit in some tables like military groups (owner of the unit) or custom battle.

@ husserlTW Ok I add the unit set to unit junctions, in the column of unit_record, would I leave it as Gre_Archer or change it to Ita_Archer?

Okay so I created a new unit and saved it, I want to see it ingame, I press get TSV and this is where I am lost

Also does anyone have a link to the mod manager, I am having problems loading pages in TWC, so looking would take ages

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    @ Cerberus_AU

Additionally, you missed completely unit set to unit junction table. Also there are not entries for your new unit in some tables like military groups (owner of the unit) or custom battle.
    yes I missed them...

Ok so I went back to start again, created new unit of Spartan Heroes
    What I changed:
    Unit Size (Land & Sea)
    Unique Index (99000)
    Unit Set To Unit
    Custom Battle
    Edit Text (Onscreen Name / Short Desc)
    Abilities (Swap Pike Wall for Shield Wall)
    Building Ids (99501, 99502, 99503)
    Edit Group (Didn't change but check it still listed Sparta)

Got the TSVs
    Opened Pack in PFM
    Imported TSVs from "NEW" folder
    all TSVs imported fine excluding "unit_required_technology_junctions" and "units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions" as I didn't change these.

However I did notice that I hadn't yet imported "units_to_groupings_military_permissions"
    I also notice its not in the "NEW" folder
    Editor has not created it!!

So I tested this again, this time instead of just checking Sparta entry was there I deleted it then added it again. Saved, Got TSVs and the same result.. no "units_to_groupings_military_permissions"