Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Units mod - heights and Roman Reskin

Default Re: Realistic Units mod - heights and Roman Reskin

Would it be possible to have a version where all units are 1.5x or 2x current height? I know that would throw off scaling with trees and walls, but I feel like the units are way too tiny and it would be so much more immersive to have generally larger units. When you load up Rome Total War 1, everything is big and in your face. In this game it's like playing with ants much of the time.
    Last edited by jpinard; September 18, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    The realistic heights only link does not work properly. It's linked as : http://1.04%20http//www.speedyshare....c-Heights.pack

Also, the realistic heights only pack causes my game to become stuck on the loading screen and my game won't start up.
    This is exactly what's happening for me.

CenturiO-LuciuS-VorenuS's Avatar Civis
    Germany, Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz near by a small proportion of the Limes

Great work

Thank you very much, Prometheus

Marcus Antonius> Caesar has many more legions than the Thirteenth
    Scipio>Yes, on the far side of the Alps
    Marcus Antonius> Winter does not last forever. Spring comes. Snows melt.
    Scipio>That is a threat!
    Marcus Antonius> No, I assure you, that is no threat. Snows always melt.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Is it possible that some 3D models are now more different in height from their 2D sprite equivalents? It seems to me that there is some more LOD 'popping' going on with this mode. Not sure though.
    Good catch, I am noticing this too and it's starting to bother me a little. This brings back memories though, I remember back in the day re-texturing units for Rome I and I had to alter the sprites.. what a load of work especially if you're doing all 3 Roman factions lol.

There should be a way to fix this and someday you will find the sprites folder, gotta make your mods as perfect as you can I would help you but, modding becomes an addiction for me when I start and I'm not ready to get sucked in to it at the moment lol.

Still though, well done, this was a much needed fix. To the people complaining about "but the germans were that tall". Google human proportions and you will find most of the time, the taller a human is, the only thing that really changes is the length of the legs (not so much the torso or head etc.) The system CA implemented here is taller = make everything bigger, therefore what you get are giants not tall human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
    Would it be possible to have a version where all units are 1.5x or 2x current height? I know that would throw off scaling with trees and walls, but I feel like the units are way too tiny and it would be so much more immersive to have generally larger units. When you load up Rome Total War 1, everything is big and in your face. In this game it's like playing with ants much of the time.

I guess u. Want this for looking better at the units , so I sugest to downlad a camera mod that allows u to get more lse with zoom and more freedom with the camera movement , that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian21 View Post
    Good catch, I am noticing this too and it's starting to bother me a little. This brings back memories though, I remember back in the day re-texturing units for Rome I and I had to alter the sprites.. what a load of work especially if you're doing all 3 Roman factions lol.

There should be a way to fix this and someday you will find the sprites folder, gotta make your mods as perfect as you can I would help you but, modding becomes an addiction for me when I start and I'm not ready to get sucked in to it at the moment lol.

Still though, well done, this was a much needed fix. To the people complaining about "but the germans were that tall". Google human proportions and you will find most of the time, the taller a human is, the only thing that really changes is the length of the legs (not so much the torso or head etc.) The system CA implemented here is taller = make everything bigger, therefore what you get are giants not tall human beings.
    The germans are still taller but with the right proportions and variances, still I increased their height a bit more compared to archeological data for cinematographic stress and couse people expected germans to be the talllest , but are no more like big trolls now.

The realistic heights only link does not work properly. It's linked as : http://1.04%20http//www.speedyshare....c-Heights.pack

Also, the realistic heights only pack causes my game to become stuck on the loading screen and my game won't start up.
    Have u removed the other older file ?I will look into this when I get back home but , could u isolate the issue? Or u mean u did download twice the same pack?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    Quite a bad mod - romans rarely reached that size before importing gaul slaves and eventually intermingling with them, so especially out of place with the starting date of the game.
    Indeed. I don't understand how the OP came up with his numbers. Even the modern Italians aren't that tall on average, 5'8" - 5'9" (172.5-175 cm) depending on the region they come from, and that's the average, not minimum height. Let's not forget that modern Europeans are often of mixed blood, with northern Italians tracing their genetics at least partially to naturally taller, Germanic tribes. Add to that better diet and living conditions that stimulate growth and you can bet modern Italians are at least a couple of inches taller on average than the Roman soldiers ever were.

From all the sources I've gathered, the average Roman male would be around 5'6" (167.5 cm) at the time, with soldiers being naturally slightly taller, around 5'7" (170 cm). 5'10" (178 cm) was considered the ideal height The legionaries were almost definitely shorter at the time Rome II takes place, as no other nations were entitled to enlist in the army (it was only in the 2nd century that they'd allow any citizens of the Roman Empire to enlist). If Marius only allowed 5'10" or taller Roman males to enlist, he'd have troubles forming more than one full legion of able-bodied soldiers.

