Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Province Composition

Default Province Composition

Despite it's many flaws, I still think this game is pretty good(maybe I'm just lucky because I haven't seen many bugs yet). However, although I do understand the province system, I have a urge that requires me to find the ideal composition for provinces.

However, I'm not picky. I'm looking for any province compositions, regardless of faction. So what have you found works best? What do Military/Economic/Food provinces look like in your empire?

Default Re: Province Composition

One town for food, one for money, one for public order. 4 city provinces has military buildings in capital.

I try to synergize with what resources are available. olives, wine, etc tend to get farms and hermes/mercury temples while the province capital uses the commerce chain to boost wealth further. provinces with a lot of natural ports get Neptune/Poseidon temples for the same reason. remember only capitals can build certain buildings (commerce, industrial, sanitation)

Tends to vary as the empire's borders increase. However, most often, I find myself needing food and trying to limit public order costs. A surplus of food ensures that when I capture a city or province that has negative food, mine will not suffer the penalties.

Public Order buildings, Food, income, military production, research/culture. That's usually how I end up in terms of priority.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBoyheat View Post
    One town for food, one for money, one for public order. 4 city provinces has military buildings in capital.
    It is possible to reverse this? Use the 4 city provinces to make big bucks (+% wealth will go farther if you have more structures to apply it to) and use 2 city provinces for military? You may not be able to set up a one-stop-shop but in theory you'd have a better economy.

2gutter67's Avatar Tiro

I put some kind of temple in each city of a province because of the ridiculous public order penalties you get for higher level buildings. Then choose one region for nothing but food, while the rest are fairly balanced. The provincial capital gets military and public order with one market type building.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

The main military, a couple of farms and a temple in each province is the base. From there, whatever is best for happiness/economy, food if I'm lacking and when that's done or I have a lot of money, a second military line like workshops/archers/siege.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Build plenty of public order and keep in mind that level IV buildings, yellow buildings, and some other types can only be built in province capitals. Also remember that you can convert buildings if need be, so keep an eye out for flexible building trees.

Depends on the faction (and especially what kind of temples they have) but for all factions I end up converting small provinces (2-3 regions) into farming territory to free up my larger provinces for either making money or making troops. Mostly I just go for whatever is most profitable using the local resources when it comes to building my economy. I'm starting to feel that a 3 region province is best for my sole military province, although if I limit my troop selection a 2 region works just as well.

Each region village typically has a temple and whichever build I'm going. For villages with docks I either build a harbor (economy province) or level 2 Fishing Docks (to avoid squalor but get "free" food). Occasionally I mix my buildings up a bit, such as Potter/Mint for Celts, but otherwise I usually find Temples to be the best choice.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Allright, so one temple in a province with four cities is enough - the effect of that one temple covers the whole province (the four cities)? Right? Because the province has happiness/unhappiness, and not the individual cities.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    Allright, so one temple in a province with four cities is enough - the effect of that one temple covers the whole province (the four cities)? Right? Because the province has happiness/unhappiness, and not the individual cities.
    The effect of the single temple applies to the whole province, correct. However, depending on what type of buildings you have consrtucted in the individual cities (and other paramaters such as an army being present etc.) the effect of the single temple may not be enough to counter the squalor and you probably need to construct one or more temples. Also different temples have different public order bonuses, so the outcome also depends on the type of temples you choose to build.
    |--------------------------------------------------|
    |Patience is a virtue. Indecision is a vice.|
    |--------------------------------------------------|

2gutter67's Avatar Tiro

Believe me, you want a temple in every single city. Once you start improving your cities public order penalties go through the roof. You need as much happiness from temples as you can get.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Or you can leave your provincial settlements undeveloped. In the end you hit the same equilibrium anyways. Use almost every interior province for food, grain market, amphorae maker, level 2 commercial port, etc for economic benefit. All for no squalor. Use designated frontier provinces for military recruitment. If your economy can afford it you'll want to spread your equipment upgrade centers out of the recruitment provinces. Keep them bordering though, you don't want to walk too far. Spacing them out brings you more return in opportunity cost anyways. I also only upgrade farms to level 3 when necessary. It's not necessary very often though... Also don't be afraid to demolish the out of buildings when you don't need them anymore. Old frontier province is now five turns march from the front? Absolutely turn it into a grain silo. Also keep your naval yards in separate provinces as well.

It's a pretty simple system when you get down to it. Every region was meant to be specialized, and most buildings were meant to be farmland. No more super Edo that can build an entire army in two turns while still subsidizing the rest of your country.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gutter67 View Post
    Believe me, you want a temple in every single city. Once you start improving your cities public order penalties go through the roof. You need as much happiness from temples as you can get.
    I just build one nymph temple. I find it's a lot easier to control public order with the amphitheater chain.

You should plan and specialize each province instead of putting the same stuff in each settlement. Have one region build food and happiness, another region build income and happiness and another region build military and happiness.

I like using 4 city regions for military hubs, 3 for eco and 2 for food. So it looks something like this
    Green - Military
    Blue - Eco
    White - Food

http://goo.gl/CA17JL

Gladiator building in every province capital for public order. Temple in every province with shrine of mercury for income increase. Dedicate certain provinces for food production: Magna Grecia and Corsica et Sardina are two obvious choices for both fishing ports and farm/livestock buildings.

Mainly Italy for military buildings - but if you want auxillaries from certain provinces, make sure to create one province where you can recruit them AND upgrade them.

Specialization can work if you plan it out in advance. I remember I had 10 provinces with only rome and Italy for military production - full 9 legions and 6 fleets, and I was pulling in 14k a turn with all my provinces at 100+ order and 20+ food. This was on very hard/hard (campaign/battle).
    TWC reader since 2006

I also seem to build the Gladiator building for its great public order in every province.

Primicerius

Do temple bonuses other than happiness are region specific (just the settlement) or province specific? In particular, I am wondering about the +morale to troops bonus. I have temple like that in a province of mine, but no upgrade option for troops appeared once the temple was finished. In the same province, I have a horse-breeder, and an option to upgrade cavalry appeared as soon as the building was complete (cavalry were located in a different region, but the same province). I wonder if the temple bonuses work differently.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

the temples specify at the moment of recruitment

I haven't tested if its applied or not a simple math should do the trick

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

The Temple of Mars/Ares has a province-wide effect, as well as the workshops and the training fields.

You could create a solely military province (if it has three minor settlement) if you build only a couple training fields, or probably more of them if you also build Circus Maximus, in combination with the Bread and Games edict and Pantheon, and / or the research and wonder bonuses. I had done that in Italy but it was ridiculous, as Romans are already overpowered. Moreover the limited build slots become problematic when you want to replace losses to multiple armies.

I believe that Temple of Mars (max level) + 2 Workshops (Weapons + Armour) + both types of barracks are enough, given that after you expand too much you will probably build a second recruitment center somewhere closer to your fronts.

My biggest problem was food consumption (~ -40), but I discovered that if you don't tax a province it doesn't consume food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast