Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Hellas Resurgent - The "Classical Greek" Unit Pack

Dustindesrctin's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Hellas Resurgent - The "Classical Greek" Unit Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmcm13 View Post
    If you want to play with only the Athenian units, you can download the PFM, open up my .pack, navigate to variantmeshes, then variantmeshdefinitions, and then delete all of the definition files for the Spartan units. That'll let you use it with Playkers mod.
    Tyvm Can't wait to see what else you do with this mod

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmcm13 View Post
    If you want to play with only the Athenian units, you can download the PFM, open up my .pack, navigate to variantmeshes, then variantmeshdefinitions, and then delete all of the definition files for the Spartan units. That'll let you use it with Playkers mod.
    Is there a simple way of using PFM to revert the changes to the spartan units shields?

Dustindesrctin's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Puerkl8r View Post
    Is there a simple way of using PFM to revert the changes to the spartan units shields?
    I believe the file is under variant models -> man -> shield -> hellenic_hoplon_spartan_unpainted.variant You should just right click and delete it. Alexmcm correct me if I'm wrong. I think I'm getting the hang out editing units though!

Bummer! I can only download teh first mod. The other ones give me an "internal server error" when I click on em. Mod looks great, thanks for your work!

I made a video with this mod you can use it as intro if you like it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DON9JidWf9Q

dom385's Avatar Senator

To change the shields you have to extract each of the spartan units, delete the shield entry and then find the shield entries from the original files and put those in. I used ones from another mod file because it added in some of the bronze shield patterns. You have to delete the shield patterns in the hellas pack file as well, this has worked for me so far anyway.

Lycodelphos's Avatar Tiro

I think you have made a great start here! Being an historian of this era with an interest in the military aspects including armament of the individual warrior as well as ethnic and cultural variations, I can appreciate the need to correct the inaccuracies and oversights of the vanilla release. I look forward to your continuing effort. If you need any advice or clarification please feel free to ask. A pm will always be answered in a timely manner. One thing I would like to see before I download your mod is a screenshot of one of the pike units with sarissas instead of their secondary weapon, the xiphos. It would be great to see the unit in the phalanx stance if possible. Thanks. L.
    Proud Contributor of: "AGON: REBIRTH OF THE HELLENES" & "Patria Libera"
    "There's such divinity doth hedge a king,
    That treason can but peep to what it would,..."

may i ask how you did this? i want to try my hand at some modding

I like this mod, but perhaps a version without the changes to the thorax swords/pikemen? The description you provided is correct, however you changed the armour to something totally opposite of what the unit was intended for, kind of pointless reforms if they are given the same outdated armour the reform intended to replace.
    Last edited by Mr. Os; September 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

HELP
    Fok, i can't make them work no matter what i try
    put them in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data..didnt work
    edited my user script, use ModManager where it appear as a movie pack...still do not want to go and I stuck with those SMURFS hats
    any suggestions peps ?

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Quote Originally Posted by GERULA666 View Post
    HELP
    Fok, i can't make them work no matter what i try
    put them in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data..didnt work
    edited my user script, use ModManager where it appear as a movie pack...still do not want to go and I stuck with those SMURFS hats
    any suggestions peps ?
    Run mod manager as administrator?

You think you could add a larger variation of armour to the standard units?

for example, more corinthian helmits, full plate, heavier lorinthax(sp?) etc etc

Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Alright, first of all, the bronze Thorax chestplate provides much more protection than chainmail, just like Lorica Segmentata provides much more protection than Lorica Hamata. The reason why both fell out of use, is due to cost of manufacture, not because chain mail is any more effective. Thorax Hoplites/Swords/Pikes, are all late game units, by which point your faction should have expanded quite a bit. As such, they would have enough money and resources to bring back the more effective types of armor.

At some point I'll hop in and take a screenie of the Thorax Pikes in hoplite formation.

As for a request to know how I did it, the best way to find out is to download the PFM and open my mod, glance around, and see what changes I made. I first learned by reverse engineering Profs helmet mod, and it was that mod that taught me about variantmeshes, unit slots, armor attachment slots, and many of the things that are used in this mod.

And as for more diversity amongst units, I don't plan to do anything of the nature any time soon. As it stands, the changes I've made to units represent what I wanted out of the Greek factions. One of my favorite sub mods for Roma Surrectum 2 is one that was panned really badly by many people, one that added Corinthian helmets to the Spartans. I liked it because, while historical accuracy is awesome, I much prefer the idea of historical authenticity. There's nothing that says that a sufficiently wealthy city state wouldn't have brought back bronze armor and the corinthian helm with the way its modeled in the game, which removes the number one drawback of the helmet, namely, the lack of ability to hear. However, in this game, if you look at the Corinthian helmets, they have the same kind of 'ear hole' cut into the side as Thracian and other helmets. So I see it as definitely plausible, although that could be colored by my love for that armor.

i click on the link and for the love of me can't find a download screen. it just brings me to a blank screen. i clicked on the main download

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Puerkl8r View Post
    Run mod manager as administrator?
    i have disable my UAc... but even so, still nothing and in modmanager this pack appears as a movie.pack
    Last edited by Menumorut; September 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Quote Originally Posted by I2ain_2_Battle View Post
    i click on the link and for the love of me can't find a download screen. it just brings me to a blank screen. i clicked on the main download
    Had the same problem.. I just right click and hit save as.. or save target link if you're using firefox

Alex, have you considered giving the more minor Hellenic kingdoms a Hoplite unit that is better than the standard Hoplite? For a lot of those factions, that is their absolute best unit. I guess I could go through the files and let all of them recruit Veteran Hoplites ;p However something more flavorful would be cooler!

Once I finish up learning how to add units and add the units to Sparta/Athens, I may make city specific Hoplites for the minor factions such as Pergamon and Syracuse, etc. They'll probably be a cut above regular Hoplites, but I may also allow them to recruit the later Greek units ala Thorax units.

That may be the best bet. In terms of time invested for reward. Allowing them all to recruit Thorax units. However, faction specific Hoplites would be very cool, especially as the All Faction Unlocker mod progresses. Let's be honest now, Trapezos looks awesome with their kraken shield ;p

Oh, btw, I seem to be getting the pixel of doom when I try to DL the first 1.3 version. Haven't tried the others.

A gorgeous mod so far. And I like your approach.
    I'm an historian myself yet when it comes to videogames i prefer the 'feel' of authenticity over obsessing over each little girdle, sash and colorchoice.
    Playing Sparta, Athens etc in this game is more Alternate Universe than anything else.
    And until someone gives us a beautiful mod where we can replay the Persian Wars etc. All we do is... hypothetical.
    Hence I don't mind Corinthean helmets etc.
    Especially if the overall 'feel' of the factions remains grounded in history. (no weird fantasy elements à la Gladiators and super ultra ninja assassins à la Rome 1)
    Keep it up. Once it expands i'm probably going to use it as my main go-to-mod for Greece.

A few requests though:

- in support to what a predecessor said. It might be interesting to give the 'generic' greek cities an above average hoplite unit.
    - Some Greek Cities had their own (but less glorious) variant of the Sacred Band, so it might be cool if they get 1 pricey elite unit. Cheaper than say the elite Spartan unit, the Praetorians etc. And a little bit less powerful too. This could simulate the fact the 'lessers' did have their own 'professional elite' at times.
    -Will you also be modding some unit stats and techs?