Whilst I agree that the heights of different units definitely need some tweaking, this mod cannot in any way be deemed as realistic. It is far from that and it seems to stem from the OP's insecurities (as evidenced by other threads in which he called the CA's artistic choice of portrayal of the Roman soldiers as "racist").

Actually, scrap my earlier post, it seems that the OP has tweaked the heights accordingly. I must had his earlier version of the mod in mind and didn't check the changes properly.

Anyway, I'll try the heights only version of the mod and report back with the findings. I'd edit my earlier post but I don't really know how to do that.

Thanks!

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Night battle against iceni Yesterday and no giants confronting romans I saw. And thanks a lot for giving some historical justice to the roman roster..if I look to the roma surrectum one I feel me cry...

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian21 View Post

I forgot to comment about the sprites , I have tested and my sprites look fine accordingly to the heights , not sure if this is due perhaps to lesser settings for graphic cards ? I don't get any popup.

To the hijackers of that thread please bring your frustrations and insecurities about heights elsewhere with ur bad comments on the mod,i have not changed any original version fomthe mod , just tweaked with new versions, I have purpousely exagerated the german heights to just give a stress distinction for them , but historically they were not that high according to archeological data . If you like the half giant trolls made by CA 2m tall and romans 1.60 dwarves then don't download and avoid spamming there thanks. At mod is more historically correct on heights with just a sloght accentuated heit on germans.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    I forgot to comment about the sprites , I have tested and my sprites look fine accordingly to the heights , not sure if this is due perhaps to lesser settings for graphic cards ? I don't get any popup.

To the hijackers of that thread please bring your frustrations and insecurities about heights elsewhere with ur bad comments on the mod,i have not changed any original version fomthe mod , just tweaked with new versions, I have purpousely exagerated the german heights to just give a stress distinction for them , but historically they were not that high according to archeological data . If you like the half giant trolls made by CA 2m tall and romans 1.60 dwarves then don't download and avoid spamming there thanks. At mod is more historically correct on heights with just a sloght accentuated heit on germans.
    Here's an exercise to see it clearly. Place your tall units (German Berserkers or Auxilliary infantry) next to a unit of Legionaries. Zoom up close and you will see it looks fine. Then slowly zoom out, bit by bit, and you will slowly notice that the taller units start to tower over the Romans again. Just need to re-size the sprites really, it may be a bit of work but gotta polish the mod for perfection's sake

As for the problem with the "Heights Only" mod, I placed that one in first and the game would not load up. Then I downloaded the "Full Mod", deleted the "Heights Only" and the game would start up. I tried again by deleting the "Full Mod" and pasting "Heights Only" mod and same thing, the game wouldn't start. So there's something in your Pack file for the "Heights Only" mod that is conflicting with the original data pack. I opened it with a pack reader and can't pinpoint the issue.

But again, thank you for the mod, has improved the zoomed in combat between "Barbarians" and Romans immensely

You are welcome , the original vanilla were definetly too unrealistic for any human .
    Now are tuned to normal , perhaps I should separate tough the Roman reskin work from that mod?
    But I didn't want to spam the forum with several mods for minor stuff.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for your effort, friend. By the way, is this compatible with save games and Radious Mods?

Wow I always brushed pass this mod, cause I have been playing barbarians v barbarians and haven't noticed the heights, Just did a custom battle Sparta vs macedonia and wow Sparta units are all like 7 feet tall and Macedonia are tiny.. wtf was ca doing . looked so dumb, thanks heaps for this mod .

Quote Originally Posted by TuCoT View Post
    Thanks for your effort, friend. By the way, is this compatible with save games and Radious Mods?
    Should work as my md only alters visual , it doesn't even conflict with multiplayer .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

I use realistic heights with some radious mods and it works properly. Cannot renouce to it. Despite the fact that introduce different heights is an appreciable feature, CA proportion are pure arcade. Looking at the barbarians in the first post pics made by Prom I reminded Baldur's gate warrior. Not quite historical or realistic Today I'll search Arcani on the field, to take some in-action shots

Arcani are a separate mod from this ...

This is because they belong more to the borderline units and also including new units makes the game not compatible with online gameplay . As well as does the modification of units stats.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for your answer Prometheus ts but I can't get work your mod with Radious Mod, game stuck on starting screen when I put your mod file to data. Is there a way to merge your mod with Radious Mod?

There are too many radious mods and there is not a single thread for what he does to comprhensively understand what changes he did , too scattered content and I dont know what those different mods do in the specific, you should ask him perhaps to see what is conflicting?

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

Thanks for the re size download.

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Can some one please upload ANOTHER working link. I love the work, but common man, don't use crap upload sites that have time limits. Use Mediafire, 100% reliable.
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; September 20, 2013 at 07:21 PM.